CBS sportsline Bengals story

Dadraftnick

After getting only 17 sacks last year, it should be no surprise during Bengals OTAs that improving the pass rush has been a main point of emphasis.

During the first two weeks, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and defensive line coach Jay Hayes have been working on technique and consistency.

"When I went back and watched all our stuff from last year, guys would rush and get punched right in the chest. That's how you get stopped," Zimmer said. "If you don't allow them to put their hands on their chest, then you have a better chance to rush."

Improving the pass rush begins with the defensive line, which struggled last year due to injuries and learning Zimmer's system for the first time. And the player who needs to have an improved season is Antwan Odom.

After signing a five-year, $29.5 million contract last season, Odom struggled in his first season with the Bengals. Things did not get off to a good start when he injured his ankle 15 minutes into the first training camp practice and missed the entire preseason.

He returned in time for the start of the regular season, but then suffered a shoulder injury at midseason and missed four games. He finished with 41 tackles in 12 games and just three sacks after having eight in 2007 with the Titans.

Odom has used the injuries and last season's struggles as motivation during the offseason. He has gained 30 pounds and worked more in the weight room. Even though he has gained weight, it hasn't slowed him down.

"I weighed 295 in college, so it's not that big a step for me," said Odom, who currently weighs 288. "I'm glad I was able to get some weight on which should allow me to handle things a little bit better. Last season was frustrating, but I pride myself on motivation and it motivated me to get stronger. Most of the bad stuff that happened last year won't happen this year."

With another year under Zimmer's system and with the additions of defensive end Tank Johnson, safety Roy Williams and the drafting of linebacker Rey Maualuga, Odom thinks the Bengals defense has the potential to be a top 10 unit this season.

"We have the potential to be top-five or top-10 unit. We've got a lot of guys buying into the system," Odom said. "We have guys who are buying into it and know what we have to get done."

The 2008 season was one of those years that the fans and players of the Cincinnati Bengals would like to pretend never happened. Everything that could have gone wrong seemed to go wrong for Carson Palmer and company.

Despite finishing the 2008 season on a three-game winning streak, the Bengals started 1-8-1, causing them to finish with a disappointing 4-11-1 record.

Believe it or not, the city of Cincinnati has high expectations entering the 2009 regular season.They may play in a tough AFC North division, but there is no reason to not believe that this team has what it takes to make the playoffs in January.

Of course, nothing in life comes easy. There are five important factors that will determine whether or not the Bengals will find themselves playing in January or watching from their living room.

1. The Return of a Healthy Carson Palmer

Last season, Bengals starting quarterback Carson Palmer was limited to four games due to an elbow injury. In the four games he played in, he threw for 731 yards, 3 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

It's obvious Palmer's absence was one of the reasons behind the Bengals' disappointing campaign last season. In three seasons prior to 2008, Palmer led the team to a 26-22 record, throwing for 12,002 yards and 86 touchdowns. In 2005, he led the organization to their first playoff appearance in 15 years after claiming the AFC North title.

If Palmer remains healthy, he should help the Bengals improve their record from last season. One fact we learned about the team last season is that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not nearly the same type of quarterback as Palmer is. It's difficult to replace a former Heisman Trophy winner with a former Ivy League standout.

Once again, the Bengals appear to have one of the best offenses in the league on paper. The team may have gone their separate ways with T.J. Houshmandzadeh (who signed with the Seattle Seahawks in the offseason), but they found his replacement by signing Laveranues Coles.

Not to mention many analysts are predicting a break-out season from Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry.

We learned last season how heavily this team relies on Palmer. Last season, the team finished last in the league as far as total offense per game (12.2 points). The previous year, they finished 10th in the league with Palmer at quarterback by averaging 23.8 points per game.

If Palmer can stay healthy, this team has the potential to make a strong case for a playoff position by having one of the best offenses in the league. With all of the weapons they have on offense, it's hard to see them struggle like they did last season.

