Benson resigned for 2 years

Bearcat1975

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s...mentId=blogDest

The Cedric Benson watch is over. He has re-signed with the Bengals. Terms of the deal are 2 years and $7 million.

Also, Clare Clare Farnsworth of the Seattle P-I e-mailed us back to say T.J. Houshmandzadeh's MRI was a formality. There wasn't time to take it over the weekend as part of his routine physical.

Anyone waiting for the Bengals big splash in free agency, you've just seen it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't overpay. Didn't have to commit to a longer contract than hoped.

Best news I've heard in a week.

Indeed. It was a gamble, and it paid off. Certainly a better deal than having to franchise him, anyway.

Great move.

Nice increase for him but an even better deal for the Bengals. Gotta give credit to the Bengals for not overpaying guys this free agency, if nothing else. Sign a C, Kuhn and Grossman and we're talking.

The Bengals draft just opened back up and this probably ends the Knowshon talk, for now.

Great move.

Nice increase for him but an even better deal for the Bengals. Gotta give credit to the Bengals for not overpaying guys this free agency, if nothing else. Sign a C, Kuhn and Grossman and we're talking.

The Bengals draft just opened back up and this probably ends the Knowshon talk, for now.

Yep, Knowshon nomore. I was a huge supporter for him, this is actually smart on both parties. Cedric will become a FA again when he is 28 which will allow him to get one more good deal if he can pull his head from his ass. I think we will take a RB with our second 3rd rounder this year.

We can get Coles in here now and that would leave us with over 15 million in cap room. Maybe we can sign Birk still? I doubt it, I would be happy getting Coles, Benson, and Crocker!

Mixed reaction about the signing. I really liked him last year in stripes. Just don't know if I can trust him... But hey, it is only a two year contract, so Benson still has to work to earn his next big payday.

Good move Bengals...

Forget about WRs, just work on getting more quality players that play on the line of scrimmage (OL and DL).

Indeed. It was a gamble, and it paid off. Certainly a better deal than having to franchise him, anyway.

No doubt about it.

Frankly, the whole idea of tagging Benson always had less to do with Benson and everything to do with freeing up the draft. This signing does that trick very neatly, and for far less coin.

Holy Crap $7 Mill??????? Way too much money. That's 3.5 mill a year!!! Holy crap!!!1 He shoudl of came at a better price like a 2 year deal worth the veteran minimum, thats what I was expecting! OMFG.

I am suprised that some on this board aren't freaking out. After saying that Ward signed for way too much money when it is basically the same deal just longer.

I think it's a good move, especially when you think was out there as far as RB's were concerned. Not really surprised. There are not very many teams out there in the market for a starting running back. Benson was okay for us, despite the line. Let's beef it up and see what he can do. At least we don't have to draft a back now.

Holy Crap $7 Mill??????? Way too much money. That's 3.5 mill a year!!! Holy crap!!!1 He shoudl of came at a better price like a 2 year deal worth the veteran minimum, thats what I was expecting! OMFG.

I am suprised that some on this board aren't freaking out. After saying that Ward signed for way too much money when it is basically the same deal just longer.

The former New York Giants running back has agreed to a four-year, $17 million contract with Tampa Bay. Ward will earn $6 million guaranteed in 2009 and salaries over the next two seasons that would raise the three-year value to $13 million.

Ward is guaranteed almost as much this year as Benson's entire deal is worth. Benson's deal is cheaper and shorter. Also, while Benson really has only one good season under his belt, he's the type of back who can take more of a pounding.

All in all, Benson's contract doesn't look all that bad. I beat on Mike Brown as much as anyone on this board, but this was a fair deal given the alternatives they currently have.

Realistically, both were fair deals. I'd have been happy to see *both* of them in the Bengals backfield, at those prices.

3.5 million for two years is better than no money for no years and we draft a RB in the top 3. I personally would rather have Moreno, but that obviously would involve trading Chad to the Skins for number 13, which if we sign Coles I wouldn't mind still doing, especially if you guys all still want Rey Rey!

Trust me I am down on this fagget after he said we couldn't make it to the Superbowl, but the Texans could, but I have to admit what he did last year was impressive. Our Oline wasn't very existence and his YPG weren't very good, but he did have a bum at QB that couldn't keep defenses honest. If we strengthen our line and Carson comes back he could improve monumentally.

Good move, was hoping they'd keep him around - 2 year contract is perfect. I assume they'll still be looking for a #2 option in the draft, who could replace him if needed.

Finally something positive. Hope he's as motivated as he was last year and we don't see any behavioral problems. It's amazing he and Henry both exist on the same team and didn't do anything stupid last season. Hope that continues. Benson is in his prime, and should continue to do well under Jim Anderson.