Goodwill gesture could earn team county's gratitude

Ox

Goodwill gesture could earn team county's gratitude

By Paul Daugherty • pdaugherty@enquirer.com

• January 25, 2009

Hamilton County would be better off financially with Paul Brown Stadium in mothballs. The landlord would be more solvent with an empty apartment building. Not that we're pushing for that. We're just presenting the case as it stands today. Burn the village to save it.

Without the Bengals, the county would save the money it pays for utilities, for the 30 full-time people it employs there during football season, for every lightbulb, paper clip and roll of paper towels. Because Hamilton County is on the hook for everything at the stadium, it costs more to run the place than to have it vacant.

That was some deal the commissioners struck, back in 1997.

The lease between the Bengals and Hamilton County is a noose around the county's financial neck, and every day it tightens a little more. The county always will be able to meet its stadium obligations: All other promises made are close to being broken.

"On our current course, the obligations start to be greater than the money coming in," is how county commissioner David Pepper puts it.

Translation: That property tax rebate? Forget it. The $10 million promised annually to schools, scheduled to start in 2010, already delayed from 2006? Obligations to the Reds and Bengals, involving maintenance of their stadiums? Well, uh ...

"In a couple years, the stadium fund is going to be ugly," said Pepper. "The revenues have been south for quite some time."

Things can be done, Pepper says. They depend mostly on the beneficence of Mike Brown.

Next question.

"If (the Bengals) would be a helpful partner so there's a way out of this ...," Pepper says. He doesn't want to antagonize. Pepper understands Brown's reluctance. A deal is a deal. Besides, the county sued Mike Brown, didn't it? Why would he be in a (for)giving mood?

"They don't have to do anything,'' Pepper says.

Ah, but they could.

Brown's not obligated, legally. The lease "is airtight," Pepper concedes. Brown caught the county and the fans at a ripe moment, when the economy was good and the NFL was in full extortion mode. Paul Brown Stadium wasn't the only tax-funded palace built during that time.

Blackmailing cities to fund stadiums was among former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's top priorities. He did very well.

The Bengals didn't do bad, either. After upfront payments for construction and rent, the Bengals control everything at PBS: Advertising, parking, concessions, suites, etc. They pay for none of the upkeep.

If Marvin Lewis decided tomorrow that the hedges surrounding the practice fields were too short to provide adequate cover, county workers would be there with shovels. Carpet worn in the club lounge? Water main break in the men's room? Call the county.

If a high school game is played on the field, the Bengals get the money. When Cirque du Soleil camped out in the lot next door, the Bengals got the parking. Naming rights? Great idea. The money would go to the Bengals.

Pepper would seek a little flexibility. He'd like a mulligan on the lease.

Mike Brown isn't receptive at the moment. Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said Friday the club would have no comment, beyond what Brown told The Enquirer's Peter Bronson more than a week ago. Brown said he felt like the "scapegoat" for the county's problems. He has a point.

However ...

The man perceived to be wearing the black hat could come riding in on a white horse. Mike Brown couldn't save the day. He could make it better. The Bengals president is seen as a guy with his hand perpetually outstretched, palm up. The image does bother him.

Here's what he could say:

"This community is suffering. I live in this community. I'm grateful for what the community has done for me and my family. Let's see what the Bengals can do to help."

It's not Mike's problem. He could offer some of the solution, though. Isn't that what good corporate citizens do?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009012...ZkuwTiWir+OY%3D

Seriously. This is the guy who won't hire a GM for a couple million who actually knows what the hell he's doing so that Mikey will get a better return on the $100+ million he spends on player salaries. The guy who won't hire better doctors for, say, another million to take better care of the $100+ million he spends on players. The guy who won't hire a few scouts which would allow him to get more out of the draft and lower-end FAs, allowing him to get more wins out of those player salaries he pays.

No, when we have a guy who won't spend a little money to help himself make more money, why the hell would he spend more money just to be seen as a nice guy?

Paul Daugherty eats dick-shaped crackers.....and writes the dumbest articles.

The lease is iron-clad, but.....

He has no reason to do this, but....

Yes, the county did sue Brown, but....

