Forget Andre Smith...

I just don't see RT as a gaping hole. I believe Whit or Collins could be very effective at that position. The team seems to be high on the Dennis Roland kid, too.

Here's the other thing. Jeanty is working on a 1-year deal and Zimmer says that they are looking for more big plays from his SLB position. What the team needs most is a player that can consistently generate pressure on the QB, which would help the entire team. The key to the 2005 season was that the Bengals were able to force turnovers, which gave our offense a short field much of the time that season.

Orakpo, Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin could make our young defense one of the best in the league.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from nfl.com pro days blog 3/11/2009:

Early signs for Alabama’s Smith not promising

Posted: March 11th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Alabama, Andre Smith

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, the first returns are not overly impressive.

He best 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he put up only 19 bench press lifts at 225 pounds. Neither number of which would have put him close to the top 10 performers at his position in the combine.

The rest of Smith and his Alabama teammates’ numbers from pro day will be in shortly on NFL.com.

from nfl.com pro days blog 3/11/2009:

Early signs for Alabama’s Smith not promising

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, the first returns are not overly impressive.

He best 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he put up only 19 bench press lifts at 225 pounds. Neither number of which would have put him close to the top 10 performers at his position in the combine.

The rest of Smith and his Alabama teammates’ numbers from pro day will be in shortly on NFL.com.

wow- 19 reps - unofficial?

nice find tj

The (slightly) updated entry for Alabama's Pro Day:

Alabama’s Smith does not post stellar numbers

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, his times were not overly impressive, but he did at least work out.

Smith measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His short shuttle time is still to come as are the times from his Alabama teammates.

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

Not good news so far. Any word on his weight?

According to the PFT account (take it for what it's worth), he worked out without his shirt on and was, "...visibly overweight."

(((Shrug))) He's been visibly overweight for years.

That said, based upon the workout video I watched two days ago Smith's now familiar "pot belly" looked much smaller, and that was confirmed by his Pro Day weight of 325...a full 7 pounds lighter than at the just completed combine. So he has been working.

Furthermore, I wasn't expecting much from the track numbers. He admitted at the combine he hadn't trained for those types of events and he hasn't had enough time since Indy to improve very much, if at all.

To put it a different way, Willie Anderson does not look too good without his shirt on either - but he was/is a helluva OT

Not to be confused with "fat is good" - rather, fat is not necessarily bad, as long as the fellow can still move (less concerned with the 40, don't see an OL sprinting 40 yards too often, more concerned with the shorter stuff) and do the job.

Unfortunately, many of the other measurables were not all that good either.

To put it a different way, Willie Anderson does not look too good without his shirt on either - but he was/is a helluva OT

Not to be confused with "fat is good" - rather, fat is not necessarily bad, as long as the fellow can still move (less concerned with the 40, don't see an OL sprinting 40 yards too often, more concerned with the shorter stuff) and do the job.

Unfortunately, many of the other measurables were not all that good either.

When it comes to O-linemen, I don't care about any of the workout stuff. If you go back and watch some Alabama games you can see that he constantly made it to the second level to successfully block linebackers and he constantly blew up D-linemen when he run blocked.

As for the bench reps, he has the longest arms of the top tackle prospects so he is at a disadvantage there. Plus Ryan Clady had a really weak bench at last years combine, and he only gave up a half a sack this season and is already being considered a top 5 left tackle in the NFL.

I remember reading about how Paul Alexander absolutely hated liars, and he hated them so much that if one of his players lied to him, he wanted them off the team. I think Andre Smith getting up and telling the truth at the combine instead of making up some bogus injury will go a long way with Paul. A lot of people criticize Paul on here, but I don't think anybody can doubt his ability to find winners in the first couple rounds. If Paul likes the guy, I am all for drafting him.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/wh...a_ot_andre.html

As the questions continue to mount for Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith, so does the possibility that the talented mountain of a man will do a freefall through the first round of the draft.

Not long ago, he was seriously being mentioned as a possibility for the Detroit Lions with the No. 1 pick. If not to Motown, most had him going in the top five picks.

Now, Smith could be making a move down the board, quite a ways down the board, and could be in play for the Bears when they select 18th.

