Bengals vs. Jaguars Pre-game thread

Spor_tees

Well we will finally get to see a game on TV as the Bengals head to Jacksonville for a battle of rookie QBs between Dalton and Gabbert. The Jaguars lead the series 11-6 but the Bengals won the last matchup in Cincinnati in 2008. The opening line is basically a pick'm with the Jaguars being a 2 point favorite at home.

It's going to be basically a battle of team strengths as the Jaguars bring their running game versus a stout Bengal's defense. The game might come down to one important thing, and that is if the Bengals can stop the run and get enough pressure from their front 7 to force Gabbert into some bad throws and interceptions. Right now, the Bengals have to stick to the offensive game plan of playing not to lose. Safe throws with the occasional over the top pass to Green mixed in with run after run play.

So basically this week comes down to the obvious, win the turnover battle, make few penalties, and control the ball.

I think the Jags are the worst team in the league right now, so I'll be terribly annoyed to see a loss Sunday (even when considering it's a road game). If the Bengals' front four can generate pressure, we'll be fine. I don't think it'll be prudent to blitz terribly often, since the defensive gameplan will have to be focused on the running game.

Offensively, just run the damned ball. Do whatever is necessary to keep Dalton as comfortable as possible. That is to say, don't throw bombs on 2nd and 10.

I think the Jags are the worst team in the league right now,

That's it. Now we're jinxed. Jags win 73-0. Thanks, TDB! :P

Jacksonville did beat Tennessee in week one in a low scoring game. Since that game the Titans are undefeated so take that for what is worth. I think the Jags are going to want the same pound the rock kind of game as the Bengals. Look for a very short boring game where special teams makes the difference.

Bengals do sometimes make rookie QBs look like they are the next big thing, so hope that trend stops this week!

They need to stop MJD, and force the rookie to throw the ball. I think this will be tough to stop MJD so hope they are ready for it.

A big difference I see this year in the defense versus years past, is they tackle much better. They aren't always looking for that big hit, but more to wrap up and try to strip the ball and create a turnover. I like it and hope to see it continue with the veterans teaching the young guys.

Looks like the Jags might get Kampman back this week. They put him over Smith which could cause some problems. If Smith has problems then that might require the Bengals to run a lot of formations with a TE on his side to give extra help, or make a RB have to stay in and pickup blocks.

The line is running between -2.5 for the Jags to -1.5 for the Jags. So still pretty much a pick'm game.

One more thing that bothers me with the bengals, they can not handle any kind of success. They win one game, and come out flat and not ready to play the next week. This would be a huge win if they could, just win back to back wins, maybe give them some confindence that they can win more then 1 game at a time. So hope this week they come out fired up and ready to work.

For once i would love to see a complete game where the offense and defense and special teams all play a great game. Run the ball alot, i hope Gruden after last game sees that when he runs the ball it really helps out dalton, and when they run it over 20 times they have a better shot of winning.

One more thing that bothers me with the bengals, they can not handle any kind of success. They win one game, and come out flat and not ready to play the next week. This would be a huge win if they could, just win back to back wins, maybe give them some confindence that they can win more then 1 game at a time. So hope this week they come out fired up and ready to work.

For once i would love to see a complete game where the offense and defense and special teams all play a great game. Run the ball alot, i hope Gruden after last game sees that when he runs the ball it really helps out dalton, and when they run it over 20 times they have a better shot of winning.

The Bengals have always played better as an under dog. I just hope like you do, that the offense continues to make progress instead of slipping back into the depths of turn overs and 3 and outs.

My thoughts?

It's too bad that Jordan Shipley is out this week.

My thoughts?

It's too bad guys like you are so slow to grasp the news that Shipley will miss this week and the next one as all of the weeks that follow. In fact, your weekly Wes Welker fantasy will have to wait until next year to produce fruit....although I guess it's still possible for you to waste your time writing about what might have been.

So here's an idea whose time may have come.

