So if Ced Benson Leaves...

HoosierCat

...who's up for Herschel Walker?

Herschel Walker has already had many diverse chapters in a fascinating sports life. He was one of the greatest college football players of all time while at the University of Georgia, an NFL star, an Olympic bobsledder, and most recently, he's dabbled as a mixed martial artist.

But at 48 years old, Walker is still looking to athletically challenge himself, and his latest thought is a doozy: he's considering an NFL comeback.

"I know I can play," Walker said on a Monday conference call that was intended to promote his Jan. 29 Strikeforce MMA match. "If I continue to stay in the shape I'm in now, I know I can play when I'm 50. Right now, if you asked if I can play today, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind I can play football today, that I can help out a team today.

"I 100 percent guarantee you I can help a football team out," Walker continued.

Walker, who is 1-0 in mixed martial arts and will face Scott Carson in San Jose, Calif., said his MMA training has him in better shape than when he was in his 20s, when he was wowing crowds in the USFL and later, the NFL.

He said that as recently February 2010, he ran a 40-yard dash in 4.38 or 4.39.

"I haven't been doing my track work, but I think if I get back into my track work and the way I run, I can still run pretty well," he said.

Yeah, LMFAO because he was so good when he was young? LMFAO. True he was good in college, but he was always overhyped in the NFL and basically did squat. Yes, he's always kept himself in great shape, but that doesn't always translate to NFL success. I mean, the guy played 13 NFL seasons and rushed for over 1,000 yards ONLY TWICE !

His claim to fame in the NFL was him building the Cowboys into Super Bowl winners....Not by his play....But by Minnesota trading Dallas all those draft picks in order to get him.

Topic: So if Ced Benson leaves...

My Reply?

If Ced Benson Leaves, WE WON'T BE DEAD F*CKING LAST IN THE NFL IN YARDS PER CARRY AT 3.6, AND 27TH IN RUSHING YARDS, AND 29TH IN RUSHING TD'S

GOOD F*CKIN' RIDDENS

Seriously guys, The Bengals were Dead F*cking Last in yards per carry because of that piece of crap.

He seemed slow hitting the hole this year. Unfortunately I think too many guys thought they had arrived after the 2009 season and I think Ced might have been one of them. He played hard in 2008 and had a good year in 2009 when he was out to prove himself to the world. But he seemed slow and tentative and danced in the hole a lot more than last year. For a minute I thought we had replaced him with the 2007 version of Rudi Johnson. And the fumble thing is still a mystery to me after not really having an issue with it last year.

I wouldn't mind having him back but there's a lot of mileage on those legs. He needs to drop a few pounds and play hungry again if he comes back.

As for Hershel Walker, I wish him luck. I am the same age as he is and have my share of aches, etc. I can't imagine why he would want to put himself through that at this point. As fast and strong as he was twenty five years ago, I think he is underestimating the speed and strength of today's players.

Hey Pimp, I haven't really had much time to look at Bengals related stuff as of late and really wasn't aware of the stats you ave thrown up recently about Benson. I know they are only stats, but for someone complaining about not getting carries, it sure seems odd.

Anyway, without Benson the Bengals will have to go looking for his replacement, because Bernard Scott is not it. I like Scott in the change of pace role, but don't think he is capable of filling the "Bell Cow" role we have always seemed to have.

I've seen mocks linking the kid out of Illinois (Leshore) I think, to the Bengals in the 2nd round.

I can't say as i've looked into it that much.

Hey Pimp, I haven't really had much time to look at Bengals related stuff as of late and really wasn't aware of the stats you ave thrown up recently about Benson. I know they are only stats, but for someone complaining about not getting carries, it sure seems odd.

Anyway, without Benson the Bengals will have to go looking for his replacement, because Bernard Scott is not it. I like Scott in the change of pace role, but don't think he is capable of filling the "Bell Cow" role we have always seemed to have.

I've seen mocks linking the kid out of Illinois (Leshore) I think, to the Bengals in the 2nd round.

I can't say as i've looked into it that much.

Thing is, I don't know that they need a "Bell Cow". In today's NFL its not a necessity. Kansas City had the NFL's #1 running game and their "Biggest Back" was Thomas Jones at 5'10 210lbs. Benson is done, he showed that this season with terrible numbers. If the Bengals can pick up a RB that can get 10 carries a game, Bernard Scott would be perfect with about 15 carries, kind of like what the Cheifs do with Jones, and Charles.

Also, I don't know why everybody is sure Bernard Scott cannot carry a bigger load? In '09 in those 2 games Benson was out Scott carried 21 times for 119yds and 18 for 87yds. Maybe they're not sure, but i wouldn't say he can't, since there are quite a few other guys his size who do, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, and Ahmad Bradshaw are a few. All of those guys go around 5'10"-ish and just under 200lbs.

I personally don't want a "Bell Cow" if it means its some slow piece of garbage. Give me someone who can make plays and get OVER 4.0 yards a carry and I'm good. Obviously a big guy could help on 3rd and 1 or at the goal line, but Benson sucked on short yardage this year, AND HAS NEVER BEEN a good goal line back.

Man, would I really like to see them sign a guy like DeAngelo Williams (regardless of injuries)

Ced hardly had any holes to run through. On a lot of his runs he got first contact behind the line of scrimmage, then was able with a combination of power and elusiveness to gain positive yards.

I couldn't disagree more on Ced. He is not done, in my opinion he's one of the best running backs in the league.

I couldn't disagree more on Ced. He is not done, in my opinion he's one of the best running backs in the league.

If that's your opinion, you're certainly entitled to it. I mean, I could throw out all kinds of stats that prove otherwise. Aside from the obvious 3.5 yards per carry, and his penchant for fumbles, I'd like a guy who rushes 321 times to score more than 7 TD's. Also, Ced has virtually ZERO big play ability, as his "long" rush of the season was 26 yards (the worst among the NFL's Top 32 rushers) and only had 2 runs of over 20 yards (worst among the Top 24 and tied for 2nd worse among the Top 41.....thats right 41 RB's). Keep in mind those other RB's don't all have good Offensive Lines, but apparently they still have the ability to make big plays. When a RB can't give you good consistent yardage, and sometimes break a long one, that puts your offense, and your QB at a huge disadvantage.

The Bengals need to improve their RB position, it's just that simple. Ced has already put it out there that he doesn't like to share carries, and you just CANNOT have a guy taking almost all the carries put up the kind of numbers he did this year. Unacceptable.

Ced hardly had any holes to run through.

Neither did any other Bengals RB's. Running lanes were virtually non existent.

But yet Bernard Scott averaged 4.9 yards per carry (as opposed to Benson's 3.5) behind that same O-Line? That just shows Scott has the ability to make something happen, and speed (which Benson doesn't have) is the best cure for a mediocre O-Line.