Bengals - Jets game talk

kingwilly

Here is my short list:

1. O-Line. They will be challenged by the Jets front. Livings and Williams need to anchor. I will also be watching Smith to see if he improves his footwork. He over commits and can be beaten with an outside-inside move because he is not full speed on his bum foot. I would like to see if they can get Hudson and MJG some snaps before Dalton leaves, too.

2. Dalton. Watching the game again on my DVR, Andy needs to play at a faster tempo. It just looks sluggish. West coast offense is all about tempo and rhythm. I didnt see that against the Lions. Dalton also needs to show me he can hit the intermediate timing routes. The 20-30 yard throws, where he is throwing very hard to a spot, are where I am worried about his arm strength. Gotta be able to throw those and be accurate or he will look like Cutler tossing picks.

3. Defensive backfield. Who is the guy playing in Leon Hall's uniform? It sure does not look like the Hall I know. Hall will be pushed by Holmes, Mason and Plax, depending on where he lines up. He needs to find his form. Clemens also needs to show he has some skills. These guys will be toast if they cant cover. Sanchez locks onto his target, so they should be able to key off of his eyes, so hopefully we won't see Leon getting spanked for 2 TD's in Q1. Also, would like to see someone step up at safety. Specifically, if Reggie Nelson can be an impact player. There are 17 DBs listed on the roster. You'd think they could find 2 or 3 who can fulfill the role for the D...

4. Linebackers. Can these guys gel? Can Rey lead the D, and play downhill against a good run team? Can Lawson and Howard cover Keller/RB's, or will we see something akin to Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson floundering around the fieldturf? I think these guys are actually pretty good but Rey needs to get them to solidify and communicate.

5. Carlos Dunlap. Could we please see him work against D'Brick? I'd like to see him light up Sanchez early and spook him pretty good. Dunlap is this teams best hope to pressure the passer. If he can't pick up where he left off, its gonna be a l o n g year.

6. Huber. He had a decent game against Detroit, so I'd like to see him carry over with some consistency. If we expect the offense to struggle, it will make the season a bit easier to take if Huber can require opponents to "earn" anything they get by pinning them as far back as possible. Last year he was spotty, despite the Bengals having good punt coverages.

So, that is what I'll be watching for. Did I miss anything?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real simple here in week #2. Show some discipline in thier assignments and keeping penalties to a minimum. You know, the basics...

I'm not real concerned about Dalton throwing for 300 yards and 2 TD's tonight. Hell, i'm not worried if they even win the d*mn game.

Let me see some understanding and some solid play. Let's get some of the younger guys on both lines in the game earlier to see what they can do. Two inparticular are Boling on the o-line and McDonald on the d-line.

There are other places to watch like the starting LB's and DB's, but i'm just looking forward to watching some more football tonight.

GO BENGALS !!!

I expect the offense to struggle again and I expect another pseudo-meltdown in result. It'd be very nice to see the O-line hold its own in pass protection even a fraction of the time, but that's a lot to ask of this particular unit.

How about the f**king defense that's supposed to be a strength actually make a stop or five. In the end though none of it really means anything.

The team needs to improve on every aspect of there game, so its time they start to improve tonight.

The score really dosnt matter, would like to see a win, but better yet i would love to see the o-line improve big time tonight, i would like to see Dalton stay calm, and complete passes, a couple tds would be nice.

Over all no injuries please!!!

Oh cant forget the defense, how about some pass rush, i think that would help out the CBs big time, and tighter game play from the CB, and for the linebackers to keep improving.

Actually i'm already sick of hearing people down Dalton. It's not that i'm all up his backside either.

Has anyone bother watching some other preseason games ?? It's not like any of these new guys are setting the world on fire.

They have done about the same, and some worse, than Dalton.

While Dalton didn't do anything magical in his first start, he was 11-15 with his completions, which gives his guys chances to make plays after the catch.

I think as long as he continues in that way, the offense will be just fine.

Actually i'm already sick of hearing people down Dalton. It's not that i'm all up his backside either.

Has anyone bother watching some other preseason games ?? It's not like any of these new guys are setting the world on fire.

While Dalton didn't do anything magical in his first start, he was 11-15 with his completions, which gives his guys chances to make plays after the catch.

I agree. I think it is more about the O-line than it is Dalton. Dalton does need to show some progress, expand the playbook a bit and do a little more but that can only happen if the line really can progress and make it possible for Dalton to show it.

