Bye week priorities

Stripes

It's all in the thread title. We're in the excruciating, boring bye week. The Bengals will be scrambling to shore up whatever characteristics of the team they perceive to be weaknesses, as well as they can. What do you think are the team's biggest problems right now, among those which can actually be addressed during an off week (i.e. not glaring roster holes or Mike Brown)?

• I'd like to see Gruden attempt to incorporate a little of the 2009 style overloaded formations as a means of bolstering the running game. I don't want a ton of it, as too much would neutralize other strengths like the pass-catching tight end(s). Just give me a few plays per game which might set up decent blocking mismatches and aid Cedric who seems to have slowed down a little bit.
  • Investigate our other options for kick/punt returner. Tate has looked a little better over the last two games, so this isn't as important to me as it was over the first few. Still, I think we could use an upgrade and there are players on the roster which should be able to at least make a discussion of it. They might hesitant to let Scott return kicks for the injury risk (considering Ced's full season uncertainty), and we've already seen Caldwell mostly suck in that role. What about Andrew Hawkins? He seems to have impressive shiftiness, though I don't know if he has any history returning kicks. Cedric Peerman could be worth a look.
  • Give Brandon Johnson nearly all of the time at MLB in practice (probably likely anyways) since it seems clear he's the better of two bad options. Rey's injury looks like one that could linger and frustrate, and Skuta is definitely not the answer. I can only imagine the slaughter we'll suffer in division games both against tight ends in the receiving game and in the running game if he starts again.
  • More Bernard. More Leonard. Bernard has been inconsistent running the ball, both at his own fault and because of the line's problems. Still, his skillset makes him a big play threat on most of his touches. I don't care if Ced complains about it, and honestly I don't think he will unless the Bengals start losing constantly. Leonard is obviously a fan favorite because of his third and fourth down heroics, but I want to see his role expanded some. He's a secret weapon, defenses aren't likely to gameplan specifically for him at any point until the Bengals give them a reason to.

Unlike 2 years ago when they had peaked or were about to peak both offensively and defensively, with a steady decline about to begin, this team can get better on both sides of the ball, so I hope they spend this two weeks with a lot of film and also putting in some additional looks. More of the pass game and run game might could be installed and worked on as well as sharpening up what they are already doing, and, on defense, maybe adding a blitz package or two, especially a run blitz, to help cover Malauga's absence.

I want the coaching staff to put the foot down and see if they can find another level with this team.

Such a fun and unexpected year so far.

Safety!

Try to get a complete game from the O-line, they either run-Block well or pass-Block well during any game. They seem to never be able to do both in the same game.

Put some more RB/TE screens in and add some short routes for Scott and Leonard. Both can give a spark after the catch. Both of these are more WCO than what is cuurently being called WCO.

Game plan the first drive in Seattle to stretch the field, at the line of Scrimmage and down the field, after the Indy game I think most teams are going to make Dalton beat them. So far he has been decent at getting it done.

I dont have any problem with Tate as a returner, I dont think he has lost a ball and is middle of the pack in the NFL in average return yardage. I would like to see him in the game at WR to try and stretch the defense every once in awhile. He is suppose to have very good straight line speed.

Mostly just continue to play hard and with desire, what a different team from last year.

WHO-DEY!!

Give Brandon Johnson nearly all of the time at MLB in practice (probably likely anyways) since it seems clear he's the better of two bad options. Rey's injury looks like one that could linger and frustrate, and Skuta is definitely not the answer.

I always wanted to have a look at Keith Rivers at MLB. he seems lost on the edge. I assume that Rivers is eligible to return from PUP next game-- so what is Rivers' ETA? Pac-Man is all we hear about.

Now wait a second...I got yelled at for making threads like this after games. Is there a double standard going on? Most of the things that were mentioned were things I said before also, except for that LG with the initials NL that shall remain nameless.

All the threads on the board are supposed to be about lolly pops, sugar cookies, and hand grenades as long as the Bengals are winning!

:lol:

Now wait a second...I got yelled at for making threads like this after games. Is there a double standard going on?

Yes, there is absolutely a double standard.

I don't even bother reading these types of lists of complaints. I skim them and then use some planned ignoring more often than not. So you can count yourself honored that I would stoop to comment on yours.

:cheers:

First of all we need to put our '12 and '13 newly aquired 1st rnd draft pick's up for trade to NE and get the Ocho show back in Cincy got damnit!!

Jk, what up zoners?! Long time....

Bengals D looks good and I'm very happy with the D-Line so far. They have really stepped it up.

The offense is no longer predictable! Thank God!

Oh hell,, good news CP to Oakland is a done deal!

Bengals missed an opportunity here, Ronnie Brown was just acquired by the Lions for Jerome Harrison and a 7th round 2013 draft pick! Wow he would have been a quality backup for Benson and someone that can be a work horse. Good news is he is a FA after this year.

Have you seen Ronnie Brown play recently? The Bengals have 4 RBs on the roster that I would rather have.

Bengals missed an opportunity here, Ronnie Brown was just acquired by the Lions for Jerome Harrison and a 7th round 2013 draft pick! Wow he would have been a quality backup for Benson and someone that can be a work horse. Good news is he is a FA after this year.

Have you seen Ronnie Brown play recently? The Bengals have 4 RBs on the roster that I would rather have.

The guy has only had like 13 carries all year long for 38 yards. For one that isn't far off what Benson has been averaging lately, and two everyone knows sometimes runningbacks need to get a few carries in a row to get in a rhythm. This small sample size doesn't say as much as the play of McCoy who toting almost ALL the carries including third downs, and the success he is having. It would have been nice to at least a little insurance. I just don't think Marvin has the confidence in Scott that he can be an every down back. If he did the Scott would get the ball more, and honestly I doubt Benson would have been signed back this past off season.