This is the game that launches the Bengals

walzav29

This will be Palmer and Marv's 1st home win against Pitt. They have to settle the score with Hines. This is the 1st time in a while that the Bengals D and running game will go up against the 1 dimensional Steelers. As always it will be tough. It's not a must win, but it will be one hell of a confidence booster for this team.

I think this is a HUGE opportunity for the Bengals in many ways. It could launch them and if not focused, could wreck them

Ben does the one thing that has haunted the Bengals and that's being mobile to creat plays with his mobility and being able to take hits.

Rogers d*mn near did it yesterday running the 2 minute drill and creating all kinds of plays for them in their comeback bid.

I think our defense should be good and fired up for the game and the fans should be to. If the offense can stay on track and the Steelers continue with their running problems, I think this will work in our favor and the defense will see their first INT's of the season and continued sacks.

I am just hoping they get over the win quickly and get focused equally fast !!!

There was a thread a while back about the most important game of the season and while you can argue (and I did) that all games are important, this game is absolutely HUGE for this Bengals team. Playing at home in their first division game of the season against the defending champs. H-U-G-E HUGE !!! They have a chance to jump ahead of the Steelers in the standings early on. Yeah, that's big...

There was a thread a while back about the most important game of the season and while you can argue (and I did) that all games are important, this game is absolutely HUGE for this Bengals team. Playing at home in their first division game of the season against the defending champs. H-U-G-E HUGE !!! They have a chance to jump ahead of the Steelers in the standings early on. Yeah, that's big...

Very true. The win is all important. Win pretty or win ugly. A win gives this team genuine confidence and belief and that's huge.

Absolutely. I don't think Palmer is scared of the big bad Steelers. He had them for a minute, then the running game and defense fell off. I really think it's between Cincy and the Ravens.

Let's not jump the gun, folks.

I'm as happy as anyone about the win yesterday, but the Bengals didn't magically change overnight. Most of the fans around here were ready to proclaim this season lost, and now we're putting the Super Bowl rings on their fingers (yes, I'm aware that I'm exaggerating)? They still have to prove to us that they can clean up the mistakes and play well on a consistent basis.

I think they CAN beat the Steelers, but I'm going to wait and let them prove that to me before I get overly excited.

That said, keep up the positive attitude. I'll certainly take that over the doom and gloom everyone was spouting last week :P

It would be nice to be able to look back four or five years from now and be able to point to this one as a turning point. I thought we had achieved something like that in 2005 when we won in Pittsburgh at the end of the season but it didn't last.

I'd love to look to Coats' first down play as our version of the Immaculate Reception or the Tuck Play that changed things around here instead of going against us (see last week).

There was a thread a while back about the most important game of the season and while you can argue (and I did) that all games are important, this game is absolutely HUGE for this Bengals team. Playing at home in their first division game of the season against the defending champs. H-U-G-E HUGE !!!

Not sure I agree with that. The bengals have pretty much sucked at home the lst few years and have played better on the road. If they expect to do anythng, they have to find some way to get a better home field advantage.

There was a thread a while back about the most important game of the season and while you can argue (and I did) that all games are important, this game is absolutely HUGE for this Bengals team. Playing at home in their first division game of the season against the defending champs. H-U-G-E HUGE !!!

Not sure I agree with that. The bengals have pretty much sucked at home the lst few years and have played better on the road. If they expect to do anythng, they have to find some way to get a better home field advantage.

Not sure I understand your response.

All I said, was this is a HUGE game and that it's important in that it's a division game at home against the Steelers.

Are you disagreeing ??

They have to correct all the mistakes that went on Sunday. Palmer has to protect the ball better, cant have stupid penalties in order to win this game. I think any game is winable its just who dosnt turn the ball over, and dosnt make the stupid mistakes. They cant shoot themselves in foot everytime something good happens for them. I said before they have to learn how to win again, how to start a game, and how to finish a game, and i thought sunday they did most of these, but still were shooting themselves in the foot. This is a big game so lets see how they react.

It is also a big game for coaching players must be in the right place at the right time, and Brat better call a great game like he did on Sunday. This offense can be dangerous, and its much better on paper then the Bears, but yet Cutler still was driving the bears down the field pretty good.

The Defense scares me alittle Ben is a hard QB to face, and i really hope Zimmer plays a physical game and goes after Ben, it seemed like on Sunday they were playing the bend dont break defense, which is fine, but i want to see them go after Ben with exotic blitzes from all angles.

Last Sunday we got to see how this team handled adversity. And they handled it pretty well.

This Sunday, we'll see how they handle a little success.

