Roy Williams Signed per .com

mgi

You have to agree with Chad that

No, I don't have to. And I don't.

You can't call Chad a lier

I can call a liar, and I'll even spell it right. And I do.

I'll go one step further - he's a lying pretentious diva douchebag. Ok, so that was 2 or 3 steps further. All true nonetheless.

If Chad speaks the truth

Chad hasn't been able to get anywhere near 'truth' since he signed with Rosenhaus

He lives a lie

maybe Mike has finally got his head out of his ass.

also untrue

you can't knock the guy for saying it out loud.

I can

I do

I did

ArmyBengal usually sums this up far better than I ever could.......

Let's get Fredo out of this discussion

err, uhh, I did not see this til after I posted.

Sorry.

100% agreed.....the less I see and hear of Ocho Droppo, the better.

No problem. Greenie draws a mandatory response from all of us at times.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy's job, plain and simple, is to wait for the Steelers to come to Cincy and then lay such a hit on Ward that it'll rattle his grandkids' teeth. Outside of that, everything else is just gravy.

I agree, but think it's not quite as limited as that. I think his job is to cash the check that Dexter Jackson's mouth wrote the past few seasons. While I have grave doubts about Williams' abilities, I have no problem with bringing in somebody who can punch a few Ravens and Steelers in the mouth for once. I just hope he still has the wheels to get in the right position to do that for 4 games this season. And, no, I'm not really convinced that he does. If he does, and if he can make a few highlights with impact hits against our division foes who have been able to rightly call us pu**ies since David Fulcher retired I don't care if he doesn't even suit up for the other games. Incidentally, with some broadening of scope, this is something like what I'm hoping for from 58 this season as well. Within the scheme of what Zimmer is trying to do, it would be nice to have some intimidation working in our favor for a change.

I was talking about a personal satisfaction level myself. If I can see Ward's mouth bloodied, money well spent. I'll even kick in a couple bucks on the fine.

Roy's job, plain and simple, is to wait for the Steelers to come to Cincy and then lay such a hit on Ward that it'll rattle his grandkids' teeth. Outside of that, everything else is just gravy.

I agree, but think it's not quite as limited as that. I think his job is to cash the check that Dexter Jackson's mouth wrote the past few seasons. While I have grave doubts about Williams' abilities, I have no problem with bringing in somebody who can punch a few Ravens and Steelers in the mouth for once. I just hope he still has the wheels to get in the right position to do that for 4 games this season. And, no, I'm not really convinced that he does. If he does, and if he can make a few highlights with impact hits against our division foes who have been able to rightly call us pu**ies since David Fulcher retired I don't care if he doesn't even suit up for the other games. Incidentally, with some broadening of scope, this is something like what I'm hoping for from 58 this season as well. Within the scheme of what Zimmer is trying to do, it would be nice to have some intimidation working in our favor for a change.

I was talking about a personal satisfaction level myself. If I can see Ward's mouth bloodied, money well spent. I'll even kick in a couple bucks on the fine.

Definitely, just add Roeth, Mason, Flacco, Edwards, and Parker to that list and I'm in heaven. I understand the special place in the Bengals' heart for Whines though.

Definitely, just add Roeth, Mason, Flacco, Edwards, and Parker to that list and I'm in heaven. I understand the special place in the Bengals' heart for Whines though.

My additions are Jamal Lewis, and maybe even Jerome Bettis during an interview.

We should start moving forward with this one immediately. But let's not do things after the fact because I'm pretty sure fans are prohibited from paying player fines. The team simply collects the money and gives it to charity.

However, there's nothing but the law stopping us from raising a bounty.

Let 'em break those other guys with violent acts of fair play, but for me......it's got to be Hines.

And not just once.

From now on.

Let 'em break those other guys with violent acts of fair play, but for me......it's got to be Hines.

And not just once.

From now on.

I think fans would lining up to help pay Roy's fine if he put an illegal hit on Ward to put him out of the game.

