Bengals Official "CUTS" Thread

ArmyBengal

Fletcher is the biggest name here, but hardly suprising...

With their third preseason game in the books and three days to go until the deadline for cutting the rosters from 80 to 75, the Bengals have gotten a head start on the process, trimming a trio of players.

Gone is cornerback Jamar Fletcher, a ninth-year player who was a first-round pick of the Dolphins in 2001. After stint with the Chargers, Lions, and Texans, Fletcher spent 2008 in Cincy, appearing in eleven games and starting twice.

The Bengals also cut a couple of undrafted college free agents -- Purdue receiver Greg Orton and Central State (Ohio) defensive tackle Pernell Phillips.

Greg Orton, by the way, is not the brother of Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton, even though they both went to Purdue.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/29/bengals-cut-jamar-fletcher/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of future cuts, I'm getting the feeling that whoever loses the SS battle between Roy and Ndukwe could be on the outs. Cutting either would surely not be popular with most fans, but both have looked horrible this Summer. I really don't see Hebert going and Lynch is going to be tough to cut, considering his youth, football smarts, versatility and potential. While Roy looks more than a step slow, the bone-headed plays/missed tackle combination continues to haunt Nduke.

Interestingly enough, a lot on who stays or goes in that scrum could be dictated by whether David Jones is healthy or not.

Ndukwe had a number of GREAT games last year, and is younger and cheaper than Williams and is signed for longer (ie Williams is using us to extend his career)

If it comes down to those two, I keep Ndukwe

I'll go farther if it comes down to Williams and Lynch, I keep Williams. Even after losing a step he is faster than Lynch.

Ndukwe had a number of GREAT games last year, and is younger and cheaper than Williams and is signed for longer (ie Williams is using us to extend his career)

If it comes down to those two, I keep Ndukwe

I'll agree with you, as I've been less than impressed with Roy, but it's interesting that after a few seasons on the defense a guy like Roy can be brought in from off the streets to be named the starting SS from Day 1. This '09 Roy Williams is not like Adrian Wilson, or even Madeiu Williams, for that matter. From what I can tell, Roy is as much a coverage liability as advertised and the only hit I've seen him lay on a ball carrier this season was after the runner's forward progression had already been stopped in the last game against the Rams. If Roy is still the starter, that definitely says something about how the coaching staff feels about Nedu.

As far as Ndukwe goes, I still believe he's the best playmaker in the secondary, and his career stats validate that statement. I just hate the Adam Dunn-proportions of whiffs in run support, but I guess the real question is it it worse for a player to get to the ball carrier and not make the tackle consistently (Ndukwe) or at times not get to the ball carrier at all due to pedestrian speed (Roy)?

Maybe we're really deciding between Rogers Beckett and Ifeanyi Ohalete...but let's hope not.

Offense: 26-27 players

2 QB: - tonight was Jordan's extended audition for another team. I could see him somewhere like Seattle or SF.

Carson

JT

4 RB: = sorry James Johnson, you got caught in a talent whirlwind. He could end up conntributing somewhere. very good back.

DeDe

BScott

BLeonard

CBenson

5 WR:- Purify could make it or go to PS. I am not sure Cosby makes it based on the WR talent on the team. DeDe, Scott and Nelson can return punts.

Chad

Cheech

Coles

Simpson

Cadlwell

2 TE: a new guy could go to PS

Coates

Coffman

1 FB:- Johnson did not show me enough. We need out FB to block, and Pressley breaks facemasks. I know I will be wrong and they will keep Johnson but I would not keep him.

Pressley

9 O-line: Koistra is finally let go. I really like Roland to make it and Shirley showed enough to merit more development.

Cook

Collins

Livings

Whit

Williams

Roland

Luigs

Shirley

Smith

3 P/PK: Could they need to keep Swank? Is Golden Leg really injured? This is why Jordan gets cut.

Graham

Huber

Swank

Too tired to look at the defense, will review tomorrow based on the rest of yours input.

Is safety down to Lynch vs. Nelson, or is that just how HBO produced it? Lynch has looked a bit tentative, and that Nelson kid has looked fantastic.

I think COB mentioned it in the Hard Knocks thread - HBO showed Nelson walking into PBS as the Obese Bringer of Doom walked up to talk to him. I almost lost it before he just said hello and let Nelson go. Clever editing by HBO, but not funny! Kid has to make the team.

Is safety down to Lynch vs. Nelson, or is that just how HBO produced it? Lynch has looked a bit tentative, and that Nelson kid has looked fantastic.

I think COB mentioned it in the Hard Knocks thread - HBO showed Nelson walking into PBS as the Obese Bringer of Doom walked up to talk to him. I almost lost it before he just said hello and let Nelson go. Clever editing by HBO, but not funny! Kid has to make the team.