2. Second-Half and Fourth Quarter Performance

There is a popular phrase in sports about how a game is never over until it's over. Each game in the NFL lasts 60 minutes, meaning no team is determined a winner until that 60 minutes comes to a close (unless overtime is needed of course).

Looking back at the Bengals 2008 season, they appeared to be one of the worst second-half performers in the league. Take a look at the facts:

In 16 games last season, the Bengals scored 58 total points in the second half of games.

In six games, the Bengals were scoreless the entire second half.

In 10 games, the Bengals failed to score a single point in the fourth quarter.

The Bengals may have finished 4-11-1 on the year. However, there were numerous occasions where the Bengals' second-half performance could have won them the game.

In Week Three against the New York Giants, Carson Palmer threw a late touchdown to T.J. Houshmandzadeh with 4:39 left in the game to give the Bengals a 20-16 lead.

Unfortunately, the Bengals appeared to be wearing down on defense as Eli Manning led the Giants down the field before tossing a four-yard strike to tight end Kevin Boss in the end zone with 1:50 left to give the Giants a 23-20 lead.

All of a sudden, a sure upset seemed to turn into another disappointment for the Bengals squad. Even though the Bengals managed to tie the game as time expired after a questionable last couple of play calls by Marvin Lewis, they ended up losing in overtime after John Carney kicked a 22-yard field goal to win the game.

This was only one of many disappointing second-half performances for the Bengals in 2008. In a Week Four game against the Cleveland Browns, the Bengals were winning the entire game before giving up the lead in the fourth quarter and losing 20-12.

They even had a chance to defeat the Eagles during Week 11 when Shayne Graham failed to make a field goal as time expired in overtime, resulting in a 13-13 tie.

The Bengals have what it takes to be a playoff contender in 2009. However, they will have no shot at making the playoffs if they fail to perform well in the second-half and fourth quarter of each game. They need to play strong for an entire 60 minutes if they plan on succeeding.

3. Chad Ochocinco and the Rest of the Wide Receivers

It's not surprise that Chad Ochocinco continues to make headlines on a weekly basis. Last week, Carson Palmer took a shot at Ochocinco during an interview on "Movin' The Chains" for missing out on voluntary workouts for the Bengals.

Palmer discussed how he was excited about the group of receivers competing for the spots that were once occupied by Houshmandzadeh and Ochocinco.

Ochocinco may still be on the Bengals' roster, but there is no telling what will happen with him in the future. For the last two seasons, his request to be traded has been declined over and over again by owner Mike Brown.

According to Palmer, he hasn't spoken to Ochocinco lately not has any other of the Bengals players. Whether or not he is going to be a factor for the Bengals this season is still up in the air, but statistics show he could be a major factor.

For the first time since his rookie season, Ochocinco failed to record 1,000 receiving yards in a season. In the four seasons prior to 2008, he had over 5,000 yards receiving and 31 touchdowns. Last season, he had 53 receptions for 540 yards and four touchdowns.

Whether or not Ochocinco and Palmer can rekindle their chemistry will be a debatable topic until the season starts in September. However, let's not forget about the rest of the wide receivers that can make an impact for the Bengals this season.

No player has benefited more from Ochocinco than former Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Over the last four seasons, he has a total of 4,084 receiving yards and 32 touchdowns. Some say he was a No. 1 wide receiver playing at the No. 2 spot and succeeded since defenders focused mainly on Ochocinco.

After Houshmandzadeh signed with the Seattle Seahawks, they signed free agent wide receiver Laveranues Coles from the New York Jets. His numbers may not match Houshmanzadah's, but he has the potential to benefit off of defenders focusing most of their time on Ochocinco.

Another player that has the potential for a break-out season is fifth-year wide receiver Chris Henry. According to Palmer's interview on "Movin' The Chains", Henry has had an amazing offseason and is looking for a fresh start after his incidents with the law over the last couple of years.

As mentioned before, the Bengals have one of the best offenses in the NFL on paper. Not only do they have a former Pro Bowl quarterback in Palmer, but they have two wide receivers with experience as a No. 1 go-to guy. If everything goes according to plan in Cincinnati, the Bengals may see Palmer having another career year.

