Whitworth Fight

Kazkal

I'll be watching for the anti-Bengal bias from Goodell in the coming days. If Henderson and Whitworth get similar penalties, I will be outraged and will lose all faith that Goodell will ever be able to look at a situation with any deal of justice.

In my opinion, Whitworth shouldn't have even been ejected. However, that is excusable since it is possible the refs didn't see the blatant attempt at eye gouging on the part of Henderson. They probably just saw Henderson raking Whitworth's face, and Whitworth throwing punches. That is reasonable to send them both to their lockers.

But if I'm Goodell, Henderson gets more than a fine. He gets a multiple game suspension, and Whitworth gets nothing. His ejection is time served. Do they really expect a player to stand there and do nothing in retaliation when another player is in the middle of a criminal act of assault? Whitworth was merely protecting himself, his vision, his livelihood against a man who was viciously trying to rob him of it. If a security camera caught this on the street, Henderson goes to jail... Whitworth goes home. It's as simple as that.

I did not understand how it was third down after the melee. Wasn't a pass complweted on said play during which there was an illegal hands to the face penalty. I thought the play should have stood, penalty yards added then deal with the personal fouls that occured after the play? The announcers didn't mention it, so I must be out of whack on my understaning officiating. Can someone help me understand the rules?

I did not understand how it was third down after the melee. Wasn't a pass complweted on said play during which there was an illegal hands to the face penalty. I thought the play should have stood, penalty yards added then deal with the personal fouls that occured after the play? The announcers didn't mention it, so I must be out of whack on my understaning officiating. Can someone help me understand the rules?

I actually thought the same thing...the personal fouls were announced to have occurred AFTER the play, therefor the play should have stood and the additional penalty yards should have been marked off. If this is true, and Marvin didn't make a total stink about this on the sidelines simply shows another ineptness of Marvin as a HC.

I actually thought the same thing...the personal fouls were announced to have occurred AFTER the play, therefor the play should have stood and the additional penalty yards should have been marked off. If this is true, and Marvin didn't make a total stink about this on the sidelines simply shows another ineptness of Marvin as a HC.

I concur. I was yelling at the TV when they came back after the fight and it was 3-11 again. I didn't understand that call by the refs at all.

What are you guys yammering about, a few yards?

If you want to complain about the refs or Marvin missing an opportunity to argue or challenge a ruling.....how about Holt's fumbled kickoff return?

Yeah, Holt fumbles. It's as clear as day.

But the Jag player who picked up the ball was actually tackled before scoring.

No kidding, two camera angles clearly showed his knee firmly on the ground while the ball was a full yard from the endzone.

What are you guys yammering about, a few yards?

If you want to complain about the refs or Marvin missing an opportunity to argue or challenge a ruling.....how about Holt's fumbled kickoff return?

Yeah, Holt fumbles. It's as clear as day.

But the Jag player who picked up the ball was actually tackled before scoring.

No kidding, two camera angles clearly showed his knee firmly on the ground while the ball was a full yard from the endzone.

Wasn't just a few yards...the result of the play was a first down. I just don't see how a personal foul at the "end of the play" can overrule the result of the play. It doesn't make sense. Now since you brought up Holt, man I REALLY hope they get rid of this guy. He has cost the Bengals games in the past with his butterfingers almost did it again. I would hate to see him cost the Bengals a game when it really mattered. Maybe the Bengals will open their eyes and spend a mid round draft pick on a guy that can return kicks and punts. I'll take Derrick Williams from Penn State in the third round. He would also make a good replacement for Chatman in the slot.

Wasn't just a few yards...the result of the play was a first down.

Yeah, I get that. I also get the part about how they still had a chance to convert, but didn't. In fact, we can pat Whitworth on the back for showing a little fire, but the sad truth of the matter is this. The Jags players responded positively to the fight, decisively winning nearly every play that followed until they were back in the game.

I just don't see how a personal foul at the "end of the play" can overrule the result of the play. It doesn't make sense.

I don't disagree. That said, there wasn't a bigger play in the entire game than the fumble return for a TD....which I believe wouldn't have held up if challenged and reviewed.

Now since you brought up Holt, man I REALLY hope they get rid of this guy. He has cost the Bengals games in the past with his butterfingers almost did it again. I would hate to see him cost the Bengals a game when it really mattered.