I think so, TRRW (although I'm not a huge fan, keeping an open(ish) mind about him), Crocker, Duke and White seem safe enough. I'm liking what I see from Nelson so far. Although I thought Lynch looked promising last PS. His injury and iffy play this PS might just mean he gets the elbow.

Carson Palmer

J.T. O'Sullivan

Jordan Palmer

Jeremi Johnson

Chris Pressley

Cedric Benson

Bernard Scott

Brian Leonard

Daniel Coats

Chase Coffman

Andrew Whitworth

Nate Livings

Kyle Cook

Bobbie Williams

Anthony Collins

Scott Kooistra

Andre Smith

Dennis Roland

Johnathan Luigs

Jason Shirley

Chad Johnson

Laveraneus Coles

Chris Henry

Andre Caldwell

Jerome Simpson

Quan Cosby

Robert Geathers

Antwan Odom

Michael Johnson

Frostee Rucker

Domata Peko

Tank Johnson

Pat Sims

Clinton McDonald

Keith Rivers

Dhani Jones

Rashad Jeanty

Rey Maualuga

Brandon Johnson

Darryl Blackstock

Leon Hall

Jonathan Joseph

David Jones

Morgan Trent

Tom Nelson

Chris Crocker

Roy Williams

Chinedum Ndukwe

Marvin White

Kyries Hebert

Shane Graham

Kevin Huber

Brad St. Louis

Practice Squad

Fui Vakapuna

Dan Skuta

Maurice Purify

James Johnson

Sam Swank

Augustus Parrish

Freddie Brown

Darius Hill

Since we have that two week exemption on Andre Smith we will probably carry an extra tight end for a couple of weeks. Eventually I expect the third tightend spot to split snaps between an offensive lineman and Andre Caldwell.

I think we'll go with Brian Leonard over Dede. Leonard is our short yardage back and our singleback, and I just think he brings more to the table than Dede, plus Dede is always hurt. We should trade Dorsey for anything we can get, even if its just a conditional pick so we can control where he lands. I have a feeling if we just cut him, he will end up in a Browns uniform.

I don't think we'll go with just two QBs. Jordan is still a good developmental project, plus teams get to keep a third QB on their 45 man game-day roster without it taking a roster spot.

Since we have that two week exemption on Andre Smith we will probably carry an extra tight end for a couple of weeks. Eventually I expect the third tightend spot to split snaps between an offensive lineman and Andre Caldwell.

I think we'll go with Brian Leonard over Dede. Leonard is our short yardage back and our singleback, and I just think he brings more to the table than Dede, plus Dede is always hurt. We should trade Dorsey for anything we can get, even if its just a conditional pick so we can control where he lands. I have a feeling if we just cut him, he will end up in a Browns uniform.

I don't think we'll go with just two QBs. Jordan is still a good developmental project, plus teams get to keep a third QB on their 45 man game-day roster without it taking a roster spot.

I agree with your list 100% Blain,I like fact you had Blackstock beat out Hodge which makes sense when it comes to talent even though would mean throwing Rey in to the Middle if Dhani got hurt...Wouldn't mind finding way to keep Dede but really I think Scott is gonna offer plenty of big plays...

I agree with your list 100% Blain,I like fact you had Blackstock beat out Hodge which makes sense when it comes to talent even though would mean throwing Rey in to the Middle if Dhani got hurt...Wouldn't mind finding way to keep Dede but really I think Scott is gonna offer plenty of big plays...

player providing equal value + Mikey Boy's bean counting = bye bye Blackstock

I've seen a lot more from Hodge than Blackstock. Hodge has laid the wood and also been a monster on STs. I'd like to see him stay.

I'm somewhat disturbed that Simpson couldn't even show anything against 3rd and 4th stringers. The guy doesn't do much if anything on STs. He's not as fast as Caldwell. Seems to me the only reason he's still on the team is because MB reached for him in the 2nd rd. I wonder if his spot is safe.

-I think it's a very good sign that we have so many tough cuts this year.

-I think we ought to keep a 3rd TE spot open for a waiver wire pickup this weekend

-I think this roster cutdown process will be fascinating on Hard Knocks and make that "must see" TV next Wednesday at 10pm.

Final roster won't be settled until after they add a few from the rest of the NFL cuts. I still think the third corner is on someone else's roster right now. That said, I have been somewhat heartened by the progress Morgan Trent has made this camp. I think he can be a useful piece down the road. Good size on him and he likes to hit.

I hope they keep Leonard. I like Dorsey a lot, but Leonard gives them a dimension that Dorsey doesn't, with Scott already on the team. And I have a tough time arguing four backs and only one fullback, as I don't trust Johnson enough. If they would keep Pressley as the one fullback, then I would be cool with four RBs. That said, Dorsey's special teams chops are hard to overlook. Can they go 6 at LBer and keep 4 RBs?

Tough choices.

And, has Shirley shown enough promise to make the roster? Is he not eligible for the practice squad? Could they even sneak him through if he was?