Receiving Corps

Clackwoods

WR Situation  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What should be do about our WR situation if TJ leaves?

• Trade Chad and draft a first or second round WR
    • Keep Chad Get a high priced FA not named TJ
    • Leave it alone
    • Keep Chad and use the money saved by letting TJ leave and get a FA RB such as Derrick Ward and get a low level WR as insurance

With the possibility that we lose TJ to FA we need to examine our WR situation.

We have:

Chad Johnson (may or may not get traded)

Chris Henry (who knows how long he will be out of jail)

Andre Caldwell (Shows potential two be a solid number 2 receiver at worst number 3)

Jerome Simpson (I am not sure, I didn't see or hear much from him)

Now I don't really feel to good about this especially if we trade Chad. So if trade Chad do we do select another WR in the first round to replace him? Perhaps Harvin from Florida. If we don't get rid of him here are some options, tell me what you think:

Sign a higher end FA wide receiver such as Marvin Harrison, Antonio Bryant

Sign a mid level FA wide receiver

Just go with who we got.

Tell me what you think

We have:

Andre Caldwell (Shows potential two be a solid number 2 receiver at worst number 3)

Now I don't really feel to good about this especially if we trade Chad. So if trade Chad do we do select another WR in the first round to replace him? Perhaps Harvin from Florida. If we don't get rid of him here are some options, tell me what you think:

Just go with who we got.

Tell me what you think

I'm a little confused by the poll -- are options 2 and 4 supposed to include a trade of Chad as well...?

We have:

Just go with who we got.

Tell me what you think

I'm a little confused by the poll -- are options 2 and 4 supposed to include a trade of Chad as well...?

Sorry about that, I clarified it. Their is only one option where we trade Chad which would mean we would let Chad and TJ go in the same season. I think they didn't trade Chad last year because they knew they were not going to resign TJ. I still don't understand why the hell they would Franchise a backup lineman, but let a top 5 receiver leave. 31 isn't that old for a receiver like TJ who uses great route running to get his catches and yardage.

I'd rather trade Chad and keep TJ for another year or maybe even get him to sign a new deal. Not sure about the cap implications of that. Not keen on keeping Chad around, regardless of what happens with TJ. A veteran is only helpful if he isn't a f**king twat and helps the younger players and team as a whole.

Derek Ward would be a good pick up. Not sure if he or Benson would be first choice but both would be reliable RBs. Not game breakers but hopefully in terms of clock management etc. Would allow us to address other needs in the draft.

Keep any WR willing to block his butt off in the running game. Dump anyone who won't.

Hear hear.

Bye Chad!

Seriously -- in my opinion, it's time to turn the page on these guys. I like 'em both but neither wants to be here. Let's make this offseason about building a running game. Rebuild/reinforce the line; get a solid FB; sign a healthy tailback. And teach Simpson/Caldwell/whomever how to block.

You can eliminate the option of taking a wide receiver in the first round.

I fear I already know whose name gets called at six.

:sadwalk:

I just don't see it. Sure, he's the juggernaut bitch when he gets going... but his injury history is going to bring his grade down significantly. He couldn't even finish the Fiesta Bowl. That's two injuries this season that cost the Buckeyes games. If the Bengals were picking at #15 I'd probably be concerned, but I don't see them taking Beanie at #6.

You can eliminate the option of taking a wide receiver in the first round.

I fear I already know whose name gets called at six.

:sadwalk:

I just don't see it. Sure, he's the juggernaut bitch when he gets going... but his injury history is going to bring his grade down significantly. He couldn't even finish the Fiesta Bowl. That's two injuries this season that cost the Buckeyes games. If the Bengals were picking at #15 I'd probably be concerned, but I don't see them taking Beanie at #6.

Agreed. RB's outside of freaks like AP and DM can't really be considered top ten picks anymore because of all the talent that can be found in the later rounds and the talent available via FA. I would really like to sign Derrick Ward because he is a great back out of the backfield. He would make a good tandem back with Benson.

Also, is anyone interested in signing Pacman? I know his history, but this team seems to like trouble guys so maybe we will bring him in. IMO I say no, but with Brown you never know.

but his injury history is going to bring his grade down significantly. He couldn't even finish the Fiesta Bowl.

He could never stay healthy in the three years he was here. And just as damning, when he was healthy he couldn't stay in games. He's play five or six plays, then take himself out for 3 or 4 plays to recover. I don't know what it is about him. Often those breaks came after he had helped drive the offense down the field, so he'd take himself out. Not just fatigue, but he sometimes just got dinged. Some random strain or pain, and he'd have to come out for a couple plays.

And here I thought derek, clack & COB had been Bengals fans for a while.

