We've signed Luigs

gregstephens

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/21/bengals-sign-luigs/

Here you go Greg... Simeon Castille was also released.

Bengals sign Luigs

Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2009 12:04 PM ET

The Cincinnati Bengals are getting closer and closer to taking their full complement of 2009 draft picks to training camp, for the team's first-ever run on Hard Knocks from HBO and NFL Films. (I had to mention NFL Films -- I'm wearing the T-shirt they game me.)

The Bengals announced today that center Jonathan Luigs, a fourth-round pick, has agreed to terms.

Terms were not disclosed; all other Bengals picks have signed four-year contracts.

The team now has only four remaining rookies to sign.

To make room for Luigs on the roster, the Bengals released cornerback Simeon Castille.

And the official take on it:

Luigs signs; Castille cut

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 52 minutes ago

On paper the Bengals are now down to their limit of 80 players for training camp in the wake of Tuesday's release of cornerback Simeon Castille. Not yet counting officially on the roster are the four top draft picks that remain unsigned after fourth-rounder Jonathan Luigs came to terms Tuesday.

Castille came out of Alabama to become the only college free agent rookie to open last season on the Bengals' 53-man roster and got some quality snaps in the first four games of the season because of injuries. He only played three games the rest of the way and finished with nine tackles and a pass defensed.

The move is a slight surprise given that cornerback depth is seen as one of the more pressing problems on defense. Sixth-rounder Morgan Trent is going to be in the mix when veterans David Jones and Geoff Pope resume the battle for the third corner spot behind starters Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall. Also on the corner depth chart is free agent rookie Rico Murray.

Luigs, a former Rimington Trophy winner out of Arkansas, is expected to stick with the club as a backup center and guard. The remaining unsigned picks are both third-rounders, defensive end Michael Johnson and tight end Chase Coffman, as well as first-rounder Andre Smith and second-rounder Rey Maualuga. Smith is penciled in as the starting right tackle and Maualuga is expected to battle with incumbent Rashad Jeanty for the SAM linebacker job.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/luigs-signs-castille-cut/7eb5d307-b288-427c-85d0-cb9299a2150c

The move is a slight surprise given that cornerback depth is seen as one of the more pressing problems on defense. Sixth-rounder Morgan Trent is going to be in the mix when veterans David Jones and Geoff Pope resume the battle for the third corner spot behind starters Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall. Also on the corner depth chart is free agent rookie Rico Murray.

Damn, I still get pissed off everytime I read Morgan Trent's name.

What's up with that? :lmao:

Damn, I still get pissed off everytime I read Morgan Trent's name.

What's up with that? :lmao:

To start, I can't take credit for that quote there, but you probably get pissed because everytime someone speaks of him it it usually followed by he gets burnt. I really don't know that much about him, but I havent' heard much of anyone say good things about him.

• Like 1

The pace of the signings is better than in recent years.

Was it last year where they were to the last minute on getting almost all of their picks inked? Seems like it.

Nice to have Luigs in on time not just for the C preparation stuff, but also because I think they want him to get comfortable at G as well.

This is actually pretty big, I think. He needs to be in camp more than Andre IMO because of the calls he needs to learn. I know, he's not the penciled in starter, but the learning curve is pretty steep at C.

Well Center is harder to learn he could be riding bench all year if cook plays well...vs Andre who is penciled in as starter but at the same time atleast we have a solid backup in collins.

To start, I can't take credit for that quote there, but you probably get pissed because everytime someone speaks of him it it usually followed by he gets burnt. I really don't know that much about him, but I havent' heard much of anyone say good things about him.

Coyle has overall done a good job with our DB's so I'm not gonna worry about 6th round CB who is meant as a project ..

How do you feel about the military?

That's bad form, B3. Until further notice you're not supposed to ask and he's not supposed to tell.

Well, I could've asked him what the concluding lyric was to "Hello Dolly, it's so nice to ...." -- or what collar goes best with a sweater vest -- that might've worked too.

Seriously though, while I've seen WTB's "contributions" for a while, I've never seen him go so overboard as when he got b**ch slapped by Army recently on the NFL board. Can you blame me for wanting to incite a little more of the same?

Yeah, it's a slow day for me.

How do you feel about the military?

That's bad form, B3. Until further notice you're not supposed to ask and he's not supposed to tell.

Well, I could've asked him what the concluding lyric was to "Hello Dolly, it's so nice to ...." -- or what collar goes best with a sweater vest -- that might've worked too.

"...have you back where you belong," and a button-down oxford collar, unless you are going for a casual look, in which case a colored, yet matching, t-shirt or mock turtleneck would be appropriate.

What's your point?

:angry: