Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

My knee jerk blackberry reaction to reaching for a qb early after luck is gone is very negative. I think carson can be "saved"...but if a future replacement is sought, top of round 2 to grab a qb who slid from round one should suffice.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My knee jerk blackberry reaction to reaching for a qb early after luck is gone is very negative. I think carson can be "saved"...but if a future replacement is sought, top of round 2 to grab a qb who slid from round one should suffice.

With Lewis coming back on a 2-year deal and talking how the performance of Simpson and Caldwell in the last three games gave both he and Carson some fresh zing, I think you can now reduce the chance of the Bengals drafting a QB at No. 4 to zero. AJ Green? If they really are high on the trio of Simpson-Caldwell-Shipley, that opens the door to a defensive pick like Bowers, Fairly or Peterson. It will be interesting to see how hard they go after J-Joe now...

. It will be interesting to see how hard they go after J-Joe now...

I think that's why they have to seriously consider Patrick Peterson. He's a Stud, and if JJoe leaves or is injured again you're covered, also with so many analysts predicting a possible move to Safety because of his size, speed, willingness to hit, if he can in fact make that transition, he could be a ball-hawking Ed Reed type safety(although at 6'1" 225 he's about 2 inches taller and 25lbs heavier than Reed)....that's a win-win situation for the Bengals.

With Lewis coming back on a 2-year deal and talking how the performance of Simpson and Caldwell in the last three games gave both he and Carson some fresh zing, I think you can now reduce the chance of the Bengals drafting a QB at No. 4 to zero.

Actually, I had it pegged at zero the moment the Bengals lost out on the 1st overall slot. Of curse I wouldn't mind it a bit if Gabbert suddenly made trading into the #4 spot more attractive for OTHER teams, but it's way too early to speculate about that at length.

AJ Green? If they really are high on the trio of Simpson-Caldwell-Shipley, that opens the door to a defensive pick like Bowers, Fairly or Peterson.

I still say Green represents a remarkable match of talent, individual ranking, and draft position. In fact, he's probably a btter match at #4 than at #2. But I'm not married to the pick and Simpson's big play making ability was even more impressive than I would have hoped for. Ball security aside, the kid made big plays look routine. As for Caldwell, the lack of quickness he showed as a slot receiver is no longer a concern on the outside, and he's always had speed to burn. Just a little too slow and methodical getting in and out of breaks.

It will be interesting to see how hard they go after J-Joe now...

Of the players most often mentioned as potential top 5 picks Peterson is probably the least likely to be available at #4. Green could drop because WR's almost always do, and Bowers and Fairley may not fit Denvers scheme. But Denver and Detroit both need CB's and the Lions look like a team that might take a big step forward if they get one.

DaQuan Bowers - Carlos is great, but if their not sold on MJ they could take a run at Bowers, who's the draft's premier pass rusher.

Whos not sold on MJ,Mike Brown complemented both him and Dunlap today...With Marvin Returning I doubt we go DE in round one Because he likes his Elephants so that means Geathers and then Odom or Rucker will be back...Fanene is a FA isn't he? I'm sure they'll want him back too...With Marvin Returning no way we take a QB and Ditch Carson so I'm looking at AJ Green or the B.O.P (Non QB pick)

I still say Green represents a remarkable match of talent, individual ranking, and draft position. In fact, he's probably a btter match at #4 than at #2. But I'm not married to the pick and Simpson's big play making ability was even more impressive than I would have hoped for. Ball security aside, the kid made big plays look routine. As for Caldwell, the lack of quickness he showed as a slot receiver is no longer a concern on the outside, and he's always had speed to burn. Just a little too slow and methodical getting in and out of breaks.

He has to be the guy if available unless they trade down I just worry the Bills or Broncos snag him : / because no one else really excites me at 4# since were not gonna go Luck/QB ><

Of the players most often mentioned as potential top 5 picks Peterson is probably the least likely to be available at #4. Green could drop because WR's almost always do, and Bowers and Fairley may not fit Denvers scheme. But Denver and Detroit both need CB's and the Lions look like a team that might take a big step forward if they get one.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Peterson get past Denver with Bailey's time up, but stranger things have happened. I agree Green is more likely than not going to be there, but I also think he's a legit possibility for Carolina if Luck stays in school.