One of the most frustrating things about last years offseason was rooted in it's lack of clear direction, with an odd mix of "win now" moves being packaged with the type of "rebuilding" moves that all but guarantee delayed short term success. But while there's always a mix of long-term and short-term goals competing for off-season attention this years team seems to be built around the goal of immediate impact....especially on defense.

It's long overdue.

These are my thoughts exactly... But doesn't it seem that way this year too? It's hard to complain when the Bengals are finally doing the kinds of things so many of us have wanted them to do for years now - but it also seems strange. These free agent deals (Roy, Tank, Benson) are very short term, and their contracts will be long expired by the time the rookies we're so excited about are playing at the level needed to make a true run. Like you said, a strange mix of "win now" and "rebuild mode."

All of that to say, (I doubt this is the true motivation, but) doesn't it seem a bit like Mike Brown attempting to buy off disgruntled fans for a season? Keep fans interested while the wait for his new crop of rookies to learn the ropes, and then once they do... back to business as usual. 8-8 seasons out the ass.

A few things here:

To keep it on topic, both Williams and Tank are here on one year deals. If they help this team produce, then fine. I firmly believe that Tank had his best years in Chicago's 4-3 and was lost in Dallas. I also believe Williams got caught up in the 3-4 that happened in Dallas and the scheme no longer fit him. His forearm injury kept him out last year and after trying to tough it out and come back, he got hurt again. I really can't fault him for that. I also agree with thinking Zimmer knows how to use him best in our scheme.

Next thing, and it also applies to both Williams and Tank. If they are looking for a big pay day after hoping to have one improved year and the Bengals feel the need to walk away, they can do it with little to no financial impact. Couple that with a 2010 draft that (as of this time) appears PACKED full of DT and S talent and I have little to no concerns with these signings and our ability to replace them the following season.

Off topic here, but after doing little to no research, I've determined that Chad is still a miserable piece of sh*t. His ranting have little to do with anything outside of what benefits him. Yes, he is a liar and I agree with TJ when he said Chad was living a lie. Chad (at least the Chad we all grew to love watching play) is DEAD. The guy we are left with is a malcontent with little to do anything that require leadership on his part. I can't think of ONE time in all of his years that he has shown ANY type of leadership on or off the field. This offseason he's been like a f*ckrag that's been sitting on the floor of your bedroom for a week. You really don't see or hear much from him, but you know he's still there and when he shows himself all you will be able to do is cringe.

If I'm still not being straight forward enough in this regard, I will sum it up the way TJ was referring to:

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

he said some things that I think ALL of us can relate to.

You got me brother. When you're right, you're right. And in this instance, you're right.

I can forgive him for that if he shows up and does his part to make this team better.

I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I'll forgive him too. I don't know why, maybe it's Mike's sudden urgency to improve the team, but I find myself hoping Chad finds his form again. We need players more than I need an object of ridicule and scorn.

Agreen I think your persistent support for the player-we-may-not-name is starting to wear off on me. Damn, I wish I knew how to quit you.

Edit so this post doesn't get deleted: Roy Williams.

These are my thoughts exactly... But doesn't it seem that way this year too? It's hard to complain when the Bengals are finally doing the kinds of things so many of us have wanted them to do for years now - but it also seems strange. These free agent deals (Roy, Tank, Benson) are very short term, and their contracts will be long expired by the time the rookies we're so excited about are playing at the level needed to make a true run. Like you said, a strange mix of "win now" and "rebuild mode."

Ya though having no one that we really need to resign next year if Roy or Tank becomes a lights out defender we'll have more then enough capspace to resign them...more so if it remains uncapped eh....

This is another tremendous move for the team. Teams will have to think twice about throwing over the middle and this should reduce the high number of missed tackles by our Safeties, that resulted in many big-plays last season. Hopefully, this allows Nduke to focus on the passing downs and Special Teams, which are his major strengths, IMO.

Eseentially, this looks like a Levi-for-Roy trade and who wouldn't have taken that one a year ago?

If anybody can help Roy regain his Pro Bowl-caliber play, it's the DC who coached him to most (if not all five) of his Pro Bowl seasons. IF Roy is right and healthy, I don't know how teams will be able to run on an already above-average Bengals run defense, which is huge in the AFC North.

