2nd Round: Jerome Simpson

ArmyBengal

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I have to say.

I love how every year the same crap goes down on this board.

Everyone was uninspired by the Leon Hall pick, and he led our team in INT's as a rook. No one knows who Domata Peko is, and therefore he sucks. Marvin White? Robert Geathers? The list goes on and on. Just because we don't hear of people (or many of you don't), doesn't mean that they aren't good - or even better than the players you had been set on. Other than character flaws (Thurman, Henry, Nicholson, Rucker, etc), and bad luck (Kieft, Irons, etc.), I've been almost completely behind the picks since marvin has been here. OK, maybe not Ratliff, and def not Perry, but everyone's allowed a couple of mistakes, right?

What we are seeing today is a team that has been weathering a storm of uncertainty at a couple of positions (how many dependable NFL starts do we have at LB w/out aging Dhani; and our #1 and #3 receivers may never play here again). We at least have bodies at the DT position, and historically it's a position with a very high bust factor in early rounds. I'm happy to get a couple of big bodies on both lines a little later in the draft.

BTW, I hope they draft RB Jalon Parmele in the 4th, and I wouldn't be upset if they took him with their second 3rd either. Even though most of you don't know who he is, it doesn't mean he isn't going to be a star.

There's another WR we've never heard of from San Diego State that I hope we draft in the 6th or 7th too (Chad Schilens). And that will be a good pick, even though he doesn't have a big name, either.

I'm really curious how all of these people, who basically do nothing but followed internet generated hype (as opposed to actually REALLY breaking down tape of ALL of the prospects), can get so upset when the Bengals pass on a pick that has sex appeal.(that every other team has passed on up to that point to).

Having said that, I am downright depressed we didn't do more to get Ellis.

His jumping skills appear to be better than excellent. He looks like as good a pick as anyone else would've been in replacing Henry as a red zone threat.

Word, TDB.

Consider, again, folks, the difficulties the Bengals are in due to Henry being a first-class a**h***, and Chad a major tool.

In the short-term, then KNOW they have to find some way of replacing Henry's skillset. As big a dick as he was, that skill set was considerable. Not just ANY receiver will be able to do what he did. That guy, the guy none of us have heard of? He appears to have a shot, with his raw skills, at doing just that.

As for CJ, we will need insurance for him, in case he goes ahead and sits out, or gets here and tries to tear the team apart, or whatever. And that guy's skill-set looks like he might be that insurance down the road.

So, yeah, I am content.

Two picks in the 3rd round, plenty of good players available at that point still. But perhaps not a guy with this kids ridonkulous skill-set.

I would guess I will be agreeing to disagree, as usual, with a bunch of you on this one.

Terrible pick.

I understand the need for a receiver. I get it, I really do.....Henry is gone, and Chad might as well be. Got it.

But we need a good DT more AND....this part is especially important, pay attention...... there are FAR fewer of them available to pick.

And the guy we needed - Laws - went two picks later.

The DTs in the third are FAR less capable, but the WRs in the 3rd will still be very good - the equal or better of Simpson.

I'd argue that Simpson himself could have been had in the third.....but not Laws

Say it. For old times sake... You know what im talking about

If you would ask the rest of the NFL, they would tell you there is a 95.5 % chance this kid would be there in the 3rd round. If you love him so much, trade one of your zillion picks to move earlier in the 3rd round. Don't p!ss away one of the few quality DT tackles remaining.

This is an Artrell Hawkins type reach. GET SOME FLIPPING SCOUTS BROWN! This kid may turn out to be the next Jerry Rice, but guess what? You could have grabbed him in the 3rd, 4th or possibly the 5th round.

The list of small schoool players who've made it big is pretty long, so I'm not going to ding this pick on where he played....

At worst, he can hopefully conribute in a Henry-like role pretty quick.

Ok....now clearly the Bengals will take a DT with r3a, RIGHT?????