I like Holt and I think he's a dangerous returner....if he can hold onto the ball. And on that count, he no longer carries the ball as carelessly as he once did, and he has done a better job covering up before contact. However, on occasion Glenn Holt has the disturbing habit of being rag-dolled, and it happens often enough that you have to wonder how much coaching he's had in regards to controlling contact.

PFT

Posted by Mike Florio on November 7, 2008, 4:08 p.m. EST

Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson is a lucky, lucky man. Five days after treating the head of Bengals lineman Andrew Whitworth like the bowling ball it appears to be, Henderson was fined only $10,000 by the league office, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Whitworth, whose effort to protect his eye sockets included swinging at Henderson, received a $10,000 fine as well.

Both players were ejected from the game.

Apparently, the NFL doesn’t impose stiff punishment for a mere attempt to perform an eyeballectomy without anesthesia. (Or medical instruments.) Instead, the eyeball has to be flopping around on the field like in Any Given Sunday before the offending player gets the Albert Haynesworth treatment.

------------------------------------------

WTF? What a F'ing joke if ,a Bengals player would have accidently run into a Patriot or Cowboy waterboy we would have seen the play run on ESPN, NFLN, CBS, ect. and the player would have been gone for a year. I watched NFLN show Official Review because, I thought they show the play and --Nothing- I have not seen anybody mention it on the major sports shows, If this were against one of the "GOLDEN" teams we would have never heard the end of it and there would have been a year suspension.

Henderson tried to gouge Whitworth's f'ing eyes out and he gets a $10,000 fine?

Whitworth gets a $10,000 fine, FOR WHAT? Not letting Henderson gouge his eyes out?

If this does not bring home the BIAS of the national media and the Comish' I dont know what does.

Chris Henry gets a misdemeanor offense such as, a fight and its national media and suspension, Henderson tries to gouge Whitworth's eyes out ,which would be a felony malicious wounding, if charged and NOTING FROM THE MEDIA, NOTHING FROM THE LEAGUE(other than a small fine) What a joke!

The worst part to me is that Whitworth was fined too, What was he susposed to do let Henderson take out his eyes out?This ,unlike the Chris Henry misdemeanors, goes to sportsmanship and the integrity of the game,not to mention the rule of law.A person has the right to defend themselves if another is assualting them.

I guess if they let Joey Porter and friends assualt , rob and commit a criminal conspiracy against Levi Jones and ruin his career then, I guess its OK to gouge a players eyes out. BUT, only if he is on the Bengals.

Whitworth $10,000 fine for being a Bengal.

Absolute bulls**t. Forget about fines. Gouging is disgraceful and has to be taken more seriously. Look at Wilpoke (Gawd bless his fat Canes ass). Gotten away with it forever and he keeps on doing it. Gouge on a rugby field and you get anything from a 6 game suspension to a year's suspension (30 games or so) on top of a hefty fine.

You swing and knock a couple of teeth out, you get a couple of games suspension and a hefty fine. There's a very good reason for the difference in punishments and if the NFL were seriously trying to protect players from serious injury they'd stop the bulls**t fines, like the Steeler dude got for his totally legitimate sack on Campbell and go after ****s like Henderson who can cost someone his eyesight and his NFL career.

Bunch of total cretins running the show right now.

I was surprised when Hines Ward got away with crown of the helmet to the jaw on Rivers. But at least I understood the ruling. Ward delivered with his shoulder at the same time, and a case could be made that the helmet was incidental to the shoulder, that the whole thing happened in the course of a legal football hit and it was unintentional.

It is hard to understand how any of that logic could apply to this bulls**t. Gouging a guys eyes? I agree, if the victim were on a high profile team, he'd get suspended.

Just imagine if a bengal had done that to Big Ben. 10K fine? No way in hell. At least one game suspension.

I'm ok with the fine on Whitworth. Rule says there will be fines for swinging...so be it. Henderson should be out of commission for at least one game, and more like two, for the gouging.
What did Haynesworth get for stepping on the guy's head last year? Also, if would it have been different if Whitworth had missed game time or been temporarily or permanently injured? Rog really missed the boat on this one.