This Thread Will Make Hair's Head Explode

HoosierCat

From that impeccable source of football info, PFT:

IF CHAD BEHAVES, HE MIGHT GET A NEW DEAL

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2008, 5:04 p.m. EDT

With Bengals receiver Chad Johnson reporting to training camp, we’re told that the team is willing to take a serious look at renegotiating Johnson’s contract after the season if he behaves himself during the 2008 campaign.

The current situation, then, can be called a “positive truce,” with the ugliness of Chad’s offseason antics behind the player and the team, and the team interested in taking steps to keep the player happy and productive if the player can be happy and productive from now until January.

Based on the manner in which Johnson conducted himself in the offseason, we’ll believe that Johnson can behave himself on a consistent basis once we see that Johnson can behave himself on a consistent basis.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/27/...get-a-new-deal/

It makes sense to put the illusion of a carrot out there. The odds of CJ behaving himself 100% between now and "the end of the season" have got to be rather low, I would imagine.

It makes sense to put the illusion of a carrot out there. The odds of CJ behaving himself 100% between now and "the end of the season" have got to be rather low, I would imagine.

I actually thought they might, but I expected it to be a promise to let him shop himself in a trade next year. Im a bit leery of handing him a yet another big pile of money. His behavior aside, he (like TJ) is no spring chicken. He's starting to show wear-and-tear during the season and is coming off an ankle cleanout. And with some pretty significant investments in WR via the draft, the whole "move on" scenario just seems to make more sense. That said, by next Feb., depending on what happens with the young guys and any possible TJ extension, and of course Chad himself, the situation may be different.

This is good news for now. Great news actually, but come next year when both Tourage and Chad are trying to wrangle new contracts, it's gonna be hell.

Yup. I think we can put the question of whether Chad will play nice to rest. As for next year, hey, that's why we drafted a bunch of young'uns, right?

This is good news for now. Great news actually, but come next year when both Tourage and Chad are trying to wrangle new contracts, it's gonna be hell.

Yup. I think we can put the question of whether Chad will play nice to rest. As for next year, hey, that's why we drafted a bunch of young'uns, right?

Right, but can they be the tandem that Johnson and Houshmandzadeh was? I hope so, but a great pair like these two you'll rarely find. Even on a high class call girl! ;)

So why is my head supposed to explode?

There's not much news here, is there? Just some vague statement about Chad's contract being reviewed after this season, but only if he can control his longstanding history of bojangling and douchebaggery?

Well how likely is that?

Regardless, in the last few weeks Mr Bojangles has now admitted three major things.

1 - First, his offseason act was simply a failed attempt to either get a new contract from the Bengals or force a trade to another team. Any of you posters who expressed a single doubt it was anything else can now consider yourselves dupes and dips**ts.

2 - Second, Mr Bojangles finally admitted he needs to mature. To be fair, the admission was predictably weak and it's almost a given that Mr Bojangles still doesn't get it....but it's a start.

3 - Third, Mr Bojangles has admitted he hasn't played well of late and agreed the Bengals were correct when they claimed he had dropped more than 400 yards worth of production last season. Thus, he acknowledged their oft-repeated claim that an elite WR in this teams offense should produce better numbers than Chad has done. And their expectations are already well known, right? That being, 1850 yards and 18 TD's.

So there's your carrot.

Now who amongst us doesn't want to see Chad reach those lofty totals? I know I sure do.

That said, who amongst us really thinks he'll do each of things required to reach the carrot?

Isn't it far more likely Mr Bojangles will simply put up the same numbers he's always bragged were good enough?

So why is my head supposed to explode?

There's not much news here, is there? Just some vague statement about Chad's contract being reviewed after this season, but only if he can control his longstanding history of bojangling and douchebaggery?

Well how likely is that?

Regardless, in the last few weeks Mr Bojangles has now admitted three major things.

1 - First, his offseason act was simply a failed attempt to either get a new contract from the Bengals or force a trade to another team. Any of you posters who expressed a single doubt it was anything else can now consider yourselves dupes and dips**ts.

2 - Second, Mr Bojangles finally admitted he needs to mature. To be fair, the admission was predictably weak and it's almost a given that Mr Bojangles still doesn't get it....but it's a start.

3 - Third, Mr Bojangles has admitted he hasn't played well of late and agreed the Bengals were correct when they claimed he had dropped more than 400 yards worth of production last season. Thus, he acknowledged their oft-repeated claim that an elite WR in this teams offense should produce better numbers than Chad has done. And their expectations are already well known, right? That being, 1850 yards and 18 TD's.

So there's your carrot.

Now who amongst us doesn't want to see Chad reach those lofty totals? I know I sure do.

That said, who amongst us really thinks he'll do each of things required to reach the carrot?

Isn't it far more likely Mr Bojangles will simply put up the same numbers he's always bragged were good enough?

Money is 99% of professional sports and yes it was obvious Chad was speaking in code words all off season about just that.

This is an excellent arrangement by the Browns as Chad now has a carrot dangling just out of reach for the entire season. The Bengals at worst get the old Chad and at best get another All Pro year out of the guy. Then in 2009, they can decide what to do after they see how Caldwell did; Simpson did; whether TJ was signed; whether Andrews broke their bank; how their season went; and of course whether Chad made it thru the season with his health intact.

Chad's the dipsh*t and now is eating sh*t while the Browns dine on creme brulee.

The Bengals at worst get the old Chad and at best get another All Pro year out of the guy.

Sorry, no. There's no reason to believe Chad is done with being a douchebag or that the Bengals have seen him at his worst. All we know for certain is Chad has admitted his act was a deliberate ploy for more cash. So what happens if mid-season rolls around and Chad finds himself far behind the pace needed to substantially improve upon....or match....the type of numbers he's always produced?

Note: Wow, an earthquake. Right now.

Wow, an earthquake. Right now.

I lived.

That said, that was the first one I've ever experienced where I heard it coming before feeling it. Lot's of low noises for 5 or 10 seconds before the shaking started. I had actually gotten up from my chair to see where the noises might be coming from.

The Bengals at worst get the old Chad and at best get another All Pro year out of the guy.

Sorry, no. There's no reason to believe Chad is done with being a douchebag or that the Bengals have seen him at his worst. All we know for certain is Chad has admitted his act was a deliberate ploy for more cash. So what happens if mid-season rolls around and Chad finds himself far behind the pace needed to substantially improve upon....or match....the type of numbers he's always produced?

Note: Wow, an earthquake. Right now.

Did someone say the old Chad wasn't a douche? Not me. His sideline rant with Palmer after running the wrong route qualified as 2007 Douche of the Year. But still, he has that carrot in front of his face and a bigger payday next season, either with the Bengals or not if he behaves his self. I expect will get a decent year from him in 2008.

I live in San Francisco Bay area, I thought I'd get more quakes up here than down in LA where I lived for 11 years. Nope, in LA I had the Landers (7.2), Newport Beach (3.0) right underneath my feet, the Northridge(6), the Whitter(6). Up here nada. Of the others, the Landers threw me out of bed and seemed to shake for minutes.

Wow, an earthquake. Right now.

I lived.

That said, that was the first one I've ever experienced where I heard it coming before feeling it. Lot's of low noises for 5 or 10 seconds before the shaking started. I had actually gotten up from my chair to see where the noises might be coming from.

Preliminary 5.8. That's enough to get one's attention...