Start a thread about how this season would have been Jordan Shipley's breakout season. Speculate about the stats he would have produced. And by all means do wax poetic about the records he would have broken.

And last, don't forget to include the bird pictures that support your analysis.

:cheers:

Reedy pointed out a nice stat. The Bengals Defense has the most 3-and-outs in the NFL right now (tied with Baltimore)... with 24 through 4 games. Last year at this point, they only had 10.

It was noted by someone else that last week the Bengals faced a Bills team that was averaging 38 points/game. This week they face a Jaguars team that has scored 37 points so far this season.

Practice tidbits from Hobs.

-- Bobbie dropped about 12 lbs. during his suspension and is "down" to about 335. No call yet on whether he'll play.

-- Dontay Moch finally got back to practice. Crocker, Jennings and Miles sat out.

-- Donald Lee says Jermaine Gresham = Jermichael Finley.

My thoughts?

It's too bad that Jordan Shipley is out this week.

My thoughts?

It's too bad guys like you are so slow to grasp the news that Shipley will miss this week and the next one as all of the weeks that follow. In fact, your weekly Wes Welker fantasy will have to wait until next year to produce fruit....although I guess it's still possible for you to waste your time writing about what might have been.

So here's an idea whose time may have come.

Start a thread about how this season would have been Jordan Shipley's breakout season. Speculate about the stats he would have produced. And by all means do wax poetic about the records he would have broken.

And last, don't forget to include the bird pictures that support your analysis.

:cheers:

I'll look into that and I like the bird picture idea.

Anybody else excited to see Moch playing, and i hope he gets to this week, not sure if he will though. I just want to see what zimmer can do with him on 3rd downs, this guy is fast. So hope we can see him play.

Im also ready for Williams to come back, i know hes not that great, but i really think the right side did miss him there, plus he is a great locker room guy and guys really seem to like him. I wouldnt mind seeing that McGlyn move to Livings side though, even though Livings has not been horrilbe.

I agree with pound the ball this week, run it and run it more and use all 3 RBs. Thats one thing that worries me about Gruden, when Dalton was struggling big time last week, Gruden instead of helping him running the ball he actully passed it more. Then when in at half and came out running the ball. So i really hope this week he decides to run the ball early and often, and do play action after that. No more then 20 some passes this week please.

Here is my prediction...

1) The Bengals offense, led by high-powered Red Dawn and his sidekick the Greene Hornet, will have a breakout game. Ced runs for a buck and a quarter, RD will pass for 300 plus interception-free yards and three tds.

2) The Bengals defense will crush the Jag offense like a grape, netting four sacks and two picks. Jag's total rushing yards? 36.

3) The Bengals will win the game by a violent score of 31-17, asserting not only its dominance, but achieving a winning record for the first time since week one, and matching last year's entire win total.

4) Instigator will watch the game on tv, pissed off that his predictions have not come to pass as somehow we once again play down to the competition and hand the Jags a 24-13 victory.

Anybody else excited to see Moch playing, and i hope he gets to this week, not sure if he will though. I just want to see what zimmer can do with him on 3rd downs, this guy is fast. So hope we can see him play.

Im also ready for Williams to come back, i know hes not that great, but i really think the right side did miss him there, plus he is a great locker room guy and guys really seem to like him. I wouldnt mind seeing that McGlyn move to Livings side though, even though Livings has not been horrilbe.

I agree with pound the ball this week, run it and run it more and use all 3 RBs. Thats one thing that worries me about Gruden, when Dalton was struggling big time last week, Gruden instead of helping him running the ball he actully passed it more. Then when in at half and came out running the ball. So i really hope this week he decides to run the ball early and often, and do play action after that. No more then 20 some passes this week please.

The interesting question is who do they cut in order to make room for Big Bobbie?

The interesting question is who do they cut in order to make room for Big Bobbie?

Interesting question, but many variables involved personnel wise. If/when will Ced be down for three games? Is the Jerome Simpson issue finalized, or could he face a vacation from the Pope? Depending on the timing and answers of these questions, the answer may end up being...no one.