It is now officially time to talk about WR's in the draft

Clackwoods

OK, before we cut the thug we were a little uncertain about our WR position. Now, what recievers are going to be available to us in the second round and who should we take? I think all but the top two will be available and I think Manningham is our guy. He comes from a high character school (For the most part) and he stepped up against some very good competition this year. I have heard complaints about his speed, but timed speed isn't everything. Also, does anyone think it is possible we may go with a WR in the first round if the top four DL are gone and we decide to pass on Rivers (Who had a very impressive pro day).

does anyone think it is possible we may go with a WR in the first round if the top four DL are gone

Let me say that before Henry was released, I was totally against drafting a WR on day one of the draft. Due to current events, I am now thinking WR with our #2 pick.

No chance on drafting a receiver in the first round. I'd like to see them go after a player like James Hardy or Limas Sweed in the second (if they fall that far) or Marcus Monk later on in the draft. One thing we don't have with Henry's release is a tall receiver. Manningham is like, six feet tall, and he has an attitude problem (from what I've seen and heard) and his hands are unreliable. No thank you.

If the Bengals had to take a smaller receiver, I would like to see them go with:

1. Early Doucet (Has had injury problems, but he's fast as hell and catches EVERYTHING. Will likely be gone early -- 1st/2nd round depending on what source you go to.)

2. Eddie Royal (SPEED. Playmaker with the ball in his hands. Could work the slot really well and double as a quality PR/KR man. Probably 3rd round material.)

3. Jerome Simpson (Coastal Carolina's finest, he's 6'2 200, and averaged almost 17 YPC throughout his career. He was one of the best performers at the Shrine Game, and proved he has the talent to play in The League. Likely a 3rd or 4th round pick.)

What about Manningham at #9?

Manningham is trading in on Michigan's reputation for recievers, similar to Dan Connor & Penn State. He'll be avialable at #46, and would still be a reach. He might be there in the 3rd.

If you want a 2nd rounder, hope for Doucet or Royal. More likely, we'll target a 3rd rounder.

Fortunately, this draft is EXTREMELY deep at WR. For example:

WR - the 10th - 12th rated WR's would have been mid-2nd rounders last year, BUT WILL BE THERE LATE IN THE 3RD 'CAUSE THIS DRAFT IS SO FREAKIN' DEEP. They are

10) Jordy Nelson, Kan St - Ht: 6-2. Wgt: 217. 40 Time: 4.4. Link:

11) Andre Caldwell, Fla - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 204. 40 Time: 4.37. Link: bye-bye Bubba

12) William Franklin, Mo - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 214. 40 Time: 4.37. Link:

SLEEPER ALERT: I REALLY like that kid from Richmond in the 5th or 6th:

Arman Shields, Richmond - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 194. 40 Time: 4.37. He had a 38" vertical - the kid has springs, and reportedly very 'soft' hands!

Manningham is over-rated!

TRADE DOWN !!! :beatdeadhorse:

What about Manningham at #9?

Manningham is trading in on Michigan's reputation for recievers, similar to Dan Connor & Penn State. He'll be avialable at #46, and would still be a reach. He might be there in the 3rd.

If you want a 2nd rounder, hope for Doucet or Royal. More likely, we'll target a 3rd rounder.

Fortunately, this draft is EXTREMELY deep at WR. For example:

WR - the 10th - 12th rated WR's would have been mid-2nd rounders last year, BUT WILL BE THERE LATE IN THE 3RD 'CAUSE THIS DRAFT IS SO FREAKIN' DEEP. They are

10) Jordy Nelson, Kan St - Ht: 6-2. Wgt: 217. 40 Time: 4.4. Link:

11) Andre Caldwell, Fla - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 204. 40 Time: 4.37. Link: bye-bye Bubba

12) William Franklin, Mo - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 214. 40 Time: 4.37. Link:

SLEEPER ALERT: I REALLY like that kid from Richmond in the 5th or 6th:

Arman Shields, Richmond - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 194. 40 Time: 4.37. He had a 38" vertical - the kid has springs, and reportedly very 'soft' hands!

Manningham is over-rated!

I don't like any of the 6'0 'ers. I want someone thats more like 6'3 with Henry's speed. Matter of fact, I want another Henry damnit!

I don't like any of the 6'0 'ers. I want someone thats more like 6'3 with Henry's speed. Matter of fact, I want another Henry damnit!

Sweed & Hardy are the two top WR's with height (6'4" or 6'5"), but they'll go between picks 20 and 40. They're kind of very good #2 recievers, anyway.

