WTF-Ben Utecht is down

Kazkal

The question is whether the Bengals (Mikey) value character. They don't.

Close enough. I'd say they value charcter, but the lack of it isn't enough to eliminate seemingly ANYONE from consideration under at least two types of circumstances. First, the player is talented enough to make the Bengals do what they want to do from the start...which is look the other way. (Vick, Henry, etc.)Second, does the player in question play the same position as one that has recently suffered a rash of injuries.(Too many to list.)

After three years of getting blasted by the media about character issues Mikey still signs people with checkered backgrounds so he obviously doesn't care what people think about him or the organization as a whole.

Yup. And that's why the it's ridiculous for some to claim these types of signings are proof of lazy background checking by the Bengals. They quite obviously know what they're getting.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not sign a guy like Bubba Franks who you could get for vet minium possibly, have him come in to help out this team. They dont have a great blocking TE and i think Franks would have helped in that area plus wouldnt have all the baggage this other TE have. With Utecht possibly gone for the year i dont think it would have hurt them to sign a guy like that.

Why not sign a guy like Bubba Franks who you could get for vet minium possibly, have him come in to help out this team. They dont have a great blocking TE and i think Franks would have helped in that area plus wouldnt have all the baggage this other TE have. With Utecht possibly gone for the year i dont think it would have hurt them to sign a guy like that.

Even if they did, who is going to play against the Pats? Franks wouldn't be ready and if they threw him in the most likely result is another injured TE.

The Bengals signed Kolo for the express purpose of being a preseason punching bag while the other TEs heal up. His chances of making the final roster are roughly 0.0%. I believe they will sign a better TE, but probably have their eye on some guys they think will be cut loose by other teams.

Yup. And that's why the it's ridiculous for some to claim these types of signings are proof of lazy background checking by the Bengals. They quite obviously know what they're getting.

I'd agree if this were a higher-profile signing. But given we're talking about camp fodder, I doubt it. You think the organization we saw on Hard Knocks is doing a background check on camp fodder? No way. As TJ pointed out, there are a bunch of scrubs available, and I doubt they've put the scouting work in to differentiating this guy from the next TE. Considering we have one full-time scout, I'll guarantee it.

I'm sticking with my earlier prediction - they grabbed an available TE, and it just so turns out he likes playing with his junk.

I will agree with membengal on one thing - on the dirtbag spectrum, I wouldn't worry about this one much.

You show me a guy who doesn't like playing with his junk, and I'll show you the guy I don't trust.

Very well then.

So trust me when I once again disagree with DC by saying they almost certainly knew what our newest retrobate had been accused of, and further determined it didn't matter.

Now ask yourself, gentle reader, which is worse?

Not knowing, or not caring?

So trust me when I once again disagree with DC by saying they almost certainly knew what our newest retrobate had been accused of,

Just wondering, you have any intel on this one? I can still easily see it happening, but sadly we'll never find out for sure.

Now ask yourself, gentle reader, which is worse? Not knowing, or not caring?

In my book, not knowing. Because, as a wise man said, you can't fix stupid.

Just wondering, you have any intel on this one? I can still easily see it happening, but sadly we'll never find out for sure.

Nope, just a gut feeling based upon how painfully easy it is to find out the very sort of information you claim the Bengals are too lazy to search for.

I'm betting they searched, found the information, weighed the pluses versus the minuses, and in the end ignored the information about poor character due to their need for a new player to fill an open position.

Bottom Line: It almost seems quaint to think they're simply being lazy.

Nope, just a gut feeling based upon how painfully easy it is to find out the very sort of information you claim the Bengals are too lazy to search for.

I'm betting they searched, found the information, weighed the pluses versus the minuses, and in the end ignored the information about poor character due to their need for a new player to fill an open position.

See, this just means I'm more cynical than you. I fully realize just how easy it is to find that information. And yes, I think that's the type of organization we're talking about. I always say, you'll never go broke betting on stupid. Consider lotteries, extended warranties...

Looked at another way - if they wouldn't care about what they found anyway, why bother searching? Presumably anyone who committed a sufficiently heinous crime that not even the *Bengals* would sign him is going to actually be in jail.

Well, except for OJ, but I hear his 40 sucks these days.

In any event, I can't wait for the next episode of 'Knocks so there's something more interesting to discuss.

See, this just means I'm more cynical than you. I fully realize just how easy it is to find that information. And yes, I think that's the type of organization we're talking about. I always say, you'll never go broke betting on stupid. Consider lotteries, extended warranties...

Looked at another way - if they wouldn't care about what they found anyway, why bother searching? Presumably anyone who committed a sufficiently heinous crime that not even the *Bengals* would sign him is going to actually be in jail.

Well, except for OJ, but I hear his 40 sucks these days.

In any event, I can't wait for the next episode of 'Knocks so there's something more interesting to discuss.

Actually, I think OJ *is* in jail -- so you can probably stand on your previous statement. ;)