Marvin Lewis' last season?

Spor_tees

If the Bengals won in the fashion the Patriots did today, I sincerely doubt ML would have said the same things. Bull.

Bull on you. That's exactly what Marvin would've done; it's exactly what Marvin always does.

Everyone has an opinion, and you cant fault him for being mad. Marvin did a horrible job of getting these guys ready to play. He had along time to get these guys ready, and they came out and laid an egg. He is right the last 3-4 games his team has not been ready to play. Marvin has always been an 8-8 coach, unless its an easy schedule then they sneek in a couple more wins! Marvin has no idea how to make in game changes, or halftime changes. His clock managment his horrible. Is Marvin the right man for the job, that i dont know, but he better get his head out of his a** and prepare his guys to win the next game.

Game one.

Are their issues ?? Sure.

Game one.

It's ok for everyone to take a breath now.

Maybe a minor understatement.

Some may sight the game last year that they lost their first game. Well, this was not that. The Bengals played the role of the baby harp seal today.

If this was an emergency room visit, this was a gushing head wound due to blunt force trauma on an unsuspecting victim.

Can this team respond, is the question that must be asked.

Acknowledging issues without thinking it's the end of the season or something of that sort is the point. Last year we lost the opener on a fluke play, lost to the freakin' Raiders, and made a whole slew of mistakes besides that. They lost players, loved ones, and had to overcome adversity and still managed to sweep the division with what many thought would be EASILY a 3rd place squad.

Can this team respond ?? I simply say we give it the chance before everyone implodes and starts making all kinds of claims due to being pissed off about today's game. If they don't respond and in turn keep losing, then sure, the bashing would surely be warranted. It's not like we lost to the Rams or something...

I'm simply not sold there is another coach out there better than him that is WILLING to come to the Bengals and work for Mike Brown.

This is exactly what comes to my mind every time the thought comes in my mind that it might be time to get rid of Marvin. OK, we get rid of Marvin, who are we going to get? Absolutely, we might hit the jackpot and get an overlooked assistant that brings us a Superbowl. But, more likely than not we would get a Jim Zorn or a Mike Tice, someone who is desperate for a job and would be out in another 2-3 years.

If we want a Chan Gailey as a coach, then get rid of Marvin. But right now, I agree with ArmyBengal. Marvin may not be Bill Belichick, but with Mike Brown, it's a better bet of keeping Marvin while we have him.

You think Mike Zimmer would want that job? Think again.

I think Mike Zimmer likes his job as D-coordinator. I also think that someday he would like to be a head coach.... Of another team...

I'm speculating of course, so feel free to tell me how much he would cherish working for Mike Brown as a head coach. I don't care.

For what it's worth, Zimmer would be the guy I really wouldn't have a problem with, as he has familiarity.

There still isn’t any discipline on this team! This has been an issue for a few years now. We’ve got our top two WR in the locker room before the half ends and we needed them for one more play! I hope they’re both fined!

There is no sense of urgency. We’ve got less than 3 minutes left in the half, down by a couple touch downs and our offense is walking back to the huddle and walking to the line of scrimmage. The only guys I seen jogging we the rookies, who were coached with discipline in college!

Why in the world did we have Scott receiving the ball on the first kick off? Didn’t we have Jones, Shipley and someone else doing that all preseason?

On a positive note, we did spread the ball around on offense.

Place kicker looked good too!

Our water boy didn’t run out of cold water either.

I love coming into this forum every season and reading some of the TYPICAL fans totally bash our team. GEEZ!!! We played a GREAT team at there house, and its the first game of the young season!!! lets not fire marvin, bench carson and kill the complete defense just yet people.

Did I read that right?

GREAT game?

I would hate to see your definition of a bad game.

No you didn't read it right! He said "played a great TEAM " so now you know.

Thanks everyone for correcting me. Geeze. Got it the first time, and the second time, and now the third time.

I disagree that they are a GREAT team though. But its an opinion.

Just hope we can fix everything by next week.

Teams, Offense, and Defense were dominated by a good team.(Though they had inexperienced corners, very old running backs, and youth and patchwork players everywhere else) Palmer could easily have been intercepted 2 or 3 more times. Really was forcing balls. BTW - May possibly have been worst half of Palmer's career IMO.

Patriots dropped easy balls.

Did the D have one tackle for a loss?

A loss is a loss though. At least we didn't get jobbed like Detroit.

C'Mon players..lets see what you are made of. C'Mon coaches - you have a lot to prove as well.

A Lot is riding on this season for Palmer, Lewis and Bratkowski.

:bengal:

If the Bengals won in the fashion the Patriots did today, I sincerely doubt ML would have said the same things. Bull.

Bull?

Probably.

But this early in the season I'm not sure what you'd rather hear from the losing coach but boilerplate coachspeak.

I certainly don't want him pointing fingers, and I most definately do want him to immediately shift the focus to the NEXT game.

I guess what I want from Marvin right now is a simple acknowledgement that the New England Patriots are very good and an admission that he and his coaching staff were soundly outcoached from start to finish.

Beyond that, move on.

Why should Zimmer be offered the job in the first place? Aren't we all in a very bad mood today in large measure because of how Zimmer's squad performed?

1 Game vs 32 others we loved the man for...Beats other possibility's of Brat & Alexander "shrug"

Why should Zimmer be offered the job in the first place? Aren't we all in a very bad mood today in large measure because of how Zimmer's squad performed?

1 Game vs 32 others we loved the man for...Beats other possibility's of Brat & Alexander "shrug"

Brat has a 5 year get out of jail free card apparently.

Now he is open to more no huddle, because it worked for a bit. Just throw it against the wall Brat. What a genius game planner we have for an offensive coordinator.

He instills as much confidence as a 90 year old grandma catching me on a trust fall.

• 1 month later...

Somewhere prior to this thread, there was one regarding Marvin's contract status. I have to wonder if this is having some effect on what is in effect the same team as last year. Maybe guys are tuning him out, I don't know. I'm not sure why they would do that considering they were in the playoffs last year but who really knows what's going on inside PBS.

The other point is does anyone think Marvin should be bumped upstairs to be the GM? He seems to understand that side of the business so perhaps that would suit him better. I doubt that Katie and Mike would relinquish that role though.

Somewhere prior to this thread, there was one regarding Marvin's contract status. I have to wonder if this is having some effect on what is in effect the same team as last year. Maybe guys are tuning him out, I don't know.

I won't straight-up draw a line to connect cause and effect - but there's a reason teams don't let coaches reach their walk year. I'd say it has more to do with an explicably inconsistent offense, an inexplicably inconsistent defense, and the same old crap with regard to penalties. Add to that the patented Tampa Bay twilight zone and the Cleveland Backup superstar syndrome, and there's two bonus losses right there.

The other point is does anyone think Marvin should be bumped upstairs to be the GM? He seems to understand that side of the business so perhaps that would suit him better.

Hey, knocking an underperforming coach upstairs worked for the Knicks, right? ;))

Actually, in all seriousness, Marvin would never do it but it would make sense. Anybody who can work with Mikey has sort of carved out his own niche there.

For what it's worth, anybody notice we have the # 3 Offense in the NFL ?

I wonder if that lofty ranking means this team will only draft two WR's in next years draft instead of three?

Possibly... but they will probably be in the 1st and 2nd rounds to replace Chad and T.O.

Who knows with Mike Brown but to be fair there were some here who criticized the Jordan Shipley pick as being unnecessary but he has turned out to be quite a find. He's heads and tails better than anything we had as a third down WR and that is a vital role in today's NFL. He is on a pace to challenge Cris Collinsworth as the best rookie WR ever in this town.

Somewhere prior to this thread, there was one regarding Marvin's contract status. I have to wonder if this is having some effect on what is in effect the same team as last year. Maybe guys are tuning him out, I don't know. I'm not sure why they would do that considering they were in the playoffs last year but who really knows what's going on inside PBS.

I'm sure it's playing a big role, for sure. Look at last year, this team was fired up and made the playoffs. Now everyones just going through the motions as if they all just want this season over with. I would attribute that to the coaching uncertainty right now.

The other point is does anyone think Marvin should be bumped upstairs to be the GM? He seems to understand that side of the business so perhaps that would suit him better. I doubt that Katie and Mike would relinquish that role though.

No, I think he should be sent packing never to return. Absolutely no way he should be anywhere near the personnel decisions for this team. I disagree on his understanding that side of the NFL, the guy thinks you can assemble a bunch of me-first castoffs, criminals and loudmouths and that'll make a winning formula. It doesn't.

Keep him away, get someone in here who understands if you want a team built to win for years you build with high character, hardworking team first players.

No, I think he should be sent packing never to return. Absolutely no way he should be anywhere near the personnel decisions for this team. I disagree on his understanding that side of the NFL, the guy thinks you can assemble a bunch of me-first castoffs, criminals and loudmouths and that'll make a winning formula. It doesn't.

Keep him away, get someone in here who understands if you want a team built to win for years you build with high character, hardworking team first players.

Great point, but I'm not sure Marvin was on board with all the decisions involving castoffs, criminals and loudmouths.