Media Shift

skyline

Have you guys noticed all the positive media the Bengals have gotten this week? I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

First, Lombardi gives us/Dalton some praise:

http://www.nfl.com/v...ning-confidence

Then, pretty much everyone (playbook crew included) predicts us to win on the road:

http://www.nfl.com/v...gals-vs-Jaguars

And then, the most shocking of all...Marshall Faulk, long time Bengal-hater, says that Marvin Lewis has to be considered an early contender for coach of the year. My jaw pretty much dropped on this one. It's towards the end of the video:

http://www.nfl.com/v...uarterly-report

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys noticed all the positive media the Bengals have gotten this week? I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

Then, pretty much everyone (playbook crew included) predicts us to win on the road:

And then, the most shocking of all...Marshall Faulk, long time Bengal-hater, says that Marvin Lewis has to be considered an early contender for coach of the year. My jaw pretty much dropped on this one. It's towards the end of the video:

Earlier this week I read an article where the media ranked the Bengals as over achievers at this point in the season. All things considered, you can't argue. Nobody expected jack from this team.

Still way to early in the season for any coach of the year talk. This team is very young, which is good, but also could be bad when trying to put toghter wins in a row. Im just hoping that this week they can pull off a win, and show to themselves that they can win games in a row. They have to learn how to be successful, and how to handle positive things in this year. If they can do that, then i think this team can be good for years to come, but one game at a time.

Earlier this week I read an article where the media ranked the Bengals as over achievers at this point in the season. All things considered, you can't argue. Nobody expected jack from this team.

Yeah but let's be honest. Most media types look at pretty much just game highlights and that's about it, unless they are going into an important game for the other team. They might also take a glance at the stat sheet as well. It's funny to listen to some of the guys covering Bengal's stuff and call players by the wrong names. It's just that bad. The Bengals have a stereotype in the media's eye of being losers, or simply the "other team" playing in a game against contenders. So to hear the media say anything other than 'bungles' or this and that is refreshing, but don't expect it to last long. The Bengals would have to string along about 3 or more winning seasons to get over the hump of being a have-not.

This from Bill Simmons' (ESPN) weekly picks:

Andy Dalton (-4.5) over Blaine Gabbert

Conversation with my son in four years …

Son: Hey, Dad, is it true the L.A. Jaguars passed on Andy Dalton in the 2011 draft?

Me: Yup. They gave up the no. 49 pick to move up six spots and take Gabbert.

Son: We could have just stayed put and grabbed the Red Rifle! This sucks.

Me: For God's sake, just root for the Patriots already. Please. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!

Simmons is a humor guy, but the gist of that is a pretty damn fine compliment. Seems like Simmons is seeing star quality in Dalton.

Let the eating of the crow commence. Don Banks:

• Give it up for the Bengals, the team I unwisely predicted would have the worst record in the league this season. The mantra in Cincinnati is already clear: And the rookies shall lead them. The 3-2 Bengals are maybe the most stunning success story in the NFL through five weeks, and you have to credit a Mike Zimmer-coached defense that ranked first in the league entering Week 5, and the rookie combination of receiver A.J. Green and quarterback Andy Dalton on offense.

Who said rookie receivers can't make an impact in the NFL? Green had five more catches for 90 yards and another touchdown in Jacksonville, and that gives him 24 receptions for 402 yards and three scores on the season. Dalton continues to keep up his end of the bargain, with 179 yards passing, two touchdowns and just one interception against the Jaguars.

And the Bengals next week draw the winless Colts (0-5) at home, giving Cincinnati the ability to enter its Week 7 bye at 4-2, matching 2010's entire win total.

Let the eating of the crow commence. Don Banks:

• Give it up for the Bengals, the team I unwisely predicted would have the worst record in the league this season. The mantra in Cincinnati is already clear: And the rookies shall lead them. The 3-2 Bengals are maybe the most stunning success story in the NFL through five weeks, and you have to credit a Mike Zimmer-coached defense that ranked first in the league entering Week 5, and the rookie combination of receiver A.J. Green and quarterback Andy Dalton on offense.

Who said rookie receivers can't make an impact in the NFL? Green had five more catches for 90 yards and another touchdown in Jacksonville, and that gives him 24 receptions for 402 yards and three scores on the season. Dalton continues to keep up his end of the bargain, with 179 yards passing, two touchdowns and just one interception against the Jaguars.

And the Bengals next week draw the winless Colts (0-5) at home, giving Cincinnati the ability to enter its Week 7 bye at 4-2, matching 2010's entire win total.

Absolutely stunning to read.

Riley from espn said that this team would win 0 games and that they couldnt even beat a team from the MAC confrence. So i wonder what he would say now LOL

I just want to see how this team reacts to all of this. Im so happy they went on the road and won 2 games in a row, the question is can they keep it up. One thing this team could really never do is learn how to handle winning in this league, now things have changed, players have changed coaches have changed, can they finally learn how to handle success???

Riley from espn said that this team would win 0 games and that they couldnt even beat a team from the MAC confrence. So i wonder what he would say now LOL

I just want to see how this team reacts to all of this. Im so happy they went on the road and won 2 games in a row, the question is can they keep it up. One thing this team could really never do is learn how to handle winning in this league, now things have changed, players have changed coaches have changed, can they finally learn how to handle success???

I've never heard of Riley, but I will say f**k him and the horse he rode in on.

As I said in my first post...I don't like the positive attention one bit! That's when things generally start to fall apart.