Of the others, Monk (6'5") blew out both knees and everybody else is too damn slow. You might be better off with a really fast TE (Keller, Tamme, Davis) than a bigger, slower WR (Bowman, Wainwright, Marcus Henry).

There sure alot of lightning quick smurf recievers out there.

Sweed & Hardy are the two top WR's with height (6'4" or 6'5"), but they'll go between picks 20 and 40. They're kind of very good #2 recievers, anyway.

Of the others, Monk (6'5") blew out both knees and everybody else is too damn slow. You might be better off with a really fast TE (Keller, Tamme, Davis) than a bigger, slower WR (Bowman, Wainwright, Marcus Henry).

There sure alot of lightning quick smurf recievers out there.

What about Malcolm Kelly? I think he is rated higher than both Sweed and Hardy. Kelly would have to be our first round pick if the Bengals wanted him. I think he is exactly the type of Wr the Bengals need to replace Henry, and who will eventually take over either Chad or TJ's spot in the future. Sweed has had a major wrist injury that could be a major concern for him. I also like the possibility of drafting a guy that is super fast, but is under 6'0 who can also help in the return game. Someone like Peter Warrick but a lot faster than Peter was. Somone like Antohny Aldridge.

Anthony Alridge ST/WR Houston

5'9" 170 4.3

STRENGTHS

There is nothing not to like about the way Anthony plays the game of football. He is quick and fast and has excellent hands. He runs great routes and looks to be very smart. Anthony will put his body on the line to make a play and is a good blocker. He will be an excellent return man for the team that drafts him because he has the ability to score from anywhere on the field at any time. I call him Anthony (Lightning) Alridge because he can score a TD as quick as lightning can strike.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Anthony is vertically challenged and will need to bulk up. The truth is Anthony is a specialty player and not a starter. He is a match-up nightmare as a slot WR, but will have problems as a full time WR because of his lack of bulk to take the pounding.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2

Like I said, Anthony is a match up nightmare for defensive coordinators. As a slot receiver, he is too fast for a LB to cover and too quick for most safeties. If you put him in motion and keep him away from the bump and run, he will kill a defense on third down. Anthony has fun when he plays, but don’t be fooled -- this kid plays hard on every down and on every play. He seems to handle the pressure of responsibility with ease. In fact, he likes the limelight but not in a way that it shows up his teammates. He seems to be very team oriented. Anthony is a specialty player who can impact a game without touching the ball a whole hell of a lot. Drafting player with Anthony’s talents in the second or third round is one of the smartest things a team can do. You add speed and quickness to your third down offense as well as to your Special Teams return game, which is impacting two areas of your team with one draft choice. Do you really expect to do more than that when you draft a player in a draft? Anthony (Lightning) Alridge can score a TD as quick as lightning can strike.

What about Malcolm Kelly? I think he is rated higher than both Sweed and Hardy.

Malcolm Kelly, Okla. Hgt: 6-3. Wgt: 224. 40 Time: 4.47. Malcolm Kelly skipped the combine. Then he skipped his Pro Day. Kelly has been criticized for not toughing it out and working out despite a thigh injury. He's definitely a prima donna. His stock has dipped a bit, but I still think he's the most talented wide out in this class.

Do you really want another Ocho Cinco? Do you really want to trade an elite defensive player (Ellis, Harvey, Rivers) for a Kelly, knowing there are faster, taller, and smarter kids later in the draft?

As far as Anthony Alridge - never heard of him. I have Avery, from Houston, ranked alot lower than alot of mockers because Houston recievers are almosy always a product of the system (Run 'n' Gun). If he's that good, we could grab him in the 7th - or some of the KY recievers.

Fwiw, in one mock draft I participate in every year that we take through three rounds, the following seven WRs were taken (interestingly, all taken in the 1st round in this particular exercise) before my pick just now came up in the 2nd round for the Bengals:

Malcolm Kelly

Limas Sweed

James Hardy

Early Doucet

Deon Thomas

DeSean Jackson

Mario Manningham

With those players off the board, I took Andre Caldwell from Florida in the 2nd round.

Btw, to those of you who think I am completely insane with my "draft offense early and often" philosophy for this draft, in this particular mock, Sed Ellis was available for the Bengals in first round, and I took him at that point.

Nobody here has mentioned Bennet from Vanderbilt. Do people not feel his game will translate well to the NFL?

Skee-lee-nee !! Long time, bro!