With Lewis coming back on a 2-year deal and talking how the performance of Simpson and Caldwell in the last three games gave both he and Carson some fresh zing, I think you can now reduce the chance of the Bengals drafting a QB at No. 4 to zero. AJ Green? If they really are high on the trio of Simpson-Caldwell-Shipley, that opens the door to a defensive pick like Bowers, Fairly or Peterson. It will be interesting to see how hard they go after J-Joe now...

They might put the franchise tag on JJoe, and he said he would sign it in a heartbeat!!! So i say if you cant get a deal done with him tag him, even if you are going to pick Peterson, that way Peterson can learn behind some good corners. Plus that would be crazy to have Hall,Joe,Peterson,Adam Jones maybe, Trent thats a nice backfield. Still need saftey help though, so i wonder where they will look for that!

Lots of good picks, i still would like to see a trade happen though, so they can pick up more draft picks, theres alot they could use this year

I doubt Luck will be waiting to be drafted at #4.

Of course he won't. That's the point. He's gone at #1, either to Carolina or whoever trades up to that spot. Some analysts calling him the best prospect at that position since Elway. The point is, once Luck is gone, if it's me, they do NOT reach for a qb at #4 overall, but, if they really want to start grooming a replacement for Carson, look to the top of the 2nd round for one of the guys who slid out of the first round.

They might put the franchise tag on JJoe, and he said he would sign it in a heartbeat!!! So i say if you cant get a deal done with him tag him, even if you are going to pick Peterson, that way Peterson can learn behind some good corners. Plus that would be crazy to have Hall,Joe,Peterson,Adam Jones maybe, Trent thats a nice backfield. Still need saftey help though, so i wonder where they will look for that!

Lots of good picks, i still would like to see a trade happen though, so they can pick up more draft picks, theres alot they could use this year

That would be a crazy backfield. But would they use another 1st round pick on a DB? However, with the two safeties at Pittsburgh and Baltimore would this be a "me too" pick for the Bengals? I think this year's 1st pick is an important one for the Bengals much like the Carson pick was in 2003. They gotta get it right. So if Peterson is of that magnitude then it might be worth the pick. If not I still think an O-line upgrade is in order.

Of course he won't. That's the point. He's gone at #1, either to Carolina or whoever trades up to that spot. Some analysts calling him the best prospect at that position since Elway. The point is, once Luck is gone, if it's me, they do NOT reach for a qb at #4 overall, but, if they really want to start grooming a replacement for Carson, look to the top of the 2nd round for one of the guys who slid out of the first round.

QB is a non factor with Marvin returning unless brown is gonna give Marvin extra time because of having a young QB

That would be a crazy backfield. But would they use another 1st round pick on a DB? However, with the two safeties at Pittsburgh and Baltimore would this be a "me too" pick for the Bengals? I think this year's 1st pick is an important one for the Bengals much like the Carson pick was in 2003. They gotta get it right. So if Peterson is of that magnitude then it might be worth the pick. If not I still think an O-line upgrade is in order.

Could Peterson made a good Safety though? because truthfully I wouldn't want to see CB even if Jjoe walks we have alot of talent there already 5 deep(4 without jjoe)

Pacman played great,Trent has played good in his first 2 years and Ghee has all the attributes just needs experience...I'd prefer we keep jjoe but I just feel like we are taking a step backwords letting him walk and then drafting a CB in the 1st.

Kazkal, read my whole post. Marvin being back for two years or 20 doesn't impact any decision they might or might not make on wanting to start grooming a Carson replacement. But if they decide they want to groom one, they can pluck someone at the top of round 2. Doesn't mean he starts next year. Far from it.

I am not on the replace-Carson-at-all costs bandwagon that some are. Just noting what their options are likely to be for drafting a qb. Even if they wanted to, there will likely not be another one with a top 5 grade, or, if there is, it will be a shaky grade. And I sure as shooting dont' want them reaching for someone with a shaky top 5 grade.

They can go defense in first rd, even trade back and still get a great defense player because they pick so early in the 2nd round there is going to be a good WR there if they want to take one there.

