Draft pick signings

BlainThePain

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/agen...40-d3db21e0bea3

The Bengals put their first of 11 draft picks in the fold Tuesday when sixth-rounder Morgan Trent agreed to undisclosed terms, according to agent Doug Hendrickson. The deal could be signed as soon as Wednesday after the sides review the paperwork.

Trent, a cornerback from Michigan, is reportedly making a rapid recovery from a stress fracture in his foot suffered on the second day of the rookie minicamp. He's expected to be ready for full activity when training camp opens July 30.

Earlier than the norm for this to be happening. What's up with that ??

His recovery from injury I would say. He and his agent probably realize their hand isn't that strong to start playing coy. Eager is the way to go here.

His recovery from injury I would say. He and his agent probably realize their hand isn't that strong to start playing coy. Eager is the way to go here.

Maybe that and the fact that alot of later round guys have alrdy signed.... :P 1 down what 10 left to go?

Maybe that and the fact that alot of later round guys have alrdy signed.... :P 1 down what 10 left to go?

I'm leaning more toward the fact that our third cornerback position is still unresolved and we need all the competition we can get without any distractions at that position. Now that his contract has been resolved he can come in and compete without worrying about anything. I know how all of us have been pointing out since the season ended that David Jones is not the answer to that third cornerback position, I guess the coaching staff has finally figured that out too. Not only that but that position is like Nancy Pelosi, if either one of the starters go down he was being looked at to step in to fill that void and that's a nightmare to think that we would have to see that again.

Seeing the response about what our nickel cornerbacks have looked like at this point in time, who knows, but they are talking about the possibility of Crocker...

From Zimmer on the official site:

"We've got to find somebody there," Zimmer said. "It could be our downfall on third down and substitution stuff if we don't get the right guys in there. Crocker could do it."

Seeing the response about what our nickel cornerbacks have looked like at this point in time, who knows, but they are talking about the possibility of Crocker...

"We've got to find somebody there," Zimmer said. "It could be our downfall on third down and substitution stuff if we don't get the right guys in there. Crocker could do it."

Yup, that makes a fair amount of sense given the depth and talent at S vs. CB. Instead of a nickel cover corner, go with a nickel safety - I realize Crocker has experience at CB, but he doesn't hit like one. I like it.

Personally, I'd look forward to seeing Crocker in bump-and-run.

Off topic: using Crocker at CB made me realize that they really have a lot of flexibility of schemes, because they have 'tweeners for everything. They have a CB/S hybrid in Crocker, a S/LB hybrid (basically) in Roy WIlliams, and a LB/DE hybrid in M. Johnson. So many ways you can go there. I could see using nickel a lot more with Williams, Crocker, and Ndukwe all on the field since you don't give up much against the run.

In fact, I know this is crazy, but I want to see this formation

line: Odom, Peko or Sims, Tank

DE/LB tweener: Johnson (lined up outside Tank or Rey)

LB: Maualuga, Rivers

LB/S tweener: Roy Williams (I know he doesn't get reps at LB, but that's what an in-the-box S basically is)

S: Ndukwe

S/CB tweener: Crocker

CB: Hall, Joseph

You could run pretty much anything with those personnel. Offenses would *never* know what's coming. And that group could definitely lay the wood. Weaknesses are it excludes Geathers and Dhani, of course, but it would definitely be fun to see occasionally.

That's a fall back option IMHO. They've already shown some interest in adding another body, and I think they'll continue to look for another pure CB from the ranks of the very latest cuts, rookie or veteran.

I agree with looking for someone else, but think it's a smart thing to do in seeing what you can do to tinker with the roster you have in order to get certain players on the field at the same time. I love the fact Zimmer is willing to look at the big picture and cover down in the case of injuries as well.

Call me crazy, but Trent could be a player on the rise. He's still a raw player at CB, after coverting from WR, so he has some upside and Michigan uses a lot of Press and weak Cover 2, so that should translate well to what the Bengals do. He played well in the East-West game with an INT and was reported to be one of the better CBs during the Senior Bowl practices after arriving in Mobile too late to play in the game. He was having a good mini-camp before he was injured, too.

