Do we need a new fullback?

BlainThePain

Do you like Coats performance on the season and think he will become a quality fullback/H-back, or do you think fullback will be a major target in the second half of the draft this year?

We need an entire team. How much do you think the falcons would go for after this year?

After the embaressment that was the game on Sunday i think we need to worry about the O-line, D-line, LB core, CB core, Safeties, RB and TE before we start worrying about our FB's.

Do you like Coats performance on the season and think he will become a quality fullback/H-back, or do you think fullback will be a major target in the second half of the draft this year?

We need an entire team. How much do you think the falcons would go for after this year?

After the embaressment that was the game on Sunday i think we need to worry about the O-line, D-line, LB core, CB core, Safeties, RB and TE before we start worrying about our FB's.

Simmer down now,Nothing wrong with talking about fullbacks because it will be something adressed in FA or later rounds of the draft...it's not like blain said let's take a FB in round 2!!!!

If Bratkowski is back as OC, we need a fullback. If not, who knows? H-back?

Maybe idiot-Mikey will coach next year, and we'll run the single-wing. :D

Coates wouldn't be under suspicion here if he hadn't dropped that wide open touchdown pass. I mean really, in the grand scheme, who notices the fullback? Of course, if Coates could BLOCK, like a good fullback is expected to do, maybe other problems wouldn't have been so prevalent this year either.

Crap, if Coates could block and catch, he'd still be a TE.

Long answer to a short question--yes, add FB to the shopping list, but not too near the top. He isn't making or breaking our season by a long shot.

Seriously. This thread kind of makes me giggle.

Think of the Bengals as a patient that is in triage at the local ER. They are bleeding from several gun shot wounds to the chest and abdomen, and also suffered a closed head injury when their bullet riddled body fell off the second story balcony it was standing on to the cement below.

The doctors look the patient over and go:

"Hey! Is that a hangnail?"

That's the equivalent of noticing their fullback issue in light of everything else that is wrong with this team...

Think of the Bengals as a patient that is in triage at the local ER. They are bleeding from several gun shot wounds to the chest and abdomen, and also suffered a closed head injury when their bullet riddled body fell off the second story balcony it was standing on to the cement below.

That's the equivalent of noticing their fullback issue in light of everything else that is wrong with this team...

I can't agree. The lack of a true blocking FB is an important part of the reason our run game stinks so badly.

Of course, none of this would be a problem if Mikey hadn't cheaped out back in 2003 and had just paid Lo Neal. Instead, we let Neal (still playing) go, burn a fourth (!!) on a FB, then pay him a couple years later -- and finally cut him after he blimps out and gets hurt.

A by-the-numbers screwup. Pure Bengals, that.

I've got Blain's back on this one. I'd say not having a fullback is one of the more underrated reasons our running game has sucked this season -- especially when Perry has the ball. Coates has not been effective. However, I agree that how badly we need a new one depends on who our OC is going to be. If Brat is back next year I'd call it a high priority -- that's not to say we need to burn a high draft pick to find one, just need to make sure we do find an effective one in the draft of FA.

Disagree all you want, the last time they were in this sort of state, how did adding Lorenzo Neal help matters?

The Bengals were BAD with Neal, because, again, there were a million other issues that had to be addressed, and Neal was a band-aid on the finger while they bled out elsewhere.

Now, it WAS unfortunate that once they stemmed the bleeding elsewhere, they ripped off the band-aid, and then had to address it again, but, really, on a list of "concerns" I have about this off-season heading into next year, addressing fullback falls WAY down on the list.

I don't think you really disagree, hoosier, as you are advocating an UFA to address the issue. I certainly don't mind them being proactive at that point, or even very late in the draft, but "addressing fullback" better be nowhere near their insane heads in the first six rounds of the draft...

Disagree all you want, the last time they were in this sort of state, how did adding Lorenzo Neal help matters?

You mean replacing Clif Groce/Jeremi Johnson? Well, Neal helped to keep the run game on track, which is more than can be said for Coats.

In a way, the FB situation sort of sums how the Bengals have come full circle since the beginning of the decade. Back in 2001, Neal's signing in the wake of Groce's injury was a surprise. The team was built around Dillon and the running game, the FB got hurt -- and "lo" and behold the Bengals went out and got the best guy available, in fact a Pro Bowler! That was something virtually unheard of. Usually, the Bengals could be expected to pop in some scrub or at best sign some bargain-bin FA. Looking back, the signing was something of a harbinger.