You do know who makes the calls on draft day, right?

We are DOOMED, I tell you, DOOMED!

:giljotiini:

Honestly I think if he does take a RB with our first rounder it will be Knowshawn Moreno. The kid is a freak RB and I would love to have him, but he will probably end up in New York with the Jets

Agreed. RB's outside of freaks like AP and DM can't really be considered top ten picks anymore because of all the talent that can be found in the later rounds.

I will disagree with you just a little bit here. It is often assumed that top tier RB's can be found in the 3rd round of the draft these days. This became a belief based on Terrell Davis, and the subsequent no-name RB's that the Broncos brought in and turned into stars.

However, if you look at the top RB's in today's NFL, a very high percentage of them are 1st rounders.

More than half of the top 20 RB's this season were taken in the 1st round. 3 were taken in the 2nd round. 3 were taken in the 3rd round. only one was undrafted. It's pretty uncommon to find high caliber RB's in places other than the 1st round anymore.

That said... the Bengals have a 1st round RB in Cedric Benson... so say no to Beanie Wells!

Agreed. RB's outside of freaks like AP and DM can't really be considered top ten picks anymore because of all the talent that can be found in the later rounds.

I will disagree with you just a little bit here. It is often assumed that top tier RB's can be found in the 3rd round of the draft these days. This became a belief based on Terrell Davis, and the subsequent no-name RB's that the Broncos brought in and turned into stars.

However, if you look at the top RB's in today's NFL, a very high percentage of them are 1st rounders.

More than half of the top 20 RB's this season were taken in the 1st round. 3 were taken in the 2nd round. 3 were taken in the 3rd round. only one was undrafted. It's pretty uncommon to find high caliber RB's in places other than the 1st round anymore.

That said... the Bengals have a 1st round RB in Cedric Benson... so say no to Beanie Wells!

You are right, but the league is built on what have you done for me lately mentality. The Titans got a great back at the bottom half of the first round, the Texans got an awesome runner in the 3rd round I believe. The Bears picked up a great back in the second round. The Giants got Bradshaw in the 7th round. The Ravens got Ray Rice in round 2 who was having a great first half of the year. The Cards got Hightower in the fifth round.

Ever since the league has went to the two back system dominated league that it is now running backs are easier to get because a lot of guys can't carry a full load but when you put them back their half the time they can be very effective. THe high draft pick guys like Lynch, AP, DM, Ronnie Brown are all every down backs that don't need to split carries. I think the Bengals will follow the trend in the league and do the multiback look and this will allow them to refrain from taking a back at 6.

More than half of the top 20 RB's this season were taken in the 1st round. 3 were taken in the 2nd round. 3 were taken in the 3rd round. only one was undrafted. It's pretty uncommon to find high calibre RB's in places other than the 1st round anymore.

Well, to be pedantic, you just sorta proved that assumption is correct. If you run a particular scheme or are just blessed to have a very good talent guy it is more than possible to find top tier starting calibre backs in the middle rounds - hell even "studs" every now and then. Depends on the draft of course. Last year was nuts with the number of middling-to-good RBs available. Even then, some RBs were taken ridonkulously high like that fella from Arkansas by the Cowboys even though they had more pressing issues to address. They ended up with a 4th rounder in Choice carrying the ball for them with little fuss, after their other 4th rounder was knackered with a toe injury or something.

Overall I think too much value is placed on RBs precisely because everyone wants that "super mega awesome RB" and they just aren't all that common. So most years quite serviceable RBs are taken higher than their actual value to a team.

RBs are so hit and miss too and the nature of their position regarding injuries, they can get s**t canned in the pre season. <_<

Much more prudent to get the O-line built up and if you manage to hit on a stub RB then all the better but if you aren't able to then your running game can still win you games. Good line plus a couple from this list (leaving this year's draft crazyness aside):

Portis, Betts, Westbrook, Huggy Bear Jr., Turner, Julius Jones, Turner, Ward, Gore, Barber, Jacobs, Sproles, White, Jones-Drew, Washington, Bradshaw. Even Rudi was a 4th rounder way back when.

would do me.

Alternatively you could look at the RBs taken in the first round in the same time frame. William Green, TJ Duckett, McGahee, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, Ronnie Brown, Benson, Cadillac Williams, The Bush you can support, Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai, AD, Lynch.

