Rams fake better than Bengals

Ox

Rams fake better than Bengals

By Paul Daugherty • pdaugherty@enquirer.com • August 27, 2009

Here’s your step-by-step guide to analyzing a Bengals preseason game:

Undrafted rookie Quan Cosby returns the St. Louis Rams’ first punt 49 yards, untouched, for a touchdown: Playoffs, baby!

Samkon Gado rumbles 16 yards off left tackle. Eleven plays, 71 yards against the Bengals’ first-team defense: They stink. When’s spring training?

(Great football name, by the way. Samkon Gado would never play soccer.)

The ’09 Bengals want to lay a big ol’ Child Please on the rest of the league, and another on all the flounders in the media. If you don’t know what Child Please means, please, child, do not ask your mother.

The Bengals didn’t further their cause Thursday night at home against the St. Louis Rams, who were 2-14 last year. At least not in the first half, which in Fake Game 3 is considered the dress rehearsal for the regular season. Starters play a lot.

Still, judging a team by its preseason is like judging a photograph by its negative.

We’ll just supply Thursday’s first-half math, and let you draw your own conclusions:

Bengals offense: Two turnovers, two sacks allowed, a holding penalty, seven points produced. Bengals defense: Zero sacks produced, zero turnovers forced, 14 points allowed.

The two turnovers give the Bengals five in three August games, which isn’t good no matter what month you’re talking about. “We can’t allow that to continue,’’ Marvin Lewis decided.

Well, it did, almost immediately. Jordan Palmer was intercepted midway through the third quarter.

The visitors led 24-21 midway through the fourth quarter. It would have been worse had the Rams not aided the Bengals’ effort with two big penalties that made possible Cincinnati’s second touchdown. The offense didn’t explode, even as J.T. O’Sullivan continued to impress as Carson Palmer’s backup.

Cedric Benson carried five times for 17 yards, 12 on one carry. The Bengals have declared they want to run the ball this year and maybe, with Palmer’s arm offering a relevant alternative, they will.

But Benson needs to do better than 3.4 yards a pop. He averaged 3.5 yards in 12 games last year, 3.4 in the first half last night and 3.2 overall this summer. He could use a few more holes, of course. But right now, the Bengals running game isn’t AFC North-approved.

The Bengals got handled on both lines in the first half. Repeat after me, the playoff-team mantra: Rush the passer/Protect the passer.

The offensive line looked good only to Alvin Keels, the agent for first-round holdout Andre Smith. O’Sullivan’s best effort in the first half was an improvised, sort-of shovel pass for 25 yards to rookie Brian Leonard, after the protection broke down.

Defensively, the push up front was negligible against the Rams’ slow backup QB Kyle Boller.

If this had been a real game, everyone would be ready for next year’s draft. Because it was a fake game, played without Carson Palmer, it’s a shrug. A concerned, it-better-be-better-than-this-and-soon shrug. But still, a shrug.

The only people with major concerns coming out of this one are the guys eligible for a face-to-face with Dr. Doom, Jim Lippincott.

The club’s director of football operations cuts players. It’s his job. Somebody has to do it. Lippincott has been a star on Hard Knocks, the HBO series featuring the Bengals. He’s scarier than Freddy Krueger.

Jim (Leatherface) Lippincott, up at 4 a.m., whetting the cutlery and oiling the chainsaw. If you’re a Bengal on the bubble, the only thing you want to hear from Lippincott is nothing.

The game wasn’t sold out, the first of several this year. This just in: You didn’t miss much. If you were at PBS and paid to be there, well, it’s only money. Highway meets robbery every August, at NFL fake games.

One more to go. That’s a promise, and a threat. Thursday’s dress rehearsal was nothing to tingle over.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090827/COL03/308270089/1007/SPT02/Doc++Rams+fake+better+than+Bengals

I love the negative spin.

No mention of Henry's emergence as a legit, game-breaking threat.

No mention of a RB group which most certainly will mean cutting a guy who would otherwise make almost any NFL team.

No mention of the very very good playof Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph.

No mention of Cosby's flashy punt return.

On many points he is correct, but this team is far better than he projects. Bottom line, he is a douche.

It's who he is. He's painted himself into a corner with his dull bleating over the years such that anything positive by the Bengals is like a personal slap in the face to him.

Daugherty is most readable when he's writing about himself and his life. Actual sports writing or commentary is not his strong suit. And his personal animosity towards the Bengals and the Brown family is unprofessional and self-defeating.