BTW, Mike Brown could give the county half of the Bengals profits for the next twenty years and it would earn him zero gratitude from the county, from Daugherty, or from disgruntled Bengal fans. Indeed, the gesture would likely earn him little more than further ridicule, scorn, and scads of behind the back snickers from the very people who would line up to accept the money.

All things considered, Paul Daugherty has to be the dumbest man in Cincy.

The saddest part is the $ the schools won't apparently see. Mike Brown feeling charitable? Pfft. Cmon.

Maybe instead of spending millions on a fountain square renewal, which basically ended up as a project that moved the fountain a few feet and putting a TV screen up, they could've used that $ to help their budget, for starters (at least the city).

The stadium deals NFL teams have are pretty sickening, one of the most profitable businesses with hundreds, if not thousands (over time) of multi-millionaire employees, and billionaire owners, and they still want tax dollars hand over fist.

As noted Brown is simply too frugal and cheap, and does not seem to want to expand or vary his revenue streams in any way, to help create a better product. He's lazy and content with his secured wealth and family operation.

BTW, Mike Brown could give the county half of the Bengals profits for the next twenty years and it would earn him zero gratitude from the county, from Daugherty, or from disgruntled Bengal fans. Indeed, the gesture would likely earn him little more than further ridicule, scorn, and scads of behind the back snickers from the very people who would line up to accept the money.

Hair, say what you want about Doc and his articles but please keep your hateful attitude toward the people of Cincinnati to yourself.

It might lessen the overall level of contempt. But you're right, there's only one thing that will lessen the total number of snickers, scorn, and ridicule. That would be actually winning some damned games.

Hair, say what you want about Doc and his articles but please keep your hateful attitude toward the people of Cincinnati to yourself.

I hate to risk further damaging your delicate sensibilities, but a quick glance was enough to prove what I already knew, that I hadn't said anything hateful about the people of Cincinnati.

Did he say something wrong ?? If so, I fail to see it. As for hating on people from Cincinnati, I don't see that there either, but (and I'm from Cincinnati) it wouldn't be that hard to fathom...

Did he say something wrong ?? If so, I fail to see it. As for hating on people from Cincinnati, I don't see that there either, but (and I'm from Cincinnati) it wouldn't be that hard to fathom...

Apologies all around if I misinterpreted Hair's post. I understood him to say that the people of Cincinnati would eagerly take undeserved handouts from Mike Brown but would just turn around and stab him in the back. Seemed unflattering. Perhaps he was just referring to City Coucil/local media?

I sort of regretted writing that as soon as I sent it, though. In my defense I've got baby-brain from mid-night childcare duties.

"It's not Mike's problem. He could offer some of the solution, though. Isn't that what good corporate citizens do?"

I don't know, is that what good corporate citizens do?

Good corporations, at least any corporation that I'd care to work for or own stock in, concentrate on making money and keeping their employees employed.

There are entities that offer free money, goods, and services to people, communities, etc. Those entities are called charities.

You know who should be the real "good corporate citizen" in Cincinnati? Gannett Co., Inc. They own the Enquirer, and have annual revenue of about $1.6 billion. That's a lot more than the Bengals make, and puts them in the best position to help the community.

Gannett is required by law to pay the same taxes everyone else pays. They should look at whatever taxes they pay the county, and just quadruple it. See? It's that easy. Someone writes it down in black and white somewhere and it immediately becomes a viable idea. Daughtery is a genius, I didn't realize solving the county's financial difficulties would be as easy as sitting on my ass and deciding who should pay for our public infrastucture and services.

"It's not Mike's problem. He could offer some of the solution, though. Isn't that what good corporate citizens do?"

I don't know, is that what good corporate citizens do?

Good corporations, at least any corporation that I'd care to work for or own stock in, concentrate on making money and keeping their employees employed.

There are entities that offer free money, goods, and services to people, communities, etc. Those entities are called charities.

You know who should be the real "good corporate citizen" in Cincinnati? Gannett Co., Inc. They own the Enquirer, and have annual revenue of about $1.6 billion. That's a lot more than the Bengals make, and puts them in the best position to help the community.

