What's the Call On the Texans ??

ArmyBengal

Since I don't think we have anyone living in Houston that I'm aware of that can give an indepth report on things like Mem did last week (Thanks again) I wanted to get everyone's ideas for what they are expecting in this weeks game against the Texans...

I think this is a game the Bengals "should" win. It will interesting to see how our secondary matches up against the Texans WR's because I think they have a pretty solid corps and Slaton out of the backfield isn't to be taken lightly either. Andre Johnson has been a beast to this point, but our secondary has been shutting down #1 WR's without thought this season. Will Kevin Walter benefit from that or will the Bengals force Schaub to his checkdowns most of the game ??

I'm hoping the Bengals offense can find a way to put an entire game together as opposed to waiting until the 4th quarter. I know that's not entirely true, but you get what I'm saying. The Texans defense has given up 120 points so far in the season and 23rd in overall defense. They are 16th against the pass and 26th against the run. I'm really hoping this is the game our offense has it's breakout day and I can see another big day from Benson.

The Texans have been a pretty inconsistent team to this point, but have the ability to put some points on the board quickly with the 5th best passing attack in the NFL right now. Their running game is where the inconsistent comes into play, sitting at #30 in their rushing attack. Schaub has been sacked 8 times, so I will also be watching to see what our defensive front can do with bringing some pressure.

Overall, I think the Bengals will not be overlooking the Texans and they should be remembering last years game if there is any thought to an easy game. I think the Texans will keep things interesting, but I feel this may very well be the game this team puts a complete game together. I look for the offense to have it's best day yet and a defensive effort that will once again be more than the opposing offence can handle.

Bengals 27

Texans 17

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Bengals "should" win, but I don't discount the Texans. They are capable of beating any team in this league. Why they haven't been more competitive to this point is beyond me.

I don't get into to guessing scores, cause I don't have the slightest idea where to start with that, but I see another close game that the Bengals win by less than a touchdown. More than likely, it comes down to the fourth quarter again.

This definitely has a combination of "trap game" and "reading your own press clippings" dangers to it. Coming off 2 big wins over the last 3 weeks, can they get up for a team that's never really done much but has a lot of talent? This is where coaching makes the difference, keeping these guys working their tails off when the media is kissing their asses.

My only other fear? Mario Williams.

My only other fear? Mario Williams.

I haven't heard his name much this year. Has he done anything yet? Not saying we should discount him, but it seems he's not having the same kind of year this year that he had last year.

This o-line has held off some pretty stout defenders as well, so I'm simply hoping they continue in that manner. Williams has 18 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble on the season, but yeah, he's one of those guys that has to be accounted for.

Yeah, I went and looked that up after I posted that. Not too impressive so far, but he's still someone to game plan for.

This game scares me. I keep seeing people say "trap game" and I just don't see that. This team will certainly remember what happened a year ago. No way they take johnson or slaton lightly.

No, my bigger concern is more intangible, a let-down emotionally after what they went through last week w/ Zim. I wonder, in the wake of the service, what their emotional state of readiness will be this week.

Hard to say.

Our O-line will be tested once more this week. If the O-line can attain at least parity with their D-line then I think we will win. Dangerous team though who really need a win to keep their head above water.

I hope we try and go through the middle of the field in the passing game more. I think this game could be the one where Coles finds his feet.

Their running game is struggling so hopefully we follow the pattern of previous weeks. Contain the run and make them pass it. Then all you have to worry about is the LB playing receiver for them.

I'll take a 1 point last gasp win right now.

If we didn't squeek by Cleveland I would think they'd lose this game. That game proved that they can't just waltz through a game. I also think they owe this one to the fans to give them a reason to show up. (they probably don't really care). I know defending home field is important to Marv. and they haven't played a complete game yet. Plus that was a beating they took in Houston last year.

Cin 35

Houston 17

Someone needs to tell the guys on that board that, yes, we can contain their passing game. We haven't raced anyone with as good of an offense as them? I guess green bay, the steelers, and the ravens don't have good offenses. I'm as much a fan of blind homerism as anyone, but I don't just lie to myself. It's beyond me how team's think that a close score against the bengals is us losing 37-10 or something. Let's hope we build on last week's momentum, continue to pound the running game, and see more 9 routes from Slim.

