Great signs in this draft

walzav29

To me the BIGGEST thing that happend in this draft was that Mike wanted Mallet, but Marvin and Gruden went with Dalton. That tells me that Marv does have a little more say. The personality of this team will change for the better with the departure of Chad, T.O., and sadly Palmer. Who I think just got fed up. None the less. He quit on the team. Palmer sat on the bench for an entire year though as a rookie, so I have a hard time seeing them throw Dalton in there. AJ Green saying he doesn't have a reality show, sounds like a breath of fresh air. I've had enough of the gimmicks, and drama.

All I can say is, temper your expectations.

Remember 2003? Mikey was stepping back then, too. Marvin was in charge, granted more power and control than any head coach since PB. We've seen this movie before. Will it end differently this time? I don't know but if it does it will be a first.

I think you're right that the personality of this team will change for the better. But as far as the 2011 season is concerned, I don't think their record is going to change very much. And I'm already dreading the "DALTON SUCKS!!!!" "JAY GRUDEN SUCKS!!!" and, of course, "MIKE BROWN STILL SUCKS!!!" threads that are going to multiply like dandelions in the spring once the season starts and the offense struggles to figure out which end is up for most of the year.

I'm happy with how things appear to have gone in the draft, but if there's someone you "WANT" to be happy with, it's Zimmer in my opinion.

I'd like to be happy with him after he redirects his defense and gets them playing like it was 2009 again.

If he can do that, Dalton, Green, Gruden, and the rest of the offense will do better.

Dalton has always had a defense at TCU.

I'm happy with the draft, the last few drafts as a matter of fact...but I heard on ESPN last night that we are the only team who has not sent any of their draft picks from the last 8 drafts to a PB, I like the picks but I don't think they are getting the best teaching...

And I'm already dreading the "DALTON SUCKS!!!!" "JAY GRUDEN SUCKS!!!" and, of course, "MIKE BROWN STILL SUCKS!!!" threads that are going to multiply like dandelions in the spring once the season starts and the offense struggles to figure out which end is up for most of the year.

It's the looming threat of a "Dueling Dalton" headline from Hobson that I dread the most. Well, that and the "Drooling Dalton" messageboard spin-offs that are sure to result.

BTW, here at HairOnFireWorks my team of joke writers have already come up with a dozens of fake headlines we'll be promoting soon, including the hilarious free samples provided below. Enjoy.

Moving On, Gingerly?

The Red/Green Show

Red Faced: How The Bengals Replaced A Golden Boy With a Red-Headed Stepchild and Ruled The World

And I'm already dreading the "DALTON SUCKS!!!!" "JAY GRUDEN SUCKS!!!" and, of course, "MIKE BROWN STILL SUCKS!!!" threads that are going to multiply like dandelions in the spring once the season starts and the offense struggles to figure out which end is up for most of the year.

It's the looming threat of a "Dueling Dalton" headline from Hobson that I dread the most. Well, that and the "Drooling Dalton" messageboard spin-offs that are sure to result.

BTW, here at HairOnFireWorks my team of joke writers have already come up with a dozens of fake headlines we'll be promoting soon, including the hilarious free samples provided below. Enjoy.

Moving On, Gingerly?

The Red/Green Show

Red Faced: How The Bengals Replaced A Golden Boy With a Red-Headed Stepchild and Ruled The World

Very colorful!

All I can say is, temper your expectations.

Remember 2003? Mikey was stepping back then, too. Marvin was in charge, granted more power and control than any head coach since PB. We've seen this movie before. Will it end differently this time? I don't know but if it does it will be a first.

I think you're right that the personality of this team will change for the better. But as far as the 2011 season is concerned, I don't think their record is going to change very much. And I'm already dreading the "DALTON SUCKS!!!!" "JAY GRUDEN SUCKS!!!" and, of course, "MIKE BROWN STILL SUCKS!!!" threads that are going to multiply like dandelions in the spring once the season starts and the offense struggles to figure out which end is up for most of the year.

I for one am giving both Gruden and Dalton a pass for the whole year. Dalton because he's a rook, and Gruden because he's...well, because he's not Bratkowski.

The "Mike Brown Sucks" thread will be sprouting early and hardy, owing to the fact that it's a perennial, to stay with your botanical theme.

I'm already dreading the "DALTON SUCKS!!!!" "JAY GRUDEN SUCKS!!!" and, of course, "MIKE BROWN STILL SUCKS!!!" threads that are going to multiply like dandelions in the spring once the season starts and the offense struggles to figure out which end is up for most of the year.

Yep. You can just about count on it.

I've seen a lot of people comparing Dalton to Drew Brees. In my opinion, that's a best case scenario... but even Brees took several years to figure out the league.