I still believe that we'll go heavy at S and keep only 4 CBs, especially if Crocker/Lynch can show anything playing CB in the pinch. I'd take Trent over both Castille (Keiwan Ratliff part 2) or Pope, although whoever the 4th CB is will probably be the last man on the roster, which would be very similar to last season.

I'll be surprised if Trent lasts very long in the league, he's just not very good.

I've seen the guy play several times, and think that he definately has talent and size. For you to say he's just not that good, either you havent really seen him play, or expecting a friggin shut-down pro-bowl corner in the 6th round. Be realistic, I personally think his talent is better than that of a 6th round pick, and he could definately be a 4th corner, and potentially develop into a starter.

Yup, great size and speed combo....so the guy looks the part.....at least until you begin looking more closely. But in regards to technique I'm betting the Bengals are looking at a total tear down and rebuild project and won't count on Trent for nickle or dime duty this season unless the injury floodgates open again.

Yup, great size and speed combo....so the guy looks the part.....at least until you begin looking more closely. But in regards to technique I'm betting the Bengals are looking at a total tear down and rebuild project and won't count on Trent for nickle or dime duty this season unless the injury floodgates open again.

Yeah - same deal with Jerome Simpson, more or less - has the size and speed as well, but he can't get on the field because the brain has not caught up with the rest of the body

Not sayin Trent = Simpson, just acknowleging that both parts have to be up to speed (pun intended)

Sorry, but I'm not starting a new thread for this.

The Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to contract terms with seventh-round pick WR Freddie Brown, Scout.com has confirmed. According to a league source, it's a four-year deal worth $1.189 million which includes a signing bonus of a little more than $37,500. Last year's 43rd pick in the seventh-round, Mackenzy Bernadeau (Carolina Panthers), received a signing bonus of $36,411 on a four-year deal.

The former University of Utah receiver figures to have a chance to push for the team's fifth or sixth receiver job this season, but a more likely destination is on their practice squad.

Sorry, but I'm not starting a new thread for this.

The Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to contract terms with seventh-round pick WR Freddie Brown, Scout.com has confirmed. According to a league source, it's a four-year deal worth $1.189 million which includes a signing bonus of a little more than $37,500. Last year's 43rd pick in the seventh-round, Mackenzy Bernadeau (Carolina Panthers), received a signing bonus of $36,411 on a four-year deal.

The former University of Utah receiver figures to have a chance to push for the team's fifth or sixth receiver job this season, but a more likely destination is on their practice squad.

Good call on the post. I'll edit the thread title to reflect accordingly. Thanks, Hair.

Not sayin Trent = Simpson, just acknowleging that both parts have to be up to speed (pun intended)

A better comparison might be Trent and Mario Urrutia or Freddy Brown. A growing list of late round draft picks burned to add raw athletic prospects who aren't actually expected to make the final roster, but rather....the practice squad.

---Jerome Simpson really and truly belongs on the practice squad----

At the same time do you risk him being plucked by another team,Ya he's a developmental pick but we have Coles,Johnson,henry,Caldwell then 5 will be a Punt returner like cosby so I really don't mind using 6th spot to keep simpson around to develop him.

Jaguars rookie OT Eugene Monroe's agent, Sonny Shah, said he doesn't want a holdout situation.

It's still early in the process as the two players picked right in front of Monroe, who went No. 8 overall, aren't signed yet either. But last year the Jaguars' top pick, Derrick Harvey, held out for 33 days and missed all of training camp. Monroe is slated to battle with Tra Thomas for the starting left tackle job.

Wonder how much the jaguars our gonna impact our ability to sign smith :|

Well, I guess it also depends on the fact that Monroe isn't being handed the starting position and A. Smith is already pencilled in.

I really don't know what to think at this point, but want to see as many high picks signed as soon as possible to assist in signing Smith.

Well, I guess it also depends on the fact that Monroe isn't being handed the starting position and A. Smith is already pencilled in.

I really don't know what to think at this point, but want to see as many high picks signed as soon as possible to assist in signing Smith.

I never understood why a team would put an unsigned Rookie 1st on the depth chart. It seems to me that the club is just giving dude's Agent some bullets.