As the self-proclaimed draft expert on this board (just ask Hair 'n' Hoosier :P ), I have Bennett rated after our 2nd pick (Doucet - Royal) and before our 1st 3rd rounder (Nelson-Caldwell-Franklin). If he's there late in the 3rd, and we want a slot receiver with no return experience, he's the guy. :lol:

He's kind of hard to figure - he plays fast, but only ran a 4.5, and his film can't tell you alot 'cause his QB sucked.

Nobody here has mentioned Bennet from Vanderbilt. Do people not feel his game will translate well to the NFL?

Skee-lee-nee !! Long time, bro!

As the self-proclaimed draft expert on this board (just ask Hair 'n' Hoosier :P ), I have Bennett rated after our 2nd pick (Doucet - Royal) and before our 1st 3rd rounder (Nelson-Caldwell-Franklin). If he's there late in the 3rd, and we want a slot receiver with no return experience, he's the guy. :lol:

He's kind of hard to figure - he plays fast, but only ran a 4.5, and his film can't tell you alot 'cause his QB sucked.

Last year yes, but there's plenty of footage from the Cutler days to look at :)

If this guy is available in round 6 or 7 give him a shot:

WR Chaz Schilens (6-4, 208): Ran the 40 in 4.38 and 4.39, had a 43-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 3-inch long jump, 4.25 short shuttle, 6.84 cone drill, and ran position drills.

He didn't have great college stats but it might be worth it to take him late.

I still think defense should he the top priorty with the #1 and possibly even the #2 pick, depending on who is available. A WR with the 3rd pick would be perfect...there are enough out there that there is no need to panic and take one before the needs on defense are addressed.

There is no receiver out there worth taking at #9 overall imo.

As the self-proclaimed draft expert on this board (just ask Hair 'n' Hoosier :P ),

I can't speak for Hoosier but you're welcome to the title. Simply put, I'm no draft expert....just some guy with a bunch of opinions, many of them of the wildass variety. And along those lines....

I don't have much to add to what's already been said, but I will throw this nugget on the fire. Finding an immediate replacement for Chris Henry is probably less critical than finding a player now who can replace Chad next season. And that means a wideout with the skills and upside to eventually become a true #1 WR, not a new #3 or a player destined for slot duty. And that may dictate a move up from #46.

Packaging the 2nd round pick with the 4th rounder moves the Bengals into the top of the 2nd round. Packing the 2nd round pick with the Bengals original 3rd round pick should move them into the late 1st round (Est.#27)

Just saying...

Btw, to those of you who think I am completely insane with my "draft offense early and often" philosophy for this draft, in this particular mock, Sed Ellis was available for the Bengals in first round, and I took him at that point.

:jawdrop: You!?! Picked a defensive player #1!?! :shocking: Why?

I can't speak for Hoosier

Since when? :P

I don't have much to add to what's already been said, but I will throw this nugget on the fire. Finding an immediate replacement for Chris Henry is probably less critical than finding a player now who can replace Chad next season. And that means a wideout with the skills and upside to eventually become a true #1 WR, not a new #3 or a player destined for slot duty. And that may dictate a move up from #46.

Packaging the 2nd round pick with the 4th rounder moves the Bengals into the top of the 2nd round. Packing the 2nd round pick with the Bengals original 3rd round pick should move them into the late 1st round (Est.#27)

Just saying...

Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines. I've been pimping Hardy for a while now -- despite his 2006 domestic battery run-in -- but no way he's there when we get the call in the second. Of course, if they use the third to pop up a couple places in the first to snag Ellis, we're stuck...

They need to draft a Center on day one, the best one in the draft if he's there in the 2nd.

A guard's ok too. Protecting Palmer is their only hope for the short term. They don't need a Tackle, but they need to see who shows up healthy and make a decision on Whitworth's future position. I assume they'll let Andrews de-value this year, or prove he's worth an investment.

They have 4 natural tackles on the roster, with either proven or high ceilings, and two crappy centers, an aging, average RG, and and an out-of-position LG.

Sure Ellis would almost be impossible to pass-up, so I think a DT or LB in the 1st and an interior lineman in the 2nd would be ideal IMO.

:jawdrop: You!?! Picked a defensive player #1!?! :shocking: Why?

Because if Ellis is there, he's the logical choice. Where I depart from you is if Ellis is gone. In that case, I do NOT want them reaching for defense in panic, but rather taking the best player available if it is at OL, WR, or RB that is there.