Houshmandzadeh says either he or Chad will be gone in 2009

BengalszoneBilly

Personally I hope we keep Tourage and not Chad.

Houshmandzadeh says either he or Chad will be gone in 2009

The pass-catching tandem of T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson, together since Oregon State in 2000, may be splitting, according to a report in the Indianapolis Star and Houshmandzadeh.

"One way or another it will be, I think, whether it's him or me," he said of Cincinnati's impending offseason decisions.

Johnson, the flamboyant free spirit, is signed through 2011 but could be a salary cap casualty. His numbers have been reduced to about half of his norm by injuries and a one-game suspension. He has played well most of this year, but in the past, when he wasn't performing his signature touchdown celebrations, he was blasting his team and coach Marvin Lewis.

Houshmandzadeh, unique for his name and his ponytail, doesn't have a contract beyond this season despite leading the Bengals in catches for a third straight year and in receiving yards for a second straight. So the man who tied New England's Wes Welker with an NFL-best 112 catches last year on the way to the Pro Bowl is a bit edgy.

"Put yourself in my position. I just automatically assume I won't be here," Houshmandzadeh said. "If I stay here, great, I'll make it happen. And if I don't, I look forward to making it happen somewhere else.''

I don't think that the Bengals will be able to keep T.J. at 9 million, but the good thing is that the Bengals will not be competing with the entire league for a 32-year old (opening day '09) possession receiver on a multi-year contract. Not resigning Andrews at his 8 million dollar Franchise Tag will help, as will the cap money the Bengals will save next year in releasing Willie and Rudi. It will be interesting to see if Mike will keep to 30-something receivers at more than 15 million combined next year. Bengals history says that no way they keep both, though.

I take issue with this part:

"He has played well most of this year...."

WTF? Which games has this guy ben watching.

Chad has had a bad year. His bad attitude first leadin to poor conditioning, poor timing on getting his anlke fixed second and getting his shoulder jacked have all lead to this.

The man has lost his edge.

TJ will get tagged and they will keep Chad.

Then they will be "right up against the cap," and therefore "unable to participate in free agency."

Then Bill Murray wakes up to "I Got You Babe" on the radio.

Its that predictable.

Odom? Though not the greatest FA think most fans were shocked bringing him in...now maybe we could bring a friend of his this off season....

ya right Haynesworth is going to get at least 60million -_-

TJ will get tagged and they will keep Chad.

Then they will be "right up against the cap," and therefore "unable to participate in free agency."

Then Bill Murray wakes up to "I Got You Babe" on the radio.

Its that predictable.

I would agree that TJ will be tagged. You at least get the compensation if he should go elsewhere. But, I also would not rule out that both will be gone. I think it would be a mistake, but that wouldn't a first for this franchise, would it.

I don't think you can justify putting that much money into the position and the offense when your defense is on it's way in an upward direction and getting cheap in that regard would bring that upward mobility to an end.

Think about what would make the most sense...

Got it?

Then the opposite will happen because Mike Brown is as (football) smart as my left shoe...

If Chads back next season this team will be just as bad, with that cancer in the locker room this team will be screwed. This team needs more football players not more drama, and i would hope they would understand that, but by the looks of things i dont think they do.

After Dan Synder offered Mike Brown a 1st to take Chad off his hands, he won't do a trade that makes him look stupider to his NFL owners. Clearly Chad has dialed back his effort in an attempt to get out of town. To me the first sign the Bengals are serious about becoming competitive in the future is getting rid of Chad. Stars that dog it and get away with it just poison the entire team.

I actually think TJ and Chad will be back. TJ franchised and Chad still on contract.

This is TJ's version of a "don't tag me" campaign. Unlike Ocho Dippo, Housh is actually, y'know, smart, and extremely media-savvy. You know, I know, even Keiwan freakin' Ratliff knows they tag TJ next year. If they gave $9 million to average DE Justin Smith and $7.5 million to average (on a good day) RT Stacy Andrews, Housh -- who is actually one of the game's best receivers -- hasn't a hope in hell of escaping the franchise designation.

And even Housh knows it. Since going the "if they tag me I'll sit out the offseason" route has no value since Housh sits out the offseason all the time anyhow, he goes for the kinder, gentler approach. Then when he's tagged he can do the "more in sorrow than in anger" bit during all his NFL Network guest spots this spring. The carrot he's implicitly dangling is that a big new deal might get some more offseason participation out of him.