Early results from Smith's pro day today in Tuscaloosa, Ala., where it is believed Bears' scout Mark Sadowski is on hand, are not good. Remember, Smith blew out of the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month without telling anyone. He said he was going to work out on his pro day. That hasn't gone so well so far. His 40 time was 5.28 seconds. While that's not real significant for offensive linemen, it gives you a general idea about his athleticism. More alarming was just 19 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds. This is a player who was known for his tenacity and muscle on the field. However, those are not numbers that are going to bury him. In comparison, Chris Williams ran a 5.21 40 last year and put up 21 reps on the bench press.

Despite the bad press he's getting already on a workout that ended just a short while ago, one source said he did well in positional drills and that he would be surprised if Smith fell out of the top 10. He said Smith wasn't winded in his workouts and that was another key. You're going to get different opinions depending where you look. The bottom line is if he does make it out of the top 10, the Bears will have to consider him.

The Bears will surely take a look at another player from the school, safety Rashard Johnson, but it's interesting to consider what could happen if Smith tumbles through the first round. They could be staring at the top talent if they're comfortable with the baggage he's carrying.

And this from PFT:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/...millions-today/

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFLmag-glass_10x10.gif scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

The entry on the pro day's blog on nfl.com has been updated yet again. includes a short shuttle time, also not good

Pro Days

Alabama’s Smith not necessarily doomed by poor times

While Andre Smith may not have put forth sensational workout drill numbers, word out of Tuscaloosa is that he looked far better in his positional drills. The workout drills may not be totally indicative of Smith’s ability.

Weight issues and workout times are not always the best barometer of a prospect’s skill level. I’m reminded of former Pro Bowl lineman Nate Newton.

I signed Newton when I was with the Cowboys, the afternoon after the USFL went under and he weighed 295 pounds at the time (heavy for that day and age). Some of our coaches wondered how he would be able to perform at his size, but he wound up being one of the best players in the league at his position.

Not to say, Smith will be the next Nate Newton, but he should not automatically be dismissed because of his weight or disappointing workout drill times — especially given his impressive college tape and solid performance in the positional drills.

That said, the initial impressions from Alabama OT prospect Andre Smith’s workout were not overly impressive. He came into his pro day hoping to post solid numbers and prove to scouts that he was in shape after showing up to the combine overweight and leaving Indianapolis unannounced without doing the drills.

He told Steve Wyche heading into the pro day, “There’s so much I’m putting into March 11. They say don’t put all your eggs in one basket but I’m doing that on this occasion because I feel like I need to give the best showing I can.”

Well, his workout times were unspectacular. He came in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His did the short shuttle in 4.93 seconds.

To put Smith’s workout drills in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

To me, this guy is looking more and more like a RT or even a RG

I was really hoping for good things from this kid and thought his coaches and agent would have had in more ready than he apparently was.

But, as I also said, if he doesn't show up, there's no reason to keep in consideration at #6. Oh well, we move on to the next thought at #6.

TRADE DOWN !!!

When it comes to O-linemen, I don't care about any of the workout stuff. If you go back and watch some Alabama games you can see that he constantly made it to the second level to successfully block linebackers and he constantly blew up D-linemen when he run blocked.

Thank you. You put into words what I've been feeling but couldn't distill down to an understandable sentence. Why do we take football players, and tell them to go through a bunch of track events, then say, "You're not too good at those track events, you must not be too good at football?" It's retarded. Look at the film, the guy is a football player.

The combine and on-campus workouts were made for skill athletes. This fat guy was a great college blocker, under two different coaching regimes. There is no reason to believe he won't be great under a third coaching regime.

He is not in a football program right now. He doesn't have a lifting a workout schedule to follow. He doesn't have the paperwork regarding those workouts to turn in. He's simply not in a program right now, thus there is no one to be accountable to right now. He clearly needs that structure, and has thrived when he's had it. Trainers you hired to get you in shape aren't the same as working out at a team facility with your teammates and strength coaches.

He'll thrive again, and I hope it's in stripes after we trade down and snag him with, say, the 15th pick.

I was really hoping for good things from this kid and thought his coaches and agent would have had in more ready than he apparently was.