Gannett is required by law to pay the same taxes everyone else pays. They should look at whatever taxes they pay the county, and just quadruple it. See? It's that easy. Someone writes it down in black and white somewhere and it immediately becomes a viable idea. Daughtery is a genius, I didn't realize solving the county's financial difficulties would be as easy as sitting on my ass and deciding who should pay for our public infrastucture and services.

You're right that a publicly owned company owes its profits to stockholders, but Mike Brown is the private owner of the Bengals. Therefore, all profits go to Mike and whichever other family members own stock in the team. Wealthy individuals/families routinely set up charities and foundations and use their wealth to contribute to the community in many positive ways. Often this can be an excellent means of building goodwill within a community and building the image of ones business (see: Gates, Bill and Melinda). As far as I know, the Brown family runs no such foundation, although I did find this from just last year. Anyone know of other ways the Brown family sows back into the community that has supported them for 40+ years?

From the Courier article: “You ask, and Mike Brown delivers,” Director of Cincinnati Parks Willie Carden said of the Bengals president.

Maybe all the community need do is ask. As Doc suggested.

It might lessen the overall level of contempt. But you're right, there's only one thing that will lessen the total number of snickers, scorn, and ridicule. That would be actually winning some damned games.

We all want the Bengals to win more games.

But winning more games wouldn't make Daugherty's idea less ridiculous or pie-eyed stupid.

Start with this one. Is the idea realistic?

We're already done, aren't we?

Or do you give credence to an idea that asks someone to surrender several million fairly earned dollars for any reason whatsoever?

No, you probably don't.

And how about the goodwill Daugherty offers in return?

Who amongst us thinks there would be any?

And should any gratitude be mustered...who thinks it would last longer than a day?

Finally, exactly where is this gratitude supposed to come from?

From the local politicos who for years and years refused to drop a meritless lawsuit?

f**k 'em.

Or perhaps from a sportswriter who has spent more than a decade writing poisonous personal attacks directed at...(wait for it)....Mike Brown.

Well, f**k him, too.

Or do you give credence to an idea that asks someone to surrender several million fairly earned dollars for any reason whatsoever?

No, you probably don't.

You're right. That NEVER happens...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articl...or_Success.aspx

"With the help of the Ravens All Community Team Foundation, owner Steve Bisciotti, cornerback Chris McAlister and the NFL Youth Football Fund, Mervo officially christened Art Modell Field at Mergenthaler Vocational Technical High School Thursday, just in time to begin practice for the 2008 season.

The field features Sportexe turf (like that of M&T Bank Stadium), additional bleachers, a ticket booth structure and restroom and concession improvements in renovations totaling $1 million."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/community/com...ty_jonesAYF.cfm

"The Gene and Jerry Jones Family Arlington Youth Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of the youth of the City of Arlington by funding programs and facilities dedicated to sports, recreation and education while working to foster the growth and empowerment of the community through matching grants."

http://www.rwmrf.org/about.html

"The Ralph Wilson Medical Research Foundation was established in 1999 by Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., and is dedicated to supporting innovative, high risk/high impact biomedical research. The Foundation has contributed over $10,000,000 to the effort since its inception..."

etc, etc.

You're right that a publicly owned company owes its profits to stockholders, but Mike Brown is the private owner of the Bengals. Therefore, all profits go to Mike and whichever other family members own stock in the team. Wealthy individuals/families routinely set up charities and foundations and use their wealth to contribute to the community in many positive ways.

It's the same thing. Publicly owned or privately owned corporation, the profits go to the owners. Any CEO owes a fiduciary duty to the corporation. That means he must exercise the power and discretion of his office as dictated by the best interests of the corporation. If the CEO of a publicly held corporation did what Daughtery was idiotically suggesting, that CEO would get fired by the Board then get sued by the shareholders. Yet Mike Brown should do such a thing?

Those charities you cited are just that, charities. They exist to help the community. And I don't think most, if any, charities exist to allow municipal corporations to live beyond their means. They usually help people or specific causes. I doubt Bill Gates is going to show up and see that the City is $20 million in arrears and just hand over a check for that amount. Got public health issues? OK, charities are there. Can't figure out how to fund your woefully underperforming public education system? You're probably on your own. Unless a dimwitted sportswriter can figure out how to convince Snerdly McNasty, the most hated man in town, to take a break from tying damsels to various train tracks long enough to just hand over millions to the county.