4. Offseason Acquisitions

Over the last couple of years, the Bengals have been known to be quiet in the offseason. This year, they took advantage of the players available to them through free agency and the draft that should have an impact on making improvements from last season.

With the No. 6 pick in the 2009 Draft, the Bengals selected offensive tackle Andre Smith from Alabama to help protect Carson Palmer. Smith should have an immediate impact improving an offensive line that ranked third in the NFL last season allowing opposing defenses to record 51 sacks.

The addition of Smith should allow not only more time for Palmer, but for running back Cedric Benson to find more holes.

The Bengals also lucked out in the draft when University of Southern California linebacker Rey Maualuga fell into their hands at No. 38. The former Trojan recorded 194 tackles in three seasons while earning All-American and All-Pac 10 honors each season.

With him in the starting lineup playing alongside second-year linebacker Keith Rivers, the Bengals defense could cause headaches for opposing teams.

Laveranues Coles was one of the biggest headlines as far as the Bengals' free agent signings this offseason. However, it was the reuniting of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and former Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams that got the city of Cincinnati excited.

The ex-Cowboy Williams signed a one-year deal with the Bengals after he was released back in March. Williams was a perfect fit for Zimmer's 4-3 defense in Dallas and hopes to regain his reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the league.

Last season, the Bengals finished 12th in the league by allowing 325.5 yards per game. On top of that, they only allowed 22.8 points per game, ranking them 14th in the league.

The Bengals defense has been decent over the last couple of seasons. The offseason acquisitions should improve the defense from the 2008 season. If they can get the job done to help Palmer and the rest of the offense, this team could be making a push for a playoff spot in January.

5. Discipline, Discipline, Discipline!

Let's do a word association. What comes to mind when I say professional football team and law enforcement?

If the answer that came to mind was the Cincinnati Bengals, make sure you pickup your prize on the way out.

The Bengals have established a reputation in the NFL over the last couple of seasons. Unfortunately, the reputation is one of the ones people wish not to be known by.

There have been over a dozen Bengals players arrested this decade, including cornerback Leon Hall who was arrested at the beginning of April for drunk-driving.

In fact, the Bengals have had so many issues over the last couple of years, they recently agreed to a deal with HBO to be the featured team in the series Hard Knocks.

What's even more frustrating for Cincinnati is their lack of discipline from head coach Marvin Lewis. Entering his seventh year with the Bengals, Lewis has been criticized by the media for the lack of discipline on his players.

After the organization released Chris Henry in March 2008 because of his most recent arrest, they ended up re-signing him in August before the start of the regular season.

There are some fans around the league who like to make jokes about how no matter how much trouble a player gets in with the law, they can always sign with the Bengals. Henry did. Cedric Benson did.

However, these players may have had their run in with the law but they are trying to clean up their act. Benson played well enough towards the end of last season to be rewarded another contract for this season. Henry wouldn't be back again if Lewis and the rest of the organization didn't think he could have an impact on offense.

Still, the matter of fact is that the Bengals will never achieve their desire of a playoff birth if their guys can't stay out of trouble. When a player gets in trouble with the law, it not only affects them on an individual level but the entire team.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to stay out of trouble with the law. All the players have to do is be smart about the decisions they make so they can continue to play football.

The last thing a player wants to do is perform a stupid act that impacts how a team finishes their regular season.

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play...wYiyxiZ2nqgUCCn

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/15093873

That's one of the more accurate and unbiased articles I've seen so far this season. Good stuff. The stats on the second half offensive performance worry me. Bratowski always seems to get out coached in the second halfs when other teams adjust their schemes, etc. These stats seem to support that belief.

Looking back at the Bengals 2008 season, they appeared to be one of the worst second-half performers in the league. Take a look at the facts:

In 16 games last season, the Bengals scored 58 total points in the second half of games.

The Bengals may have finished 4-11-1 on the year. However, there were numerous occasions where the Bengals' second-half performance could have won them the game.