They need to address the o-line, so thats why i want them to trade back and get as many picks as they can, i dont know what FA will bring but there are some holes to fill.

QB is a non factor with Marvin returning unless brown is gonna give Marvin extra time because of having a young QB

Could Peterson made a good Safety though? because truthfully I wouldn't want to see CB even if Jjoe walks we have alot of talent there already 5 deep(4 without jjoe)

Pacman played great,Trent has played good in his first 2 years and Ghee has all the attributes just needs experience...I'd prefer we keep jjoe but I just feel like we are taking a step backwords letting him walk and then drafting a CB in the 1st.

Problem with Pacman is he is always getting hurt! Almost every game he had to leave because he was hurt. Hope the offseason helps this guy, or who knows maybe Marvin wont even want him back!

Kazkal, read my whole post. Marvin being back for two years or 20 doesn't impact any decision they might or might not make on wanting to start grooming a Carson replacement. But if they decide they want to groom one, they can pluck someone at the top of round 2. Doesn't mean he starts next year. Far from it.

I am not on the replace-Carson-at-all costs bandwagon that some are. Just noting what their options are likely to be for drafting a qb. Even if they wanted to, there will likely not be another one with a top 5 grade, or, if there is, it will be a shaky grade. And I sure as shooting dont' want them reaching for someone with a shaky top 5 grade.

Well I just meant don't see QB in 1st...Totally be up for 2nd rnd + one to groom :o

In my personal opinion if available the only acceptable pick this high is Patrick Peterson... Marvin always preached select the best player available and not to draft by need...thats went out the window kind of but I think Ol Peterson outside of Luck who will be #1 is the best player in this draft. Would they draft him and move him to Safety doubtful...where would he line up I dont know but I do believe this dude is a talent that shouldnt be passed on. Of course Im with everyone else on the trade down in the teens and acquire more picks

For some reason, I'm not nearly as interested in the the 1st round pick as I am in the 2nd round pick. The #4 overall pick has plenty of options available that I would be plenty happy with.

The 2nd round pick... well, I've been saying that Kyle Cook needs to be shut down since the '09 season. It's time to draft a true Center. Stefen Wisniewski (I also wouldn't mind Mike Pouncey - just to fan the flames of the Steelers/Bengals rivalry)

I've never felt Mike Pouncey was nearly as good as his brother, but I admit his play in the bowl game was impressive. I may need to reconsider. That said, it would sort of suck being the team that selected the "other" guy.

Also, I've been pretty critical of Kyle Cook in the past and see no reason to change, but if forced to choose I'm more interested in upgrading the OLG spot. Who they might select is a question for another day, after tackles who might be moved inside is considered, but the Moffet(sp?) kid really stood out the other day. Remarkable pulling ability for a player with a bigger sloppy looking body. Gave me flashbacks of the days when a Bengal core running play attacked the RG/RT gap behind a pulling guard. Haven't seen it much since Whit was kicked outside. I miss it, badly.

Edit: I checked. The kid who jumped out was John Moffitt of Wisconsin. Not one of the higher rated OG's it would seem, probably because he's a fatty, and currently projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder. Frankly, that's exactly where I'd expect the Bengals to start looking for interior Oline help.

Anyone care to guess at us getting comp picks ??

I can't think of anything big there, but could be wrong.

There are a few picks at #4 that would be good by me, so I don't think I will be stressing it to much.

I do enjoy the conversation about it though !!!

No Comp picks we loss no one last offseason + signed players.... with all the FA's we have this year we may get some in 2012.

For some reason, I'm not nearly as interested in the the 1st round pick as I am in the 2nd round pick. The #4 overall pick has plenty of options available that I would be plenty happy with.

The 2nd round pick... well, I've been saying that Kyle Cook needs to be shut down since the '09 season. It's time to draft a true Center. Stefen Wisniewski (I also wouldn't mind Mike Pouncey - just to fan the flames of the Steelers/Bengals rivalry)

I agree its time for a center, and Pouncey would be a great pick there if he makes it out of the first rd.

I wonder how Kyle Cook would be at guard, i still think they need a guard also, Livings is horrible