1st Round: Andre Smith

ArmyBengal

I cant frack'in believe it -- you have Eugene Monroe (the best LT in the draft) and you take Andre Smith??

It makes no sense.

Not when you have a million on questions A.Smith .

Not to mention his work ethic, you have to wonder why this guy does 19 reps of 225 when there are guys that did 30.

Plus, there are reports that the guy has weighed as much as 400 lbs.

Did we just draft another Jeremi Johnson, somebody that will eat themselves out of the game?

Dont get me wrong , I am happy that they got him and didnt over think it with some "best player avaliable" crap

But , they just passed on the best LT in the draft(Eugene Monroe), to draft the biggest question mark.

I dont think I saw anyone that didnt have Monroe the best LT in the draft , some would rate Jason Smith Higher because they felt that he had more upside, but you never saw Andre Smith ratted higher than Jason Smith or Eugene Monrow .

I think that what happened is , they started the draft thinking that there was no way of Monroe falling to them and started checking out Andre Smith and fell in love with him.

Oh well at least we have a LT.

Once the 1st rnd is over - when teams see that they were mot able to get a LTand what is left to choose from, I expect us to maybe get some offers on Leve Jones.

Untill he flubbed up at the combine, A. Smith was widely considered the #1 draft prospect for this year. Solid pick at #6.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until he flubbed up at the combine, A. Smith was widely considered the #1 draft prospect for this year. Solid pick at #6.

I NEVER put much stock into the combine where players are in shorts, wearing no pads, without an opposing player there to challenge them. Give me guys who show up on game day and kick ass! B)

Have you ever seen a lineman's body ?? They are all a bunch of fatass dudes.

Andre Smith has always been noted as having the quickest feet of all OT's in the draft even after his poor Combine effort.

Get over yourself already...

his playing wieght was billed in college at 340.

he came to the COMBINE 40-50 lbs. overwieght.

do the math, that would be nearly 400 lbs.

he has the quickest fork in the buffet line.

unreal.

that post right there drained any creditibility you tenuously hung to

to clear up my complaints about smith, it was written that his wieght shot up to 370 lbs but I've also heard other reports of any where between 400 and 345. no matter the guy has made one bonehead decison after another of late.

baraka, you'd better worry about smith's cred. instead of mine. IMO he doesn't fit the solid mold we need so badly in cincy.

keep telling yourself this was a good pick.

I'm glad someone took percy harvin before our crack staff could.

to clear up my complaints about smith, it was written that his wieght shot up to 370 lbs but I've also heard other reports of any where between 400 and 345. no matter the guy has made one bonehead decison after another of late.

baraka, you'd better worry about smith's cred. instead of mine. IMO he doesn't fit the solid mold we need so badly in cincy.

Damn JJ, did they kick you off of Go-Bengals or something? You've written 20 posts on this board and all of them seem to be about how much you hate Andre Smith.

Opinion noted.

Now go away.

Been out all day, unfortunately.....soccer games and whatnot with the kids

Love the pick of Smith.

That said, I still would rather have had Monroe, but call it a 51-49 preference.....it comes down to I'd rather have a really good LT than an elite RT at this time. I say that knowing quite well this will win me no popularity contests here.

If Smith is 90% of the player Big Willy was, I will be thrilled with him, but I do think he will end up at Willy's old spot (or Bobbie's - he's getting long in the tooth) rather than at the position we needed covered the most, ie OLT

All that said, again, I still love the pick and look forward to Smith paving the road for Benson et al this fall

Damn JJ, did they kick you off of Go-Bengals or something? You've written 20 posts on this board and all of them seem to be about how much you hate Andre Smith.

Opinion noted.

Now go away.

Yeah, and he's member #4 on here registered since 2002. I guess that is 7 years of built of anger all taken out on Andre Smith.

BTW...is there an ignore feature on here?

I just got back from out of town and saw the picks...gotta say I love 'em both. I don't understand the hate on this thread for A. Smith. The guy's a BEAST! He was easily the best OT in the college ball last season. And I don't think it's a sure thing that he has to play at RT. He has the ability to play LT too. It's more likely they'll plug him in at RT for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a shot at LT if Levi isn't back to form.

Finally...a Bengals draft that has started out well! It's been a few yrs since I've felt this way.

Well, I was kinda PO'ed with the pick when they made it, I still feel Eugene Monroe was the better option BUT Smith is a legitimate Tackle and hopefully will play for the Bengals for quite some time. No question he had the most talent of any tackle in the draft, I am guessing they will immediately line him up RT with Collins playing LT but we will see. Was VERY impressed by Marvin's post pick news conference and I feel very good that they did due dilligence on him. Was also impresed by his answers on the conference call...knew Willie Anderson's number and said "I followed everyone who played OLine in the NFL" Good stuff, maybe he is more dedicated than I thought.

so much of andre's post-season stuff was overblown, media tripe anyway, everyone who actually knows the kid has nothing but glowing reviews about his dedication and the like. i have found it interesting that the two players that have been taken have "red flags" as far is character is concerned (despite the degree to which its based on fact) and there has been no scolding or "leave it to the bengals" from the media hacks. maybe we've sloughed off our tarnished rep.

Here's a secondary reason I like Andre Smith with the #6 pick. The word bust gets thrown around. The Bengals have had their share of them.

What happened when Ki-Jana Carter or Akili Smith busted? You got absolutely no value.

What happens if A. Smith busts? You turn him into a guard and still get good production.

Sure... it's still technically a bust, but all it really means is that you didn't get good value for the #6 pick. He would be a bust in the sense that Justin Smith was a bust. Not really a bust... he just didn't reach the expectations compared to where he was drafted.

For this reason, drafting Smith was not only my favorite pick because I firmly believe he'll be a stud... but in my mind OT is also possibly the safest position to draft in the 1st round.

The Rams will use No. 2 overall pick Jason Smith at right tackle to begin offseason minicamps.

Usual RT Alex Barron will be on Marc Bulger's blind side. Left tackle is actually Barron's best position, so it's possible he'll stay there into the year. Smith will need to improve his run blocking to be effective on the right.

Maybe the Rams should hire Mike brown as a GM :o

i don't care to much for andre, he is a immature kid with a piss poor attitude, but there is no denying the kids talent. i hope he comes in here and just dominates and keeps carson off his back. if he can do that than he is ok by me.

Quite surprisingly, I haven't heard one draft review critical of the Bengals decision to take Smith over Monroe. I also like the fact that he actually follows the game and said he wears #71 for Tony Boselli. Monroe was the one Alexander referred to that couldn't name any of the top OTs at the Combine, outside of the VA guys. The more than I think about it, the more I like the pick, especially after the Bengals surprise visit to him the day before the draft, when he was still in shape. I like the pick far better with getting Rey in the 2nd round that I would have if we had gotten a lesser player at #38.

I know it'll never happen, but I would love to see the Bengals bring Big Willie back if he's released, as a tutor for Smith. Smith is a also a fan of Willie and they look to be similar-styled players with Alabama backgrounds.