That's one of the more accurate and unbiased articles I've seen so far this season. Good stuff. The stats on the second half offensive performance worry me. Bratowski always seems to get out coached in the second halfs when other teams adjust their schemes, etc. These stats seem to support that belief.

I don't have a link... but I do recall reading that the Bengals were dead last in point differential in the 3rd quarter. That shows an inability to adjust at half time - and remains one of my biggest concerns about this team. No matter how much talent they retrieve, if they can't coach effectively, it will just be squandered.

Whoever wrote this is completely misinformed if thinks that Marvin Lewis is the reason Chris Henry is still on this team.

Are you sure about that? Do you know that for a fact? I've never said this but I think Marv not only welcomed him back but was also pulling for him... Marv's a private guy. I'm sure MB and Marv had a meeting, discussed it, and both came out on the same page. There was no disagreement between the two.

Whoever wrote this is completely misinformed if thinks that Marvin Lewis is the reason Chris Henry is still on this team.

Are you sure about that? Do you know that for a fact? I've never said this but I think Marv not only welcomed him back but was also pulling for him... Marv's a private guy. I'm sure MB and Marv had a meeting, discussed it, and both came out on the same page. There was no disagreement between the two.

You mean the Marvin Lewis that said the following in response to a question about re-signing Henry last offseason:

"I'm not interested," Lewis told reporters Tuesday, before the team's annual preseason luncheon. "I don't think it would be productive for our football team. You have to be a productive part to be an NFL player, and there's responsibilities to being an NFL player. It's a privilege, it's not a right. There's a lot that comes with being an NFL football player."

I doubt Ickey and Marv discussed this the other night at dinner, but I think Ick was probably playing the sure bet on this one.

You mean the Marvin Lewis that said the following in response to a question about re-signing Henry last offseason:

"I'm not interested," Lewis told reporters Tuesday, before the team's annual preseason luncheon. "I don't think it would be productive for our football team. You have to be a productive part to be an NFL player, and there's responsibilities to being an NFL player. It's a privilege, it's not a right. There's a lot that comes with being an NFL football player."

I doubt Ickey and Marv discussed this the other night at dinner, but I think Ick was probably playing the sure bet on this one.

And following that he has said meeting with MB and they both agree that, for the money, you will not find this kind of talent.

MB: I want to give him ONE last oppurtunity.

Marv: (Agrees) I want to see the kid do good as well. At some point, I have to think about the team. This last run-in was my last draw. I love the player Henry, the person makes stupid mistakes. Hopefully he has learned and can come back and contribute.. Let's give him one last shot.

Everyone's happy and there is no disagreement. No going against Marv.

And following that he has said meeting with MB and they both agree that, for the money, you will not find this kind of talent.

MB: I want to give him ONE last oppurtunity.

Marv: (Agrees) I want to see the kid do good as well. At some point, I have to think about the team. This last run-in was my last draw. I love the player Henry, the person makes stupid mistakes. Hopefully he has learned and can come back and contribute.. Let's give him one last shot.

Everyone's happy and there is no disagreement. No going against Marv.

How would this go:

MB: I want to give him ONE last opportunity/

Marv: (Disagrees) I think the kid is a trouble-maker and bad for the team. For that matter, you're a bone-head and bad for the team. No wonder this team hasn't won since your dad went to his grave.

MB: You're fired.

:huh:

I think Marv not only welcomed him back but was also pulling for him... Marv's a private guy

I think you are a complete and utter moron

Marvin - despite a general unwillingness to to talk to the press except when he is obliged to do so - was quite clear on this - that he did not want Chris Henry back

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3500922

Pull your head out of your ass, or out of Chad's, whichever.......

Here you go, agreen. I couldn't find the exact article in which Marvin stated he didn't want Henry back and disagreed with the signing, but the relevant portion of the article is in quotes here.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/marv...ac-f1e085c1cee7

Q: The relationship (Mike and Marvin's relationship) seems to have survived the Chris Henry disagreement.

