YEAR AFTER YEAR, COACHING FAIL FAIL FAIL

kingwilly

You are an arrogant slob of a coach. You could not coach a bunch of pony or peewee players, let alone grown professional men.

Today was about as sorry an excuse for a coaching performance as I've seen out of you. Worthless. Without merit. Devoid of value. Laughable to the point of tears. Flameout of the season.

HOW do you keep your job? It is sad enough that the failures have been so glaring and so consistent but it is even more painful since this team COULD be pretty damn good, were it not for your fudgy coaching fingers all over it.

You are a floundering buffoon. Hang it up.

You are an arrogant slob of a coach. You could not coach a bunch of pony or peewee players, let alone grown professional men.

Today was about as sorry an excuse for a coaching performance as I've seen out of you. Worthless. Without merit. Devoid of value. Laughable to the point of tears. Flameout of the season.

HOW do you keep your job? It is sad enough that the failures have been so glaring and so consistent but it is even more painful since this team COULD be pretty damn good, were it not for your fudgy coaching fingers all over it.

Yea im pretty fed up with Marvin not able to get his team to win the big games. I dont know maybe he tries to hard, calling this the "biggest game", maybe he puts to much into one game. Instead of just letting the guys go out and play, maybe hes making them think to much, or putting so much pressure on the team that they cant think straight. Hell who knows anymore.

However i dont think its just Marvin though, i think Zim needs alot of blame for the late season fall. I have said it again and again in these posts, but why does his defense always start out so strong, but finishes flat! His defense is so undisaplined, and cant tackle come the end of the year. They play so soft, when they need to play physical! Sure we can say injuries, but that dosnt explain the lack of tackling, or the lack of CB pressure on the WRs. Hell everytime we turn around the WRs are 10 yards open, and getting huge chuncks! So im not really sure what to make of Zim anymore, i like him, and i like how he is a firey guy, but why does his defense fall flat at the end of the year....kind of like that 09 season.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone with today's game.

But did anyone else see Marion Barber singlehandedly give the game to the Broncos? Runs out of bounds with 30 seconds to go and the the Broncos with 0 timeouts. Then fumbles in overtime. Then I just watched the Cowboys COMPLETELY self destruct up by 12 with 5 minutes to go. These losses were worse than the Bengals game and that's saying something.

It's not just us. There's alot of terribly pissed off football fans all over the country tonight.

I'd like to put more blame on Zim...but man, that secondary he's working with is just totally chewed up. There were some Fun With Clock Management issues that I had, mostly with players going out of bounds when it was dumb, where you blame the day-to-day coaching effort.

I think Zim's goal was to make TJ Maxx make tough throws instead of letting Foster beat them, and he did. Just seems Zimmer doesn't quite have the personnel for that right now.

So, it sucks...but this one just doesn't go into my "Jesus, is Marvin Retarded?" hall of fame. Or it could be that the kids are in bed and I'm self-medicating.

I'd like to put more blame on Zim...but man, that secondary he's working with is just totally chewed up. There were some Fun With Clock Management issues that I had, mostly with players going out of bounds when it was dumb, where you blame the day-to-day coaching effort.

I think Zim's goal was to make TJ Maxx make tough throws instead of letting Foster beat them, and he did. Just seems Zimmer doesn't quite have the personnel for that right now.

So, it sucks...but this one just doesn't go into my "Jesus, is Marvin Retarded?" hall of fame. Or it could be that the kids are in bed and I'm self-medicating.

Agreed. The best teams in the league and through the playoffs always have great depth. We don't. The draft is set up nicely for us this year. If we can add some solid players to help depth wise, we'll be better in the upcoming seasons. 2005, 2006 seemed to be the players not knowing how to sustain. 2009 and this season seem to be mostly because we don't have those plug in players for depth that are needed for a sustained run.

Today was a great example. All the guys Houston was missing and they still won? Ridiculous. Look at the Jets. They get stronger as the season goes on. The Bengals fade.Such a bummer. At the beginning of the season I get nervous about Zim leaving. Then by the end, I don't care. I'd like to see Jay Gruden become the head coach before we lose him.

You have got to be s**tting me the blame for the second half falls squarely on grudens shoulders not zim who is doing the best he can with what he has unlike gruden.

