Chick Ludwig gives his view on the upcoming draft

I'll ALWAYS advocate drafting good linemen! Food for thought:

Bengals draft buzz: 1st round OT a must

By Chick Ludwig | Thursday, March 27, 2008, 12:39 PM

PRIORITY NO. 1: PROTECT CARSON PALMER

You name the area, any area, and the Cincinnati Bengals need help.

Not just at one position, but everywhere …

… everywhere except quarterback, where Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick are 1-2 with Jeff Rowe (I call him “Jethro”) and Jordan Palmer battling it out for No. 3.

Folks, I’m here to tell ya that I’m absolutely, positively convinced the Bengals should-must-will draft an offensive tackle with the No. 9 overall pick in the first round of the 2008 NFL draft on April 26.

Why? Because left tackle Levi Jones and right tackle Willie Anderson are hobbling around on bum knees and likely won’t be able to play a 16-game season.

And because Stacy Andrews, anointed with the franchise tag ($7.455 million), refuses to sign a long-term contract and will likely leave in 2009 as an unrestricted free agent.

The team’s No. 1 priority must always be keeping Palmer well-protected. That’s why an athletic OT is the way to go in the first round. Other needs (DT, C, LB, FS, SS, KR) can be addressed later.

REPEAT OF LEVI IN 2002

Remember back in 2002? The Bengals got RIPPED by ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and Chris Berman for selecting Levi Jones No. 10 overall. They needed a LT desperately, and Jones turned out to be an excellent pick.

It’s time to pull the trigger again.

Of course, conventional wisdom says to select the best defensive tackle available in the first round because the run defense is so weak.

Either LSU’s Glenn Dorsey or USC’s Sedrick Ellis should be there.

I say, “DON’T DO IT”

The top pick should be one of the following: Boise State’s Ryan Clady, Vanderbilt’s Chris Williams, Pitt’s Jeff Otah or Boston College’s Gosder Cherilus.

Readers should feel free to spank me if I’m wrong. But the more I look at it, the better an OT looks!

Troble is, none are 'elite LT' picks. Clady will be a serviceable LT or an elite RT, and Otah is strictly an RT. The jury is still oput on Williams - apparently his film does not coincide with his post-season.

I'd be more than happy to take one of the above if we trade down, but would rather try a 'project' - ala Stacy Andrews - then use a precious top ten pick on a RT.

Troble is, none are 'elite LT' picks. Clady will be a serviceable LT or an elite RT, and Otah is strictly an RT. The jury is still oput on Williams - apparently his film does not coincide with his post-season.

I'd be more than happy to take one of the above if we trade down, but would rather try a 'project' - ala Stacy Andrews - then use a precious top ten pick on a RT.

Let me preface this statement by saying Andrews has NOT been a bust even though it had it written all over him at first glance. Minimal football experience when we drafted him, but monstrous size offsetting that. He's learning, but obviously slower than I would like.

Who knows. Maybe this is the year it all starts clicking for him. I pray it does.

You are rushed to the emergency room after a bad circular saw accident. Your left arm is cut halfway off and bleeding badly. Uh oh! Unbeknownst to you, Chick Ludwig went to medical school and sees you as his first patient.

You: "Dr. Ludwig, I damn near cut my left arm off with my saw. I knew I shouldn't have been roofing after 18 beers. Can you save it?"

Dr. Chick Ludwig: "Hmm... Very interesting. But more importantly I'm noticing some stiffness in your right arm. If we don't take care of that right now, you could develop early stage arthritis by next year. Think I better open that right arm up and scrape the elbow, clean up any spurs in there."

You: "Are you s**tting me? I'm liable to bleed to death from this left arm! Agghhhmmffghhh..." (voice muffled as anesthesiologist masks you and puts you out.)

Dr. Chick Ludwig: "Nurse, prep that right arm, the Chickster's going in!"

You are rushed to the emergency room after a bad circular saw accident. Your left arm is cut halfway off and bleeding badly. Uh oh! Unbeknownst to you, Chick Ludwig went to medical school and sees you as his first patient.

You: "Dr. Ludwig, I damn near cut my left arm off with my saw. I knew I shouldn't have been roofing after 18 beers. Can you save it?"

Dr. Chick Ludwig: "Hmm... Very interesting. But more importantly I'm noticing some stiffness in your right arm. If we don't take care of that right now, you could develop early stage arthritis by next year. Think I better open that right arm up and scrape the elbow, clean up any spurs in there."

You: "Are you s**tting me? I'm liable to bleed to death from this left arm! Agghhhmmffghhh..." (voice muffled as anesthesiologist masks you and puts you out.)

Dr. Chick Ludwig: "Nurse, prep that right arm, the Chickster's going in!"

Funny reply, but time will tell if Mr. Ludwig called it. All I can say with any confidence at this point is that the Bengals WILL darft a lineman with the 1st pick. Offense or defense? I really can't say.

