Zimmer's defense

icehole3

So far so good. His motto was everyone just do your job. Stats show that the LBs made the tackles instead of CBs and Safeties a very good sign. DTs kept OL off the LBs. Rivers was flying around, White was taking guys out everywhere. The key thing I thought was the running game for GB didnt run up and down the field on us and the Bengals offense stayed with the running game and allowed the defense to get some rest.

On the contrary, I thought the first team defense looked quite bad. Beyond the obvious tackling problems, Green Bay didn't seem to have much difficulty moving the ball on the ground. Brandon Jackson averaged over seven yards per carry.

All analysis means nil to me after one preseason game, but there you go.

On the contrary, I thought the first team defense looked quite bad. Beyond the obvious tackling problems, Green Bay didn't seem to have much difficulty moving the ball on the ground. Brandon Jackson averaged over seven yards per carry.

All analysis means nil to me after one preseason game, but there you go.

Very true but according to the announcers GB kept the ones in there into the 2nd quarter and they did get better D at that time. I'd grade them a C- for the 1st unit.

I was very disappointed! The open field tackles didn’t happen. We got to the QB (unproven QB at that) but were unable to stop him. The DB’s still can’t cover anybody. Where was the improvement? Same Def from last year, just a few new guys. Oh yea, get over the Farve thing. He's gone. It was the Bengals vs. the Packers!

I'm with icehole, I liked what I saw out of the D last night. Far from perfect, and yes there were issues with guys tackling and leaving their feet, but that's correctable. The D was definitely more aggressive, harder-hitting, and always on the make for the big play. Which, of course, means you'll get burnt here and there, which I expected.

A good first outing. Overall, it seemed to me that the D was a bit...frantic, if you know what I mean. The intensity was dialed up to 11, which was just a touch too high IMHO and caused some of the tackling/flying around issues. Zimmer needs to get them to pull in their horns just a notch and focus just a bit more on the fundamentals and they'll be fine.

I was very disappointed! The open field tackles didn’t happen. We got to the QB (unproven QB at that) but were unable to stop him. The DB’s still can’t cover anybody. Where was the improvement? Same Def from last year, just a few new guys. Oh yea, get over the Farve thing. He's gone. It was the Bengals vs. the Packers!

I agree completely. Too many missed tackles. Crap, two guys slammed Jones, the receiver that popped his helmet off I believe, and he still sprinted for six.

Looked a lot like 2005. A couple of happenstance interceptions, the fumble recovery at the end when the Packers were getting in a position to tie or take the lead. A lot of lucky turnovers covered up for a lot of lack of execution.

I thought the Packers number one running team looked far too good against our number one defense by the way.

OK, so compare this year's defense to the one you saw last year in the preseason: does what you saw last night make you feel better in any way? It does me, because Zimmer spent the past 10 days of training camp implementing an entire new defense. In all reality, there should have been a ton of missed assignments last night (it didn't look like there were very many) and guys not in the right spots.

Maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about (very likely) but if after putting in a whole new defensive scheme and philosophy, they picked it up in 10 days, I would think there's plenty of time (there's still 26 days until Baltimore) to correct missed tackles.

Wow, let the negativity flow.

Gracious.

First, it was two series of the first pre-season game that the first team D played. That resulted in zero points for Green Bay. One punt, one interception. So, I am not sure what the fussing about the first team D issues are.

The 10 points (and CB complaints) came against the second team corners. Jones looked lost to me, O'Neal? Well, uneven, like he always is. But I think he is the nickel corner.

I liked White's aggressiveness, and, even though ESPN couldn't be bothered to identify him, was it White that tipped the ball that Jackson picked? I think it was. The missed tackle on the hit was unfortunate, but, damn, I am glad to see a Bengal try to knock someone the f**k out for a change.

I thought Blackstock looked horrible. Is there no way that Zim can get Johnson/Jones/Rivers on the field as his LBers? Johnson was all over the field, and Rivers was extremely impressive in his debut.

I thought the pressure from the front four was heartening. Peko looked worth his money, and Geathers looked like 2006 again.

The wild card to keep in mind from last night, fellas, is that was no ordinary pre-season game. The atmosphere in Lambeau was borderline playoff, given the Favre/Rodgers thing, and GB was hyped the f**k up. Even so, the first team D held them to nothing, and it was portions of the second team D that gave up points.

