If You're Going to the Game...

justinsage

Was at the game against Houston. Couple of thoughts considering it was my first PBS experience.

#1 Stadium was quiet. Granted we didn't have a whole lot to cheer about in the second half, but it was quiet from the start. To route for the Bengals over the past few decades has been a trying issue, so I find it hard to believe that 64,000 people weren't more fired up about a 4-1 team that Sunday. The loudest it got is when we hiked the ball successfully for a PAT! Maybe everyone expected a blowout and thought they were going to be bored all day (possibly why the game wouldn't have sold out without the help of Ocho and motorolla).

#2 You don't leave a game till it's over people. Use to live in Boston, and I was shocked at my first Red Sox game when other fans booed, threw trash, and yelled at other fans that were leaving the game early. Crazy, yes, but it left an impression. I don't care what the score is people, you stick around and cheer your team on till the bitter end.

#3 The reason it's called a home field advantage is that having your fans going nuts has an impact on opposing teams! People talk about the noise level at Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts), or even at M&T Bank, and how hard it is for the visiting team to get plays off or make adjustments at the line because it's so freakin loud! Saw (actually heard) none of that on Sunday.

All in all it was a pretty uninspiring experience my first time out. Team didn't play well, fans didn't cheer well. All of this to say, if you're going to a game this season, it's one thing to wear a jersey, a hat, or some type of team apparel. It's a whole different level when you scream, cheer, and stand up for your team. Make some noise people, make some noise!

Im with you Hollywood.

Until this team wins with regularity - the stadium will be the same. We dont know how to affect a game or not sure the overall fans want to. Its hard. Its hard to yell loudly for three hours. Its much easier to hang out on the concourse instant messaging and eating nachos.

I screamed as much as possible hoping for a false start or something, but I was one of a few in my section. The rest looked at me like I was crazy.

We do have an advantage at home, but it isnt as much as some other places.

I was there too, maybe my 9th or so game at PBS. It was easily the most disappointing from a noise standpoint, so at least know it's not always so pathetic (but only once or twice has it really been loud enough to do any damned good). I was terribly frustrated though, seeing maybe six freakin' people standing in my entire section on defensive third downs while the other 100+ sat silently. What the hell, people? Help your damned team out!

I'm not accusing anyone here of this, because I think only very passionate fans are going to bother visiting Bengalszone. Y'all don't need to hear this, and unfortunately the ones that do won't. My constant efforts to get the people around me to stand and shout were completely fruitless.

I already said this in another thread but it applies better to this thread...

I love having a team that doesn't flinch on the road and loves to shut other crowds up, but I'm gettin a little sick of this bulls**t these players keep spewing about how they like to play on the road better! Chad and Carson have both said they like playing on the road better than the jungle. This is redikulus! Its on them as well as us fans to bring an atmosphere that other teams don't like playing in, cause right now other teams get one more home game on their schedule when you come to Paul Brown Stadium! IMO, most of it is on the players. I think they like the us against the world mentality on the road, and when they deservedly get booed at home games they can't handle it!

I have a question since I've lived in Florida my whole life. I've been a life long Gator fan, I've been a Bengals fan for most of my life even though the rest of my family are Bucs fans. Anywho, my question is about the Buckeyes and their "home field advantage". The Swamp is always rockin no matter who we play. Is it that way for Ohio State or is that just how Ohio fans are?

Is it that way for Ohio State or is that just how Ohio fans are?

Ohio Stadium is much more intimidating to collegiate visitors than PBS is to NFL visitors. The Buckeyes have excellent home field advantage. The Bengals don't because of their lengthy history of ineptitude and a sarcastic fanbase full of twerps that never takes them seriously. Even in 2005, the only games that struck me as truly LOUD were the first Pittsburgh loss, the Colts loss, and the playoff loss (trend unintended).

Is it that way for Ohio State or is that just how Ohio fans are?

Ohio Stadium is much more intimidating to collegiate visitors than PBS is to NFL visitors. The Buckeyes have excellent home field advantage. The Bengals don't because of their lengthy history of ineptitude and a sarcastic fanbase full of twerps that never takes them seriously. Even in 2005, the only games that struck me as truly LOUD were the first Pittsburgh loss, the Colts loss, and the playoff loss (trend unintended).

Well...that's just sad! I understand b/c I was at home watching the game on the game mix b/c our players came out with no fire at all and I could tell from the opening kick that we weren't going to win the game unless something drastic changed!

We have to be loud and try to forget the past! Its hard but this is a different team than the one in the 90's...none of these guys were on those teams!

I too attended the game. Got there late due to coming straight from church. One thing my brother and I noticed was, as we walked across the bridge from Newport, we could hear a pin drop. That was mid first quarter. I could tell before I came into the stadium it was a subdued crowd.

How do we remedy this men? Is this just the mindset of a Bengals fan, can it be fixed? B/c obviously wins do not fix it b/c I think a 4-1 team coming off 3 str8 division wins would do it!

I too attended the game. Got there late due to coming straight from church. One thing my brother and I noticed was, as we walked across the bridge from Newport, we could hear a pin drop. That was mid first quarter. I could tell before I came into the stadium it was a subdued crowd.

How do we remedy this men? Is this just the mindset of a Bengals fan, can it be fixed? B/c obviously wins do not fix it b/c I think a 4-1 team coming off 3 str8 division wins would do it!

Its not an overnight thing. It will take several years of winning. Playing football that promotes pride. Shaking the history of a team that has never won the Super Bowl and has the honor of having the worst record over a ten year period. Thats hard to recover from. Season tix need to have a waiting list.

Its not an overnight thing. It will take several years of winning. Playing football that promotes pride. Shaking the history of a team that has never won the Super Bowl and has the honor of having the worst record over a ten year period. Thats hard to recover from. Season tix need to have a waiting list.

Fair enough...

I thought Detroit took that over late last season? There recent 10 year slide has been hoorendous.

I thought Detroit took that over late last season? There recent 10 year slide has been hoorendous.

That may be true but those ten years have damaged us as a fanbase.

I like where this team is at and where it could be heading. Just need to build in depth and experience and we can be competetive for years to come.