I have a question about Andre Smith

walzav29

I think this guy can help. The question I have is how could have possibly gotten into shape with a fractured foot? They said he will start practicing this week, but it seems to me that he wouldn't have been able to get in good conditioning. Has his foot been healed a couple of weeks and he's been working out? What's the rehab process?

I would have thought it was just about ready to go right now and start to get into shape. Apparently he's been doing pool work and non-gravity stuff (whatever the f**k that is) to shed the lbs. He's got three weeks to really motor and get in some hard practice for the BALT game. He won't be 100% probably for another 6 weeks or so but good enough to go I guess.

No doubt the foot will break again during practice in the bye week. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth please keep in mind that he hasn't played in a real football game since last December. I believe he missed their bowl game and left the combine. He also missed all of the OTA's and most of training camp. So I hope people are realistic about what he will be able to provide this team for the first few weeks while he gets into game shape.

I could see them using him in some jumbo packages with Roland sliding out to TE. However I would be surprised if he plays a whole lot, especially against the Ravens right of the bat.

Damn my post was poorly written (yeah yeah what's new before COB chimes in <_< ). What I meant was that I would have thought his foot was just about healed up and from today he would start the road back to getting in shape. Apparently though he's already kinda started that.

I just hope he doesn't break it again by going too hard too soon.

I'll confess I'm a cynical bastard by nature, and I never brought this up at the time, but...am I the only one who thinks it's suspicious that Keels caves all of a sudden, then Andre goes out and immediately gets hurt? I'm not saying it *did* happen, but has anybody raised the suspicion that perhaps he hurt the foot working out on his own, gimped through well enough to con the Bengals ace medical staff, then pretended to hurt it in practice?

A little OT, but it seemed odd to me at the time.

Who knows, wouldn't scans and x-rays be a pretty standard part of a through medical? How could they miss a broken bone on an x-ray?

It's possible though I guess. I'll still go with he's a big guy anyway who turned into a moobed landbeast after 6 months eating donuts and he overdid it.

I think this guy can help. The question I have is how could have possibly gotten into shape with a fractured foot? They said he will start practicing this week, but it seems to me that he wouldn't have been able to get in good conditioning. Has his foot been healed a couple of weeks and he's been working out? What's the rehab process?

Eating healthier, working in the swimming pool. You can use exercise equipment without standing up, too. There's lots of ways to exercise/work out without putting weight on your foot.

Who knows, wouldn't scans and x-rays be a pretty standard part of a through medical? How could they miss a broken bone on an x-ray?

1) I don't think so. 2) A hairline fracture can be easy to miss, especially when you've hired Dr. Nick as your team doctor.

It's possible though I guess. I'll still go with he's a big guy anyway who turned into a moobed landbeast after 6 months eating donuts and he overdid it.

Yeah. That's still the most likely scenario, but like I said, I tend to be extra suspicious.

1) I don't think so.

Wow, not saying you're wrong but that genuinely surprises me. Maybe they should think about incorporating those new fangled tests into a medical they're giving to a guy they're going to give ten of millions of dollars to.

1) I don't think so.

Wow, not saying you're wrong but that genuinely surprises me. Maybe they should think about incorporating those new fangled tests into a medical they're giving to a guy they're going to give ten of millions of dollars to.

I tend to agree. The only time I've heard of the average team doing imagery as part of a physical is for FAs that have a known problem - like the Vikings would want to know about Favre's shoulder, for instance. But I've definitely never heard of a team X-raying or doing MRI to, like, every body part. But I agree, I would want to.

Doctors can tell if a fracture is a new fracture or if its a bit older. I dont think he was already hurt. That'd be one hell of an acting job.

I cant wait to get him in as our TE. He will have to play special teams though.(Will have to wait to play against a bad returner though)

OT - I need to look and see who leads the country in holding calls. Whit has to be close.

I'll confess I'm a cynical bastard by nature, and I never brought this up at the time, but...am I the only one who thinks it's suspicious that Keels caves all of a sudden, then Andre goes out and immediately gets hurt? I'm not saying it *did* happen, but has anybody raised the suspicion that perhaps he hurt the foot working out on his own, gimped through well enough to con the Bengals ace medical staff, then pretended to hurt it in practice?

I believe the contract would have been contingent on Andre passing a physical, but I wouldn't put it past Doc Nick and the rest of the rusty saw gang boobs to miss it...

The only thing missing from your conspiracy rant is Andre tripping and breaking his foot while jogging across a grassy knoll.

but I wouldn't put it past Doc Nick and the rest of the rusty saw gang boobs to miss it...

One more ruptured achilles and someone better get fired. Kelly and Odom, two studs who we really need, and they both go down with this brutal injury. I'd be looking at our shoes, our turf, our lower leg conditioning, anything to avoid having this happen to a 3rd guy. So far our best tight end and our best d-lineman, so next would be Leon Hall or Ced.

I admire the turnaround the Benals are undergoing, but I see no evidence that the medical staff is part of it.

The only thing missing from your conspiracy rant is Andre tripping and breaking his foot while jogging across a grassy knoll.

I forgot, you were in Dallas in '61, weren't you?

As I prefaced in my original post, it's not my most likely scenario...but how inconceivable is it? You have a client. Negotiations are stalled. Fat bastard trips over himself and gets a stress fracture in his foot. Not entirely unlikely. What do you do if you're Keels?

So which part do you think is so preposterous - Andre hurting his foot while working out on his own, Keels covering it up, or the Bengals (on) crack medical staff missing it?

I forgot, you were in Dallas in '61, weren't you?

As I prefaced in my original post, it's not my most likely scenario...but how inconceivable is it? You have a client. Negotiations are stalled. Fat bastard trips over himself and gets a stress fracture in his foot. Not entirely unlikely. What do you do if you're Keels?

So which part do you think is so preposterous - Andre hurting his foot while working out on his own, Keels covering it up, or the Bengals (on) crack medical staff missing it?

My guess that if a 300 plus pound man can hide an injury through agility drills then he has one hell of a pain tolerance! He must be a tough guy then. If the man fractured his foot (stress fracture) it's very unlikely that he was able to practice, or even walk, normally while he was hiding his injury.

but I wouldn't put it past Doc Nick and the rest of the rusty saw gang boobs to miss it...

One more ruptured achilles and someone better get fired. Kelly and Odom, two studs who we really need, and they both go down with this brutal injury. I'd be looking at our shoes, our turf, our lower leg conditioning, anything to avoid having this happen to a 3rd guy. So far our best tight end and our best d-lineman, so next would be Leon Hall or Ced.

Agreed. I wonder if Field Turf is all it's cracked up to be.

My guess that if a 300 plus pound man can hide an injury through agility drills then he has one hell of a pain tolerance! He must be a tough guy then. If the man fractured his foot (stress fracture) it's very unlikely that he was able to practice, or even walk, normally while he was hiding his injury.

Agreed. But he only made it through a couple of jog-through sessions with the team, right? I admit it would probably hurt like hell. But, then, if you told me that I had to gut it out through a couple of non-contact drills with a stress fracture to make $20+ million dollars, damn right I'd do it.

For what it's worth, I had a stress fracture in my hip, and was running on it for a few weeks, 6 miles at a crack, before it finally got pretty bad and I went to the doctor.

And I do want to reiterate - I don't specifically think this *did* happen. I just thought it was surprising that not a single eyebrow was apparently raised.