It's who he is. He's painted himself into a corner with his dull bleating over the years such that anything positive by the Bengals is like a personal slap in the face to him.

Daugherty is most readable when he's writing about himself and his life. Actual sports writing or commentary is not his strong suit. And his personal animosity towards the Bengals and the Brown family is unprofessional and self-defeating.

seriously, how could any self-respecting writer regurgitate "positive" drivel about this team/organization?

if you continued to write as if you wore rose colored glasses how could look at yourself in the mirror? mike brown's defiance and total lack of caring for the fans of this team is enough for anyone to hate him.

Hate to say it but I agree with Doc. I watched the whole game and it brought back recent memories of last season.

Our O-line was not protecting or creating holes, our D-line didnt even really have a decent quarterback rush with the first team.

I am trying to stay optimistic but it was difficult last night.

Daugherty is most readable when he's writing about himself and his life.

Perhaps, but I'm guessing even Paul Daugherty is aware very few people would bother reading what Paul Daugherty wrote about Paul Daugherty. Thus, decades fly by while Doc stays in the same city, doing the same job, writing the same bad articles over and over.

Mitch Albom he ain't.

Im not sure but last nights game was just weird, i watched it again and they were having 3 string guys come in for starters in the first half. I think in the 2nd quarter koostra came in for bobbie, and then a couple of plays later Bobbie came back in. So can somebody tell me what was the purpose of last nights game, even Benson hardly carried the ball. It makes me mad though that he was subin starters in the first half, instead of letting the "so called" starter play and gel.

seriously, how could any self-respecting writer regurgitate "positive" drivel about this team/organization?

if you continued to write as if you wore rose colored glasses how could look at yourself in the mirror? mike brown's defiance and total lack of caring for the fans of this team is enough for anyone to hate him.

Journalists are supposed to be objective. If your writing is tainted with hatred and negativity, then you're not being objective. The Bengals did some good things last night, and some bad. Only the bad were mentioned by him. I understand if he has a dislike of Brown, but that's not what the article was about. It was about a game between the Bengals and the Rams, not what a douchebag the Bengals have for an owner.

Hmm...if a team never goes to the playoffs, never even has a winning record... In other words, if a team is BAD more than it is GOOD, than to be objective would be to report it as such.

4 or 5 clowns here say otherwise. They would rather be told that it is raining as Mike Brown annually pisses down their necks to the tune of record profits. But the rest of the world thinks otherwise.

Hmm...if a team never goes to the playoffs, never even has a winning record... In other words, if a team is BAD more than it is GOOD, than to be objective would be to report it as such.

You can never stay in the confines of a conversation can you? This article was written about the third game of the 2009 preseason for the Bengals. Not their past, not the playoff record, or any part of their history. As such, objectivity would require you to acknowledge the good AND the bad. It would also require the writer NOT to be biased.

4 or 5 clowns here say otherwise. They would rather be told that it is raining as Mike Brown annually pisses down their necks to the tune of record profits. But the rest of the world thinks otherwise.

Wow, that's the line so nice you had to use it twice, huh? Who are you to say what fans would rather be told? You of all people are the LEAST qualified to be the judge of what Bengals fans want to hear and it's sad that you can't tell that by the responses you get every time you post.

Your rhetoric would be better received over at WDR. Maybe you should try your act there.

Journalists are supposed to be objective. If your writing is tainted with hatred and negativity, then you're not being objective. The Bengals did some good things last night, and some bad. Only the bad were mentioned by him. I understand if he has a dislike of Brown, but that's not what the article was about. It was about a game between the Bengals and the Rams, not what a douchebag the Bengals have for an owner.

to be honest, I haven't read very much of PD's work, ron. however, I did not really see any hatred of MB in this particular article. just some disgust over a bad performance by our starters against a 2-14 team last year and their much maligned 2nd string qb that we couldn't find an answer to. you get the feeling that he is upset about the lack of attention to the offensive line by the bengals brass, can't blame him.

there are positives in almost every game even for the losers but when said losers are 20 year losers ('05 aside) pointing out the flimsy positives means one can't get their head out of the sand. bottom line is that cincy is a pitiful excuse of an nfl org. and blathering on about one or two nice plays is not the kind of journalism I want.

to the tune of record profits.

Record profits huh? Why don't you enlighten us regarding the Bengals' balance sheet the last few years. I'd like to review the numbers myself, so let me know where you found the records showing they've made record profits.

to the tune of record profits.

