Bengals Sign Nate Clements

HoosierCat

I just added this in the free agent thread, but i love this pick up and feel he will work out great next to Hall. Great signing i do like this.

We just stole him right out from the 49ers they were hoping to resign him soon. He was let go because of cap reasons, so i have to wonder what the bengals gave him. Feels pretty good though to actully beat another team to get a player LOL LOL.

I wanted Clements...five years ago when he left Buffalo. Now? Depends on how much he's got left in the tank.

Well the 49ers think he has alot left in the tank, they were trying to get him back bad. The only reason he was let go was because he had a 15.7 million dollor hit on the cap. Thats why i wonder how much the bengals paid to get him. I think its a great signing sure its not Jjoe, but hey if Clemants wants to play here then i welcome that :sure: I think hes still got something left, and he is a big hitter which Zimmer should like.

I wanted Clements...five years ago when he left Buffalo. Now? Depends on how much he's got left in the tank.

Yep. He's 31... so he's not done, but he's definitely nearing the end.

I like the signing... but think it'll remind us all of Tory James. A really good season or two, one very average season, an one terrible season. CBs seem to lose it all at once.

A Bay-are Bengals fan had a couple of interesting comments on James Walker's post about the signing:

Don't get your hopes up on Nate Clements, Bengal fans. Sure, his stats look great. But trust me, as someone who lives and goes to school in the Bay Area, I was stuck with a lot of 49er games.

He can't cover anymore. He's really just as good (bad) as William Gay is. He has absolutely no speed/agility to keep up with receivers and the WRs have a relatively easy time getting inside of him to get open. Big name. But he's really a nickel corner at this point in his career.

If he was signed as a safety, I applaud that move. I will wait to see the contract figures before I say whether I like the move or not, but he's really not that good of a corner anymore, folks.

1. I know Bengal fans are probably going to like that move because quite frankly, any big name has been coming to Cincy is a surprise (because none usually come).

2. If you want to be disappointed during the season, then go ahead and think highly of Nate. I guarantee you that you have not watched him play as much as I did the past couple of years.

3. The 49ers have a solid pass rush. They play the 3-4 and though you don't have individual superstar pass rushers, as a team, they create pressure.

4. The Bengals pass rush is absolutely awful. So if you want to use the pass rush as an argument, then I'll just toss it right back. We've got one guy in Dunlap. There are other emerging guys, but they haven't proven anything yet. Pass rush is one of the worst in the NFL. It may get better, but right now, I wouldn't assume we're going to dominate.

5. 49ers do have ehhhh safeties. But we've got even worse safeties. That led to a lot of Nate Clements getting burned. It'll be the same over here.

6. Again, he can't cover a quick slant OR the little in and outs. His lack of flexibility in the hips really make him an easy target on the quick routes. He's overly aggressive at times, which teams know, and he'll bite on occasion.

Later, he added:

I mentioned his deficiencies, but again, as a free safety, I think he'd be terrific. Carlos Rogers would start over Clements. Rogers would be a better guy to put as the #2 corner. Move Clements to free safety, and all the sudden, the secondary looks pretty good.

Clements is great in run support. His numbers and size may indicate he's a good press coverage guy, but he's not. And at this point, he's pretty susceptible to quick ins/outs, hooks, and slants. Again, he no longer has the ability to take away the inside route of the receivers. Those post patterns: advantage WR almost every time with Nate Clements.

FWIW

Yeah, good times. As I recall five years ago Clements cost so much coin Mikey went into FA shock and promptly drafted 1st round CB's in back to back years.

Get Dashon Goldson to go with him and the Bengals would be on to something.

Compared to what I thought they'd end up with, this will help, sounds like a move to appease Zimmer and they probably gave him JJ's $. (I have no idea just an assumption)

Here JJoe is ranked as the 12 best CB (Hall is 19th) and Clements doesn't make the list, but I've always liked him and he has experience. If they get two good years out of him, great.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23050/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-cornerbacks

Of course, the Bengals' defense is a mish-mash and still lacks a leader/pro bowl type, especially at LB where they lack a stand out talent, so they won't be that good, and neither will the offense, but Clements helps keep them in mediocre territory as a team.

Classic Mike Brown move. Right guy, wrong year. Fortunately, he should be used to losing considering his last couple of stops, so there's that.

Zimmer wanted this guy, so Mike got him for him. At least he wants to come here and play unlike Jjoe who wanted to leave. Sure hes no Jjoe, but hes better then what they have, and hes vet who can still play.

Classic Mike Brown move. Right guy, wrong year. Fortunately, he should be used to losing considering his last couple of stops, so there's that.

Zimmer wanted this guy, so Mike got him for him. At least he wants to come here and play unlike Jjoe who wanted to leave. Sure hes no Jjoe, but hes better then what they have, and hes vet who can still play.

Like Palmer, Dillon, Spikes, Pickens, Goff, Shade, Boomer, and how many others, I don't blame JJoe for wanting to get out.

I give them credit for signing what I assume was the best CB available right now though, hope he can stay healthy.

I watched him quite a bit, being here in the west. He still has the goods.

To the person baggin on him, most of his exposure was due to poor safety play. SF plays a tampa 2, so the safety is critical to supporting the CB. I think his smarts are critical to a defense that has no real leader, as the slow Dhani is gone.

Clements being a buckeye, SoP snatched him up. Would have preferred JJoe but what can ya do.

Clements will be Jeff Burris v2. Maybe a little better than that.

I watched him quite a bit, being here in the west. He still has the goods.

To the person baggin on him, most of his exposure was due to poor safety play. SF plays a tampa 2, so the safety is critical to supporting the CB. I think his smarts are critical to a defense that has no real leader, as the slow Dhani is gone.

Clements being a buckeye, SoP snatched him up. Would have preferred JJoe but what can ya do.

Clements will be Jeff Burris v2. Maybe a little better than that.

I was reading somewhere where they said he was the 2nd best corner in the nfc west. He was first against the run, which means he is not afraid to tackle, and 2nd against the pass. So im happy with this signing, better then getting some no name, at least Clements has the skills to play.