Defense will be brutal this Sunday, too. Expect it.

Wow, those Texans fans must be seeing something we're not. Yes they have good players, but last I looked they're 2-3. They shouldn't be acting like they're going to win in any game, let alone this one coming up.

That Texans forum is amusing at best, but will give credit to those who are seeing how close this game should be. Here's some examples:

"The Bengals always start out good and then fade"

Really, he must have missed our 0-8 start last year followed by our strong finish.

"The Bengals only know about Andre Johnson and don't know about our other WR's"

You mean like Kevin Walter who use to play for the Bengals ??

"The Bengals haven't faced a team with as many weapons on offense"

Wow, I could have sworn we played Baltimore, Denver, and Pittsburgh sitting at 5,6,and 7 in overall offense.

"Nobody can stop our passing offense"

Would that include the Jets, Jaguars, and Cardinals that have beaten them ?? I think they should check our numbers against #1 WR's as well.

"If both sides of the ball play complete games, this should be an easy win"

If both sides of the Bengals team play a complete game (hasn't happened yet) we will blow them out. Yeah, I said it.

"They have many of the same players on defense we beat last year"

I'll simply defer to our roster and allow then to compare players from last year to this one.

Once again, I'm not saying the Bengals can expect to walk away from this game with a win and it will be another tough game for all the reason I've already given, but to make outlandish comments like that is plain silly. The other guy who lives in Cincinnati saying most fans are expecting a loss is delusional. I would say most are expecting a tough game with a good opponent, but a loss ?? No I am expecting a win. What happens remains to be seen, but it doesn't change the fact I think the Bengals win this game.

I can't explain it very well, but this game no longer concerns me as much as it once did. But to try to sum it up, due to the dramatic finishes, lessons learned, and an offense still trying to hit it's stride I no longer think this is a game the Bengals will look past. Rather, I think they'll play the same brand of hard-nosed and deeply flawed football that has resulted in a series of fabulous finishes.

Bengals 27

Texans 20

BTW, I'm hoping to see Jonathan Joseph jump a route and return an interception for a TD against THIS team.

This game scares me. I keep seeing people say "trap game" and I just don't see that. This team will certainly remember what happened a year ago. No way they take johnson or slaton lightly.

No, my bigger concern is more intangible, a let-down emotionally after what they went through last week w/ Zim. I wonder, in the wake of the service, what their emotional state of readiness will be this week.

Hard to say.

I agree with the funeral on Tuesday and everything else i hope its not to emotional for them. They had a couple very emotional days, and hope they come out fired up. I think the Texans are a tough team, but you never know what team your going to get.

Im suprised nobody hear has talked about the special teams yet, they have good returners, and last year they killed this team. So lets hope the special teams has its act toghter and stops them.

I think they said the weather could be kind of crappy on Sunday for the game anyone hear anything yet!!

Oh BTW i have to work Sunday so i will have to miss most of the game anyway, so i hope in my absense they will learn how to blow a team out this week.....doubt it but heres to a win on Sunday!

PFT...

Two Texans linebackers are hurting

Posted by Evan Silva on October 15, 2009 6:43 PM ET

With a matchup at Cincinnati on the slate, both of the Texans' starting outside linebackers are on the Week Six injury report.

Rookie strong-side linebacker Brian Cushing, the club's leading tackler, needed an MRI on his foot Thursday and missed practice. Weak-side linebacker Zach Diles, a new addition to the injury report, had "limited" participation Thursday due to an in-practice injury.

"We're expecting him to play," coach Gary Kubiak said of Cushing after the workout. "I think he'll be alright," Kubiak added of Diles.

Still, the injuries are concerning for a Texans defense that has surrendered more rushing touchdowns and a higher yards-per-carry average than anyone in the league.

On Sunday, Houston will try to stop NFL rushing leader Cedric Benson (for real). In Week 5, Benson became the first back in 40 games to top 100 rushing yards against the Ravens.