Record profits huh? Why don't you enlighten us regarding the Bengals' balance sheet the last few years. I'd like to review the numbers myself, so let me know where you found the records showing they've made record profits.

hopefully those profits will plummet as more and empty seats and boxes reflect disgust with mngmnt.

to be honest, I haven't read very much of PD's work, ron. however, I did not really see any hatred of MB in this particular article. just some disgust over a bad performance by our starters against a 2-14 team last year and their much maligned 2nd string qb that we couldn't find an answer to. you get the feeling that he is upset about the lack of attention to the offensive line by the bengals brass, can't blame him.

there are positives in almost every game even for the losers but when said losers are 20 year losers ('05 aside) pointing out the flimsy positives means one can't get their head out of the sand. bottom line is that cincy is a pitiful excuse of an nfl org. and blathering on about one or two nice plays is not the kind of journalism I want.

Well, if this was a regular season game, I would share that disgust. But since it's not, it hardly matters. The preseason is for evaluation of players and finding out where you are weak. You try to win if you can, but it's not the ultimate goal.

Daugherty completely bashes the Bengals performance, and rightfully so, but being that it's preseason some positives should be pointed out. Winning isn't that important in the preseason. It doesn't count.

It's always a negative spin with him and it's irritating because I'm not one of those that buys the whole "It's easier to write about the negative" because it's not. It's just as easy to write about the positives from a game and yes, there were positives to be had. I also find it irritating how the reasons why some of the things went wrong are completely ignored. I understand that though, because how can you acknowledge the fact that we suck so bad if you find things to call good ?? I mean you had guys that are probably going to get cut playing in the first quarter in order to give starters a breath. You have guys that haven't been with the team for more than a week taking snaps with the first team. I mean what the heck do you expect to happen ?? Acknowledge that ?? Well that would just ruin the article now, so we can't have that...

For all of those that can do nothing but spew negativity, I would hate to see how the rest of their real lives are. Why ?? Because regardless of how you view the Bengals, it's entertainment. If you can't find anything to have fun with this team about even when things are going bad, what's the use ??

Something else that has gotten little mention and is also forgotten when expending so much time being negative is the punting from Kevin Huber. When was the last time we had a punter with the ability to change the game the way he has in preseason ?? He has punted for distance at times and when needed, punted for placement. His directional punting has been very good so far.

How about this defense, that wheile having a tough start, continued to play well and even the depth looked good. Yeah, the defense has me all sorts of excited even if it takes the o-line some time to gel and the RB's some time to pick up the blitz. Another guy getting little love ?? Hodge... Has anyone been paying attention to how he has been doing ?? Not only playing well in coverage, but also handing out the hits.

Anyway, this was the 3rd preseason game and while most teams treat it as a primer, it was noted EARLY on by the coaching staff that the Bengals wouldn't be looking at this game in that manner, so why get all worked up. Watch the game again and make note of who was in the lineup and when. Color me mostly unconcerned about what we saw Thursday.

It's always a negative spin with him and it's irritating because I'm not one of those that buys the whole "It's easier to write about the negative" because it's not. It's just as easy to write about the positives from a game and yes, there were positives to be had. I also find it irritating how the reasons why some of the things went wrong are completely ignored. I understand that though, because how can you acknowledge the fact that we suck so bad if you find things to call good ?? I mean you had guys that are probably going to get cut playing in the first quarter in order to give starters a breath. You have guys that haven't been with the team for more than a week taking snaps with the first team. I mean what the heck do you expect to happen ?? Acknowledge that ?? Well that would just ruin the article now, so we can't have that...

For all of those that can do nothing but spew negativity, I would hate to see how the rest of their real lives are. Why ?? Because regardless of how you view the Bengals, it's entertainment. If you can't find anything to have fun with this team about even when things are going bad, what's the use ??

Something else that has gotten little mention and is also forgotten when expending so much time being negative is the punting from Kevin Huber. When was the last time we had a punter with the ability to change the game the way he has in preseason ?? He has punted for distance at times and when needed, punted for placement. His directional punting has been very good so far.

How about this defense, that wheile having a tough start, continued to play well and even the depth looked good. Yeah, the defense has me all sorts of excited even if it takes the o-line some time to gel and the RB's some time to pick up the blitz. Another guy getting little love ?? Hodge... Has anyone been paying attention to how he has been doing ?? Not only playing well in coverage, but also handing out the hits.

