Bengals Chat 2009-07-21: Marvin Lewis

TJJackson

from: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090721/SPT02/307210075/

I did not clean this one up like the other, sorry. I guess Hair will accuse me of pinching off another steaming one on this board, but hey, at least it's a big one.

No info on Bernard Scott (cue Whitney Houston) sadly

Enjoy

or don't. No matter. It's the offseason, content is hard to come by. Call Greg, he'll help you sue me.

-----begin transcript-------------------

[Comment From SeanWhitford ]

Looking forward for this seasin to start...WHO DEY!

12:00

[Comment From Charlie ]

GO BENGALS!!!

12:01

Cincinnati.com:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is here to take your questions

12:01

[Comment From fight back ]

What are your expectations this year coach for the wide received now that TJ is gone?

12:03

Marvin Lewis: We're really excited about the receiving corps. The addtion of Laveraues Coles, the maturity of Andre Caldwell and Jerome SImpson and the first opportunity for Chris Henry to spend the offseason and training camp as well as the addition of a healthy number 85

12:04

[Comment From Blake Littleton ]

How big of an offensive weapon do you see Cedric Benson being this season?

Marvin Lewis: Cedric proved that he could be a very capable offensive runner. He did a fine job receiving the football for us and we're excited he has had an entire offseason and training camp and that he will continue to get better in the things that we do.

[Comment From Pete ]

How concerned are you with this revamped OL?

12:05

Marvin Lewis: We're really excited about the additions and retooling of the offensive line. We feel that Kyle Cook will upgrade us at center and the addtion of Andre Smith and the moving of Andrew Whitworth out to left tackle will solidify our offensive line.

12:06

[Comment From Josh ]

How do you see the LB situation panning out?

12:06

Marvin Lewis: We should have good battles for both playing time and who will start at our linebacker positions. The depth will provide some flexibility to play different players by situation.

12:07

[Comment From Pat ]

What needs to happen to the Bengals for them to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore this season? Speciifically, which aspect of the team needs to take it up another level?

12:08

Marvin Lewis: Until last season we had dominated the series against the Ravens. In order to beat both football teams we have to be able to move the ball and score points offensively without turnovers. Defensively, we must not allow explosive plays and win the third-down battles.

12:09

[Comment From dl ]

Do you think Carson will return to his pro bowl status

12:10

Marvin Lewis: We expect Carson to return to the level of play that he has demonstrated in the past. He's had a great offseason and his forearm has not been an issue.

12:10

[Comment From whos dey ]

What are your feelings about the defence this season?

12:11

Marvin Lewis: The defense was able to lay a good, strong foundation last season. The challenge in '09 will be to rework that foundation and with the new players continue to build and fit together. We need to take steps in turning the ball over and winning on third down to improve even further.

12:12

[Comment From denis ]

If Smith is late to camp, will Collins or Roland play right tackle?

12:13

Marvin Lewis: We are hopeful that Andre will be signed at the opening of training camp. Anthony Collins will take over the tackle position if Andre is not there.

12:13

[Comment From Lorie ]

How do you feel about having all draft picks signed and ready for the start of training camp?

12:14

Marvin Lewis: Again we are anticipating that we get all players under contract by next Thursday. The trend right now is that there are a number of first-, second- and third-round picks unsigned and our people will continue to work with this until they are all completed.

12:15

[Comment From john ]

the cincinnati bengals has been perceived as one of the worst organizations in the nfl along with detroit ans oakland. what can you do to change the brand impression of nfl fans, other than win?

12:17

Marvin Lewis: There are a number of franchises in the NFL who have never participated in a Super Bowl. The Bengals have been there twice but over the last 15 or so years there's no doubt the team has not returned to that form. In order to change perception you must win games on the field and produce in the playoffs.

[Comment From Aaron ]

Who wins in golf. You or Coach Bratkowski?

Marvin Lewis: Coach Bratkowski

12:18

[Comment From Josh ]

As long as Chris Henry stays healthy should we expect to see a lot out of him?

