10 sacks in 2 games!!!!!!! Any OL's av

walzav29

Where O' Where can the Bengals get an OT. We saw this last year. I want to puuuuuuke. Palmer is hurt. He missed all of last season and they went 4-11-1. They draft an OT with the 6th pick. They won't sign him. WHy wouldn't they WANT to pay someone to protect the guy they paid so much?

I think some of them fell on the QB for holding on to the ball for too long, but with that said last night they looked there worst. I would figure they would have looked there worst against New England or even the Saints who both have much better D-Lines then the Rams. So the Rams must have been doing something that the O-Line hasnt seen before. They better fix whatever was going on other wise we will see a big problem this season

Man this pisses me... Maybe now they'll pay Andre. This is bullshiitt!! Our season is riding on this offensive line, that's it. If they fail and do not protect the QB, our season will be another loooooooong one.

I'm so fuccking mad right now.. The center and the right tackle better get their s**t together.

To this point I've only seen a handful of plays so I'll keep things short. First, the point about much of the blame falling on the QB position is dead on. Opposing teams won't blitz Carson in the same way that they're turning it loose against JT and Jordan. Yeah, they'll try...but not as often and not without paying a far heavier price.

And along those same line, most of the Rams pressure was coming from the defensive interior...and it seemed to be paying dividends due to the Bengals backup RB's missing blocking assignments.

Last, I don't think I understand the substitution pattern from last nights game. For example, I saw Evan Mathis getting snaps late 1st/early 2nd quarter.....while most of the starters were still in.

Last, I don't think I understand the substitution pattern from last nights game. For example, I saw Evan Mathis getting snaps late 1st/early 2nd quarter.....while most of the starters were still in.

Yeah, I made mention of that last night. This was not the typical "third game dress rehearsal." Just as another example, Benson was done early in Q2. He had just 5 carries for the night. I don't think we saw Henry until after the half. And there were sprinkling in subs and No. 2's with starters, like you saw with Mathis.

My take is that the coaching staff figured that with Palmer out, there wasn't much point to the whole dress rehearsal thing, and decided to get a look at some of the backups working with and against No. 1s.

Yeah, I made mention of that last night. This was not the typical "third game dress rehearsal." Just as another example, Benson was done early in Q2. He had just 5 carries for the night. I don't think we saw Henry until after the half. And there were sprinkling in subs and No. 2's with starters, like you saw with Mathis.

My take is that the coaching staff figured that with Palmer out, there wasn't much point to the whole dress rehearsal thing, and decided to get a look at some of the backups working with and against No. 1s.

Fair enough. I've only seen about a third of the game so far, haven't read any post game articles, and haven't yet made my way through most of the threads posted here.....so I've yet to see many of the things you're talking about. But yeah, even after seeing only a portion of the first half I noted an unusual mix of starters and backups....as well as the spotty play.

As I watch it so far the game sorta feels like the last preseason game, with a greater emphasis placed on final player grades for fringe players, rather than the more typical 3rd preseason game dress rehearsal for starting players lasting into the 3rd Quarter.

Fair enough. I've only seen about a third of the game so far, haven't read any post game articles, and haven't yet made my way through most of the threads posted here.....so I've yet to see many of the things you're talking about. But yeah, even after seeing only a portion of the first half I noted an unusual mix of starters and backups....as well as the spotty play.

As I watch it so far the game sorta feels like the last preseason game, with a greater emphasis placed on final player grades for fringe players, rather than the more typical 3rd preseason game dress rehearsal for starting players lasting into the 3rd Quarter.

This makes since considering the hard decisions that have to be made at RB, CB, WR and starting LB positions. A dress rehearsal without your star QB does not make muich sense. Maybe we will see a 1st quarter test with the starters against INDY.

There are a few things that I am still ok with considering what appeared to be a pretty poorly played game.

The o-line is getting bashed pretty hard by some here, but when considering the o-line substitutions already mentioned and the fact the RB's are having trouble picking up the blitz, I think it's a little to difficult at this point to place all the blame on the o-line. When looking at a blitz, the o-linemen are only going to be able to pick up their guy. If they send more and our RB's fail to pick up, who's fault is it ??

I'm not sure having Carson back there is going to make much difference in that aspect though. We've seen all to many times what has happened in the past when Carson hasn't been given time to let the play develop and if the RB's can't figure out a way to pick those guys up, I expect Carson to have the same struggles.

Holding penalties have been bad, but I mentioned in another thread where the referees are focusing on the offenive holding calls this year and I think this is an example of how this is going to be getting attention this season. I look for those calls to continue and be a problem for a while, but not only for the Bengals, but other teams as well.

Bobbie Williams unquestionably had his worst game as a Bengal. Let's hope this was just an off game, as opposed to a sign that Father Time is finally starting to catch up with him.

I thought AC looked less physical than the other two games, but I think some of the blitz reads gave him more trouble.

Cook was the most disappointing for me, but his comments after the game admitting that the huge DTs for the Rams gave him some trouble was even more disturbing.

Livings had some shaky moments, but finished OK, as did Whit.

My prediction is that Dre will be signed before Wednesday, and he will see some snaps in the game this week, before we see him in the lineup for good by Week 3.

I like what I see in the backups, though. Roland and Mathis, in particular, should see some more snaps.

• 1 month later...