Cowher predicts Bengals make playoffs in 09!

That's what i was going to say, but since you don't know, I guess he didn't say...All i can think of was maybe he sees how the D has played recently, and knows that The Bengals always have a decent offense and that finishing last this year was an aboration...

I'm optimistic about next year as well. This may be the only thing I'll ever agree with Cowher on. A lot depends on whether we fire Dullkowski and get a better OC in here.

I think two factors went into it: Cowher knows we got better at the end of the year, and we beat losing teams. He's looking at our schedule and figuring if we can beat losing teams, we can win 10 games against the lineup we'll face next year. The second factor is the ususal commentator need to say something, anything, that will get attention.

In my opinion, the problem with his analysis is that in today's NFL, teams are so close that teams with very losing record one year can turn it around and be a good team the next year. Like this year. We were so worried about the big bad NFC East teams, and they didn't turn out to be all that big and bad.

I was more optimistic about next year before Cowher predicted playoffs for us. Since he's retarded and a force for evil in the world, my optimism has been downgraded to tempered optimism.

I'm watching the Miami/Baltimore game right now

Me too. That Baltimore defense is kicking sand in Miami's face. How can this happen to a team that was put together by genius/deity/man of mystery Bill Parcells?

I'd say Pennington throwing up picks like popcorn.

I'm watching the Miami/Baltimore game right now

Me too. That Baltimore defense is kicking sand in Miami's face. How can this happen to a team that was put together by genius/deity/man of mystery Bill Parcells?

Yeah butt...they are in the playoffs. I'd take that a$$ whooping over where we are at.

I'm optimistic about next year as well. This may be the only thing I'll ever agree with Cowher on. A lot depends on whether we fire Dullkowski and get a better OC in here.

I think two factors went into it: Cowher knows we got better at the end of the year, and we beat losing teams. He's looking at our schedule and figuring if we can beat losing teams, we can win 10 games against the lineup we'll face next year. The second factor is the ususal commentator need to say something, anything, that will get attention.

In my opinion, the problem with his analysis is that in today's NFL, teams are so close that teams with very losing record one year can turn it around and be a good team the next year. Like this year. We were so worried about the big bad NFC East teams, and they didn't turn out to be all that big and bad.

I was more optimistic about next year before Cowher predicted playoffs for us. Since he's retarded and a force for evil in the world, my optimism has been downgraded to tempered optimism.

Man, I really want to be optimistic too - but I really feel like I got snowed this year. I had a come-to-Jesus in week 3 and realized that fundamentally we hadn't really changed - we were still a team with leadership that doesn't know how to win. No leadership changes - no real hope for sustainable change. Any improvements we see going forward will be temporary.

Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame on me

I had a come-to-Jesus in week 3

Mine happened a bit earlier when Carson got beaten and bloodied in the preseason. It told me volumes of how big a mistake it was to franchise Andrews and release Willie was. The results speak for themselves.

Man, I really want to be optimistic too - but I really feel like I got snowed this year. ... No leadership changes - no real hope for sustainable change.

The statement that probably gave me the most hope was when Marvin said they were going to become a running team. Then I watched all season for them to turn into a running team. I guess saying it and doing it are two different things. Finally, the last three games they held the ball and ran over people.

If Bratkowski is here next year, he'll blow it. With Carson under center I don't think Brat can help himself. We'll revert to a finesse team and the AFC north will chew us up and spit us out.

If they bring in someone else as OC, get a center who can drive block, get a real fullback, and light a fire under their tight ends, I'm hopeful that the Bengals will run the ball next year.

More than anything, they need the offensive version of Zimmer. Modern pro athletes need kicked in the ass.

Man, I really want to be optimistic too - but I really feel like I got snowed this year. ... No leadership changes - no real hope for sustainable change.

The statement that probably gave me the most hope was when Marvin said they were going to become a running team. Then I watched all season for them to turn into a running team. I guess saying it and doing it are two different things. Finally, the last three games they held the ball and ran over people.

If Bratkowski is here next year, he'll blow it. With Carson under center I don't think Brat can help himself. We'll revert to a finesse team and the AFC north will chew us up and spit us out.

If they bring in someone else as OC, get a center who can drive block, get a real fullback, and light a fire under their tight ends, I'm hopeful that the Bengals will run the ball next year.

More than anything, they need the offensive version of Zimmer. Modern pro athletes need kicked in the ass.

Excellent point. With a guy like Carson Palmer, it is always tempting to try to pass yourself out of all your problems. We have seen that any such success is fleeting at best. Build Carson a defense and an above average OL and I like his chances.

They are a long ways away (personnel wise), but I would like to see a little more Phil Simms and a little less Kurt Warner. Altthough Mike Martz is tempting...

here is the link, if anyone hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.sportsline.com/video/player/pla...XoSU7z1HYofbpKw

My take?

Cowher is learning the trade. He finally understands that if he wants to continue to be a broadcaster, then he needs to find a way to tone down, or at least downplay his love for the Steelers. Marino played his entire career with the Dolphins. Not once (on-air) have a heard him gush about how awesome the Dolphins are. Even this season, from an analyst standpoint, Marino treats the Dolphins just like the other 31 teams.

I believe Cowher's playoff prediction for the Bengals next season had zero to do with the Bengals. I believe he made the prediction because he was advised that it would be wise to shake off the whole Steelers Homer persona.

Everybody knows Marino is a Dolphins fan, Boomer is a Bengals fan, Sharpe is a Ravens and Broncos fan, and of course Cowher is a Steelers fan. But Cowher now knows if he wants to be taken seriously, he can't wear his allegiance to the Steelers on his sleeve.

This was a career move by Cowher, plain and simple. Funny how so many Bengals fans are lapping it up too... ;)

I think Cowher now realizes how much he prefers being a member of the sports media community, and while planning his next career move he noticed all of the jobs that have suddenly opened up in Cincy. Consider....

The Chickster, promoted to local beat covering mall openings and church events.

Curnutted, apparently feeling intellectually stagnant, also shuffles off to the local beat desk but only after offering the intellectually stagnant excuse of wanting to spend more time with the family. I'm sure a future of even greater obscurity awaits him there.

And Paul Daugherty, braindead and tired....still collecting paychecks while going through the motions.

Trust me, Cowher has scanned the local landscape and sees how wide open things are in Cincy.....now that Marvin has won control of the pressroom by killing all of the local scribes.