12:19

Marvin Lewis: Chris has worked hard through the offseason and will be competing for playing time versus the other receivers. He has special abilities to go get the ball when it's in the air.

[Comment From Sean ]

How do you see Michael Johnson figuring into the defense this season?

Marvin Lewis: Michael has been our biggest pleasant surprise with his ability to learn and the versatility he has shown. I'm anxious for him to display these traits during the preseason.

12:20

[Comment From Josh ]

What are your feelings on HBO Hard Knocks?

12:21

Marvin Lewis: Each year NFL Films produces many shows covering different NFL teams. This is a great opportunity to give Cincinnati Bengal fans somewhat of a behind-the-scenes look at their favorite team.

12:22

[Comment From Eric Thompson ]

How do you feel Kevin Huber will do?

12:22

Marvin Lewis: We are excited about Kevin's future. He has displayed the leg strength and personality to be successful week in and week out.

12:23

[Comment From Michael ]

After Andre Smith trouble's during the combine, has he improved his conditioning to become a good tackle like he was with Alabama?

12:25

Marvin Lewis: Andre left the combine after his interviews, the same as many perceived top 10 players are advised by agents and to work out on their campus. His conditioning has always been at an acceptable level. He continues to work and train to prepare for the grueling NFL season.

12:25

[Comment From JC ]

What are your expectations for Roy Williams? Do you see him as a Pro Bowl-caliber player still?

12:26

Marvin Lewis: Roy is in a real battle to become a starting safety. To my eyes, this offseason he has demonstrated the abilities that he displayed as a Pro Bowl player. He has a knack and a feel and we are excited for him to do these things during the preseason.

12:27

[Comment From whos dey ]

Can the fans play a part in the home games,(the season has not been sold out this year?)

12:28

Marvin Lewis: Our fans have been very passionate and strong. In the '09 season a loud, vocal crowd will be critical as we open up vs. the Broncos and in two weeks against the World Champion Steelers.

12:28

Cincinnati.com: We've got time for one or two more questions

12:29

[Comment From YEEP ]

What does L. Coles bring to the table this season?

Marvin Lewis: LC has top-end speed and uses body position to play vertical and very strong hands at the catch.

[Comment From Derek ]

Will carson ever be taught how to do an effective play action fake to the RB?

12:30

Marvin Lewis: There are many types of play action passes. Based on protection, footwork and the action dictates how much ball action our quarterbacks are able to use on specific plays.

12:31

[Comment From Sean Krebs ]

What will be the biggest adjustments for Mualuga and A. Smith in learning new positions in the NFL and why not keep them at their college positions?

12:31

Marvin Lewis: I think Rey will have the biggest adjustment of playing linebacker in the NFL as opposed to Andre as an offensive lineman.

12:32

Cincinnati.com: Thanks everyone for your question. Be sure to visit Joe Reedy's Bengals blog for the latest Bengals news and analysis.

12:33

Marvin Lewis: We're really excited about the additions and retooling of the offensive line. We feel that Kyle Cook will upgrade us at center and the addtion of Andre Smith and the moving of Andrew Whitworth out to left tackle will solidify our offensive line.

So, barring injury, Opening Day O-line looks like:

Whit-Koos-Cook-Bobbie-Collins

...with Crummey, Dow, or Mathias if one of the Guards goes down.

Marvin could be a corporate PR guy. He is that good a saying what he wants to say and nothing else.

Isn't that what he is? Didn't Mikey make him the face of the franchise the minute Marvin inked his contract?

Nate Livings?

Nate Livings?

Luigs?

Nate Livings?

Luigs?

Ya I just can't see kooistra starting but I guess that's Chick Little(Groundhog) for ya...

More of the same, but with a Hobnobian spin. Lewis does the corporate speak, of course, but he also takes a few swipes at the departed Larson, Housh, and Ghiacuic by stating flatly the positions they played were "upgraded".