As far as how the signing affects the defensive backs the Bengals will carry, due to the nature and timing of his injury, White will almost certainly be PUP'd and he could even be IR'd, which would be in the best interest of his future Bengals years in coming back from a torn ACL and MCL as a defensive back. The Bengals were toying with the idea of using Lynch in the Kaesviharn S/CB role, which would mean he sticks...but only if he shows he can hack it as the 4th CB. I think Lynch has rare intangibles, if not elite speed, and he could be a real player for us.

Next thing, and it also applies to both Williams and Tank. If they are looking for a big pay day after hoping to have one improved year and the Bengals feel the need to walk away, they can do it with little to no financial impact. Couple that with a 2010 draft that (as of this time) appears PACKED full of DT and S talent and I have little to no concerns with these signings and our ability to replace them the following season.

I believe this is the exact thing I was half-heartedly complaining about in the post directly before yours. These appear to be one-year stop gap solutions. But they don't need to be. If the Bengals decide to extend them before free agency arrives again, I'll stand corrected... but your scenario seems much more likely.

They couldn't address all the needs in the draft, so they went out and got a few players that will be here for 1 year, and then replace them with the draft next year. Instead of signing them to longer term deals and using the draft to build at other positions, these are going to be positions that need to be addressed in the draft next season.

We all hated the old plan... signing old guys to longer term deals and ignoring those positions of need in the draft. This resulted in a roster full of over-the-hill players that could no longer stay healthy at important positions. Now, they are hiring younger players with a much more upside, but with no real intention of keeping them around - thus continuing the need to draft several players that will be forced into starting roles.

A lesser problem I know... and certainly better than not addressing the needs at all. But this doesn't seem like building a dynasty. It seems like the Bengals will still be in rebuild mode in 2010... yet another year where we are forced to delay gratification.

Instead of signing them to longer term deals and using the draft to build at other positions, these are going to be positions that need to be addressed in the draft next season.

You're assuming that the one-year deals are of the Bengals' choice. I don't think that's the case.

These guys are turning down more money elsewhere because it means more years. They'd rather take the one-year deal in hopes of scoring big in a potentially uncapped 2010.

Same thing happened with Benson, if you believe the scuttlebutt: his deal got done when the Bengals agreed to crank it back from three years to two. My bet is that Benson would have preferred a on-year deal, too, but his only suitor was Houston, where he would have been a backup and thus couldn't show off for FA '10.

What I find different -- and encouraging -- about this year is that, in years past, the Bengals wouldn't have done that, for exactly the reason you cite: it means the process starts all over next March. Instead, we would have gotten some lesser players signed to multi-year bargain-bin contracts later this summer after teams start trimming rosters.

This year, the Bengals are signing those better-quality players, even though it's a short-term rental. And that's pure win-now.

One final thought: just because the deals are short-term doesn't mean Tank and Roy are gone next season. Both are what they are: a pure 4-3 DT and a throwback SS. Neither position is in heavy demand in the NFL these days. All the coaches are like Marvin: they want two-way safeties who can do it all, and linemen who can play inside and out, and flop from a 4-3 to a 3-4 on demand, etc. So even if they reach their uncapped nirvana next season, I'm not sure they're going to cash in, even if they do well in '09. And Army's observation about the strength of next year's draft at DT and S only strengthens my suspicions about their (lack of) FA value.

Instead of signing them to longer term deals and using the draft to build at other positions, these are going to be positions that need to be addressed in the draft next season.

You're assuming that the one-year deals are of the Bengals' choice. I don't think that's the case.

These guys are turning down more money elsewhere because it means more years. They'd rather take the one-year deal in hopes of scoring big in a potentially uncapped 2010.

Same thing happened with Benson, if you believe the scuttlebutt: his deal got done when the Bengals agreed to crank it back from three years to two. My bet is that Benson would have preferred a on-year deal, too, but his only suitor was Houston, where he would have been a backup and thus couldn't show off for FA '10.

