Tell us how you really feel

cincyhokie

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- The Cincinnati Bengals do not appear to be missing either WR Chad Ochocinco or QB Carson Palmer, even though both of them played large roles during recent seasons. Ochocinco was traded to the New England Patriots at the start of training camp while Palmer has said he would rather retire than stay in Cincinnati.

Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth appeared to take a shot at both of them when he said, "We didn't lose much of the leadership of this team, really."

He also said of the quick emergence of rookie QB Andy Dalton and first-round WR A.J. Green: "One thing that is kind of different is we have young players who are excited for their opportunity."

/>http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/08/bengals-veterans-put-carson-palmer-chad-ochocinco-in-rear-view/1

Glad the air is getting cleared but at the same time scared that Mike Brown would take Palmer back in a heartbeat.

Still laughing my ass off at that Whitworth quote.

The Whitworth quote speaks VOLUMES. He is, and has been, this team's leader. Well respected and knows what it takes to win.

I think this team is going to suprise some people this year. Playoffs? Probably not. A team that is hungry and looking to take it's frustrations out on other teams in route to some good wins? Likely.

The Whitworth quote speaks VOLUMES.

Meh. The whole team played like sh*t last year.

I'm not really interested in hearing any more excuses about Carson and Chad. And I'm really, really not interested in hearing any more talk about how the new guys are so much better.

What I am interested in is how all the guys who played like sh*t last year took a look at that fellow they shave in the mirror every day and committed to doing better for him and the team.

I'm not really interested in hearing any more excuses about Carson and Chad. And I'm really, really not interested in hearing any more talk about how the new guys are so much better.

What I am interested in is how all the guys who played like sh*t last year took a look at that fellow they shave in the mirror every day and committed to doing better for him and the team.

F**k yeah.

Yep turnovers really killed this team, i was looking at 09, and 2010 stats today. Palmer in 09 had 13 ints, and Benson only had a couple fumbles. In 2010 Palmer had over 20 ints with a bunch of pick 6, and Benson fumbled a ton! Now there was alot of things that went into the turnovers like horrible WR routes things like that, but wow turnovers killed this team.

Cant forget about the penalties also LOL! Yea the whole team forgot how to play physical, its like they lost the chemistry that they had in 09!

This team's failure last year started with SoP, included Marvin and Brat and ultimately was so toxic that the place had to be re-tooled.

Hearing Whit articulate his view on leadership is telling. Carson was, in the end, a quitter. A very rich quitter. Chad was a part-time football player, as was TO.

Lest we not forget the reasons why the Brat passing attack was such a bust, going back to 09. Bringing in Coles, who by all measure was an immense waste of space, instead of having Simpson develop, was the beginning of the tailspin. In 09, given the extra attention afforded Chad by secondaries, why Coles and Caldwell did not have more production was a joke.

For 2010, the Antonio Bryant fiasco was simply a continuation of the ignorance towards Simpson. Not pursuing guys like Boldin, Marhsall, or even Vincent Jackson and instead focusing in on Bryant, is signature SoP. Plus, the former medical staff so badly floundered assessing Bryants knee, that they themselves ended up sacked. Left with no other WR options, and still ignoring Simpson, they go get TO. Might as well have signed Coles again. All guns blazing to pass, and ignoring the workhorse who led the NFL in rushing for most of 09, the team death spiraled, padding stats when games were out of reach, in a statistically meaningless exercise.

Forward to late 2010, Chad out, TO out, and here emerges Simpson. Ends up looking like a poor mans Calvin Johnson. The heads scratched about WTF had this guy not seen the field in 3 years exposes the powerless Marvin, who plays the players SoP directs... Sock puppet coach ML attempts to deflect reality by trying to take the blame for "not giving him a chance" but we all know it is SoP pulling the strings as to who should play.