Don Banks basically saying that we've already got next week's win wrapped up is pretty much the nail in the coffin. Hope you guys are ready to fall back to .500 next week!

As I said in my first post...I don't like the positive attention one bit! That's when things generally start to fall apart.

Don Banks basically saying that we've already got next week's win wrapped up is pretty much the nail in the coffin. Hope you guys are ready to fall back to .500 next week!

F**k Don and his horse too.

I know you're joking but you (and they) have to expect to get some positive press if they win. And that's an important test in itself: can this team handle some success? They have to be able to if they want to be a contender. And I would say they showed us something today by following up a big win with another win. For a young team they showed a surprising amount of poise and maturity. Now they are going to get more praise and they have another team they should beat at home next week. The Bengals haven't won 3 straight since weeks 7-10 (includes bye) of 2009. Let's see how they handle it.

I know you're joking but you (and they) have to expect to get some positive press if they win. And that's an important test in itself: can this team handle some success? They have to be able to if they want to be a contender. And I would say they showed us something today by following up a big win with another win. For a young team they showed a surprising amount of poise and maturity. Now they are going to get more praise and they have another team they should beat at home next week. The Bengals haven't won 3 straight since weeks 7-10 (includes bye) of 2009. Let's see how they handle it.

The Indy game won't be any walk in the park. They are a proud team who is starving for a win.

Usually the media when talking about a Bengals win, talk about how the other team lost the game, versus how the Bengals earned the win. I think that is starting to change for two reasons. First, the defense is ranked #1 and the stats don't lie. It's nothing that the media can twist and construe to their liking. Secondly, the Bengals success is coming at the hands of some rookies in important positions. This is no longer a team with a stigma on certain players, where they are expected to collapse in certain moments. These rookies are what you call 'too dumb to be scared.' They are going out there and playing with the big boys of the NFL acting like they belong there and not backing down to what is being thrown at them.

The Indy game won't be any walk in the park. They are a proud team who is starving for a win.

Yeah, it's got me a bit nervous to be honest. I feel like Painter's starting to figure some things out. It's going to be up to our offense to perform well, because I see the defense giving up a big play or two with guys like Reggie Wayne and Garcon on the field.

Speaking of the Colts, the meltdown is in full swing over at coltfreaks.com.

Best thing I read over there is that Dallas Clark is playing like sh*t and looks like he doesn't even want to be on he field any more. Please let that be true!

I was marveling over Dallas Clark the other day. It's really amazing how fast he goes from fantasy stud to absolute nobody. I wonder how much of it really is Clark slowing down and how much of it is simply Manning being able to make anyone look good.

I feel like Painter's starting to figure some things out.

Perhaps. But that doesn't explain how the Colts defense gave up 4 TD passes to the Chiefs. Seriously... the Chiefs only had 4 TD passes all year going into this week.

It's not a gimme. There is no such thing in the NFL... especially when you have a rookie QB. But this is certainly a game that they "should" win.

Just like with the Jags... they "should" have won that game. They almost didn't... so you can't take anything for granted, but yes... they "should" beat the Colts.

For once, their sched is tailor made for getting a good-but-not-great team into the playoffs. Other than Houston, their non-division sched is just putrid. NFCW and AFCS are both pretty gross in general, with SF and HOU being the only teams worth mentioning.

Hard to say how good this team is until they face PIT or BAL. They're at least entertaining to watch.

I was marveling over Dallas Clark the other day. It's really amazing how fast he goes from fantasy stud to absolute nobody. I wonder how much of it really is Clark slowing down and how much of it is simply Manning being able to make anyone look good.

I caught a little of the colts game last week and I saw Painter hit Clark with a patented Manning-style in-stride over-the-middle headed-downfield pass, so clearly the kid can make the throws. But at 0-5 the Colts season is basically over and I have to wonder how many guys are just going to quit. I guess we'll see.

For once, their sched is tailor made for getting a good-but-not-great team into the playoffs. Other than Houston, their non-division sched is just putrid. NFCW and AFCS are both pretty gross in general, with SF and HOU being the only teams worth mentioning.

Hard to say how good this team is until they face PIT or BAL. They're at least entertaining to watch.

I'll be in attendance for the TN game. I get why you may have overlooked them, but they can be a scary team when their defense is on form.

I'll be in attendance for the TN game. I get why you may have overlooked them, but they can be a scary team when their defense is on form.

Yeah, I debated whether they're a 'good' team or not - their offense is pretty unexpectedly rough this year, especially the running stylings of Chris Johnson. Upon further review, I did forget about that week 2 win against BAL, so I see what you mean.

More positive press that will make skyline crazy. Guess who makes Peter King's "fine 15" this week?

15. Cincinnati (3-2). At some point we have to stop calling this a fluke. Cincinnati's D has held foes under 300 yards in four of five games.

And Clark Judge loves him some Andy.

11. Yes, Cam Newton is everything Carolina hoped and then some. But where's the love for rookie Andy Dalton? So he doesn't throw for a gazillion yards. He's 3-2. He has one less touchdown pass than Newton, one less interception and a better completion percentage. But here's the only number that matters: He has two more victories.

All I know is, I am actually looking forward to seeing how this team and the youngsters perform against the Steelers and Ravens.

It might get ugly, but either way around, I can't wait.

As for what the media dinks have to say, who cares ?? Yeah, it could creap into the heads of the young guys, but Dalton seems to have a pretty good down to earth feel about him and his leadership has been outstanding to this point. Green is small town as well and I am not going to worry about that at this point.