Rudi vs Chris

ChadJohnson-85

Rudi vs Chris  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start season opener against the Ravens?

• Rudi Johnson
    • Chris Perry

I would love to see Perry start the WHOLE season. I could care less if Rudi got cut (or traded) as long as I knew that Perry would stay healthy. Rudi ain't as great as he use to be (sadly). Perry and Watson would be one of the best one two punches in the NFL. When Perry's healthy, he's a beast! B)

WhoDey!!! :cheers:

I was as impressed as anyone with Perry... because I didn't think he had it in him. But he has now officially broken 1 NFL tackle to score 1 NFL rushing TD... and it was preseason. How many times have we been fooled in a pre-season game (Remember Rob Johnson?).

And I'm not saying Perry is fooling us. Perhaps he really is as good as he looked... But Rudi is sitting out as a precaution. I don't think there is any way that Perry outright steals his job before the season starts. Rudi would have to be injured. And I know Rudi is a shell of what he was... so Perry will get his chances this year - but one pre-season game is not enough to unseat Rudi.

And for the record... Kenny Watson looked just as good as (if not better than) Perry for most of that game. I'm not trying to take anything away from Perry, because I was impressed... but perhaps it is the O-Line is playing better than anything right now. Watson had 4.8 yards/carry and in my opinion has just as good a chance as Perry to be the starting RB against the Ravens if for some reason Rudi can't go. And that would allow Perry to remain an explosive 3rd down back.

I'm still not writing off Rudi. I want to see the guy become the bowling ball he's known as. With a healthy Mr. Glass and a reverted to old form Rudi, this running game is going to be tough to handle.

Yeah, our draft RB selections have really been sure things!

Bad luck with draft picks is no reason to stop taking them. If they need a RB, they have to draft one. My suggestion... go back in time and take Stephen Jackson when you had the chance. That's the kind of back that doesn't break down - one that looks for contact.

But what are you going to do. I don't want to see continued draft picks in early rounds on RB's. Not because of a lack of success... but because there are other positions of greater need. Maybe Perry gets healthy. Maybe Rudi returns to old form. Maybe Watson is serviceable. Maybe all of the above. What I mean to say is... I'm not sure how desperate the Bengals are for more early draft pick RB's. They just need the O-Line to do it's job better than it did last year, and have one guy on their roster stay healthy for one year.

Besides... the number of successful RB's that come from later rounds in the draft might be more than any other position in football. How about a nice 4th rounder, and use those first 3 picks on defense.

I was as impressed as anyone with Perry... because I didn't think he had it in him. But he has now officially broken 1 NFL tackle to score 1 NFL rushing TD... and it was preseason. How many times have we been fooled in a pre-season game (Remember Rob Johnson?).

And I'm not saying Perry is fooling us. Perhaps he really is as good as he looked... But Rudi is sitting out as a precaution. I don't think there is any way that Perry outright steals his job before the season starts. Rudi would have to be injured. And I know Rudi is a shell of what he was... so Perry will get his chances this year - but one pre-season game is not enough to unseat Rudi.

And for the record... Kenny Watson looked just as good as (if not better than) Perry for most of that game. I'm not trying to take anything away from Perry, because I was impressed... but perhaps it is the O-Line is playing better than anything right now. Watson had 4.8 yards/carry and in my opinion has just as good a chance as Perry to be the starting RB against the Ravens if for some reason Rudi can't go. And that would allow Perry to remain an explosive 3rd down back.

I'm surprised to see you change (somewhat) you're position. As for the poll, I'd take a HEALTHY Perry over a healthy Johnson (huh huh huh) any day because I think Perry gives the offense more variety and options as far as playcalling goes.

Perry is going to be great if he can stay healthy. He looks so much bigger and that could mean his duribilityis going to be better.

For China he was durable yesterday and looked fine. But we need Rudi for the insurance coverage...at least until next year's draft.

I disagree with your point that we need Rudi for insurance. We need Watson and one of DeDe/JJohnson as insurance.

If Rudi cannot get healthy, it may be his undoing. Which is a bummer for sure, as I too have been holding out hope he might get back his spark/pop, but a fact of life in the numbers game of the NFL.

Perry looked pretty solid. I thought he ran decisively and had good acceleration and vision. We all know he can catch and get to the outside (Rudi cannot do that) and offers more skills/tools. he just needs to get through camp unscathed <uh...not holding breath here>.

I thought JJohnson ran OK, thought the # don't bear it out. he had the 3rd/4th line and did look very fast and almost broke 3 runs for big hunks. He should show more in game 2-4.

EDIT:

Just read Hobson on bengals.com: "Rudi is The Pocket Bus when it comes to getting those clutch, tough yards like Jerome Bettis. "

...huh? when was the last time you can recall this actually happening with any kind of consistency? MAYBE 04, not as often in 05'

I'm surprised to see you change (somewhat) you're position. As for the poll, I'd take a HEALTHY Perry over a healthy Johnson (huh huh huh) any day because I think Perry gives the offense more variety and options as far as playcalling goes.

What position have I changed? I've never questions Perry's ability to be a 3rd down back. That's actually where I think he fits best. I don't see him as a true between the tackles, count on him every game kind of back.

And I still think the idea of a healthy Perry contributing over the course of an entire season in the role of an actual NFL RB is incredibly doubtful... therefore making him a bust. But stranger things have happened right? Besides... the combination of Rudi, and Watson has shown to be adequate when the line is healthy. Perry would only add to that.

And my opinion on this has remained very consistent. My opinion is: if Rudi is hurt, ride Watson on 1st and 2nd, and put Perry in on 3rd. Because no... I'm still not a believer that Perry is an every down back. He's a WR who lines up in the backfield.

I don't see him as a true between the tackles, count on him every game kind of back.

I was also recently solid in that opinion of him too, but after seeing him running the way he did, and bull ahead for a TD in the game against Green Bay, I'm just not quite so sure. He may just have what it takes, and justify the reason he was drafted #1 in 2004.

Sounds funny coming from me doesn't it? ^_^

Some people are taking the Perry thing WAY too far. He really wasn't all that last night, and often was going at 2nd and 3rd stringers. He didn't break-off a big run all night (and didn't have a lot of room either).

If he stays healthy, I'm sure he'll provide some good depth and options for the offense, like he did in 2005, but cmon, that's about it.

Some people are taking the Perry thing WAY too far. He really wasn't all that last night, and often was going at 2nd and 3rd stringers. He didn't break-off a big run all night (and didn't have a lot of room either).

If he stays healthy, I'm sure he'll provide some good depth and options for the offense, like he did in 2005, but cmon, that's about it.

Agreed. I can't say I ever hated the Perry selection as much as many people here have, but at the same time I find these suddenly positive expectations to be more than a little premature. Let's see him do it again in another preseason game, or maybe even a real game, or even stay healthy.

I expect Rudi to be the obvious starter by week one, and if Perry is still cooking with gas as the third down checkdown back, awesome.

Rudi's going to have nagging leg problems... Perry will get the starting spot by week 2-3. Watson will start off the season.

If Rudi is healthy, then Rudi/Perry will be a great 1-2 punch just like in '05. Perry's dangerous when he gets his hands on the ball. He may be a glass stud, but he is a stud in the making.

I think if Rudi is healthy they'll start him against the Ravens, Perry may end up with more plays from scrimage but i think Rudi starts the game off... if Perry stays healthy and Rudi returns to form we have a pretty nice 1-2-3 punch with Watson too.

BTW

My buddy helped Kenny Irons pack up his stuff yesterday and he moved back to Atlanta. says he's gonna rehab for a year and make another team next year.