Will the offensive gameplanning change for next week?

cincyhokie

This has been and still is a passing offense. We are not a run first offense but can be effective if we "pass to run". Also, can Brat adapt the playcalling to stretch the field, take some pressure off of Palmer, use outlet plays to slow down the pass rush? What about actually using some of our offensive weapons like B. Scott and DeDe? Can he effectively use Henry and Chad simultaneously and allow Palmer to throw the ball DOWN the field????

Open up the playbook, Brat...this is not a conventional run first offense. Allow the playmakers the chance to make some plays, take some chances, and we actually might have a chance against the Packers.

Knowing who's calling the plays, I'll go out on a limb and say we'll see more of the same next week. Brat is horrible at calling the plays.

According to Carson, they were looking downfield most of the day, but the Broncos had two deep most of the time so they couldn't go deep.

Dede was inactive yesterday and they only gave Scott one touch on one of the worst calls of the day.

Somebody really needs to kidnap Brat and stash him somewhere until the season is over.

Knowing who's calling the plays, I'll go out on a limb and say we'll see more of the same next week. Brat is horrible at calling the plays.

According to Carson, they were looking downfield most of the day, but the Broncos had two deep most of the time so they couldn't go deep.

Dede was inactive yesterday and they only gave Scott one touch on one of the worst calls of the day.

Somebody really needs to kidnap Brat and stash him somewhere until the season is over.

True, there Carson, but if you put Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell out on the field...no cover 2 can stop it consistently. You're an all-pro QB Carson...and Brat, stop letting the opposing defenses dictate the flow of the game...take it to the defense. Try impose some kind of will against the opponent.

Bring back the no huddle! Carson ran it like a pro back in the day, and it made our run game more effective at the same time.

One kudos I'll give to Brat for yesterday was the wildcat play yesterday with Leonard. That said, I don't expect another defense not to notice that we didn't even have a kicker on the field :P

Bring back the no huddle! Carson ran it like a pro back in the day, and it made our run game more effective at the same time.

One kudos I'll give to Brat for yesterday was the wildcat play yesterday with Leonard. That said, I don't expect another defense not to notice that we didn't even have a kicker on the field :P

Another one was the wishbone/wing with two lineman in the backfield with Benson. That was Benson's longest run of the day.

No more of the end-arounds, crossing routes of 6 yards, or HB dives on 2nd and 8.

I'd like to see 5 wide. I'd like to see the JET with DeDe and Bernard. I'd like to see a Chad/Henry/Caldwell triple. This is no rocket science. It is about creating mismatches.

They do not create mismatches. The no huddle creates mismatches.

Brat should be charged with a misemeanor for only getting the ball to Bernard one time.

Brad St. Louis should be given his final warning.

Still no kudos for Brat. That play was Simmon's call. So Brat still sucks ass.

The Packers run press-man almost exclusively, so there should be some downfield opportunites, at least. They might have the best secondary in the NFL, so I would expect a lot of checkdowns if nothing is there, as Collins and Bigby are both ballhawks that basically roam the field on passing downs. They are an attacking defense in the Steelers mold, so some misdirection and delayed stuff (counters, draws, screen passes, etc.) could be effective.

Anybody have an opinion on how Jeremi looked? I saw what looked to be one missed block and none of the patented teeth-rattling JJ blocks from a few seasons ago, which is about what I expected. That said, I'd give him a passing grade, overall.

It'll be interesting to see how Brat attacks their 3-4, but it would be best to go with more multiple-receiver sets, IMO. I would also like to see Coffman active, to potentially create some instant mismatches with their huge, less athletic OLBs. Split him out wide in as the TE in a 3 WR set, and everything opens up a little. I also think that Ced runs better out of the single back set than he does playing behind a FB. The only questions would be how predictable it makes the offense, and can AC Collins be trusted one-on-one on the edge.

I didn't have any real issues with how Brat called the game, and I think he showed some interesting wrinkles with the unbalanced line, loaded backfield and the reverse to Chad was something he hasn't called with success to Ocho in a few seasons.

No sh*t there Skyline, the no huddle would have been nice to see out there yesterday. If what you are doing isn't freakin' working, change it up.

They just looked stale...

Anyone who knows anything about football can look at this team and tell you its strengths are the 4 WR sets (mismatches galore w/ Henry and Caldwell), Carson's arm and a spread out defense for Benson to run. It is not this team's strength to put one or two TEs in the game, or Jeremi Johnson and think their O-line is going to win the line of scrimmage.