Ced benson 92 rushing yards first half

Ced benson -2 rushing yards second half

I mean wtf we had a 16 point HT lead run the f**king ball to death ced was gashing the no 2 def why throw when u should Play clock controlled ground game.

I would rather have Bruce coslett back as head coach before gruden gets it.

Unless marvin overruled him and wanted to pass then it's all marvins fault but that's something we will never know.

I'd like to put more blame on Zim...but man, that secondary he's working with is just totally chewed up.

Yes, it is, but I don't think the secondary played that badly yesterday. I mean, we aren't sitting here today stewing over how Crocker can't cover or how Pacman got burnt or how Jennings needs to be cut. Yates wasn't beating coverage downfield. In fact, he had plenty of time to throw downfield on many, many plays, but apparently couldn't find an open guy. He ended up killing us because the LBs bit on every single run fake and left guys like Daniels and Walter get open up the middle 10 yards downfield. WRs covered downfield? Okey doke, here ya go guys, easy 10-12 yards, move the chains, next down.

When they actually put a guy on Daniels things got better. I remember Nelson getting a hand in and breaking up a pass. But they didn't stick with it.

Bottom line is, Houston moved the ball mostly at will on the Bengals yesterday. If not for a goal line fumble and a missed FG, the Bengals lose this one by 10+ points.

I'd like to put more blame on Zim...but man, that secondary he's working with is just totally chewed up.

Yes, it is, but I don't think the secondary played that badly yesterday. I mean, we aren't sitting here today stewing over how Crocker can't cover or how Pacman got burnt or how Jennings needs to be cut. Yates wasn't beating coverage downfield. In fact, he had plenty of time to throw downfield on many, many plays, but apparently couldn't find an open guy. He ended up killing us because the LBs bit on every single run fake and left guys like Daniels and Walter get open up the middle 10 yards downfield. WRs covered downfield? Okey doke, here ya go guys, easy 10-12 yards, move the chains, next down.

When they actually put a guy on Daniels things got better. I remember Nelson getting a hand in and breaking up a pass. But they didn't stick with it.

Bottom line is, Houston moved the ball mostly at will on the Bengals yesterday. If not for a goal line fumble and a missed FG, the Bengals lose this one by 10+ points.

No the secondary was not that bad, its that Zimmer in the second half was playing prevent defense. He was letting guys free in the middle of the field, while his cornerbacks were playing 10 yards off the recievers. Nobody was challenging the recievers at all it was horrilbe. Even Lap during the broadcast was saying, why is Zim playing prevent now, he needs to be more aggesive. So Yates was able to dink and dunk all the way down the field it was horrilbe.

The games before that its the same thing, they cant tackle, they cant play the run, they dont press recievers, i just dont get why his defense down the stretch always falls flat. Look i like Zim as much as anyone, but i want somebody who is going to play aggresive all through the game, not just the first half. I want a defense that is consistant through out the year! Steelers lose there best defense guys, but yet they somehow stay at the top of the ranks....im just sick of it!!

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP

...as I was saying....

I've been saying it since 2008. I have made my peace with Marvin for the gift of the unexepected runs of 2009 and 2011, and admit he has some skill at salvaging what look like lost seasons ahead of time, but I remain unconvinced the man has what it takes to coach well and prepare a team for a big game.

Marvin certainly didn't have a very good day yesterday... but for what it's worth, I'm not sure why everyone is having such a big reaction.

This team (and the '09 team for that matter) was a very flawed team.

The defensive secondary was a liability, that only got worse when their best player went to IR. The offense had no running game. When they played teams with a good passrush, Dalton was under constant pressure. Unlike other rookie QBs who have been to the playoffs of late, Dalton was asked to go out and win games without the help of a dynamic running game. And he had only one reliable weapon... a rookie, who is currently dinged up, and facing double and triple coverage.

I'm sorry... that's not the description of a Super Bowl contender. I was really happy the Bengals made the playoffs, and these guys earned the opportunity... but anyone who is pissed that they lost let the "better than expected" season get to their head. This is not a playoff team yet.

Perhaps the idea that Marvin can't get this team over the hump is valid... I don't know. But I'm not sure this season can be used as evidence of that fact. Marvin got this team playing over its head, and they were able to beat the teams that they were supposed to beat. But even in the games they won, their youth and lack of talent in key spots was always an issue. And when they played good teams, they weren't able to overcome it.