Letting him go in 2003 was a sign, too, in hindsight. As you say, they re-opened a closed wound in order to save a few pennies (Lo wanted $1 million, they wanted to pay more like $700k...sheesh) and, of course, because of their never-ending quest for The Perfect Offense (Lo allegedly didn't have soft hands). Both those factors would come to play key roles in the post-2005 decline, as they let key guys go over money (Steinbach, Willie, O'Neal etc.) and kept junk like Chris Perry and Henry because of visions of SuperOffense dancing in their heads.

And so here we are in 2008. This time, when the FB got hurt -- or rather, showed up weighing more than Willie Anderson -- we got the usual stick-in-a-scrub strategy, with the usual FAIL result. The organization's mindset seems to be right back circa 2000. I'm sure that we'll be hearing about how we're only one or two players away annnnny day now...

Just to throw a name out there...Brock Bolen from Louisville. The kid has been a 3 year starter at Louisville and I believe played a lot his freshman year. Not only that but he is a local product from Valley View High School in Germantown. If he doesn't get drafted I think he would be worth a shot to bring in as an undrafted FA. 6'0" 238 LBs, not too light and not Larda*s Jeremi Johnson size either.

I'm NOT saying it's not a concern.

I AM saying that it is WAY down the list of concerns. That the bullet ridden body needs to be addressed in order of importance.

Sure, it's lower priority, but given that one can address any number of needs between UDCFA and veteran FA, this lesser concern can (should, really) also be addressed

Just because it is lower priority does not mean it should be ignored

6'0" 238 LBs, not too light and not Larda*s Jeremi Johnson size either.

Seems abit light for FB just most FB's I think of are in the 250-260 range jeremys problem was he played at that size but ballooned up in the of season...

If JJ could have just stayed 250-260 all year around there would be no problem.

I'm NOT saying it's not a concern.

I AM saying that it is WAY down the list of concerns. That the bullet ridden body needs to be addressed in order of importance.

Sure, it's lower priority, but given that one can address any number of needs between UDCFA and veteran FA, this lesser concern can (should, really) also be addressed

Just because it is lower priority does not mean it should be ignored

I didn't say to ignore it.

Discuss away. I guess I am just so struck by how heinous the line is, that discussions of the other needs on the team seem so remote. When they draft two Tackles with their first two picks, or a T and C, or a T and G, or something along those lines, then I will be ready to think about the non-mortal wounds...

I pray those wounds at DE are not mortal. If Sims continues to develop, they perhaps will not be. The mortal wound at SSLB still draws my attention, as does the need for a running mate for Sims at DT, as Peko is better suited as a rotation guy than a starter in my estimation...

I pray those wounds at DE are not mortal. If Sims continues to develop, they perhaps will not be. The mortal wound at SSLB still draws my attention, as does the need for a running mate for Sims at DT, as Peko is better suited as a rotation guy than a starter in my estimation...

I HATE to be the guy that says "the glass is half full", but......

Our defense would have been anywhere from good to very good IF WE COULD PRESSURE THE OPPOSING QB. We have what - 8 sacks in 13 games. That's pathetic. There are probably 8 or 10 Individual Players with more sacks this year.

Unfortuantely, we can't get a mid-rounder and develop him, because we have the worst D-Line Coach in the NFL (You here that Hayes, you piece of $h!t). So we need to get one early in thge draft. and they'll go like hot cakes 'cause it's not a strong year for them.

Top DE's

1st round = Brian Orakpo (Texas) & Greg Hardy (Mississippi)

2nd round = Tyson Jackson (LSU) & Auston English (Oklahoma)

Everyone else is either a rush LB for the 3-4 (George Selvie) or a project (Evans, Barwin, Shaughnessy)

I HATE to be the guy that says "the glass is half full", but......

Our defense would have been anywhere from good to very good IF WE COULD PRESSURE THE OPPOSING QB. We have what - 8 sacks in 13 games. That's pathetic. There are probably 8 or 10 Individual Players with more sacks this year.

Unfortuantely, we can't get a mid-rounder and develop him, because we have the worst D-Line Coach in the NFL (You here that Hayes, you piece of $h!t). So we need to get one early in thge draft. and they'll go like hot cakes 'cause it's not a strong year for them.

Top DE's

1st round = Brian Orakpo (Texas) & Greg Hardy (Mississippi)

2nd round = Tyson Jackson (LSU) & Auston English (Oklahoma)

Everyone else is either a rush LB for the 3-4 (George Selvie) or a project (Evans, Barwin, Shaughnessy)

We have needed a great DE for far too long. If you look at any good team in the NFL not only do they got atleast one sick DE to pressure the opposing QB but also a supporting cast on the line. Geathers and Odom are not the answer, but don't get me wrong once we let go of Geathers he'll go to a team like the vikings and flourish to a great DE.