Gone from Examiner.com

gregstephens

Guys, due to a recent dispute between myself and my editor, I am no longer affiliated with examiner.com. In fact, here is the sequence of emails that got me tossed:

"-----Original Message-----

To: gstep77507@aol.com

Sent: Thu, Oct 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Subject: FW: Activity

Re-sending per your request…

Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:57 AM

To: 'gstep77507@aol.com'

Subject: Activity

Greg –

I noticed you haven't published any articles in nearly a month, despite the team playing extremely well and me sending you some specific suggestions.

With the NFL season in full swing, it obviously doesn’t reflect well on us to have a Cincinnati Bengals Examiner who doesn’t publish. I appreciate the effort you’ve put into being an Examiner, but if you don’t think this is for you I’d really like you to be professional enough to tell us you’re resigning rather than just abandon your page.

Please let me know your thoughts when you get a chance.

- Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the re-send. Got it.

Ok, on to the email. I confess to you that the whole situation really soured for me in mid-September when we got blown off the Google map once again. I published three days in a row, I believe on Sept. 20, 21 and 22. That was after taking about a week off when my hits started going from 300-500 to about 30-50 overnight and for no discernable reason.

I posted a post-game article on the Bengals win over the Packers. I posted two articles on Ocho tweets. Both types of articles have done very well for me in the past.

Know what I discovered on the 21rst, 22nd and 23rd? Not only were my hits and pay not going anywhere, but I was nowhere to be found on Google. I mean, come on, my post Packer game article, done Sunday night following the game itself was nowhere to be found whereas an article from the Bloomington Picayne, or whatever it was, was on page two of the Google results.

So I get to thinking about this. Examiner changes our pay scale without any warning, discussion or explanation. Ok, fine. We all know we aren't getting rich off this deal, although I'm sure someone is or there'd be no Examiner. I never griped about the pay change. I hit 400 hits, pick up 3.75 as opposed to 4.00, fine. Whatever.

Then, there is something that has still not been fully explained about how Google is no longer picking up our stories unless we use all the right code words, secret signs and whatever. Funny how I can write on bleacherreport and the article appears no further down than the second or third page on Google, depending on the topic. Sure, write for bleacherreport if you want to work for free!! Ah, but I am once again working for free, since I am pulling in about .70 a day WITH steady and daily writing if I am lucky. But, if I write because I love it and want exposure as a writer and not because I can make money, I might as well write for bleacherreport because then people can find my stuff.

So, what you are then thinking is probably this: You can succeed if you market yourself better. Yeah, I produce my own traffic by posting links to my stories on Bengals' forums, my examiner facebook group, my examiner twitter page and sometimes even Digg It. Hence why I was at one point, in the PRE-SEASON no less, hitting 700 on a Sunday. What is the point of marketing myself, to any extent much less 'better' if you keep changing the system and making it harder for us to make our measley buck a day?

THEN, and this is where things get really good, I get you emailing me today about being unprofessional for not posting in a month (just a tick over three weeks actually). Really? Am I a professional for working for seventy cents a day writing one article per day, taking about half an hour to an hour? Am I a professional for writing my little hands off while you change the rules, with no explanation, on pay and search engine optimization and never complaining? Or am I a professional for not copying and pasting this entire email onto a new article so my thirty readers can read how Examiner really works?

So, as I spent the past three weeks trying to muster some motivation for getting back to work, you help me out with your original email. You want my thoughts? Find someone else to write on the Bengals if you can keep someone delusioned enough to think there is a positive reason for doing so.

And please keep in mind one thing. This isn't really directed at you, because I suspect you carry out the orders from above and I've found you to be a fairly nice guy. But don't delusion yourself into thinking this operation is 'professional' on any level. And to me that's the sad part. I think you and many of the writers want it to be professional. I think you and many of the writers work your tails off and try very hard and do your best. The problem is, the owners, bosses, whatever, want Cadillac performance at Hyundai prices. "We want to be taken serious as a news outlet like CNN." Yeah, nobody is writing for CNN at 3/4 of a cent per click.

Remove me, replace me or leave me alone and I'll post when I feel like it. I'll leave it up to you. But don't send me an email, acting like you're paying me sixty grand a year and demand that level of constant performance when you're paying me in peanuts and jerking me around at every turn.

Greg Stephens"

All of that being said and shared with you for one reason. Terry has been kind enough to allow me to link my stories on here for about six months now. You guys have been very good about reading the articles and not telling me I suck as a writer, which I probably do, hence why I practice law for a living. I appreciate the support and good times we've had together. It's been a blast. You guys have been great.

TJ, the picture is finally history. :lol:

Delude yourself, not delusion yourself. /pedant

You still going to write some stuff on bleacherreport from time to time?

Yeah, I believe I am. I can do it at my leisure purely for pleasure, and I'll post the whole articles on here instead of fleecing you guys for your 3/4 cent! :lol:

And I knew it was 'delude'...the moment AFTER I hit the send button.

I hear the big money is in blogging.

And by big money of course I'm referrring to the larger coins, like your quarter, half-dollar, and the occasional Susan B.

Eh, it wasn't about the money. These people change the rules and screw up the writers and don't even tell anyone about it. Before the September Google change, you could google 'Bengals Packers', for example, and I'd be in the first page news reports, then go to the second page for about three days. After the change, you couldn't find ANY of our articles with a search warrant, not just mine.

Then, when someone does ask about it, they patronize them and blow them off. I didn't do it for the money, but I also am not taking that crap FOR that amount of money, especially when I get these BS emails about 'not being professional' because I haven't felt like writing in three weeks.

