Mangenius Gets Cleveland Gig

Is it time to bump all of those stories about how the Browns would automatically be better off because they aren't afraid to fire people?

John Clayton, football elf, is yammering about how Mangenius is already talking to members of the Jets staff in regards to coming with. Best, Clayton claimed Mangenius has even approached Romeo Crennel about remaining on staff.

BTW, if you hire a new head coach a few days before you hire a new GM....what kind of GM are you going to get?

Best, Clayton claimed Mangenius has even approached Romeo Crennel about remaining on staff.

Yeah, I read that in the Plain Dealer report and laughed. How the h*ll is that supposed to work, especially after the way the Clowns tanked on Crennel at the end of the year?

BTW, if you hire a new head coach a few days before you hire a new GM....what kind of GM are you going to get?

The kind who gets to do whatever the Mangenius says, of course.

Again, isn't this the team that was supposed to have a brighter future simply because they weren't afraid to fire people? The same team who engaged in an impressive display of high profile grandstanding by chasing everyone from Bill Cowher, Scott Piolli and presumably the late great Vince Lombardi?

So who do they get?

Why, it's none other than the guy who smells of Brett Favre stench.

Oh, and very soon a patented "Powerless GM" to make the wheels go round.

Now factor in one of the very finest indoor practice facilities in the entire NFL and I think we can all agree why Paul Daugherty spends his days looking blankly out of his office window towards the vast frozen north.

Let's recap.

Browns hire ex-Patriot coordinator Romeo Crennell as new head coach.

Browns hire ex-Raven personnel guru Phil Savage as GM.

Begin rebuilding.

New season. Spin wheels.

New season. Spin some more.

New season. Wheels stop spinning. Traction achieved. And yet, while helplessly watching playoffs from home....team peaks.

Few notice.

New season. Spin again.

Season ends. Browns steal last place finish from Ryan Fitzpatrick led Bengals.

Everyone notices.

Bloody Monday(s).

All fall down. Go boom.

Browns begin rebuilding anew.

Browns hire ex-Patriot coordinator Eric Mangini as new head coach.

Browns expected to hire still Raven personnel guru George Kokinis to be the G.M.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Again, isn't this the team that was supposed to have a brighter future simply because they weren't afraid to fire people? The same team who engaged in an impressive display of high profile grandstanding by chasing everyone from Bill Cowher, Scott Piolli and presumably the late great Vince Lombardi?

So who do they get?

Why, it's none other than the guy who smells of Brett Favre stench.

Oh, and very soon a patented "Powerless GM" to make the wheels go round.

Now factor in one of the very finest indoor practice facilities in the entire NFL and I think we can all agree why Paul Daugherty spends his days looking blankly out of his office window towards the vast frozen north.

Here's a fun thought experiment:

Imagine the Daugherty column if what happened in Cleveland, happened instead in Cincinnati.

-- After the Chiefs game, Mike Brown cans Marvin and announces a search for the team's first GM.

-- Mike brings Scott Pioli, the Football Jesus, to town for an interview.

-- Then, Mike turns around and hires the one failed coach who guarantees that Pioli would never come here.

-- Instead, in classic nepotistic/cronyistic Bengals fashion, some buddy of the new HC will be hired in a "powerless GM" role.

I'm sure that would get Doc's stamp o' approval, eh? :rolleyes:

Imagine the Daugherty column if what happened in Cleveland, happened instead in Cincinnati.

That's fine, but your scenario would be judged by geeeky types as a 3rd Generation Counterfactual as each proposed change takes you farther and farther from the known. So try imagining a more simple ripping of the fabric of space and time. Simply change Daugherty's perspective by imagining him as hack sportswriter who covers the Browns. Everything else remains the same.

Does he still write a column speculating about the more noble motives and leadership of Cleveland's ownership? Or does he lazily shoot all of the fish in Randy Lerner's barrel?

I say he does the latter.

Thus, I say loudly to all of you gentle readers......Paul Daugherty eats dick shaped crackers.

This one just gets better and better.

Did anyone else catch yesterdays NFL Total Access?

Brutal.

In fact, the Browns decision to hire Mangenius was mocked and ridiculed as badly or worse than any head coaching hire I can quickly remember. I don't know when I've ever seen such a strong negative immediate reaction. Wow.

Nutshelled: Already a disaster that could very easily get worse if the search for a "Powerless GM" goes badly. And yeah, most think it already has.

Best of all, I think the whole issue of which nickname Mangini will be known by has been settled for once and always, and it won't be Mangenius OR Mangina.

He's Ballboy.

:lol::lol::lol:

So 2 fans of a team who haven't won a playoff game in 18 years, are poking fun at a franchise for hiring a lame HC, a powerless GM, and for building an indoor practice facility?

Pass that pipe fellas...

What are we, 6-2 against them in the last four years? All those resources don't seem to amount to much when they face off against the mighty Cincinnati Bengals!

I just looked it up. The Bengals are 12-8 against the Browns since they came into existence. Marvin is 8-4 against them.

When team A is clearly, demonstrably better than team B, team A's fans have every right to mock the futile flailings about by the hapless dimwits who run team B.

But that writer for the Cinci paper still thinks we should all envy Browns fans because their team has a swashbuckling management style, one not afraid to execute the daring maneuver that will bring a winner to the south bank of grand old Lake Erie.

Here's an audacious move for you; Keep your 4-11-1 coach when almost any other owner would fire him. Keep him because you recognize the great number of variables that go into a football season. Keep him even though to do so will undoubtedly subject you to more mocking, more derision from a frustrated press and fan base. Keep him even though simpletons at the local fishwrap are desperately looking for a scapegoat.

Who really is unafraid to pull off the intrepid move? Who doesn't know what they're doing and is blindly churning personnel in their organization? The Cleveland Browns, that's who.

To understand why Randy Lerner constantly, in conformity with most owners in the NFL, f**ks with his organization and makes brash, usually stupid, personnel moves, let's turn to noted football expert Henry Thoreau:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, (and Mike Brown - author's note) and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

Finally, in regards to Paul Doughtery, he knows nothing about football. His portrayal of the Browns as a model franchise because they courageously launch themselves into one massive change after another is the work of an intellectually lazy mind, or one with limited capacity for abstract thought. Let me put it this way; on Saturday mornings in the summer, the boldest, most aggressive, most assertive, most fearless golf swings I see are made by the worst golfers on the course.

Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, (and Mike Brown - author's note) and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

Wow... Mike Brown can now die a happy man. I never thought I would ever see his name mentioned with the others on that list - although at times I confess crucifixion had crossed my mind.

I understand the point, but still... comparing Mike Brown to those great men of history is the same as telling a retarded child he could be president (I guess it worked for Bush).

To understand why Randy Lerner constantly, in conformity with most owners in the NFL, f**ks with his organization and makes brash, usually stupid, personnel moves, let's turn to noted football expert Henry Thoreau.....

Yes, we could do that. Or we could consider the words of noted poet Mort, who recently observed...."Randy Lerner's greatest failing as an owner is his willingness to listen to his teams fanbase."

"Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

The above is so true, and begins to explain why so few people really seem to get me.