In my opinion, the Bengals need to have an offseason that is equally good as the last offseason. They need to add significant talent at key positions, whether through the draft or FA. If they manage to do that, and we're here here next year without a playoff win, I'll bump this thread and say I was wrong about Marvin.

Let me get this straight, you coach a team with a rookie QB, rookie #1 WR, rookie OC, without an offseason, their best interior lineman out, their best DB out, a team that was predicted by most to be the worst team in the NFL to the playoffs, for the third year in the last 6, and you suck? Did I think he did a poor job of coaching THIS game, yes. I also think he should be given the key to F%^&ing city to get this team this far.

If they underperform next year it will be time to part ways, this season has always been about next.

Let me get this straight, you coach a team with a rookie QB, rookie #1 WR, rookie OC, without an offseason, their best interior lineman out, their best DB out, a team that was predicted by most to be the worst team in the NFL to the playoffs, for the third year in the last 6, and you suck? Did I think he did a poor job of coaching THIS game, yes. I also think he should be given the key to F%^&ing city to get this team this far.

If they underperform next year it will be time to part ways, this season has always been about next.

I think you just summed up the Marvin dichotomy nicely. He can quickly turn crappy into pretty decent. He struggles taking the next step.

I think the frustration isn't so much that we didn't get our money's worth this year. We did, and about 6 wins more than expected. The frustration is that this game was very winnable, and it was to a large degree mental mistakes, not lack of talent, that cost them the game.

I think you just summed up the Marvin dichotomy nicely. He can quickly turn crappy into pretty decent. He struggles taking the next step.

I think the frustration isn't so much that we didn't get our money's worth this year. We did, and about 6 wins more than expected. The frustration is that this game was very winnable, and it was to a large degree mental mistakes, not lack of talent, that cost them the game.

I believe Marvin can make the next step if he gets more playmakers. But to do that the organization has to make changes, and admit and correct some mistakes. The best example is a player like Maulaluga. If players like him are allowed to remain as starters, there will be no playmakers to get us over the hump. Geathers? Crocker? Lack of playmakers. The Hoodie couldn't get this team to the next level.

Cheer up Marvin haters. We could be Falcon fans.

They've got 4 straight winning seasons, going 43-21 with Matt Ryan as their QB. But now trailing 24-2, they are going to be 0-3 in the playoffs, including back-to-back blow outs in the wildcard round.

Yea Mike Smith cant seem to win the big one either. They gave up a hell of alot to get Julio Jones, to get them past this point and couldnt do it.

9 years of mediocrity,

Do you happen to remember the 10 years the preceded it?

3 playoff showings in nine seasons

Technically 3 in the last 7 seasons... and only a handful of coaches can claim better results.

ZERO playoff wins

In '05 he lost his QB on the first play of the game. This year he had a rookie QB with only one (banged up) playmaker on offense. I don't think there are many coaches out there that would get significantly better results.

What are we doing, working on the 20 year plan now?

Well he worked with what he was given when he came here in '03... and got a lot more out of them than his predecessors.

This year, we came into this season well aware that this was a fresh rebuild. The fact that the Bengals were in the playoffs at all was nothing short of miraculous.

Dalton got some important experience this year. Now continue to build on the foundation they built this season. If they don't get a playoff win next year, I'll join you in calling for Marvin's head.

If you can look at yesterdays match-up and tell me that we had better players and more playmakers than the Texans, then you can blame Lewis.

The Texans are the better team with the better players. It's been that way all year. If/when the Bengals get more playmakers, especially, on defense and the Bengals are still losing first round playoff games, or missing the playoffs, then we can point the finger solely at Lewis.

He just took a completely flawed team to 9-7 and a Wild Card birth. He deserves much more credit than blame.

The Bengals are NOT better than the Texans! We lost because they are a better team and have better players, especially better O and D lines. Period.

I'm in line with thinking this team making the playoffs this season was a miracle. I think with a very good draft, good use of the FA market, and full OTA's and camp will get this team where it needs to be. I do think the game was poorly coached however and it is irritating, but like Derek, will allow another season before I get on board calling for Marvins removal.

Secondary and line help on both sides will equal a playoff win in 2012...