The Shaun Alexander Thread

HoosierCat

Rudi is only effective when he can get to the second level and/or get a head of steam, so to speak, an become a 4-5 yard a carry back with his strength and balance. He's always been that way.

In other words he requires good blocking - he did not have that last year at all. Watson can make people miss like DeDe and you often saw them spinning out of tackles and avoiding guys in the backfield (that happens, just shouldn't so often as it did here last year).

If the o-line improves from last year, Rudi can be effective with Watson and/or DeDe - Brat and Alexander have to get a little more creative though.

If I had to guess, Perry won't make it through preseason, based on performance and/or injury. They'll give him a chance to beat out Dorsey.

Dorsey is valuable - but you have to limit his carries obviously, he's a game-changer. This offense doesn't have enough of those. Keeping Dorsey and adding Utecht is a start.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudi is only effective when he can get to the second level and/or get a head of steam, so to speak, an become a 4-5 yard a carry back with his strength and balance. He's always been that way.

In other words he requires good blocking - he did not have that last year at all. Watson can make people miss like DeDe and you often saw them spinning out of tackles and avoiding guys in the backfield (that happens, just shouldn't so often as it did here last year).

If the o-line improves from last year, Rudi can be effective with Watson and/or DeDe - Brat and Alexander have to get a little more creative though.

If I had to guess, Perry won't make it through preseason, based on performance and/or injury. They'll give him a chance to beat out Dorsey.

Dorsey is valuable - but you have to limit his carries obviously, he's a game-changer. This offense doesn't have enough of those. Keeping Dorsey and adding Utecht is a start.

We're more likely to sign someone else's trash after cut downs are finished, late summer, than sign Shawn. Besides as

someone else said, why would the guy want to come in for minimum cash when he signed a monster deal 2 years ago?

Then again, if the Bengals were worried about their RB situation, they could have addressed it 10 days ago, in the draft.

Shula, yes Perry has been brittle, but don't forget TJ was too in his first 3 years. I grant that he's unlikely to contribute, but I won't count him out just yet. If he can perform like he did in 2005, the Bengals will have a revived running game.

Why in the world would this team keep a RB who can only be effective when he has big holes to run through? For $3M+/year? What professinal NFL RB would not florish, as RUdi had, when given huge holes?

You rightly point out that Watson can spin and make people miss. It is a given that he can get yards when given a hole but can also create opportunities when none are there based on added skills. Why does this team need a one-trick runner? Rudi is the Justin of the Offense.

God bless the guy but unless he can show serious improvement in speed, moves and decisiveness, then he needs to go.

Then, Perry sprains his hair...

That damned sprained hair, again?

I hate it when that happens.

Good one, King.

And you call yourself a fan? What a joke.

Why, because they're joking about The Glass Running Back's constant injuries?

Then, Perry sprains his hair...

That damned sprained hair, again?

I hate it when that happens.

Good one, King.

And you call yourself a fan? What a joke.

It was a joke numbnutz. Like your constant Chad fellatio, only funny.

I'm not only a fan, but a fan rolling into his 41st season with this franchise. A fan who likely has literally hundreds of times the knowledge of this organization than the child agreen, will ever posess.

Try getting involved in the maturing processes that life offers us all. U R well past due!

He's clearly trying to create a market for himself. No way the Saints sign him to be their #3 RB, especially with the younger, more versatile McAllister taking a huge pay cut. I believe that this was only announced by his agent to try to coax an offer out of the Bengals before he goes to New Orleans.

He'll sign with the Saints. They'll spend more money. He sucks anyway.

First, the Saints were taking our castoffs. Then, they decided to cut out the middleman and outflank us to take guys we're looking to get. Is the Saints' goal to be the Bengals of the NFC? Somebody should tell them that's not the best idea.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0372/1078/COL02

I am still up in the air as to what Alexander would bring to us. Obviously the team must have some legitimate interest or they wouldn't have talked to him. I just wonder how much he's got left. And also to quote someone else's comment, would he be like a Ken Griffey Jr. was to the Reds when he came over? How well would he fit in and can he carry this club for a game or two?

I am still up in the air as to what Alexander would bring to us. Obviously the team must have some legitimate interest or they wouldn't have talked to him. I just wonder how much he's got left. And also to quote someone else's comment, would he be like a Ken Griffey Jr. was to the Reds when he came over? How well would he fit in and can he carry this club for a game or two?

Absolutely not. KG could still produce while Shaun will take a snap hit the hole, run into the back of his blockers then fall down. Hes washed up and i do not see any reason to sign him. I cant even tell what kind of back he is, hes not fast enough to be elusive and not big enough to be a power back, hes some kind of crappy stiff arm wielding back from the 60's. He won that MVP cause you could drive an SUV through the holes his Oline made him. He also had one of the best Fullbacks in the NFL at the time (Mack Strong).

Absolutely not. KG could still produce while Shaun will take a snap hit the hole, run into the back of his blockers then fall down. Hes washed up and i do not see any reason to sign him. I cant even tell what kind of back he is, hes not fast enough to be elusive and not big enough to be a power back, hes some kind of crappy stiff arm wielding back from the 60's. He won that MVP cause you could drive an SUV through the holes his Oline made him. He also had one of the best Fullbacks in the NFL at the time (Mack Strong).

Another thing I thought about was maybe this was the franchises way to give both Rudi and Chris Perry a wake-up call this offseason to let them know their jobs are on the line, in bringing in Shaun in for a visit. If they were truly desperate for another RB, they would have AT LEAST given him an offer on his way out of town. In any case, I hope they don't sign him. He was never really all that impressive to me and as it's been said previously, was a product of the system and talent around him.

Another thing I thought about was maybe this was the franchises way to give both Rudi and Chris Perry a wake-up call this offseason to let them know their jobs are on the line, in bringing in Shaun in for a visit. If they were truly desperate for another RB, they would have AT LEAST given him an offer on his way out of town. In any case, I hope they don't sign him. He was never really all that impressive to me and as it's been said previously, was a product of the system and talent around him.

Shaun Alexander still has a lot of good football left, and would be our best RB other than MAYBE a healthy Chris Perry. Alexander just had some injuries, but he has very little wear on him since his MVP season.

Shaun Alexander still has a lot of good football left, and would be our best RB other than MAYBE a healthy Chris Perry. Alexander just had some injuries, but he has very little wear on him since his MVP season.

Some good points there. In terms of how much "good football" that a player has left, it is often measured on career carries and durability. Although Shaun has been resonably durable over his NFL career (minus the last 2 seasons) he has 2,176 career carries. In comparison, Rudi J. has 1,441 career carries and is about 2 years younger. I'd rather take a chance on Rudi being productive over the next 2 years, as opposed to Shaun. I think that a lot of people forget that Rudi is still only 28 and didn't play a lot until his 3rd or 4th year in the league.