Wealthy individuals/families routinely set up charities and foundations and use their wealth to contribute to the community in many positive ways. Often this can be an excellent means of building goodwill within a community and building the image of ones business (see: Gates, Bill and Melinda).

So acts of charity don't build goodwill unless you formally attach your name to them?

As far as I know, the Brown family runs no such foundation, although I did find this from just last year.

Feel better? Or perhaps you feel Mike Brown should have given more?

Anyone know of other ways the Brown family sows back into the community that has supported them for 40+ years?

A 30-second tour of the most official website produced links to three charities.

Just saying....

I agree that this is not one of Doc's better columns.

But as far as him bad mouthing Brown... one winning season in 18 years with no playoff wins and no plans for change.

Badmouth away, Doc. Badmouth away.

Also worth noting though is that the more success the Bengals have, the less badmouthing. Have a look at Doc's 2005 columns. Not much venom there. Ecstatic would be pretty accurate.

This whole sports town is BEGGING for something to cheer about. You saw what happened in 2005. EVERYBODY was on board. Even those of us who knew it was just a mirage. We didn't care, we were just happy to soak up the mirage as long as it could last.

But reality. Mike Brown is milking this town to the tune of record profits. And the key to his profit margin is making sure the bare minimum of resources are used, and corners that can be cut, must be cut. That is the foundation of Mike Brown's profit, and it is therefore the team philosophy. And its a LOUSY philosophy. In today's NFL that means little or no chance of success.

Badmouth away, Doc.

But as far as him bad mouthing Brown... one winning season in 18 years with no playoff wins and no plans for change.

Actually, I'd say it was one of Doc's better offerings, and there's the problem.

Furthermore, the fact that you support this type of crap sportswriting is exactly why you keep getting it.

Actually, I'd say it was one of Doc's better offerings, and there's the problem.

Furthermore, the fact that you support this type of crap sportswriting is exactly why you keep getting it.

Again, look at 2005.

Crap sports writing because of the crap teams.

I don't understand where you are coming from here. You don't want to be lied to, but there are really only so many synonyms for the work "suck." ;)

Again, look at 2005.

Crap sports writing because of the crap teams.

It's crap sportswriting because that's what you get from a crap sportswriter. Throw in a crappy team to write about and the only thing that changes is how easily some fans will gladly swallow the crap sportswriting in some belief the crap writer is somehow speaking for them. Which is crap, of course.

I don't understand where you are coming from here. You don't want to be lied to, but there are really only so many synonyms for the work "suck." ;)

Then say they suck and let the words lie there like a steaming pile. It is what it is. But don't blame the man for the weather, butt cancer, or the crappy local economy. Why not you may ask? Because grossly overreaching only weakens your own rant. It makes you look stupid.

Furthermore, don't make a scapegoat out of the only person at the bargaining table who knew what he was doing that day. Blame the other guys. Blame your own freaking advocates. Stop howling at the moon.

Also worth noting though is that the more success the Bengals have, the less badmouthing. Have a look at Doc's 2005 columns. Not much venom there. Ecstatic would be pretty accurate.

I don't know, I'm finding that hard to admire.

When the Bengals play badly, Daugherty is yelling, "They suck! They suck! They suck!"

And when the Bengals are playing well, he's yelling, "They're great! They're great! They're great!"

I can see all that for myself. What I'd like is some insight into what's going on. Daugherty provides none. I swear he could spend 30 minutes a day on his column. He just doesn't try. If he were a poster in here he'd be a guy who joined in every thread, and regardless of the topic, wrote, "One winning season in 18 proves we're all doomed. Bengals suck." Ok for a message board, but everyone expects more out of a sports columnist at a daily in a major city.

He should be writing substantive stuff about the coaching staff changes that could be made. He could be writing about the pros and cons of potential draft picks. He could be writing about what positions need help. He could be writing about the probable effects of the cba expiration on contract negotiations.

But all those topics would require research and work. And since Doc long ago decided the Bengals are doomed, there's no point to doing all that work and writing all those stories. Pretty convenient, eh? Better to just sit back and lob grenades at PBS. And a whole lot easier.