SO, who be there?? Sims, Moore, Harrison, Bryant, RUbin......lots on the menu. maybe 2 DT's in r2.

Alright, I have to say.

Everyone was uninspired by the Leon Hall pick, and he led our team in INT's as a rook. No one knows who Domata Peko is, and therefore he sucks. Marvin White? Robert Geathers? The list goes on and on. Just because we don't hear of people (or many of you don't), doesn't mean that they aren't good - or even better than the players you had been set on. Other than character flaws (Thurman, Henry, Nicholson, Rucker, etc), and bad luck (Kieft, Irons, etc.), I've been almost completely behind the picks since marvin has been here. OK, maybe not Ratliff, and def not Perry, but everyone's allowed a couple of mistakes, right?

What we are seeing today is a team that has been weathering a storm of uncertainty at a couple of positions (how many dependable NFL starts do we have at LB w/out aging Dhani; and our #1 and #3 receivers may never play here again). We at least have bodies at the DT position, and historically it's a position with a very high bust factor in early rounds. I'm happy to get a couple of big bodies on both lines a little later in the draft.

BTW, I hope they draft RB Jalon Parmele in the 4th, and I wouldn't be upset if they took him with their second 3rd either. Even though most of you don't know who he is, it doesn't mean he isn't going to be a star.

There's another WR we've never heard of from San Diego State that I hope we draft in the 6th or 7th too (Chad Schilens). And that will be a good pick, even though he doesn't have a big name, either.

I'm really curious how all of these people, who basically do nothing but followed internet generated hype (as opposed to actually REALLY breaking down tape of ALL of the prospects), can get so upset when the Bengals pass on a pick that has sex appeal.(that every other team has passed on up to that point to).

Forgive me if im wrong, but i thought Leon hall was a pretty popular pick.

If you would ask the rest of the NFL, they would tell you there is a 95.5 % chance this kid would be there in the 3rd round. If you love him so much, trade one of your zillion picks to move earlier in the 3rd round. Don't p!ss away one of the few quality DT tackles remaining.

This is an Artrell Hawkins type reach. GET SOME FLIPPING SCOUTS BROWN! This kid may turn out to be the next Jerry Rice, but guess what? You could have grabbed him in the 3rd, 4th or possibly the 5th round.

LOL I was just thinking that....

His jumping skills appear to be better than excellent. He looks like as good a pick as anyone else would've been in replacing Henry as a red zone threat.

Word, TDB.

Consider, again, folks, the difficulties the Bengals are in due to Henry being a first-class a**h***, and Chad a major tool.

In the short-term, then KNOW they have to find some way of replacing Henry's skillset. As big a dick as he was, that skill set was considerable. Not just ANY receiver will be able to do what he did. That guy, the guy none of us have heard of? He appears to have a shot, with his raw skills, at doing just that.

As for CJ, we will need insurance for him, in case he goes ahead and sits out, or gets here and tries to tear the team apart, or whatever. And that guy's skill-set looks like he might be that insurance down the road.

So, yeah, I am content.

Two picks in the 3rd round, plenty of good players available at that point still. But perhaps not a guy with this kids ridonkulous skill-set.

I would guess I will be agreeing to disagree, as usual, with a bunch of you on this one.

I see what you're saying and it's just as valid as my impotent bitching about this pick. I just hope that our offence can carry this team, including a rookie WR because the D, whilst margninally improved, will not win us any games on it's own. Yeah, if Okam is there in the 3rd then damage limitation but man, Laws or Sims would have had a much bigger immediate impact on our overall fortunes, IMO.

I dont care how many freaking records this guy has he is playing small school teams where the DBs play football and soccer.

I'm sure you were against taking Kenny Anderson too, since he went to a small school...

Whoever said he is not a deep threat is mistaken.

...so far, this draft is turning out to be al about "rationalizing" picks allof us wish were one or two picks away....

Ellis and Sweed...

or

Rivers and Simpson...