So in 6 years, 16 RBs taken in the first round. 4 are permanently injured or just plain old s**t or play for the Lions. The two lads from Auburn are good RBs but between them have been healthy for about one quarter of football in 3 seasons for Miami and Tampa. Ditto Steven Jackson. Larry Johnson has started a side career in domestic disputes having landed his big fat contract and just isn't all that bothered about playing for the Chiefs, not that I can blame him. Bush isn't a RB, let's be honest. McGahee has bounced back from his college injury and struggles in Buffalo to become a servicable RB at Baltimore, along side a college FB convert taken in the 4th round. We know about Benson. Maroney - yeah, Ok RB, no stud though. Same for Lynch. Will get you the yards but a standout talent? Fred Jackson seems to do OK for Buffalo when given a chance also. DeAngelo Williams, Addai and AD seem to be the most consistent (usual RB niggles and injuries aside) and biggest factors for their teams fo far.

2001 when LT was taken in the first round was probably the last time a truly spectacular RB was taken. In any round of the draft.

Sorry for the ramble. I have toothache and can't sleep

Wells is seemingly always banged up or ailing, after 3 years of college. I doubt he can make it suddenly be all healthy in the pros, with the intensity and all increasing.

however, last time a running back was picked at #6 (i think), his name was... Adrian Peterson. you know, the guy who rushed for 1700 yards and basically carried his team to the playoffs. funnily enough, there were concerns about his durability as well, but he got through this season alright (missed a few games last season though IIRC).

so, go with a safe, unspectacular LT at #6, or spend 60 really large ones on an RB with a bad injury history? judging by our team needs, LT all the way. Monroe, Oher or Smith, doesn't matter to me.

How about trade Chad for as much as you could get for him (probably at least a second), keeping TJ for at least one more season, and draft an OT, MLB, Center, in the first and second round. Go RB and DE with the next two...

Where do I sign up? :sure:

More than half of the top 20 RB's this season were taken in the 1st round. 3 were taken in the 2nd round. 3 were taken in the 3rd round. only one was undrafted. It's pretty uncommon to find high calibre RB's in places other than the 1st round anymore.

Well, to be pedantic, you just sorta proved that assumption is correct. If you run a particular scheme or are just blessed to have a very good talent guy it is more than possible to find top tier starting calibre backs in the middle rounds - hell even "studs" every now and then. Depends on the draft of course. Last year was nuts with the number of middling-to-good RBs available. Even then, some RBs were taken ridonkulously high like that fella from Arkansas by the Cowboys even though they had more pressing issues to address. They ended up with a 4th rounder in Choice carrying the ball for them with little fuss, after their other 4th rounder was knackered with a toe injury or something.

Overall I think too much value is placed on RBs precisely because everyone wants that "super mega awesome RB" and they just aren't all that common. So most years quite serviceable RBs are taken higher than their actual value to a team.

RBs are so hit and miss too and the nature of their position regarding injuries, they can get s**t canned in the pre season. <_<

Much more prudent to get the O-line built up and if you manage to hit on a stub RB then all the better but if you aren't able to then your running game can still win you games. Good line plus a couple from this list (leaving this year's draft crazyness aside):

Portis, Betts, Westbrook, Huggy Bear Jr., Turner, Julius Jones, Turner, Ward, Gore, Barber, Jacobs, Sproles, White, Jones-Drew, Washington, Bradshaw. Even Rudi was a 4th rounder way back when.

would do me.

Alternatively you could look at the RBs taken in the first round in the same time frame. William Green, TJ Duckett, McGahee, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, Ronnie Brown, Benson, Cadillac Williams, The Bush you can support, Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai, AD, Lynch.

So in 6 years, 16 RBs taken in the first round. 4 are permanently injured or just plain old s**t or play for the Lions. The two lads from Auburn are good RBs but between them have been healthy for about one quarter of football in 3 seasons for Miami and Tampa. Ditto Steven Jackson. Larry Johnson has started a side career in domestic disputes having landed his big fat contract and just isn't all that bothered about playing for the Chiefs, not that I can blame him. Bush isn't a RB, let's be honest. McGahee has bounced back from his college injury and struggles in Buffalo to become a servicable RB at Baltimore, along side a college FB convert taken in the 4th round. We know about Benson. Maroney - yeah, Ok RB, no stud though. Same for Lynch. Will get you the yards but a standout talent? Fred Jackson seems to do OK for Buffalo when given a chance also. DeAngelo Williams, Addai and AD seem to be the most consistent (usual RB niggles and injuries aside) and biggest factors for their teams fo far.

2001 when LT was taken in the first round was probably the last time a truly spectacular RB was taken. In any round of the draft.

Sorry for the ramble. I have toothache and can't sleep

You do know that in two seasons Adrian Petersen has rushed for 3100 yards and over 20 touchdowns right? I agree with everything you said accept that last part. AP is going to the hall of fame unless he gets Terrell Davis syndrome and washes out due to injury.