But, as I also said, if he doesn't show up, there's no reason to keep in consideration at #6. Oh well, we move on to the next thought at #6.

TRADE DOWN !!!

You can pretty much bet that if the Bengals do trade that #6 pick, they will NOT get good value for it.....Who's going to make that deal? Mike Brown? we dont have a GM.....

I just read a Sporting News recap of Smith's Pro Day and Russ Lande is now projecting Smith to fall into the 3rd round.

Wow.

Sporting News Online Content Editor: "Calm down Russ, try not to do anything rash."

Russ Lande: (Hyperventilating) "He... looked really... fat! He couldn't... sprint very... fast. Auugghhhh..." (Dashes wild-eyed to the keyboard, speaks in sportswriter tongues as he pounds out 500 quick words. Then sinks into hysterics, foams at the mouth, writes 3000 word piece praising Redskins free agency moves that is copied nearly word for word the next day by Paul Daugherty).

Thank you. You put into words what I've been feeling but couldn't distill down to an understandable sentence. Why do we take football players, and tell them to go through a bunch of track events, then say, "You're not too good at those track events, you must not be too good at football?" It's retarded. Look at the film, the guy is a football player.

The combine and on-campus workouts were made for skill athletes. This fat guy was a great college blocker, under two different coaching regimes. There is no reason to believe he won't be great under a third coaching regime.

He is not in a football program right now. He doesn't have a lifting a workout schedule to follow. He doesn't have the paperwork regarding those workouts to turn in. He's simply not in a program right now, thus there is no one to be accountable to right now. He clearly needs that structure, and has thrived when he's had it. Trainers you hired to get you in shape aren't the same as working out at a team facility with your teammates and strength coaches.

He'll thrive again, and I hope it's in stripes after we trade down and snag him with, say, the 15th pick.

I agree...and disagree

The thought is correct: Track Star does not equal OT, and vice-versa.

The concern is that there is a level of preofessionalism that is missing here. When preparing for the portion of life that will determine your career, the guy has resorted to overeating/undertraining his way out of te first round and a significant amount of $. How will he react to the small towels and non-reinforced commodes at PBS? with Disdain and contempt?

Bottom line is: PASS

why roll the dice on a non-professional minded guy who'd rather show his disinterst by loafing his way around the key workouts of is life.

I won't be convinced he is suitable for the next level with this approach.

-5.28 who expected him to run fast...plus oher and monroe only ran 5.23's....

-19 reps okay that's pretty bad but oher had 21 and is gets praised about his athleticism

-looked fat and not best of shape ...Everyone knew this when he was playing college ball but still considered him the best tackle in the draft...

Can the Bengals risk taking a player at #6 who's best position in the NFL is RG? People continue to mention his play last season or his "tape" (still wondering where a scouting tape can be viewed and hoping "tape" isn't highlights reels on YouTube), but 'Dre is not going to be blocking 235-pound defensive ends and 19-year olds. Nor is he going to be on a team that runs the football 70% of the time, as they do at Alabama.

Considering that most are saying this is his 2nd failed performance in a month, I don't think this kid is draftable as a Top 10 player. There are too many holes and questions, and even if you eliminate those, he projects as a an RG/RT type. It is absolutely amazing that there are people that still want us to take Andre Smith as the #6 player overall in the draft. For what it's worth, I'd rather for the Bengals make a major reach on Beatty, Oher, Britton or even the best C, if we are hell-bent on selecting an offensive lineman. Futhermore, some of you know what I think about Rey and I'd rather see us take him before Smith...by a longshot.

Teams that miss in selecting offensive linemen in the Top 10 have a difficult time recovering from those missed picks. A good example of that is Robert Gallery in Oakland, who was thought to be a prototypical LT and ended up being a RG at the NFL level. The Raiders were not only stuck with a salary that didn't match his position, but had to find a player to play the position that they believed he would be playing for the next decade. That equals at least 2 wasted picks or 1 wasted pick and 1 FA signing that the team had to make to compensate for Gallery's failure.

Missing on Smith would set the Bengals back 6 seasons. The risk/reward gamble doesn't work in his favor, due to his upside....

Even for the Bengals.