I am far less upset about Simpson, actually a bit impressed with an insightful sleeper pick, than I am about missing Ellis...Ellis should have been taken.

WHoooHooo....keep cooking with those aluminum pans SoP....you'll be batty as Al Davis soon....

I guess it depends on how much you think they should have paid for Ellis.

Considering how much LB trouble the Bengals had last year Rivers does fill a need. Either player would have been good I think.

Try to keep things in perspective... THIS IS A FOOTBALL FORUM...

People are going to question things and going back through the drafts of the last 5 seasons, there is good reason for it. No one is necessarily bashing the players themselves as much as they are WHEN THEY ARE TAKEN. This has been a topic of conversation that has also taken place over the past few seasons. This is a trend that I don't imagine ANY fan of ANY team would care to see from the organization !!!

WHODEY !!!

I dont think this is the kind of thing you can blame on bad scouts. If we really had no scouts or bad scouts we would be taking mostly players either on the top of Mel's board or local guys (like hawkins). To say that we have no scouts so we take a guy from division 1aa is kinda stupid if you ask me. Without scouts we wouldnt know this guy existed.

Ah great, as i say this the steelers get limas sweed. I really wanted him here...

LOL I was just thinking that....

Wait! Wait! Can I play too?

This a Chad Johnson type reach. WAY TO FIND A DIAMOND IN THE SECOND ROUND BROWN!

And, please, tell me WHY exactly, you can ever be sure that certain players will be available in later rounds? Good lord, part II.

Crap. Most insider boards had him rising to the second and not lasting till the third. How, exactly, do you know how late he would have lasted.

You know what? The exact same scenario happened with another WR a few years back. There was a small school sleeper that everyone though would be there later in the draft, but someone who knew more than the likes of part-time draftniks - Bill 'freakin' Walsh - decided that it was worth trading up in the first round to take Jerry Rice. And history took care of the rest.

Alright, I have to say.

Forgive me if im wrong, but i thought Leon hall was a pretty popular pick.

Popular, but we all felt like it was safe, unispired, and lacked the flashiness that we wanted. I had an odd since of deja vu today with Rivers. I only hope we get the same kind of instant contribution from that 'fallback' pick.

If you would ask the rest of the NFL, they would tell you there is a 95.5 % chance this kid would be there in the 3rd round.

Haha, nice. Post of the day right here.

I assume you've called the rest of the NFL and gathered those statistics yourself, right?

It's amazing how everyone is an expert on draft day. Really amazing.

I dont care how many freaking records this guy has he is playing small school teams where the DBs play football and soccer.

Yeah I would have rather had a DT, but yeah Simpson came from a small school but a some great receivers came from small schools (Jerry Rice anyone). Not saying he's gonna be as great as Rice, just that he has the physical attributes just needs some polish.

Here is another video of him

Crap. Most insider boards had him rising to the second and not lasting till the third. How, exactly, do you know how late he would have lasted.

You know what? The exact same scenario happened with another WR a few years back. There was a small school sleeper that everyone though would be there later in the draft, but someone who knew more than the likes of part-time draftniks - Bill 'freakin' Walsh - decided that it was worth trading up in the first round to take Jerry Rice. And history took care of the rest.

Very true, alley. Very true. And the knock on Rice besides his playing for a small school? His speed. Timed at only 4.55 at the combine. Sure as f**k played faster than that on the field.

And, as I alluded to earlier in this thread, besides Rice, the 49er scored with Terrell Owens out of UT Chattanooga not too long ago.

Small school, schmall school. If he can play, he can play. And, looking at those tapes (the ones they ran on ESPN), it looks to me like that kid can play.

Haha, nice. Post of the day right here.

I assume you've called the rest of the NFL and gathered those statistics yourself, right?

It's amazing how everyone is an expert on draft day. Really amazing.

Oh Yeah, actually, he is probably Mike Brown in disgise.