I don't know, I'm finding that hard to admire.

When the Bengals play badly, Daugherty is yelling, "They suck! They suck! They suck!"

And when the Bengals are playing well, he's yelling, "They're great! They're great! They're great!"

Yep. That's 18 "they sucks" and 1 "they're great for a change, I hope they keep it up" which they didn't, but who is counting...

I can see all that for myself. What I'd like is some insight into what's going on.

That's what he is telling you. The same thing Chad, TJ, Dillon, Spikes, Lee Johnson, etc etc etc have said. Mike Brown is continuing to run things as he always has, and therefore, the Bengals will continue to fail.

I swear he could spend 30 minutes a day on his column. He just doesn't try.

I agree with you there. But then again, the Reds and Bengals don't try very hard either. Try getting motivated about someone who isn't motivated.

He should be writing substantive stuff about the coaching staff changes that could be made.

Why? Won't happen. Might as well write about unicorns and mermaids.

He could be writing about the pros and cons of potential draft picks.

The pro is that they might have talent when they get drafted. The cons is even if they are talented, the handicaps in place here will probably make him a bust, one way or another. Kinda boring topic though I would think.

He could be writing about what positions need help.

Umm all of them. Including QB.

He could be writing about the probable effects of the cba expiration on contract negotiations.

In an uncapped NFL, the Bengals will slip from laughingstock to afterthought. Like the Yankees playing a minor league team. Each game will be THAT relevant. Unless someone here thinks Mike Brown will suddenly open his wallet.

But all those topics would require research and work.

Not really. And all the topics you mentioned actually have been covered ad naseum by Hobson, the Enquirer, and everyone else.

And since Doc long ago decided the Bengals are doomed,

Doc didn't make that decision. See the corner office down at PBS for that blame game.

there's no point to doing all that work and writing all those stories. Pretty convenient, eh? Better to just sit back and lob grenades at PBS. And a whole lot easier.

I agree that he is coasting. And he probably is paid very well too. But hey somebody has to do it. At least he is honest. Beats the heck out of some head in the sand "which difference maker will the Bengals sign in free agency" fluff piece.

Some people like those I guess...just not my thing.

If he were a poster in here he'd be a guy who joined in every thread, and regardless of the topic, wrote, "One winning season in 18 proves we're all doomed. Bengals suck."

I'm guessing when each of us read the above more than 90% of us mentally flashed on the same avatar.

He should be writing substantive stuff about the coaching staff changes that could be made. He could be writing about the pros and cons of potential draft picks. He could be writing about what poitions need help. He could be writing about the probable effects of the cba expiration on contract negotiations.

He could be writing the next great American novel or obituaries...it doesn't matter. He sucks at what he does AND he admits to it. Openly admits he stopped caring or trying long ago. But rather than quit Daugherty just keeps plugging away because he's too stupid to do anything else or too lazy to try.

Find a replacement. It shouldn't be hard.

It's crap sportswriting because that's what you get from a crap sportswriter. Throw in a crappy team to write about and the only thing that changes is how easily some fans will gladly swallow the crap sportswriting in some belief the crap writer is somehow speaking for them. Which is crap, of course.

Are they printing lies? Nope. Just unpleasant truths. And the usual rant thrown in. Better than wizzing down our necks and telling us it is raining. Although perhaps many would prefer this.

Then say they suck and let the words lie there like a steaming pile. It is what it is. But don't blame the man for the weather, butt cancer, or the crappy local economy. Why not you may ask? Because grossly overreaching only weakens your own rant. It makes you look stupid.

Furthermore, don't make a scapegoat out of the only person at the bargaining table who knew what he was doing that day. Blame the other guys. Blame your own freaking advocates. Stop howling at the moon.

I agree with you there. What motivation does Mike Brown have to open his pocketbooks? Zero. To write about any other possibility is the same thing as writing about unicorns, mermaids, the Bengals signing a difference maker, or any other work of fiction. Howling at the ineptitude, plain and simple.

I like it better when he writes about other things besides the Bengals. Its probably hard not to sound Groundhog Day (the Bengals) when the subject matter is Groundhog Day (the Bengals)