I know it would be insurance "IF" one of our Tackles goes down, but "IF" they don't, then it was nothing more than an insurance pick that has little impact his first season. On the other hand, Dorsey or Ellis is there when we pick, starts from the start and does nothing but help our pathetic excuse for a defense that hasn't been able to stop the run since forever. While I agree that OL may very well be the pick, if either of the two DT's are there, I really think it's not that close of a decision and DT is the pick...

WHODEY !!!

I know it would be insurance "IF" one of our Tackles goes down, but "IF" they don't, then it was nothing more than an insurance pick that has little impact his first season. On the other hand, Dorsey or Ellis is there when we pick, starts from the start and does nothing but help our pathetic excuse for a defense that hasn't been able to stop the run since forever. While I agree that OL may very well be the pick, if either of the two DT's are there, I really think it's not that close of a decision and DT is the pick...

WHODEY !!!

Dead on. The Bengals have too many places where a top pick could make an immediate impact -- defensive line, linebacker, running back, wide receiver -- to draft another Levi who sits most of the time, with the occasional appearance at TE in short yardage situations.

My preference on the offensive line would be to go after a top small-school o-lineman (or two) sometime in the 4-7 round range. Or, alternatively, you have that 3rd round comp pick which could be used to sweep up any solid o-line prospect who slips. And frankly there ought to be someone. This is a deep draft on the line, yet a lot of teams are projected to take offensive lineman in the first

isnt this the same Chick who argues with Marvin weekly and Marvin talks down to like he's his red headed step child, Im sure Chic is privy to all the inside info concerning the Bengals. He of all people knows probably less then any of us on this board. He cant even put 2 and 2 together when Marvin says he wants to rush the passer this year on defense.

BS-Flag.gif

isnt this the same Chick who argues with Marvin weekly and Marvin talks down to like he's his red headed step child, Im sure Chic is privy to all the inside info concerning the Bengals. He of all people knows probably less then any of us on this board. He cant even put 2 and 2 together when Marvin says he wants to rush the passer this year on defense.

BS-Flag.gif

I didn't view Chicks recent blog as anything akin to what you're alluding to. He clearly expressed these thoughts as his own opinion. As far as Marvin treating him as a red headed step child, (my apologies HOF) I believe that's not the situation. Chick pushes Marvin with hardball questions which aren't easy to field.

I'd rather read those responses than the batted softballs Hobson continually throws him.

BS-Flag.gif

I didn't view Chicks recent blog as anything akin to what you're alluding to. He clearly expressed these thoughts as his own opinion. As far as Marvin treating him as a red headed step child, (my apologies HOF) I believe that's not the situation. Chick pushes Marvin with hardball questions which aren't easy to field.

I'd rather read those responses than the batted softballs Hobson continually throws him.

Hardball questions are great when asked by someone with the knowledge and intelligence to know what to ask. Chick does not fall into that category.

That said, I agree that getting a top 10 offensive lineman would be a good thing for this team. However, a top 10 defensive lineman would be much better.

I agree with skyline, he really doesnt ask any questions that havent been asked before. He pretty much parrots other reporters thus pissing Marvin off which leads to the smart-alecky answers from Marvin. His article to me just seems like more of his weirdo bull sheat. Do they need a tackle sure after 4 other needs are taken care of. The Bengals are clearly trying to get a pass rush going finally, we should all be happy that Marvin has quit with the guru knows all BS and has finally gotten on board with the fans and decided to fix the pass rush and front seven.

If they thought there was a OT outside of Long that was a worthy top ten pick, they would have never franchised Stacy. If we draft another tackle in the top ten, we would have way too much money in one position. We would have over double the amount of the next highest team. I'm not for sure what the money is for the #9 pick but i'm going to assume around 3.5 million/ year average. That would be 22 million tied up in 4 players that will take up 2 spots. I know Stacy could play guard but Bobbie is making over 3 miilion himself and Whit isn't going anywhere. The only way this makes since is if we cut Willie or Levi and that would be stupid at this point because the Bengals could have saved significant coin if they would have cut Willie in January before his roster bonus. The more I think about it, the more I realize how dumb Ludwig really is.

Stacy is due 7.45 million

Willie 5.2 million

Levi 5.7 million

--------------

18.35 million

Hardball questions are great when asked by someone with the knowledge and intelligence to know what to ask.

IMHO Eric, hardball questions are great no matter who asks them. Granted, Chick is just a writer for a relatively small town newspaper, but it's hard to deny he asks Marvin Lewis succinct, critical questions nobody else does has, or will. Especially Mike Brown's lap puppy Geoff Hobson.

When a team has struggled for as long and hard as our Bengals have, someone needs to take a hard tone, and ask things that may make people uncomfortable. Especially head coaches. Basically Chick hasn't asked anything I haven't thought myself. He's not batting .1000, but he IS a clutch hitter.

