Marty's Recipe for Failure

COB

I was listening to Marty Schottenheimer on Sirius yesterday. They were talking about why the Raiders suck so bad, and also why the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game since 1996. The question was asked what is the predominant thing here in these organizations that is hurting them.

I wrote down what he said. My apologies to all other drivers on I-65 about 50 miles south of Chicago, my swerving was likely horrifying, but I wanted to get it down word for word. Here's the quote from Marty Schottenheimer, a coach I hold in the highest esteem not for his Xs and Os, but for his grasp of the intangibles, his ability to mold pro athletes into a team:

"If you want a recipe for failing, put your players in a position where they don't know where the buck stops. And if they don't, it creates a multitude of potential scenarios, none of which can be positive for the football team, if it's not the head coach."

We are f**king doomed.

"If you want a recipe for failing, put your players in a position where they don't know where the buck stops. And if they don't, it creates a multitude of potential scenarios, none of which can be positive for the football team, if it's not the head coach." --- Marty Schottenheimer

Of all of the Bengal players these words might apply to, and there are many, which name popped into your mind first...after reading the above?

"If you want a recipe for failing, put your players in a position where they don't know where the buck stops. And if they don't, it creates a multitude of potential scenarios, none of which can be positive for the football team, if it's not the head coach." --- Marty Schottenheimer

Of all of the Bengal players these words might apply to, and there are many, which name popped into your mind first...after reading the above?

Chris Henry. He knows where the buck stops and it's nowhere near the head coach.

Wait wait wait. We're asking *Marty Schottenheimer* about what it takes to win in the NFL? Is this a prank?

We're still talking about the guy who's 5-13 in the playoffs, correct? I mean, sure, if you want to know how to build a team for the regular season and then crash and burn in the playoffs, he's definitely your guy.

I mean, I like the message and all, and I don't disagree with him, but this is still funny as hell. Who should we ask next, Wade Phillips? Herm Edwards?

Wait wait wait. We're asking *Marty Schottenheimer* about what it takes to win in the NFL? Is this a prank?

Here's something that will really make you laugh.

Schottenheimer coached 20 full season in the NFL. Overall record of 200-126-1 (first season was partial, 4-4). So he averaged approximately 10-6 over 20 seasons.

Made the playoffs 13 seasons out of those 20. 8 division championships in those 13 playoff appearances.

Made it to 3 AFC Championship games. (Since he can't win playoff games he must have gotten a bye right to the championship game)

An argument could be made that a good number of those playoff losses were by teams that overachieved in the regular season to even make the playoffs.

Your opinion that won-loss record in the playoffs is what counts is shared by many.

For instance, San Diego fired Marty after the 2006 season and hired a coach you very likely endorse, Norv Turner. He has a playoff record of 3-2, so he's a winner.

The playoff winning coach who replaced Marty has coached ten seasons. Two playoff appearances in those ten seasons, one of which was the 2007 Chargers team Marty helped build. Norv's regular season record is 69-87-1. Yep, he averages a little less than seven wins a year.

The Chargers are 4-5 this year.

It sure is funny that anyone would listen to Marty Schottenheimer talk about how to win in the NFL. In 20 full seasons, Schottenheimer had a grand total of 3 losing records.

All Marty Schottenheimer does is win. So when he talks about what it takes to win in the NFL, yea, I'll listen to him.

We're still talking about the guy who's 5-13 in the playoffs, correct? I mean, sure, if you want to know how to build a team for the regular season and then crash and burn in the playoffs, he's definitely your guy.

I mean, I like the message and all, and I don't disagree with him, but this is still funny as hell. Who should we ask next, Wade Phillips? Herm Edwards?

I wish the Bengals were 5-13 in the playoffs. That would mean the Bengals would have played in 18 playoff games. I'm pretty sure the Bengals haven't been to 18 playoff games in their entire franchise history. Ole Marty did it in 20.

The secret word of the day is: perspective.

:P

Regardless of if we would listen or not(which I would) I don't think that MSchottenheimer is on the Bengals payroll and the only people MBrown is listening to are dead, as in presidents...

Loco Cinco was the first in my mind. Henry was the second.

So, who amongst us thinks this guy finally figured out where the buck stops?

"This is what I learned the most and this is for anyone else who is coming along after me. As an individual, no matter who you are, no matter how good you are, unless you play quarterback, you will never dictate or run any organization, ever. So don't ever pull what you just saw me pull in the offseason because you will lose. I don't know where I go from here." --- Chad "Bolla de Ocho" Johnson

Chris Henry. He knows where the buck stops and it's nowhere near the head coach.

I forgot he was on the team. :rolleyes:

I forgot he was on the team. :rolleyes:

Cheech didn't look like a football player today, just a big guy who can run. Everytime he was called on to make a football play, like fight a d back for the ball, he couldn't do it. Mike Brown is bad luck schleprock, everything he tries is a monumental failure.