I think the Steelers are still the best team in the league regardless of what the Jets blow-hards are spouting off about. And I am anti-Steeler to the core.

So I have no great expectations for Sunday. However, there are a good number of guys that have been here for awhile and getting even with the Steelers for a number of things should provide ample motivation. I look at this game as a measuring stick. How good are we? How good can we be? Can we handle a bit of success as you mentioned? Can we play with the big boys? We shall see.

Still no love from Vegas. Bengals are 4.5 point home dogs. Since the home team usually gets 3, that means they basically went from 9 point road dogs last week to 7.5 point home dogs this week.

that is actually interesting. the steelers have injuries to the O-line, Polamalu, and Limas Sweed and are coming off a real loss to Chicago and going on the road.

history says Pitt will roll. history can be made to change.

I think Bengals can run on Pitt by going over their heads early. just smashing them won't work, they are simply too tough and strong to overpower. I do think they need to go with fresh looks now that 2 games are on film. Gotta get some flash in there with Scott and some plays featuring Leonard before they start smashing with Benson.

I expec a big game from Cheech, as I feel the Steelers D will double Chad and they are thin at CB depth to cover Chenry.

Bengals 24 - Steelers 16

Still no love from Vegas. Bengals are 4.5 point home dogs. Since the home team usually gets 3, that means they basically went from 9 point road dogs last week to 7.5 point home dogs this week.

that is actually interesting. the steelers have injuries to the O-line, Polamalu, and Limas Sweed and are coming off a real loss to Chicago and going on the road.

I think Bengals can run on Pitt by going over their heads early. just smashing them won't work, they are simply too tough and strong to overpower. I do think they need to go with fresh looks now that 2 games are on film. Gotta get some flash in there with Scott and some plays featuring Leonard before they start smashing with Benson.

I expec a big game from Cheech, as I feel the Steelers D will double Chad and they are thin at CB depth to cover Chenry.

Bengals 24 - Steelers 16

That's how it worked in 2005 and 2006.

The Steelers have their vulnerabilities. Their o-line is junk, for one thing, and the loss of Polamalu is a big blow. That said, they are still the defending champs, and have regularly been beating up the Bengals and taking their lunch money at PBS.

But even the Fitzbungles of '08 managed to hang with them for a half. IIRC both games were something like 10-7 Pitt at the half; our inability to score, or even stay on the field, and a gassed defense allowed Pitt to pull away later in both games.

If we get the kind of day out of the O that they delivered in Green Bay, then this game is easily a coin flip. But if they can't get points and hang the D out to dry, we will lose by 2 TDs or more.

The Steelers have their vulnerabilities. Their o-line is junk, for one thing, and the loss of Polamalu is a big blow. That said, they are still the defending champs, and have regularly been beating up the Bengals and taking their lunch money at PBS.

But even the Fitzbungles of '08 managed to hang with them for a half. IIRC both games were something like 10-7 Pitt at the half; our inability to score, or even stay on the field, and a gassed defense allowed Pitt to pull away later in both games.

If we get the kind of day out of the O that they delivered in Green Bay, then this game is easily a coin flip. But if they can't get points and hang the D out to dry, we will lose by 2 TDs or more.

They are so good at making halftime adjustments. With the exception of the above mentioned games, we have been unable to do that very often.

Bengals 24 - Steelers 16

They need to play Henry more in order for him to play, so i hope Henry gets his chance this week!

I agree it's a huge game. I was just saying as far as it being a great opportunity or even more huge because it's at home, I wouldn't get my hopes up since the bengals are better on the road than at home.

How are the Bengals a better road team? Since Marvin Lewis took over the team the Bengals have posted a 27-21-1 record at home, and after the Green Bay game they have posted a 20-29 away record. Now the Bengals do traditionally play Pittburgh better away from home, but overall they are a better home team.

I agree it's a huge game. I was just saying as far as it being a great opportunity or even more huge because it's at home, I wouldn't get my hopes up since the bengals are better on the road than at home.

How are the Bengals a better road team? Since Marvin Lewis took over the team the Bengals have posted a 27-21-1 record at home, and after the Green Bay game they have posted a 20-29 away record. Now the Bengals do traditionally play Pittburgh better away from home, but overall they are a better home team.

Don't bother the mighty Joe Wrong with facts!!

Pong's assumption that the Bengals are better on the road is likely unfounded, but I would be inclined to generally agree that they're not really any better at home either. Disregarding the 2008 season, they've not really been overly impressive in either regard outside 2005 (5-3 at home, 6-2 on the road). I don't know why, but even when the Bengals are playing well, home and away seems to be an irrelevant variable.