The Hines Ward special is now illegal!

walzav29

The owners voted to make that block illegal. I wonder if Keith Rivers is going to mentally get over that hit? It's all he's heaerd about for 6 months. He was on Sirius the other day, and they went over that play agian for the 57 millionth time. It will be interesting how he responds.

they mustve reviewed the Steeler's whole season and determined all they do is head hunt teams

Agreed. They play to hurt you, the Gayvens play to dominate u physically! That's y I atleast have respect for the Ravens, but I couldn't hate the Steelers anymore than I already do, atleast that ball sucker safety Anthony Smith(he's the one that cheap shotted Wes Welker) is gone!

Blah blah blah...

Would ANYONE here NOT want to have a team as physical as either the Steelers or Ravens ?? If we did, I bet VERY few fans, if any, would be making any type of apologies for the way the players went about thier business. Intimidation is a bitch !!!

On topic, I thought then and still think now that hit on Rivers was malicious, but that's neither here nor there now. All I want to see is Rivers come back and take out all his frustration on the opposition this coming season.

If he happens to blow up Ward along the way, all the more power to him !!!

Gotta respect the Steelers, (don't like them but have to respect them) they are the model of consistency in Professional Sports, they conduct their business the right way. All that being said I think Kimo's hit was absolutely on purpose and I think Cowher personally told him to do it if he had the chance and I think that was jacked up but Hines' hit was just the result of a guy playing hard and playing the game tough I don't think anything was premeditated and I think we could do with more of that from the Bengals.

I wholeheartedly agree about next season though, Hines better have his head on a swivel when playing the Bengals because someone is going to try and take it off (likely Rivers)

playing tough physical hard hitting football is one thing, but to try to catch a player defenseless with shots to the head, knee or what ever is plan dirty. i have no respect for it, and glad the owners did some thing about it. as for keith i think he is motivated as hell from it, and can't wait to get back.

I don't know what is more shameful.

The crybaby Bengal players that can't seem to lay the stick on anybody, unless they are off the football field...

...or the crybaby Bengal fans that have transitioned from whining about the Carson hit to whining about the Rivers hit.

I would LOVE to have a guy like Ward as one of our WRs.

As opposed to Chad "God didn't make me a blocker" Johnson. :bag:

Interesting coverage of the rule changes on the NFL's very own network yesterday. While discussing the rule change the network went to video showing four examples of the types of hits no longer acceptable. The first play shown was of course the Hines Ward hit. Perhaps slightly less predictable....all three plays shown after the Ward hit also featured Steeler players.

If there's a lesson to be learned it's this. If you want a reputation for tough physical play it never hurts to play a little bit dirty.

How are players supposed to be make that contact legal, then? Hope that the person they are about to tag turns to see them at the last minute?

I think you have write them a letter a full 7 working days before making the hit. Contact is slowly being taken out of the game. What with this and rucking being taken out of rugby I might as well switch to wendyball full time.

Regardless, Rivers will keep his head up in future.

Blah blah blah...

Would ANYONE here NOT want to have a team as physical as either the Steelers or Ravens ?? If we did, I bet VERY few fans, if any, would be making any type of apologies for the way the players went about thier business. Intimidation is a bitch !!!

On topic, I thought then and still think now that hit on Rivers was malicious, but that's neither here nor there now. All I want to see is Rivers come back and take out all his frustration on the opposition this coming season.

I would love to have physicality of the steelers and ravens ya,but I still wouldn't want to see our players coming in from behind and hurting other players....I wouldn't want to see Caldwell do the same thing to -Lamar Woodley and brake his jaw...

I wonder if Keith Rivers is going to mentally get over that hit?

Me personally as a LB, knowing LB's, although me not a professional one, hes already gotten over it. Im sure he got over it the day after it happened. Its a hit, a big hit but its a hit. This man gets payed the big bucks to make and take the hits, and he only broke his jaw. My word over any im 100% sure hes over it.

The crybaby Bengal players that can't seem to lay the stick on anybody, unless they are off the football field...

...or the crybaby Bengal fans that have transitioned from whining about the Carson hit to whining about the Rivers hit.

Man, you must chew nails and spit rivets while you're posting on these fansites. You are truly the hardest Bengals fan on earth, sitting at your computer courageously criticizing not only Mike Brown and the Bengals, but now even Bengals fans!

Blah blah blah...