I agree with skyline, he really doesnt ask any questions that havent been asked before.

You gotta be shi**ing me icehole. No other columnist ask questions that irritates the Bengals head coach (no matter who it is/has been) more than Chick Ludwig.

Hardball questions are great when asked by someone with the knowledge and intelligence to know what to ask.

IMHO Eric, hardball questions are great no matter who asks them. Granted, Chick is just a writer for a relatively small town newspaper, but it's hard to deny he asks Marvin Lewis succinct, critical questions nobody else does has, or will. Especially Mike Brown's lap puppy Geoff Hobson.

When a team has struggled for as long and hard as our Bengals have, someone needs to take a hard tone, and ask things that may make people uncomfortable. Especially head coaches. Basically Chick hasn't asked anything I haven't thought myself. He's not batting .1000, but he IS a clutch hitter.

I just remember the last encounter that made headlines, and Chick's questions were NOT critical questions. He was criticizing things that he knew nothing about. Marvin put him in his place, and he just kept at it.

There's pushing, because you know you're right, and then there's pushing for the sake of...well...pushing.

If that's good journalism, then I guess I no longer have any use for the press.

I just remember the last encounter that made headlines, and Chick's questions were NOT critical questions. He was criticizing things that he knew nothing about. Marvin put him in his place, and he just kept at it.

There's pushing, because you know you're right, and then there's pushing for the sake of...well...pushing.

I won't argue Chick was pushing there. I'll leave it at that.

Ludwig is an idiot... I wish they'd ban his butt from the press conferences... How many times have they already talked about something only to have this tool ask again and again?? Smoke another cigeratette Chickie... Chick doesn't know what the Bengals need or who they will take any more than you or I...

we should all be happy that Marvin has quit with the guru knows all BS and has finally gotten on board with the fans and decided to fix the pass rush and front seven.

Surely you are joking, Ice.

Get on board with the fans? You gotta be sh*tting me.

How many years have you heard Lewis say "we're gonna coach up our guys and get the defense fixed." Thats not what the fans have been thinking, for years fans have said get rid of Justin Smith and Thornton guys like that and get some folks in here to rush the passer, after the season ended he said they would address the pass rush, that to me is getting on board or agreeing with the fans, I dont know what you call it.

doh.gif

I won't argue Chick was pushing there. I'll leave it at that.

He pushes the same old questions is what Im trying to say

If they thought there was a OT outside of Long that was a worthy top ten pick, they would have never franchised Stacy. If we draft another tackle in the top ten, we would have way too much money in one position. We would have over double the amount of the next highest team. I'm not for sure what the money is for the #9 pick but i'm going to assume around 3.5 million/ year average. That would be 22 million tied up in 4 players that will take up 2 spots. I know Stacy could play guard but Bobbie is making over 3 miilion himself and Whit isn't going anywhere. The only way this makes since is if we cut Willie or Levi and that would be stupid at this point because the Bengals could have saved significant coin if they would have cut Willie in January before his roster bonus. The more I think about it, the more I realize how dumb Ludwig really is.

Stacy is due 7.45 million

Willie 5.2 million

Levi 5.7 million

--------------

18.35 million

The fact that Stacy Andrews commanded a 7.5 mill deal shows the logic of Ludwig. Here's a guy with basically 1 year as a starter and his market price is 7.5 million. Don't tell me the Bengals overpaid all that much. How often do the Bengals overpay in the Marvin era? OT's are a premium position in the NFL, just below the QB. As in the NBA, its true in the NFL, BIG MEN THAT ARE ATHLETIC AND CAN MOVE THEIR FEET MAKE MOST OF THE MONEY. Stacy at 6' 7" meets all the qualifications for a NFL Big Man. Added to Lugwig's logic is their investment in Carson Palmer's career. What is that 120 million? Does a DT keep him safe? LT & RT's do that and ours are questionable.

OT is a huge need for the Bengals as is DT. The good news is that a #9 pick will get you a man that fills one of the those needs.

I still say we go DL in round one. Levi looked to be back to form by the end of the year last year and if Willie isn't ready to go, Stacy will be. We can still get a quality OL in rounds 2 or 3. I would like to see the Bengals reach a long-term deal with Stacy. I think 7.5 mil for him is just too much.

yeah, I don't understand why we don't have a deal with Andrews already. We could just offer him the same deal his brother Shawn the pro-bowler has and it would save the team money. If we'd just agreed to whatever his agent was asking for after his RFA year, we'd be ahead of the game.

How about 6 years, 43 million with 12 mil signing bonus and the first year guaranteed? We could have yearly salaries of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 mil with 2 mil per year in prorated signing bonus. Assuming Willie retires or is released after 2008, that would save the team plenty while paying Andrews a lot. He'd take in 15 mil this season and be set for life even if he had a career ending injury.