Chiefs not intrested in Ellis?

Kazkal

From PFT

CHIEFS LOOKING AT THEIR OPTIONS

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2008, 10:12 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs have the fifth overall pick in the draft. To get ready for it, they’re looking at some of the guys who are likely to be there when the Chiefs select.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, players visiting the Chiefs include Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, Idaho offensive tackle Ryan Clady and Virgnia offensive lineman Branden Albert. Ohio State defensive end/linebacker Vernon

Gholston is expected to visit later in the week.

The primary area of need seems to be on the offensive line, which has disintegrated over the past few years.

Seems weird for them to smokescreen if they were interested in ellis....

From PFT

CHIEFS LOOKING AT THEIR OPTIONS

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2008, 10:12 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs have the fifth overall pick in the draft. To get ready for it, they’re looking at some of the guys who are likely to be there when the Chiefs select.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, players visiting the Chiefs include Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, Idaho offensive tackle Ryan Clady and Virgnia offensive lineman Branden Albert. Ohio State defensive end/linebacker Vernon

Gholston is expected to visit later in the week.

The primary area of need seems to be on the offensive line, which has disintegrated over the past few years.

Seems weird for them to smokescreen if they were interested in ellis....

I believe they'll take Ellis assuming he's still there at 5.

Maybe but with the dropoff of their Oline I see them wanting to rebuild it asap.

Agreed, but with the unique player available, I think they'll take Ellis. He's unique. They can get o-linemen later who can play in the league. But they can't get anyone like Ellis. These types of D tackles are so rare I think Herm will jump on him. He covets just this kind of player. When he was with the Jets he drafted the now notorious (at least in these parts) Dewayne Robertson 4th overall. 3 technique guy with high character, Herm will go get him. I wish the Bengals would trade up and get this guy, because he's special and there is no way he'll fall to us.

According to the Kansas City beat writer who handicapped the Chiefs draft needs for the NFL Network...Kansas City needs to find 3 new starters for their O-Line in this draft.

Three.

Plus a new starting CB.

Which, of course, is precisely why King Carl will take Ellis. :lol:

According to the Kansas City beat writer who handicapped the Chiefs draft needs for the NFL Network...Kansas City needs to find 3 new starters for their O-Line in this draft.

Three.

Plus a new starting CB.

That being so, Marvin and Co. better be on the horn trying to swap 1st rounders with them and give them something a bit later to help their line. To me, this is sounding like two teams that can both benefit from the trade.

Three.

Plus a new starting CB.

That being so, Marvin and Co. better be on the horn trying to swap 1st rounders with them and give them something a bit later to help their line. To me, this is sounding like two teams that can both benefit from the trade.

I'm not worried about the Chiefs taking Ellis. Along with St Louis and Atlanta, they are teams in need of a DT upgrade. Problem is that all 3 teams have bigger needs at other positions, O-line especially. I'm sure we could trade with KC for less than the draft charts call for but I'm not convinced we need to trade up. The main danger would be that KC trades with someone else, maybe New Orleans, who takes a DT.

NO traded for Vilma this offseason and has a need at CB so I doubt they trade up. Teams further back are even less likely to move up to 5.

The big ? is will New England trade down with someone who will then pluck Ellis/Dorsey

I know the conventional wisdom is that Atlanta will take Dorsey at 3 but I just can't see it. That means Atlanta starts the season with Harrington, Redman, and Leftwich at the most important position...all of those guys have failed in the NFL. Ok so lets say they wait to pick a QB in Rd. 2. Ryan will be gone, I believe Henne and Brohm will also be gone so that means your taking Flacco? to groom as your starting QB? Again I think the risk is too great. The Bears, Vikes, Panthers, Bucs, Dolphins, Chiefs, Ravens and possibly the 49ers all need to come out of this draft with a QB. What happens if the Chiefs go Ryan, the Ravens go Brohm and the Vikes take Henne, then you roll around to the Dolphins in Rd. 2 and they take Flacco. The Falcons have a shot to take the best QB prospect in the draft, I cannot see them pass.

Miami: Jake Long

St. Louis: Vernon Gholston

Atlanta: Matt Ryan

Oakland: Darren McFadden (Al Davis will not pass on McFadden's speed)

Kansas City: Dorsey/Ellis (but could be a Tackle as well)

N.Y. Jets: Chris Long

New England: Leodis McKelvin

Baltimore: Brian Brohm (don't laugh, they have NOONE to play the position and cannot wait to the middle of Rd. 2 to find someone, they cannot go into this season with an ancient McNair, Boller, and Troy Smith)

Cincinnati: Sedrick Ellis

New Orleans: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie

That is how I see the top ten going

Three.

Plus a new starting CB.

Which, of course, is precisely why King Carl will take Ellis. :lol:

Anything is possible, and there are very good reasons I've mocked the job Carl Peterson has done for over a decade. Simply put, I think he's an idiot who creates more problems than he solves. That said, this drafts depth in offensive lineman shouldn't be enough to allow Peterson to continue ignoring the need for OL, especially in the 1st round. At best, the depth at OL gives him a realistic chance to actually get those three new starters only if he addresses those needs each time he has the opportunity. And again, he has other needs as well, including finding a CB who can start fairly soon.

Finally, if he's reluctant to pull the trigger on a 1st round OL because of concerns about poor value you have to wonder what Peterson would do if faced with the choice of Sedric Ellis and Matt Ryan. After all, Brodie Croyle didn't win a single game he started, produced very marginal numbers, wasn't highly drafted to begin with, and has a long uninterrupted history of injury. As for Ellis, the Chiefs selected DT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of last years draft, and selected a 1st round DE the prior year. Plus, they're using the franchise tag on the other starting DE position. During this same time period, even though they knew their OL was aging and falling apart, the Chiefs have spent just two 6th round picks on OG's who have barely played, and may never challenge for a starting role. The result is not only a huge problem of their own making, but has created a weakness that negates their biggest strength, RB Larry Johnson.

Just saying....