I would love to have physicality of the steelers and ravens ya,but I still wouldn't want to see our players coming in from behind and hurting other players....I wouldn't want to see Caldwell do the same thing to -Lamar Woodley and brake his jaw...

I will still argue that IF (and that's a BIG if) the Bengals had a defense that intimidated other offenses the way the Steelers and Ravens do, there would be few Bengals fans offering up apologies if and when one of our players made a questionable play the way Ward did. Do I agree with what Ward did ?? No, but if one of our players did the same thing and made the opposition think twice about us smacking them in the mouth, I would be the LAST person crying about how dirty our players were.

The Hines hit wasn't dirty. Everyone says to keep your head on a swivel. As for the people saying that the league is moving towards flag football, I think that's nonsense. Never in the history of the game have players been bigger and faster than they are now. Not to mention as expensive. If they still allowed play now like they did in the 50's there would be 2 deaths a year. It's easy for us to sit on our couches drinking beer with our wifebeaters on yelling to kill the bum! But if your playing it's dangerous business. I wouldn't complain 1 bit if our defense was as aggressive as those scumbag Steelers.

The Hines hit wasn't dirty. Everyone says to keep your head on a swivel. As for the people saying that the league is moving towards flag football, I think that's nonsense. Never in the history of the game have players been bigger and faster than they are now. Not to mention as expensive. If they still allowed play now like they did in the 50's there would be 2 deaths a year. It's easy for us to sit on our couches drinking beer with our wifebeaters on yelling to kill the bum! But if your playing it's dangerous business. I wouldn't complain 1 bit if our defense was as aggressive as those scumbag Steelers.

Just because people "say" keep your head on a swivel doesn't mean Ward's hit wasn't dirty. I've watched over and over and while he may have "led" with the shoulder, it wasn't his shoulder hitting Rivers square in the face, it was his helmet. Either way, it's no longer here or there. I agree with the way the game has progressed over the years and needing to ensure the safety of the players. Yep, hate the Steelers all anyone wants to, but the organization is top notch and that defense prides itself on intimidating the opposition and letting you know they are going to make all efforts to knock the sh*t out of you.

Just because people "say" keep your head on a swivel doesn't mean Ward's hit wasn't dirty. I've watched over and over and while he may have "led" with the shoulder, it wasn't his shoulder hitting Rivers square in the face, it was his helmet. Either way, it's no longer here or there. I agree with the way the game has progressed over the years and needing to ensure the safety of the players. Yep, hate the Steelers all anyone wants to, but the organization is top notch and that defense prides itself on intimidating the opposition and letting you know they are going to make all efforts to knock the sh*t out of you.

I've done it many times, so i personally don't consider it dirty. Although im not happy it happend to one of our guys. i'm still saying i doubt rivers had a mouth guard in. Im sure if he did he wouldnt have had a broken jaw, just a wounded pride.

Fair enough, it's still my opininon on that one. I'm not familiar with the mouth guards they use, but if I'm thinking they are like the ones boxers use, do they really provide enough protection to keep your jaw from getting busted ?? I just wouldn't think so, but I'm not the authority on the matter...

I don't hear Steeler fans apologizing for the hit OR the latest championship. In fact, as I hinted at earlier many reputations based upon intimidation have TRADITIONALLY been built upon a willingness to push the limits of accepted play.

As for what I'd like to see happen next start with my desire to see Hines Ward blasted into near unconciousness by a Bengal player delivering a perfectly fair and legal hit. And then I'd like to see several Bengal players deliver a series of late hits toWard's knees and head as he's being helped off the field by other Steeler players, trainers, and medical support staff.

I don't hear Steeler fans apologizing for the hit OR the latest championship. In fact, as I hinted at earlier many reputations based upon intimidation have TRADITIONALLY been built upon a willingness to push the limits of accepted play.

As for what I'd like to see happen next start with my desire to see Hines Ward blasted into near unconciousness by a Bengal player delivering a perfectly fair and legal hit. And then I'd like to see several Bengal players deliver a series of late hits to Ward's knees and head as he's being helped off the field by other Steeler players, trainers, and medical support staff.

D*mn dude, having a brutal type of day ?? Nothing wrong with a little hatred and anger though...

I must admit, reading that did bring a sh*tty little smile to my face.

You dont go after someones head and lead with your helmet, it does not matter what team you play for! Ward is an overrated possesion WR, the Bengals just let a better option walk in TJ.