'01 - Rookie season. He sat on the bench.

'02 - 76.9 passer rating. 17 TDs, 16 INTs

'03 - 67.5 passer rating. 11 TDs, 15 INTs (Chargers had the #1 overall pick, drafted Eli Manning and traded him to the Giants for Phillip Rivers).

'04 - 104.8 passer rating. 27 TDs, 7 INTs.

In other words... it's going to take Dalton some time to develop. Patience will be mandatory. He's a rookie, has a first year OC, and a roster full of veterans who don't know the playbook because of a lockout.

So brace yourself... There will be no shortage of "Time to end the Andy Dalton Experiment" threads.

I'm in full "wait and see" mode with the 2011 team.

This is made easier thinking both Carson and Chad will be gone and the organization acknowledging it's time to move on.

That being said, if the defense plays closer to 2009 as opposed to 2010 and the offense gels sooner than expected, when looking at the schedule, we might be in for a surprise. I'm just not holding my breath. What's that old saying ?? Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

That's where I am, but will admit to looking forward to this coming season a lot more than I was prior to the draft.

I'm happy with the draft, the last few drafts as a matter of fact...but I heard on ESPN last night that we are the only team who has not sent any of their draft picks from the last 8 drafts to a PB, I like the picks but I don't think they are getting the best teaching...

That's partly because Leon Hall got shafted in 2009. Soon enough Gresham and Dunlap will be there.

I am patient like Job at this point. Since they have moved on, I am content. I can handle lots of losses for 2011 as long as it is with Dalton learning and Green playing. What I don't want to see is lots of losses with a retread at qb while Dalton sits. That would probably piss me off. This team isn't playoff bound this year at this point, so go ahead and develop Dalton and give me a reason to watch on Sundays. Alex Smith or Matt Hasselback is NOT a reason to watch on Sundays.

That's partly because Leon Hall got shafted in 2009. Soon enough Gresham and Dunlap will be there.

The Pro Bowl selections mean nothing. It doesn't mean we aren't developing players. Just means it's a popularity contest.

Justin Smith never made the Pro Bowl as a Bengal. First year after he leaves, he gets selected. Takeo Spikes never made the Pro Bowl here. First year after he leaves, he gets selected. Eric Steinbach never made the Pro Bowl here. First year after he leaves, he gets selected. Willie Anderson was the best RT in the game for years, and he was never selected until near the end of his career. We had the #4 defense in the entire NFL two years ago, won the AFC North Championship, swept the division, and we had ZERO players selected for the Pro Bowl. Hall and Joseph tied for second in the NFL in interception, didn't get picked for the Pro Bowl. Cedric Benson led the NFL in rushing yards per game in 2009, didn't get selected.

See a trend? So all these commentators who criticize the bengals drafting because they haven't drafted anyone who has made the Pro Bowl... it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean they haven't drafted Pro Bowl players. It just means our Pro Bowl caliber players are shafted in a stupid popularity contest.

The Pro Bowl selections mean nothing. It doesn't mean we aren't developing players. Just means it's a popularity contest.

Oh my god -- I sorta kinda partially agree with Mobster

I think some of Hair's ever-present smoke cloud must have drifted westward over the Rockies and settled on my side of Cincinnati

Justin Smith never made the Pro Bowl as a Bengal. First year after he leaves, he gets selected. Takeo Spikes never made the Pro Bowl here. First year after he leaves, he gets selected. Eric Steinbach never made the Pro Bowl here. First year after he leaves, he gets selected. Willie Anderson was the best RT in the game for years, and he was never selected until near the end of his career. We had the #4 defense in the entire NFL two years ago, won the AFC North Championship, swept the division, and we had ZERO players selected for the Pro Bowl. Hall and Joseph tied for second in the NFL in interception, didn't get picked for the Pro Bowl. Cedric Benson led the NFL in rushing yards per game in 2009, didn't get selected.

See a trend? So all these commentators who criticize the bengals drafting because they haven't drafted anyone who has made the Pro Bowl... it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean they haven't drafted Pro Bowl players. It just means our Pro Bowl caliber players are shafted in a stupid popularity contest.

Amen, you are 100% correct. for years bengal players have not only be shafted from the probowl, the HOF too.

Oh my god -- I sorta kinda partially agree with Mobster

I think some of Hair's ever-present smoke cloud must have drifted westward over the Rockies and settled on my side of Cincinnati

For those who are interested in the details, what you are currently smelling is the Purple Urkle.

Myself, I can't smell the Urkle at all, the scent of purple is far too overwhelming, but I've been assured this strain is absolutely stuffed with Urkle.

So there's that.