A little perspective would be a good thing...

Our Defense looked decent... Loved seeing Dexter sneek in for a sac. Marvin White was laying some lumber and was in the right spot at the right time just like a safety should do. The D-Line looked pretty good. Peko looked outstanding. Jumpy looked good. The LB's held their own and that new guy B. Johnson from the Cards was reckless.

A little rough around the edges but it was the first preseason game.

1st of all the defense did look better because it was attacking. There is alot of youth palying for the D which explains why they go for the big hit instead of proper technique. That should be easily correctable. Rivers hasn't been in for a week yet, so he'll move up and will be technically sound. Geathers had a sack, and Odom will help. Shirley was getting pushed around, but Sims was getting double-teamed and looks to be a monster. The Defense did not play good, but it seems more attacking which is better than what they were. With all of the youth they should get better as the season goes along. The offense has to carry the load. A defense in between 15-18 will get us the division.

I will say I was impressed with how they penetrated the Packers' first team o-line in the first quarter. That was the pressure and aggression the team has lacked in recent years and is a good sign of things to come. That can't come at the expense of missed tackles and leaving receivers so much space, though. Of course, it was the first ps game and there is time to work on those issues.

i've only seen the highlights, so can't comment fully, but the tackling looked poor again.Their 1st quarter TD had O'Neal and White hitting the WR, but neither of them actually tackling him, and therefore he walks in to the Endzone!!

A win is a win, and hopefully there's a lot better to come in terms of stopping the opposition.

jon

It was just OK. I liked the intensity. I lov e the new LB Johnson. I wouldn't be suprised to see the opening day line up at LB be Johnson Jones and Rivers. Actually I would bet on it. The tackling was poor but if they can correct that I see good things for this defense.

The defenders looked to be in the right gaps all night, they were in position to make the plays, they just didn't make them. That's at least a step up from last year when they weren't even in position to defend anything. So, now they just need to work on making the tackle once they're in position and then we'll be fine.

The problem with the James Jones touchdown was that he got sandwiched between O'Neal and White, therefore not knocking him in either direction.

It was nice to see White out there knocking people on their asses, but him getting plowed over by Donald Driver was embarrassing.

Also, the lack of effort by Ahmad Brooks was not even disguised. If that guy isn't even going to try, he needs to go. Everytime he rushed, it seemed like he quit trying as soon as someone stepped in front of him.

Overall, I'm pleased with the progress so far. They still have three weeks to work out the kinks. Looks like Zimmer will turn out to be a good hire.

anyone else as high on Corey Lynch as i am? he always seems to be around the ball. I want him on the team as a backup Safety and definately on Special Teams..

Sims and Shirley look really raw dont see them starting anytime soon. Was not impressed with Fanene. Brooks looked like he fit in with 3rd string. Im a little worried about Leon Hall playing on an island but i thought DJax and JJ looked good... White will be alright he acknowledged post game that he needs to wrap up. I like Myers next to Peko better than Thornton and hopefully we can find a way to get Johnson and Rivers in their together cuz they both looked good.

BTW Madieu got hurt and is out a minimum 6 weeks

anyone else as high on Corey Lynch as i am? he always seems to be around the ball. I want him on the team as a backup Safety and definately on Special Teams..

Sims and Shirley look really raw dont see them starting anytime soon. Was not impressed with Fanene. Brooks looked like he fit in with 3rd string. Im a little worried about Leon Hall playing on an island but i thought DJax and JJ looked good... White will be alright he acknowledged post game that he needs to wrap up. I like Myers next to Peko better than Thornton and hopefully we can find a way to get Johnson and Rivers in their together cuz they both looked good.

BTW Madieu got hurt and is out a minimum 6 weeks

Like Mays, Brandon Johnson missed a few tackles and whilr he made a play or two looked like what he is - an Arizona Cardinal castoff. Blackstock to an even greater degree. Did anyone see him on the play the Johnson dipped uder Peko in the backfield? He ran right by the RB at the line of scrimmage, didn't even know what was going on. I thought Peko did a good job to disrupt the play and let the LB take the guy down, which is his job unfortunately our LB was confused a handoff.