What We Learned Today

HoosierCat

Hobson wrote this this morning.

Everyone is trying to put a label on this 2011 Bengals locker room without The Ocho and T.O. and it is so easy to say it’s less egocentric, more unselfish, and the chemistry flows like champagne. And without quarterback Carson Palmer, it’s even easier to call them The Young and The Leaderless.

But like all the pundits have already made up their minds on how bad the Bengals are going to be, let’s slow down just a little bit.

One assistant told me on Saturday that while locker room chemistry is extremely important, it takes time to become visible. He wants to see them go through some adversity first.

That’s code for their response to big injuries and tough losses, be it blowouts or of the last-minute variety. Another long-time insider says he’s looking to see how they react “to getting hitting in the mouth. And they will get hit in the mouth.”

That’s going to take a month or so.

Actually, it took about two quarters.

I dunno how good it will ultimately be, but we got us a team. :bengal:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned the offense is more disciplined this year (less dumb delay, holding, and motion penalties), Marvin still isn't a very good coach (bad replay challenge on the PI call), and the coaches still have problem making halftime adjustments (continued to throw at Haden and didn't call many screen passes.)

With all that said, I'd rather see this young team we saw today than the team from last year.

They sure as f**k handled Dalton's injury and adversity better than the old crew ever did when bad stuff would happen.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Everyone remember what happened when Palmer got Kimo'd? The locker room fell apart, Chad started throwing punches, and we lost.

Not today.

They sure as f**k handled Dalton's injury and adversity better than the old crew ever did when bad stuff would happen.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Everyone remember what happened when Palmer got Kimo'd? The locker room fell apart, Chad started throwing punches, and we lost.

Not today.

There is just so much I like about the new direction of this team, but this may be at the top of the list.

I learned that the defense still needs to find a person who can cover the TE.

I also learned that Gradkowski is not a huge, Palmer-to-Kitna drop-off in ability.

As well, I learned that Tate is as good, or better, a returned than Scott or Cosby.

Add to all of this that the team has the conditioning to play hard for 60 minutes. That is a good start, considering the lock-out.

That's a good point - and that team actually had the previous year's starter as a backup. Makes me wonder what they could have done without Ocho the last couple years. Oh well.

I personally learned that Carlos Dunlap will be pretty freaking good - you know, whenever he's ready to practice. ;)

It is worth mentioning that Boling held up well, as we did not hear his name uttered, nor did we see his large body flopping on the ground.

I guess this means they did not miss Fat Bobbie...

I think Nate Clements held up well, too. Some were saying he was washed up but I disagree. He looked solid.

It is worth mentioning that Boling held up well, as we did not hear his name uttered, nor did we see his large body flopping on the ground.

I guess this means they did not miss Fat Bobbie...

I can't say I'm surprised that they didn't miss Williams, I thought he was done last year. That Boling was capable was a nice find, tho, I agree.

Well it was a battle but they came through winning on the road with the back up QB ( well neither qb has played much). AND THEY DIDNT LOOK TO BAD.

Reminds me of that line in the movie Major League when one construction worker is talking to another construction guy and he says,

"Maybe these guys aren't so f**king bad after all!"

Dalton said he didnt think it was broken, he was going to come back in but said he couldnt grip the ball right. Said he is fine and plans to play next week.

I think Dever will be tough, there defense will be tough with Von Miller in there now, so hope the o-line holds up!

Anybody want to see Andy get more bootlegs, or more plays that get him out of the pocket, i like that he can either throw, or run if need be.

Also i thought the o-line did ok, but is going to have to get better, to give Andy more time. Would still like to see some more chunk plays out there.

Bengals are smarter than the Browns, though still not smart enough to kick the ball out of bounds instead of to a great returner with a lead late in game (holy Matt Dodge)

still can't force a turnover, but held ball a LOT better

Didn't we get an INT there at the end?

I loved the first quarter and nothing after that.

I can't recall a game ever where they won by 10 points and felt they deserved to lose.

Any team can throw TD's to players not being defended.

Hey Cook, go f*ck yourself.

Seriously?

I loved the first quarter and nothing after that.

I can't recall a game ever where they won by 10 points and felt they deserved to lose.

Any team can throw TD's to players not being defended.

You do realize that was a designed play? They didn't just happen to catch them at an off moment? And that the D forced like 6 straight punts in the second half, plus an int? And Benson had a 39 yard TD run to ice the festivities?

Man. Tough crowd. :huh: