Time to give Brat some love?

derekshank

I was thinking about the Bears game and how great of a game Brat called. Then I thought back to the Packers game, and what a great game he called. And I started thinking about the difference between those two games and the other 5 he has called.

The difference I came up with? Dropped passes.

Brat takes a lot of heat for his predictability, but I've been impressed the entire season with how he creates mismatches. In fact, if Coats didn't have such horrible hands, we'd probably be talking about the offensive juggernaut instead of the cardiac cats.

I think specifically of the unbalanced line to show what Brat is doing this year. He lost his two starting TEs, so he made up for it with the use of an extra OT. It's not quite as crazy looking as the Wildcat... but if this were Parcells or Belichick, the media would be on their balls for this formation. Especially in the instance when they used Peko as a FB, or when Palmer threw a pass from that formation.

Last year was really bad. Injuries took a toll, and Brat didn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to make up for what was a terribly untalented O-Line. This year though, with a ton of inexperienced players, he brought a new approach. It might not be as sexy as a trick play formation like the Wildcat... but I think it shows how Brat is learning to adapt his gameplan to the talent he has. He's creating mismatches by making full use of the talent available to him. Props.

I've never bought into the Brat hate. Ever.

And this year, frankly, given that they had apparently built a lot of their package around Kelly/Utecht coming into camp, what they have fashioned on the fly with regard to ML's desire to have balance and run the ball has been noteworthy. The unbalanced jumbo lines, the TEs in the backfield, rolling the pocket, there is a lot of "new" that has been in put in place of necessity that bespeaks a coordinator doing a fantastic job.

I was thinking about the Bears game and how great of a game Brat called. Then I thought back to the Packers game, and what a great game he called. And I started thinking about the difference between those two games and the other 5 he has called.

The difference I came up with? Dropped passes.

Brat takes a lot of heat for his predictability, but I've been impressed the entire season with how he creates mismatches. In fact, if Coats didn't have such horrible hands, we'd probably be talking about the offensive juggernaut instead of the cardiac cats.

I think specifically of the unbalanced line to show what Brat is doing this year. He lost his two starting TEs, so he made up for it with the use of an extra OT. It's not quite as crazy looking as the Wildcat... but if this were Parcells or Belichick, the media would be on their balls for this formation. Especially in the instance when they used Peko as a FB, or when Palmer threw a pass from that formation.

Last year was really bad. Injuries took a toll, and Brat didn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to make up for what was a terribly untalented O-Line. This year though, with a ton of inexperienced players, he brought a new approach. It might not be as sexy as a trick play formation like the Wildcat... but I think it shows how Brat is learning to adapt his gameplan to the talent he has. He's creating mismatches by making full use of the talent available to him. Props.

Can't argue with that. Brat's offense was stale and he stepped up in the offseason and made adjustments after training camp. Good stuff. It seems like this whole team just took a completely different direction.

Me neither. At least not in terms of his playcalling.

Offensive playcalling is the easiest thing in the world to criticize on Monday morning. This has always been true, and has been even more of a tendency with the popularity of Madden making every 13 year-old boy think he could coach an NFL franchise.

The fact is... Every offense is predictable for 90+% of the game. In fact, the majority of the time, the primary difference between a guy who is considered a genius and one who is on the hot seat is not in the playcalling at all, but in the execution.

And if a team can have effective execution for most of those 90+% of the play calls, that's when an unpredictable play call really works... and that's when the term "genius" starts getting thrown around.

I won't lie. I was concerned about Brat. But not because of his playcalling. It was the same reason I was concerned about Marvin. It seemed like he lost the team. Several of the players quit on them. They seemed undisciplined and unprepared. But they started cleaning house toward the end of last year... and things have been 100 times better.

I had problems with Brat and his substitution patterns, which I believe was tipping the defense to our plays. If you run the numbers (and all NFL teams do) there was a strong statisical likelyhood that based upon certain personnel groups the offense was going to run certain plays. Last game he really started mixing things up, they were passing out of their "jumbo" package, running out of spread formations, and generally keeping the defense off balance. Few teams have the talent to really keep the defense guessing and the Bengals are one of them so I just hope we keep it up "Confusion to the Enemy!"

The fact is... Every offense is predictable for 90+% of the game. In fact, the majority of the time, the primary difference between a guy who is considered a genius and one who is on the hot seat is not in the playcalling at all, but in the execution.

True. But I do recall occasions around 06/07 in which Brat would call the same damn run every time on 3rd/4th and short. And they'd get stuffed nearly every time. And despite evidence that it wasn't working, he'd keep doing it multiple times in the same game.

I suppose Carson can share some blame for not just calling an audible to get out of the play - assuming he was allowed in that situation - but still, you need some unpredictability in 3rd/4th and short or you'll get killed.

That was really the only problem I had with him. I do seem to recall times where he'd get into too much of a rhythm with run/pass or pass/run on 1st/2nd down as well, but didn't look at it systematically.

In any event, the only reason people are kicking Brat now is because Chucky the Caveman isn't running our defense anymore. If Brat's the biggest thing we have to b*tch about (now that St. Louis and apparently Coates have been put out of our misery), I'm real happy.

I do recall occasions around 06/07 in which Brat would call the same damn run every time on 3rd/4th and short. And they'd get stuffed nearly every time. And despite evidence that it wasn't working, he'd keep doing it multiple times in the same game.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but are you referring to that little shovel pass play they always ran on 3rd and long?

I remember defending that play time and time again when complaints were made about it. That has never been a play designed to pick up a first down. That's a play designed to pick up 6-10 yards when the defense has 5 or 6 DBs on the field. It was a play designed to help with field position when you have a high powered offense and a fairly weak defense. It's a play designed for the team the Bengals had at the time.

If we're not talking about the same play, then in defer. But I'll also say I always felt Brat threw the ball far too often in short yardage situations... So I'm not sure if we're on the same page or not.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but are you referring to that little shovel pass play they always ran on 3rd and long?

No, I'm talking about 3rd/4th and *short* (under 2 yards). The one I was thinking of (I wish I could remember which stretch of games it was) was a vanilla run with Rudi between Guard and Tackle against 9 in the box. I recall them trying the same run, to the same side, at least 3 times on critical downs when it was clear it wasn't working. I'd have been fine with trying a little misdirection, actually.

I remember defending that play time and time again when complaints were made about it. That has never been a play designed to pick up a first down. That's a play designed to pick up 6-10 yards when the defense has 5 or 6 DBs on the field. It was a play designed to help with field position when you have a high powered offense and a fairly weak defense. It's a play designed for the team the Bengals had at the time.

I'm actually fine with it - don't think I was ever one of its major detractors, as long as it gets you the 8 yards you want to play field position. Depends on the situation whether you go for the first or just cut your losses. Interestingly, haven't we gotten, like, a lot of first downs this year off of that play or similar?

If we're not talking about the same play, then in defer. But I'll also say I always felt Brat threw the ball far too often in short yardage situations... So I'm not sure if we're on the same page or not.

Well, since I'm complaining about too many conventional runs on 3rd/short, and you're complaining about too many passes on 3rd/short, I suppose this really just illustrates that Brat's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. ;)

Could be he just gets too determined to stick with his game plan, or one specific play of a type (ie, going with the same run, the same pass, etc) in similar situations. Or it could be we're all full of it.

It's the nature of the game.. Brat's football IQ is actually really high. He's a good coach. I haven't always agreed with him but after watching him on Hard Knocks he had my full support. He has played BIG part in building this offense.. Most don't know that. Remember we have a very small scouting dept. so that means a lot of the players drafted on offense, he's had a say in, especially in 85.

My biggest issues with Brat are generally about what appears to be his philosophy of placing the burden on the player to do more than the play is designed to do, mostly on 3rd down.

Quite often, over the last 3-4 years, we see 3rd downs where if over 5 yards and field position is not the issue (meaning an attempt to make up some yards so as to not be punting from the end-zone, or getting 8 yards back on a 3rd and 25) he will call a play that is designed to pick-up yardage less than what is needed for the 1st, and require the player to "make a play" to get the difference. For example, on a 3rd and 6, he calls quick-in pass to the Y receiver, which is caught for 3 yards and the WR must now "get" the other 3. To me, in that situation, it is better to call a play that gets the 6 based on the route, not the route plus YAC.

As yourself how many times you've seen us come up short by throwing a 7yrd pass on 3rd and 8? A hell of a lot of times like that.

For 3rd and short (and 4th as well), I've felt he also mis-used the RB talent he's had (mostly Rudi) by running the same 23 dive. Rudi simply did not have the power to really jam it through, nor the timing or patience to wait for the hole, nor burst to get there before whatever hole might have been there jammed shut. Brat simply called the play, player ability not-withstanding (Rudi).