Anyway, this was the 3rd preseason game and while most teams treat it as a primer, it was noted EARLY on by the coaching staff that the Bengals wouldn't be looking at this game in that manner, so why get all worked up. Watch the game again and make note of who was in the lineup and when. Color me mostly unconcerned about what we saw Thursday.

take this post and apply to the last 20 preseasons.

I really see nothing so different about this team to make me take up residence in hunky-dory land.

I really see nothing so different about this team to make me take up residence in hunky-dory land.

Then you're not paying attention. This team sucked last year and there WAS nothing positive to be found. This year there's been flashes of good, flashes of bad, but mostly mediocrity.

It's also different this year because it seems the players have bought into the system this year. They actually seem like a team this year. Carson, Whit, and Bobbie have stepped up and become leaders of this team. Last year we were dealing with cancers like Ocho Loco, TJ, and Rudi.

There's definitely a lot more reasons to be optimistic this year as opposed to last. I don't know how it will play out this year, but I know I'll enjoy watching them play this year a lot more than I did last year.

take this post and apply to the last 20 preseasons.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with taking up residence in "hunky-dory land" as you called it. It has everything to do with the fact that I would rather look to what is going well with the team and why what is going well may in fact help us be a better team. Because it's either that or be a miserable person who can no longer do that. If that applies to anyone here, than I suggest they simply move on to another team.

Something else that is somehow forgotten is, just because I am able to watch a game or review the team and find the things to look forward to, does not equal the fact that I am somehow blind to the ineptitudes of the front office or anything else a fan could certainly find wrong with the team. I simply prefer to have an optimistic approach to being a fan as opposed to continually saying the same tired ass sh*t with every post I make that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to anyone. But then again, maybe it's because I'm not an enlightened fan.

For those that are unable to look forward to anything going right with this team and want to continue posting about how bad Mike Brown and the front office is with every breath you can muster, might I suggest you try changing the salt content of the ocean by pissing in it. Unreal how people just seem to suck the life out of everything...

So basically, when the Bengals roll out the annual Lemon-wagon, make lemonade!!!

Palmer is injured again. But at least he's not dead.

The oline looks pretty bad again this year. But they could look worse.

Brat is still calling the offense. But at least it isn't Mike Brown.

Mike Brown is the Bengals GM. But at least it isn't Matt Millan.

The Bengals don't really look like a playoff team again this season. But perhaps they'll end up with a "non-losing record."

Hey, I'm starting to get the hang of this! B)

So basically, when the Bengals roll out the annual Lemon-wagon, make lemonade!!!

The Bengals don't really look like a playoff team again this season. But perhaps they'll end up with a "non-losing record."

Hey guy, your posts are so relentlessly critical of the Bengals and their fan base that they are downright dull.

Are you really a fan of the Bengals? If so, what is it you love about them that keeps you a fan?

Also, how's the research going on proof regarding your claim that they recently made "record profits"?

Are you really a fan of the Bengals? If so, what is it you love about them that keeps you a fan?

Their commitment to winning as top priority and their relentless pursuit of the Lombardi Trophy. Same thing every other Bengals fan loves about them.

Also, how's the research going on proof regarding your claim that they recently made "record profits"?

If you have to research that, then you really do have you head in the sand. I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make him think.

No it's about rather taking my time to find the positives in this team as opposed to b*tching endlessly to no avail. You know, what you do...

Everything you mentioned in your above post I didn't make mention of one time anywhere in my post you decided to highlight.

Keep on missing the point of most members posts here and respond with how bad Mike Brown is as an owner. I heard he reads threads on this site and is thinking of revamping everything he does in the front office because you don't like him.

We haven't gone back and forth for a while, but are you still confused with why everyone here thinks you are a complete dumbass or do you think they still dislike you for you uncanny ability to predict the future of the Bengals organization ?? I thought you being the smart guy that you are would have figured this out by now.

Their commitment to winning as top priority and their relentless pursuit of the Lombardi Trophy. Same thing every other Bengals fan loves about them.

If you have to research that, then you really do have you head in the sand. I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make him think.

why don't you answer the man's questions?

why don't you answer the man's questions?

He can't. He's buried so deep in his own BS that he doesn't even know which way is up.

Like I said in another thread MammaBear, your rhetoric would be better received at WDR. Seriously, take it over there. They'll love you.

Any update on where I can look at Bengals financial records that support your assertion that they've made "record profits"?