Coats -vs- Coffman

Baghdad_bengal

I know coffman is not where he needs to be... but is he really so bad that Chase can't get in there? Coffman can't figure out the blocking scheme but Coats can't catch, can't hold on to the ball when he does catch it. Is it really worth it? I know there is a much better chance of Carson getting sacked (possibly hurt) if Coats can't block, but why not put him in on a passing play or two?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather watch a fat man take a dump onto a paper plate than see that usless schmuk Coats on the field ever again. We cut his useless ass for a reason. It is criminal that he gets paid.

The sad thing is that if Coats can catch we are blowing teams out this year. It's go time for Crash Dummy.

No question Hoosier. Coffman has to play. On obvious passing downs, throw him in. The D knows what's coming anyway, at least he might catch the odd pass.

The one sack we gave up today was on Coats, too. It's just beyond brutal -- its' at the level of brad st. louis -- to watch a wide open daniel coats drop pass after pass. We just can't keep doing this man. How many third downs would we have converted if daniel and coles weren't playing dropsy again? How can Foschi fumble there? We need Coffman in next week.

I know coffman is not where he needs to be... but is he really so bad that Chase can't get in there? Coffman can't figure out the blocking scheme but Coats can't catch, can't hold on to the ball when he does catch it. Is it really worth it? I know there is a much better chance of Carson getting sacked (possibly hurt) if Coats can't block, but why not put him in on a passing play or two?

yes. is a pass-dropping, and fumbling when he does catch it Coates, a better option than a slightly raw Coffman?

This smacks of an SoP-type decision. If he'd had it his way, we might have been watching Harrington dropping passes and fumbling out there.

October 18 2:56 ET

For the second straight week, TE Daniel Coats was questioned about his ability to hold onto the ball. Earlier in the season, coaches made him walk around the team’s complex with a football. Last week, he dropped two passes. Today, he dropped one and fumbled another. “There were things I should have done better.”

How about be a better player?

I agree that Coats has to go. This is not anything new either. He seems to have gotten worse since last year. He had a couple of critical drive-killers last year and shows no sign of improvement.

When I watched the Hard Knocks series, I thought Coffman wasn't too bright and that's being polite. He sounded a bit like Forrest Gump when he talked. So maybe it's more than just his ability to block. Considering he can't even be made active on game day when his competition are a couple of third stringers at best that tells me that he probably doesn't know his plays very well either. I find that hard to believe considering his pedigree and college career, but just listening to the Bengals coaches during the show left me with the impression that they had made a big mistake drafting this guy.

I think our guy might be our long snapper. He's got the size and he was in on a tackle on a punt early in the game so he's got some athletic ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see them work him in a little. After all he is active for every game since he is the snapper. The main issue would be for him to stay healthy so he can snap effectively.

From Lance McAlister's blog,

Clark Harris, 6'5 257 lbs

*Played in 48 games as tight end and long snapper at Rutgers including 33 starts

*143 receptions for 2,015 yards and 11 touchdowns

*6th in school history in receiving yards, receptions and is tied for 7th in touchdowns

*Caught a pass in 38 straight games, the 3rd longest in Big East history

*Finished his career with five 100-yard receiving games

*Career high in receiving yards with 122 in his final collegiate game at the Texas Bowl in 2006 against Kansas State.

I agree that Coats has to go. This is not anything new either. He seems to have gotten worse since last year. He had a couple of critical drive-killers last year and shows no sign of improvement.

When I watched the Hard Knocks series, I thought Coffman wasn't too bright and that's being polite. He sounded a bit like Forrest Gump when he talked. So maybe it's more than just his ability to block. Considering he can't even be made active on game day when his competition are a couple of third stringers at best that tells me that he probably doesn't know his plays very well either. I find that hard to believe considering his pedigree and college career, but just listening to the Bengals coaches during the show left me with the impression that they had made a big mistake drafting this guy.

I think our guy might be our long snapper. He's got the size and he was in on a tackle on a punt early in the game so he's got some athletic ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see them work him in a little. After all he is active for every game since he is the snapper. The main issue would be for him to stay healthy so he can snap effectively.

From Lance McAlister's blog,

Clark Harris, 6'5 257 lbs

*Played in 48 games as tight end and long snapper at Rutgers including 33 starts

*143 receptions for 2,015 yards and 11 touchdowns

*6th in school history in receiving yards, receptions and is tied for 7th in touchdowns

*Caught a pass in 38 straight games, the 3rd longest in Big East history

*Finished his career with five 100-yard receiving games

*Career high in receiving yards with 122 in his final collegiate game at the Texas Bowl in 2006 against Kansas State.

You don't write off a player like Chase Coffman BEFORE he even gets to dress for a game. I too cannot believe Coffman could be any worse than Coats, who has TERRIBLE ball skills and is no impressive blocker. They won't know what they have in Coffman until they let him play.

I am so sick of this team making decisions or non decisions like this! Its redikulus that these freakin retards we have impersonating tight ends are even in the league and Coats would have been cut if Reggie Kelly didn't get hurt and Foschi was cut by the gawd damn Raiders...but we think he's GOLD! :angry:

I don't care how bad he is at blocking, he is big enough to at least get in someone's way! Gawd damn it, this makes me so mad...I'm gonna go pick a fight

You don't write off a player like Chase Coffman BEFORE he even gets to dress for a game. I too cannot believe Coffman could be any worse than Coats, who has TERRIBLE ball skills and is no impressive blocker. They won't know what they have in Coffman until they let him play.