I don't understand what's happened to Brat and Marvin because they used to know this. Marvin replaced Kitna with Carson because he said they wanted to go over the defense's heads. In our heyday (2005) the Bengals ran a no huddle and used multiple WR sets. Why don't they do that now?

All I ask is that they coach to the strengths of the team.

It should certainly be tried. Our O-line isn't quite the equal of the pat's O-line though. Maybe they're worried about Carson being broken again if they expose him to good pass rushes.

Yep. Running the type of offense that spoiled us in '05 requires a very high level of play from the O-Line. The Bengals are still rebuilding the line, and while it appears improved from last year, there is no way I'd trust them to hold off a decent pass rush long enough for a play to develop no matter how many WRs are on the field. Mismatches are meaningless if the QB has no time to throw the ball. Right now the Bengals need a TE and a RB to stay in for pass blocking, so a 3WR set is probably the best you can hope for.

That said... I would be using that 3WR set like it was my bread and butter. Back in '05, Palmer was at his most dangerous with Rudi alone in the backfield Kelly in for blocking, and 3 WRs to choose from. I'd like to see some more of that.

Right now the Bengals need a TE and a RB to stay in for pass blocking, so a 3WR set is probably the best you can hope for.

That said... I would be using that 3WR set like it was my bread and butter. Back in '05, Palmer was at his most dangerous with Rudi alone in the backfield Kelly in for blocking, and 3 WRs to choose from. I'd like to see some more of that.

Couldn't agree more. *insert the usual disclaimer about it being the Bronc's D here* They came out and were gashing them for yds through the air at the start of the game. Seemed to go away from that while it was still working (IMO) and it never really came back but Chad played well and, even though it resulted in a penalty, even tried to block. Chad, Coles/Caldwell and Henry are a nice group of receivers. Let's use them.

True, there Carson, but if you put Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell out on the field...no cover 2 can stop it consistently. You're an all-pro QB Carson...and Brat, stop letting the opposing defenses dictate the flow of the game...take it to the defense. Try impose some kind of will against the opponent.

Amen Brother!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing matters because the o-line is pitiful for the 2nd year in a row, I've been saying it all off-season.

Wait until they are playing tough teams on the road, and you are trying to win against the Ravens and Steelers D with the worst interior o-line in the league.

They were 4-11-1 last year for a reason, Palmer can't complete passes from his backside and Henry/Chad can't get open downfield with 2 sec's to throw the ball every down.

Just watch.

Both Denver and GB play a 3-4 but Denver dropped the safeties way back, thus there were open routes in the middle of the field.

Will GB use that template to keep the plays in fornt of them? I doubt it. As it has been mentioned, and from what I saw against the Bears, GB plays press man coverage and lets the safeties watch for outlets to TE's and RB's. The bears threw a few screens to Forte that got yards but there was littel downfiled for Cutler (plus I think he is very overrated).

The Benals must come out and use different looks. Line Roland up outside Collins or Whit, like a loaded run, and play action to Henry. So the same and then run Leonard off tackle, a one cut move to the second level. Use that wishbone/wing again and overwhelm the one side of GB's 3-4 again and again. That would soften things up for the next mis-match with Scott getting some plays where he can get loose in space, or baiting the Safeties up only to get burned deep.

This is not that hard. I really can't see how this is so difficult?

I recall when Corey went to the Patriots and they did not run the ball, oreven get him on the field, for the first quarter (IIRC) of the first game. Now, that will notwork every game, so when you talk about gameplanning, these are the things you try. Dictate, dont be dicked.

Well, Marvin said last year that they were going to start running the ball. This is the beginning of that change.

It is obvious that they aren't ready, with this set of personnel anyway, to run the type of smashmouth offense Marvin (and I) dream about. A blind man could see that, so I expect Brat to change it up some.

The defense was horrible just a couple years ago. They bring in Zimmer and now we've got a good defense. Bratkowski better get his ass in gear.

I have no evidence (that sentence should just precede everything I write in here), but I suspect Brat has the total backing of Carson, and that backing has a lot to do with his secure spot. In this organization, what Carson wants (like a roster spot for his little brother) Carson gets.

In the short term, what Carson's probably going to want is what a lot of us want; a more diverse, trickier, for lack of a better word, game plan.