'A re-made team'

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Jul 22, 2009

a a

With the Bengals looking to open his seventh training camp next week, head coach Marvin Lewis is looking at the culmination of his second re-building job since he arrived from Washington in 2003,

In Wednesday's conversation with Bengals.com, Lewis called it "a re-made team," with upgrades at nearly every position and emphasized, "We know who our leaders are."

He focused on an offense that finished last in the NFL season without injured quarterback Carson Palmer for 12 games.

He compared the state of the offensive line to what he inherited in '03 with a battle at center with Rich Braham and Mike Goff, an unknown left tackle in young Levi Jones, and an established right tackle in Willie Anderson.

"From a year ago we really upgraded in that aspect. Being able to put the entire group out there to practice each and every day and to play together," Lewis said of the line anchored by inexperienced center Kyle Cook and book-ended by veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and rookie right tackle Andre Smith. "It's much like we were in '03.

"We've got two good (tackles) right now," he said. "We know what we have in Whitworth like we knew what we had with Willie. And we were unsettled at center until Braham beat out Goff."

Despite the loss of one of the NFL's most prolific receivers over the last two seasons in T.J. Houshmandzadeh via free agency, Lewis says they're better at that position starting with a healthy Chad Ochocinco.

"We've obviously upgraded at receiver just with the addition of Laveranues (Coles) and the experience of the other guys," said Lewis of last year's top draft picks Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson. "And the return of No. 85 and Chris (Henry) with an offseason and a training camp under his belt."

Lewis did say that Simpson "has a long way to go," if he wants to make sure he dresses on Sundays but he also said he'll get plenty of shots in training camp.

Lewis also thinks they're better at running back than they've been lately. "We don't have Corey Dillon, but I think we've got a Cedric Benson," said Lewis, who sees Benson as a very good back that has top five talent and has some solid complementary candidates around him.

He said the front seven has also been upgraded with a mix of draft picks, the free-agent signing of tackle Tank Johnson and the return to health of defensive ends Robert Geathers and Antwan Odom while calling safety "maybe the most competitive spot on the team."

After watching former University of Cincinnati punter and the club's fifth-round pick Kevin Huber work this spring, Lewis said, "We've upgraded in that area quite a bit."

Lewis could only smile about Ochocinco's assault on Twitter. Obviously, he said, he's not allowed to Tweet during games or at halftime.

"He's having a good time having fun," Lewis said. "He knows the nature of the business, the letter of the law. He gets everybody's attention every time he says something and people just keep playing into it. As long as people keep following every word he says, he'll continue to keep giving them stuff to hang on to."

For Lewis' entire conversation with Bengals.com, check back later Wednesday.

Another bit about Simpson not being ready :| , ohwell we have 5 other WR's that I'll be more happy with to give him one year pass on the roster....

That is what stood out to me that he is still not ready, and may not see time this year unless someone gets injured...They maybe drafting another WR next year, but we already had this conversation in an earlier thread...

Nate Livings?

Luigs?

Ya I just can't see kooistra starting but I guess that's Chick Little(Groundhog) for ya...

Hey I didn't make the depth chart. Save your venom for another couple of weeks a direct it where it belongs.

Nate Livings?

Luigs?

Hey I didn't make the depth chart. Save your venom for another couple of weeks a direct it where it belongs.

You made up the one you posted. Marvin has already unveiled his starting o-line as of now is:

Whit, Livings, Cook, Williams, Smith.

But you're the smartest guy here, so I bet you already knew that, too.

You made up the one you posted. Marvin has already unveiled his starting o-line as of now is:

Who?

Try again.

You know, our first round draft pick that IS IN FACT penciled in as the starter at the RT position. While I see where you are going in the FACT that Smith has not signed a contract, it doesn't take away that is the line that will start come week one once his contract is in place. Marvin's words not ours.

Who?

Try again.

No need to try again. I got it right the first time. If you going to come in here uninformed, then don't be a douche when you're corrected.