A: People disagree all the time. Unfortunately, I let it be public. We disagree about a number of things all the time. Some come my way, some go his way. In this case, unfortunately, I voiced my opinion publicly, really, knowing what his opinion was, and that ultimately he had the final say-so like any owner does.

Here you go, agreen. I couldn't find the exact article in which Marvin stated he didn't want Henry back and disagreed with the signing, but the relevant portion of the article is in quotes here.

Q: The relationship (Mike and Marvin's relationship) seems to have survived the Chris Henry disagreement.

A: People disagree all the time. Unfortunately, I let it be public. We disagree about a number of things all the time. Some come my way, some go his way. In this case, unfortunately, I voiced my opinion publicly, really, knowing what his opinion was, and that ultimately he had the final say-so like any owner does.

Dude, how dare you throw facts at greenie, I'm sorry, I meant your opinions, right greenie?

I don't have a link... but I do recall reading that the Bengals were dead last in point differential in the 3rd quarter. That shows an inability to adjust at half time - and remains one of my biggest concerns about this team. No matter how much talent they retrieve, if they can't coach effectively, it will just be squandered.

Agree about the adjustments at the half, they never seem to make them...When CPalmer went down in the 05' playoff game, they kept throwing downfield with JKitna, when they should have scaled back some...

Dude, how dare you throw facts at greenie, I'm sorry, I meant your opinions, right greenie?

You must of missed the one.... not too long after that article.. In which Marv says, at the end of the day, they were on the same page. MB ultimately has the final say so, but he did NOT completely undermine Coach Marv... Marv wanted Henry. It's called tough love and the f**kING MESSAGE WORKED!! Look at Henry now... end of subject.

You must of missed the one.... not too long after that article.. In which Marv says, at the end of the day, they were on the same page. MB ultimately has the final say so, but he did NOT completely undermine Coach Marv... Marv wanted Henry. It's called tough love and the f**kING MESSAGE WORKED!! Look at Henry now... end of subject.

That's not quite the end of subject. Your original posts on the matter stated that Lewis was pulling for him and welcomed him back. You stated ML and SoP were on the same page and in agreement. Those assertions were not completely accurate. Marv initially did not want Henry back. Were they on the same page AT THE END OF THE DAY? Sure. What choice did Marvin have?

I don't disagree with your premise that Henry has done well and is poised to have a great year. I've always liked Henry's skills and think he's a heck of a receiver when his head's on straight. I'm optimistic that may now be the case, based on what we've all heard.

However, my biggest problem with your initial post was that it portrayed Marvin as being on board from square one. In fact, your quote was that there was no disagreement between them. Well, yeah, there actually was. Lewis talked about that in Ickey's quote. In fact, Lewis stated, "Unfortunately, I let it be public." In other words, he got the SoP smack up side the head, hence getting Marvin 'on the same page'.

I don't doubt Marvin is pulling for Henry now, especially if he needs Henry to step up to replace your man-crush Fredo. Just don't ignore the facts to support yourself, especially where, here, you don't really need to.

That's not quite the end of subject. Your original posts on the matter stated that Lewis was pulling for him and welcomed him back. You stated ML and SoP were on the same page and in agreement. Those assertions were not completely accurate. Marv initially did not want Henry back. Were they on the same page AT THE END OF THE DAY? Sure. What choice did Marvin have?

I don't disagree with your premise that Henry has done well and is poised to have a great year. I've always liked Henry's skills and think he's a heck of a receiver when his head's on straight. I'm optimistic that may now be the case, based on what we've all heard.

However, my biggest problem with your initial post was that it portrayed Marvin as being on board from square one. In fact, your quote was that there was no disagreement between them. Well, yeah, there actually was. Lewis talked about that in Ickey's quote. In fact, Lewis stated, "Unfortunately, I let it be public." In other words, he got the SoP smack up side the head, hence getting Marvin 'on the same page'.

I don't doubt Marvin is pulling for Henry now, especially if he needs Henry to step up to replace your man-crush Fredo. Just don't ignore the facts to support yourself, especially where, here, you don't really need to.

Yeah, what he said.