Well, some people here probably do. That doesn't mean you have to be an ass like that. If you don't care then don't post in the thread.

Fair enough! My bad!

I'm just razzin' you. You're still a newbie. I've posted these stories on here since April. My original post was to explain why I'm not doing it anymore and to thank those that read them.

Obviously, that must not include you. <_<

Guys, due to a recent dispute between myself and my editor, I am no longer affiliated with examiner.com. In fact, here is the sequence of emails that got me tossed:

Greg –

I noticed you haven't published any articles in nearly a month, despite the team playing extremely well and me sending you some specific suggestions.

With the NFL season in full swing, it obviously doesn’t reflect well on us to have a Cincinnati Bengals Examiner who doesn’t publish. I appreciate the effort you’ve put into being an Examiner, but if you don’t think this is for you I’d really like you to be professional enough to tell us you’re resigning rather than just abandon your page.

- Steve

Steve,

Ok, on to the email. I confess to you that the whole situation really soured for me in mid-September when we got blown off the Google map once again. I published three days in a row, I believe on Sept. 20, 21 and 22. That was after taking about a week off when my hits started going from 300-500 to about 30-50 overnight and for no discernable reason.

I posted a post-game article on the Bengals win over the Packers. I posted two articles on Ocho tweets. Both types of articles have done very well for me in the past.

Know what I discovered on the 21rst, 22nd and 23rd? Not only were my hits and pay not going anywhere, but I was nowhere to be found on Google. I mean, come on, my post Packer game article, done Sunday night following the game itself was nowhere to be found whereas an article from the Bloomington Picayne, or whatever it was, was on page two of the Google results.

So I get to thinking about this. Examiner changes our pay scale without any warning, discussion or explanation. Ok, fine. We all know we aren't getting rich off this deal, although I'm sure someone is or there'd be no Examiner. I never griped about the pay change. I hit 400 hits, pick up 3.75 as opposed to 4.00, fine. Whatever.

Then, there is something that has still not been fully explained about how Google is no longer picking up our stories unless we use all the right code words, secret signs and whatever. Funny how I can write on bleacherreport and the article appears no further down than the second or third page on Google, depending on the topic. Sure, write for bleacherreport if you want to work for free!! Ah, but I am once again working for free, since I am pulling in about .70 a day WITH steady and daily writing if I am lucky. But, if I write because I love it and want exposure as a writer and not because I can make money, I might as well write for bleacherreport because then people can find my stuff.

So, what you are then thinking is probably this: You can succeed if you market yourself better. Yeah, I produce my own traffic by posting links to my stories on Bengals' forums, my examiner facebook group, my examiner twitter page and sometimes even Digg It. Hence why I was at one point, in the PRE-SEASON no less, hitting 700 on a Sunday. What is the point of marketing myself, to any extent much less 'better' if you keep changing the system and making it harder for us to make our measley buck a day?

THEN, and this is where things get really good, I get you emailing me today about being unprofessional for not posting in a month (just a tick over three weeks actually). Really? Am I a professional for working for seventy cents a day writing one article per day, taking about half an hour to an hour? Am I a professional for writing my little hands off while you change the rules, with no explanation, on pay and search engine optimization and never complaining? Or am I a professional for not copying and pasting this entire email onto a new article so my thirty readers can read how Examiner really works?

So, as I spent the past three weeks trying to muster some motivation for getting back to work, you help me out with your original email. You want my thoughts? Find someone else to write on the Bengals if you can keep someone delusioned enough to think there is a positive reason for doing so.

And please keep in mind one thing. This isn't really directed at you, because I suspect you carry out the orders from above and I've found you to be a fairly nice guy. But don't delusion yourself into thinking this operation is 'professional' on any level. And to me that's the sad part. I think you and many of the writers want it to be professional. I think you and many of the writers work your tails off and try very hard and do your best. The problem is, the owners, bosses, whatever, want Cadillac performance at Hyundai prices. "We want to be taken serious as a news outlet like CNN." Yeah, nobody is writing for CNN at 3/4 of a cent per click.

Remove me, replace me or leave me alone and I'll post when I feel like it. I'll leave it up to you. But don't send me an email, acting like you're paying me sixty grand a year and demand that level of constant performance when you're paying me in peanuts and jerking me around at every turn.

Greg Stephens"

All of that being said and shared with you for one reason. Terry has been kind enough to allow me to link my stories on here for about six months now. You guys have been very good about reading the articles and not telling me I suck as a writer, which I probably do, hence why I practice law for a living. I appreciate the support and good times we've had together. It's been a blast. You guys have been great.

that was awesome. I actually just applied. Maybe I can take your spot...lol

Greg

With the NFL season in full swing, it obviously doesnt reflect well on us to have a Cincinnati Bengals Examiner who doesnt publish. I appreciate the effort youve put into being an Examiner, but if you dont think this is for you Id really like you to be professional enough to tell us youre resigning rather than just abandon your page.

- Steve

Steve,

Greg Stephens"

I would be honored. Just do yourself a favor and don't tell Steve you know me. :lol:

Hey, greg, you're always welcome to write for stripehype! :sure:

Would that be the same Stripehype.com that has quickly become America's favorite source for knitted leggings and other womanswear?

And, apparently "Outback" detergent. Is that web ad annoying the @$^& out of anyone else? It's on just about every site, it seems...

I would be honored. Just do yourself a favor and don't tell Steve you know me. :lol:

I'm applying to take your spot writing the guy Dear John emails telling him that his organization is an amateurish oozing sore run by dimwitted tightwads.

I'm qualified because I've been reading Mike Brown posts on this board for several years.