I also take issue with his TE playcalling, in general. Now, this ear has been very odd, in that Coates has dropped so many passes my brain hurts and that they have gone to the TE seemingly more than in the past. It looks like they truly want to establish the run, go with play-action and have the TE release and be the 3rd/4th read. In the past, this was a red zone method Brat used with Kelly and Schoebel. Now, they use it far more and integrate the TE, or have attempted to, as a more involved part of the pass attack. Some of this may be groundwork for Chase to build on when he is ready but it also could be that Carson needs that last outlet with TJ gone that the TE is the best fill-in.

Brat also has run a mind-numbing amount of end-arounds. Even this pre-season, they ran it. They used to run it with TJ, though while he would get the tough extra yard instead of running OOB, he was not exactly the burner you want racing to the other end to turn the corner. Now that Caldwell is emerging, he has the speed to make it to the corner but I have never seen that play work so well in the NFL that I would use it as liberally as Brat has.

I can say that this year has easily been the best playcalling since 2005. I have only had minor issues with the calls and if the drops were caught and some penalties were eliminated, the Cleveland and Baltimore games would have been more like the Chicago game. This offense has the talent to score like that, week in, week out, they just need to execute and be disciplined. Also, I think this year they are utilizing the talent they do have better than in the past; calling plays that better math the strengths of the individual player. I think Chad runs some of the best mid-to-deep routes in the NFL. He is so sudden and sharp, it is easy to understand why has states no one can cover him. When Chad wants to, and the line blocks, he can get open and get 15-22 yards at any time. Same thing with Benson. He has the vision, timing and quickness that he can read the play, make a cut and be hitting a CB as well as anyone, getting 10-14 yards just like that. Brat is calling plays that suit the talent better, rather than forcing the talent to "make" a play.

Just, please, no more end-arounds.

I have been a vocal Brat critic for some of the past play calling. Was quite impressed with that little 'Wildcat' stunt, I must say. Having been a critic, I'll also dish some props. He's using the tools he has very well this year. That includes helping out the o-line and weak TE side with different blocking schemes.

No problems giving him his share of props.

Agreed. A few games here and there over the last handful of years I've questioned some of his decisions, but I think he does an outstanding job. The complaints directed his way mirror the complaints every fanbase directs at every offensive coordinator at every level of football.

I don't care if he runs an end around once a game, sometimes it works. He barely ever abandons the run, and when he gets creative it usually works (hello, flea flicker).

I have been guilty in the past of bitchin about Brat's play-calling at times, but that doesn't mean I thought he was a bad coach or should be fired. I do the same thing this year with the Gators and their new offensive coordinator.

I think Brat has been predictable in the past with his substitutions and personnel packages. But, this year Brat has truly kept the opposition off-balance and I love the Jumbo package! We're gonna run! We know. They know it. But they still can't stop it! :bengal:

I've been a very vocal critic of Bratkowski for years. His systems seemed to lack creativity, and seemed to fall into the same thing I had accused Marvin Lewis of. I thought in the past they seemed to be coaching to not lose, instead of coaching to win. Then this year Brat promised us some new wrinkles, and our overload line came into play. This seems to be the first time I see Brat using the personnel he has to create mismatches. I love it, personally Im hoping to see Andre Smith get involved some too, possibly even with a 7 man ol. Make them stop what you want to do.

Also, since it was mentioned, I am a huge critic of the way the Bengals used the Shovel Pass, not because of what it was meant to do(pick up some yardage, control field position). But because the personnel groups and formations the Bengals would show. They would line up and any fan who watches them regularly could sigh before the play because it was clearly going to be a shovel pass.

For this year however, I give Brat a solid B grade. He has done very well so far this year in my mind.

I think, there is little to much love for Brat going on here.

Yes, he has done a good job this year. Finally mixing up the playcalling and remembering the RB in most games past the first 15 minutes is nice to see.

My problem is he had not been doing his job well for at least 2 years and was still making play calls like the 2005 team was on the feild. I hope he has learned from his mistakes and will continue with the job well done so far this season.

Remember Brat, the RB is on the team after halftime, too.

I still would have no problem with a replacement OC next off-season, due to no confidence that Brat will not revert to form with success.