I think when you look around the league, the other highly drafted QB rookies are all in the same position. Newton did not look so hot. Gabbert struggled. Ponder looked OK, Locker looked poor, Mallett threw an INT but has looked impressive. All of them have a steep learning curve, so that is expected.

Dalton will have his hands full tonight. The Jets will absolutely tell us what this O-line is made of. Dalton's progress will be on full display, so we will all have a better sense of where he is at. The good thing is that Benson usually runs very hard against the Jets, and I bet we'll see him bringing it when his number is called.

We'll know more in about 5 hours. tick-tock.

I think Dalton looked pretty good last week, after that int. It impressed me that he came back after that and moved the ball pretty good, i was happy with his first outing. Remember he really only has been practicing for like 3 weeks, and that was his first NFL start. So im not throwing him under the bus at all. I would like to see more progress though, and continue to improve tonight. Its going to be tough, but if the o-line gives him a chance we can see what he can do.

Again, when your rookie QB is making his first start and goes 11-15 with his passes, THAT is something to be happy about.

I suppose people can argue about his arm strength all they want even though I believe that is certainly debatable.

However, give me a QB that can complete nearly 70% of his passes in a game and i'll take it.

I mean as opposed to the guy who has a strong arm and a 45% completion percentage.

Accuracy is a strength of Dalton's, the o-line simply needs to improve it's pass blocking.

What do I want from him tonight ?? Good decisions and continued progression.

I'd like to see him throw a TD tonight as well.

Hey guys, new to the board. Any idea of a thread to watch the game tonight?

Welcome WHODEY68. There will be a thread to talk about the game here. Inside that thread someone (I hope) will post a link to watch it on a streaming link. Hoosier provided last week and wouldn't be surprised if he did it again tonight.

Thanks Billy, and thanks for the gracious hospitality....ill check back around 7ish for the thread and hopefully the link. From upstate NY...not nuch WHO DEY up here....trying to get my fix!

Upstate huh? I spent some time in NYC, Pearl River and Nyack. Never got upstate at all.

Thanks Billy, and thanks for the gracious hospitality....ill check back around 7ish for the thread and hopefully the link. From upstate NY...not nuch WHO DEY up here....trying to get my fix!

I just noticed you joined back in '06, so in reality you're not that new here. Where have you been hiding?

Lol...yeah i joined back in '06, but, if ya can believe it......forgot my password and just kinda forgot about the site until i was reintroduced recently by a friend. Was never really a big computer guy until i got a smartphone. Now Im on the Godamn internet all the time. Thats my story, as pathetic as it is. Ill be a regular now. GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!!!

Oh and thanks for the link Hoosier...WHO DEY!!

Lol...yeah i joined back in '06, but, if ya can believe it......forgot my password and just kinda forgot about the site until i was reintroduced recently by a friend. Was never really a big computer guy until i got a smartphone. Now Im on the Godamn internet all the time. Thats my story, as pathetic as it is. Ill be a regular now. GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!!!

Oh and thanks for the link Hoosier...WHO DEY!!

You're doing this on a phone? Do you not realize how small the boobs look on a PHONE!! :P

Lol....very small indeed. I have a computer but the wife is ALWAYS on the Godamn thing....FACEBOOK!!!!ARGHHH

That being said...I have a WONDERFUL imagination. Hence being a Cincy fan!!

You can't leave home without it.

Inactive info per reedy:

The Bengals will have 15 players not suiting up tonight, however TE Jermaine Gresham, who missed most of the week with an undisclosed injury, will be playing. Those not playing are WR Landon Cox, CB Brandon Ghee, CB Adam Jones, S Gibril Wilson, CB LeRoy Vann, HB Jay Finley, LB Dontay Moch, LB Keith Rivers, LB Roddrick Muckelroy, OG Otis Hudson, DE Jonathan Fanene, WR Ryan Whalen, DT Pat Sims, DE Carlos Dunlap and DT Lolomana Mikaele.

So, unlike last week when the Bengals were down to their sixth option at kick returner and had only five healthy receivers, the Bengals have options.

Not playing tonight for the Jets are QB Mark Brunell, RB Shonn Greene, LB Bart Scott, OG Brandon Moore, OG Trevor Canfield, OL Robert Turner, WR Derrick Mason, DT Sione Pouha, DL Marcus Dixon, LB Calvin Pace.