If anything, 2011 allows us to see what can happen with some very youn and very talented offensive players. Green, who could be RoY if Dalton can get him the ball, Simpson, Gresham, Shipley, Caldwell... That is some very solid core players right there. If Dalton can even be average, this team can win 8-10 games. Benson running hard behind two TE sets, and Pressley blowing up backers, we could see Benson running through safeties again and again. I'd like that.

So, what does it come down to? Chemistry between Dalton and Cook. RT must play better, be it Skin Zepplin, Collins or Roland. RG must solidfy, as for how big Livings is he is an even bigger disappointment. Max Jean-Gilles and his trimmed down body should be some decent depth, so with Roland, Collins, Jean-Gilles, at least we have something as depth. Fat Andre HAS to show us something. I have the term "bust" loaded in my vocabulary and its use is contingent on him exceeding the play of Collins or Roland, not such a high bar, IMHO.

So, if just a few items can happen, this O, minus Brat and his offense by numbers garbage play-calling, could be quite a nice surprise. Would really enjoy seeing it.

I didn't see the quote as making excuses. He was probably asked if Carson leaving the team hurt the leadership. What you got was his opinion about who the leaders are on this team, not an excuse for 2010. To me it sounds as if he's seeing the differences in Dalton and Palmer and maybe it's clear to the team that Dalton is making it known that he is a leader.

And that...is a good thing.

Fat Andre HAS to show us something.

He already has. Remember last year, when he showed up to camp doing a bang-up imitation of a 400-lb. turd? I don't think we can lay that on Carson's lack of leadership, Chad being a distraction or TO being TO.

This year, coming off injury again and having no team supervision because of the lockout, what to our wondering eyes do we see but a (relatively speaking) svelte 323-pounder who has slid right into the starting RT spot and won nothing but praise from his coaches.

Now, we'll see how he does and if that foot holds up, but that's what I'm talking about. For whatever reason, Smith apparently figured out this offseason that he was part of the problem and decided to do something about it. That's what I want to see more of out of this group.

In a season I expect to end with the team watching the playoffs, there are certainly things to look forward to.

I can't wait to see how the offense looks with Gruden leading and Brat gone.

I look forward to see how Dalton operates within that system.

I am absolutely thrilled with being able to watch AJ Green each week.

I love the WR corps coupled with our TE's.

On the defensive side of the ball ??

I think Rey is going to have the type of season that will drop jaws now that he has moved to the middle.

I hope Dunlap, Atkins, and MJ have good seasons.

I'm not sure I can say I'm thrilled by much of what I see on the defensive side of the ball.

There are parts that could work and hope Zimmer gets them motivated.

Fat Andre HAS to show us something.

He already has. Remember last year, when he showed up to camp doing a bang-up imitation of a 400-lb. turd? I don't think we can lay that on Carson's lack of leadership, Chad being a distraction or TO being TO.

This year, coming off injury again and having no team supervision because of the lockout, what to our wondering eyes do we see but a (relatively speaking) svelte 323-pounder who has slid right into the starting RT spot and won nothing but praise from his coaches.

Now, we'll see how he does and if that foot holds up, but that's what I'm talking about. For whatever reason, Smith apparently figured out this offseason that he was part of the problem and decided to do something about it. That's what I want to see more of out of this group.

Meh, my ass. In 2010 you got the team you deserved.

I'm not really interested in hearing any more excuses about Carson and Chad.

Seems to me you've written as many excuses for those players as anyone here.

Put me in the camp that thinks Whitworth's comments, now and earlier, continue to speak volumes about the prolonged lack of leadership being demonstrated by this teams highest paid and most heavily promoted star players. And if Green and Dalton aren't instantly as good as or better than the players they replaced then I'll attempt to comfort myself by reminding myself that AJ Green is a straight up football player, not someone more interested in developing a brand name.

As for Dalton, I'm not as familiar with him so it's difficult for me to know exactly what the Bengals have done at that critical position. But by the same token it's becoming increasingly clear that in regards to team leadership the qualities Palmer lacked were a much bigger concern amongst his fellow players than any of us had guessed.