What I find different -- and encouraging -- about this year is that, in years past, the Bengals wouldn't have done that, for exactly the reason you cite: it means the process starts all over next March. Instead, we would have gotten some lesser players signed to multi-year bargain-bin contracts later this summer after teams start trimming rosters.

This year, the Bengals are signing those better-quality players, even though it's a short-term rental. And that's pure win-now.

One final thought: just because the deals are short-term doesn't mean Tank and Roy are gone next season. Both are what they are: a pure 4-3 DT and a throwback SS. Neither position is in heavy demand in the NFL these days. All the coaches are like Marvin: they want two-way safeties who can do it all, and linemen who can play inside and out, and flop from a 4-3 to a 3-4 on demand, etc. So even if they reach their uncapped nirvana next season, I'm not sure they're going to cash in, even if they do well in '09. And Army's observation about the strength of next year's draft at DT and S only strengthens my suspicions about their (lack of) FA value.

Good post.

I like the Bengals willingness to bring in guys on "show me" contracts. It worked out well for the team in the Crocker and Benson signings and we're talking about a guy in Roy Williams who not so long ago was the most-feared Safety in the game. If he bounces back, I'm willing to bet that the Bengals offer him a decent contract to stay. Worst case scenerio, he is not a contributor and is off the books next season. It's a tremendously low-risk, high-reward gamble for the team in acquiring a player like Roy, especially considering we didn't have to part with anything other than a minimal salary to get him.

We improved the toughness and physicality of the defense 100% in getting potential game-changers in Rey and Roy on the team. What I like most is that our defense is no longer "one deep" across the board, with the exception right now being LCB.

I have no doubt that if these two guys inparticular play at a level better than expected the Bengals will try to hold onto them, but my point is, if they decide they don't want to or the players don't want to, then they move on to plan B and get their guys through the draft. With the "build through the draft" mentality, this seems like a very strong possibility.

Saying the players wanted the one year deal may be the case, but if they are turning down more money this year in hopes of cashing in during an uncapped season may NOT be the way to go, as has been discussed, while there is no top, there is also no bottom. Meaning teams can low ball the sh*t out of these guys leaving them with no recourse. It really kind of suprises me that some of these types of guys (older, 2nd or 3rd tier FA's) aren't trying to sign longer for more money. They will probably get a new deal in place before hand, but you just never know.

I like the thought they drafted to fill holes and the ones they couldn't fill were addressed with a vet presence that can be cut loose at their desire.

I have no doubt that if these two guys inparticular play at a level better than expected the Bengals will try to hold onto them, but my point is, if they decide they don't want to or the players don't want to, then they move on to plan B and get their guys through the draft. With the "build through the draft" mentality, this seems like a very strong possibility.

Saying the players wanted the one year deal may be the case, but if they are turning down more money this year in hopes of cashing in during an uncapped season may NOT be the way to go, as has been discussed, while there is no top, there is also no bottom. Meaning teams can low ball the sh*t out of these guys leaving them with no recourse. It really kind of suprises me that some of these types of guys (older, 2nd or 3rd tier FA's) aren't trying to sign longer for more money. They will probably get a new deal in place before hand, but you just never know.

I like the thought they drafted to fill holes and the ones they couldn't fill were addressed with a vet presence that can be cut loose at their desire.

There's no doubt it's a win-win proposition for both sides. The Bengals the best help that's left; guys like Tank and Roy get an opportunity to shine and maybe strike it rich next year.

In regards to next year's draft, I'm expecting either Safety or DT as the first round pick, with the other going in the next two rounds.

DT

S

RB

WR

OLB

Are all needs I see at this point IF some of the players either don't return or suck outright, but I like the signings to this point and like the flexibility the team has right now...

DT

S

RB

WR

OLB

Yup sounds about right though I'd throw in guard unless Livings is the future at RG.

Agree that both the o-line and d-line should have some depth added. That's only 5 spots, so there's room to move and maybe TJ can give an update for what we may be looking at for comp picks next year ??

Disregard TJ, I will start a new thread for those more interested in draft related issues for next season.