I agree but he's not active for a reason. Not sure what that is but something is just not right or he'd be in there.

I would consider doing something with Jeremi Johnson at least on the short term. He is obviously a capable blocker and has pretty good catching skills when necessary. He also knows the blocking schemes. May not have the height that you'd like in a tight end but I don't think he could do any worse. I think they used him on the line in some packages against the Ravens.

That's funny.. This is what I was saying last week. Are you guys with me now? You gotta put Coffman in the game in passing situations.

Who do you take off the active roster? I don't care, someone. Coffman should be suiting up. He's an NCAA record holder in catching the ball! We have two TE's that couldn't catch a cold.

If Coffman could block your grandmother, he'd be in there.

I read a blurb in the Dispatch today that said Coats didn't drop a pass in practice all week. They quoted him on it, and regarding his drops in the game, he was distraught. I think it's in his head now, which scares me.

Randy Cross on Sirius this morning said that Marvin told him Coffman needs to learn to be a pro, and he was thinking about suiting him up for the Texans game. He didn't, but based on that I'd expect Coffman soon.

Cross said the Bengals told him Coffman can hardly block. Then he went on for a while talking about how the Bengals have to be patient, that many rookies are just not ready for NFL football in the first year. I infered from his comments that he thinks Coffman could be good, but he should be allowed to develop.

On obvious pass catching downs, I'm with the previous poster who said put him in. Nothing to lose at this point.

The sad thing is that if Coats can catch we are blowing teams out this year.

And there's the rub, because despite his high profile mistakes Coats is managing to flash the very skills that earned him a roster spot as a "project" player in the first place. For a few examples, excellent size, good downfield speed, and better than average ability running after the catch. But he's not ready to start, or for that matter...even play major minutes, but due to injuries....(voice trails off)

It's go time for Crash Dummy.

Ummm, probably not. Granted, Coffman should start seeing some playing time in the next couple of weeks, but I'm in no hurry to see a player nicknamed "Crash Test Dummy" trying to block Mario Williams.

Just saying....

The sad thing is that if Coats can catch we are blowing teams out this year.

And there's the rub, because despite his high profile mistakes Coats is managing to flash the very skills that earned him a roster spot as a "project" player in the first place. For a few examples, excellent size, good downfield speed, and better than average ability running after the catch. But he's not ready to start, or for that matter...even play major minutes, but due to injuries....(voice trails off)

It's go time for Crash Dummy.

Ummm, probably not. Granted, Coffman should start seeing some playing time in the next couple of weeks, but I'm in no hurry to see a player nicknamed "Crash Test Dummy" trying to block Mario Williams.

Just saying....

Correction. The only skills Coats is showing are those which caused him to go undrafted and which would have seen him on the street had Kelly and Utecht not gone down to season-ending injuries. Run after the catch? Before or after he fumbles it away? Downfield speed?

Really? What good is that if after he gets downfield he can't catch the ball. Game after game. He hasn't got any better. After 6 games Coats is, to be charitable, a liability and not an NFL quality TE. Of course Coats is distraught at his poor performance. Who wouldn't be? He has been given the opportunity of a lifetime in his chosen profession and has failed miserably on a public stage for all to see. Its time for Coffman to get his chance. And don't tell me he isn't ready. The guy is the f**king John Mackey Award winner. He's big, strong and has great ball skills. He has no apparent character problems and has been touted as a great kid who is very eager to please and very coachable. And he spends every game in street clothes while the incompetent Coats is on full display as a drive-killer? WTF? The Bengals have had months to coach Coffman up and get him ready. Tell me, what good is Coach Hayes if Coffman really is unfit to step on the field. Sorry to the naysayers, but I don't believe for a minute that Coffman is unable to play in the NFL this coming Sunday. Are you telling me that he is worse than Coats? Really? Sure, Coffman might take his lumps and experience his share of growing pains, but at least he can catch the ball. Even if Coffman may be a project, at least he isn't the failed experiment that Coats is.

We don't wanna see him block.

Actually, I think you do. Your problem is Coffman can't block worth spit, and until he can improve to a point where he's no longer a liability as a blocker I'm guessing he's not going to take meaningful snaps away from anybody, including Daniel Coats. Because again, if Coffman were given the snaps Coats played against Houston our precious and beloved "Crash-Test Dummy" would have been matched up against Mario Williams all day long.

It's pretty simple dude. There's no reason why Coffman shouldn't be in there in those situations. NONE.

Oh, I'm pretty certain there's a legit reason Coffman isn't playing, and for all of your complaining I bet you know what that reason is without being reminded.

The only skills Coats is showing are those which caused him to go undrafted and which would have seen him on the street had Kelly and Utecht not gone down to season-ending injuries.

You seem to be tap dancing around the obvious without actually grasping it. That being, if the Bengals don't lose both of their primary TE's Coats doesn't play meaningful minutes this season, and probably wouldn't have made the roster. But they did lose both of those players, and ignoring the impact of those injuries doesn't help matters. Plus, Coffman is said to be far from ready by those who coach him AND by nearly everyone who actually watch him practice. In fact, it's been determined by the coaching staff that Coffman is less ready to play than bottom-of-the-roster types like Coats AND Foschi.

After 6 games Coats is, to be charitable, a liability and not an NFL quality TE.

Agreed. But he's starting over Coffman for reasons that can't be waved away simply by pointing to the round Coffman was drafted in.