Explain to me the worst case scenario with trading Chad

walzav29

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that eats 8 million up in cap space if they trade him, but what would the effect be? Cutting players? The 2008 season is on the line, and Championship teams don't fall for this stuff. He's gotta go, but if you can't you can't.

Well since none of the "we can't trade Chad because of the cap hit" people are responding, I think it is fairly obvious that the real reason the Bengals are reluctant to trade Chad has nothing to do with the salary cap, and everything to do with keeping butts in the seats. Mike Brown just does not want to trade one of his most popular albeit controversial players. There are creative ways to manipulate the salary cap to minimize the cap hit of trading Chad. I don't proclaim to be a cap genius, but I think we all have read enough articles about how other teams are able to make adjustments without using the salary cap as an excuse.

Worse case scenario would be the Bengals not getting enough compensation for Chad. I say they need to talk to teams like the Raiders, Chargers, or Jags or any other team without a clearcut number one receiver to see what they might be able to get in draft picks for him. Al Davis is probably crazy enough to give the Bengals his #4 pick at least for Chad. It has been well documented how displeased he was with the Randy Moss trade and he always is looking for a star playmaker in the WR position.

The 2008 season is on the line

Oh for gawd's sake. No, the season is not on the line because of Chad. Shoot, how the Bengals do in 2008 is going to depend far, far, far more on how many functional knees Willie and Levi can cobble together, whether any of our RBs is worth a damn, and whether our D as a whole can do something other than suck.

Wasn't it the Raiders that gave up the # 7 pick in the draft back in '04 , a conditional pick and LB,Napolean Harris to get Randy Moss a couple of years ago ??

:rolleyes:

But Hey, If " Crazy " Al Davis wants to give up #4 this year, and lets Say Tommy Howard or Kirk Morrison, and a conditional pick next year ... for Chad ????

DO IT !

We' would keep # 9, and trade # 4 to the Cowboys so they could get Darren McFadden. They would have to give up Both # 1's and a 3rd ( I'll check the trade value chart to be sure ).

But At # 9, we could take the best player available.

# 22, grab a wide receiver.... Devin Thomas, Limas Sweed ??

# 28, Antoine Cason, or Kenny Phillips ??

I'm Not saying...... I'm just saying... :lol::lol:

After a loss where Chad only gets one catch it will turn into the pouting Chad show. Week in and Week out. I've seen this before with the Eagles, Vikings, Raiders. It has a huge negative effect, but I hear everyone saying that they Bengals won't do it because of the cap hit. What would be the results?

The green retard will be by shortly to tell how you how that idea sucks chris, no biggie. Shouldn't his a BZ posters secret lover like that, homie.

Despite the obvious sarcasm of my post ( I guess not :blink: ) for some, but anyway, what would suck about that Idea...

You mean to tell me if the Raiders said......

We Want Chad Johnson. We'll give you the # 4 pick in the draft !, A conditional pick in next year's draft, ( let's say, not to exceed a 2nd or 3rd rounder )

and either Thomas Howard or Kirk Morrison , You wouldn't Jump on that Deal ????

Is your last name Brown, or Blackburn ???? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

We Want Chad Johnson. We'll give you the # 4 pick in the draft !, A conditional pick in next year's draft, ( let's say, not to exceed a 2nd or 3rd rounder )

It doesn't matter = God-all would nix the deal (maybe citing the previous Oakland-Cincinnati trade to blow-up.....Vida Blue!! :lol: )

The green retard will be by shortly to tell how you how that idea sucks chris, no biggie. Shouldn't his a BZ posters secret lover like that, homie.

Despite the obvious sarcasm of my post ( I guess not :blink: ) for some, but anyway, what would suck about that Idea...

Is your last name Brown, or Blackburn ???? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Oh, I'd do that deal in a nano-second. I'd take Howard, at #4 we'd have our choice of Dorsey or Ellis and the extra pick in '09 would let us put off buring a high pick on an LB this year.

I'd pack CJ's junk for him, pay for the movers, and even buy a Chad 85 OAK jersey.

No, his suggestion actually makes a little sense. Trading Chad Johnson for Terry Glenn makes absolutely zero sense, :lmao: . Terry Glenn? :lmao:

I know my writing is a little bad, but damn homie, yours is brutal.

Worst case scenario is the team can't replace his production. He did set the franchise record for receiving yards last season. Maybe Henry or TJ gets dinged up and misses a couple games. Instead of a deep WR corps, we'd have no depth.

Gotdamn, everyone welcome a little bit of fresh common sense to the boards! Its about time... Nice post Sparky :sure:

It's not just a matter of worst case scenario. It's what actually would happen. Teams would stack the box because they have no fear of our passing game, so we can't run the ball. Our passing offense averages about 3 yards per pass because all we can do is short dinking and dunking. TJ gets frustrated and and starts blowing up because he can't shake all the double teams that he gets and becomes a cancer, we don't have time to get anyone open downfield because opposing defenses just send everyone after Palmer, not worried about getting beat for big plays. Our scoring average drops way off becasue we can't get in the end zone since it's impossible to sustain 23 play drives when you are getting 3 and 4 yards per pass play.

Our defense show improvement, but just like last season, gets no help from our offense and we finish about 6-10 at best.

It's not just a matter of worst case scenario. It's what actually would happen. Teams would stack the box because they have no fear of our passing game, so we can't run the ball. Our passing offense averages about 3 yards per pass because all we can do is short dinking and dunking. TJ gets frustrated and and starts blowing up because he can't shake all the double teams that he gets and becomes a cancer, we don't have time to get anyone open downfield because opposing defenses just send everyone after Palmer, not worried about getting beat for big plays. Our scoring average drops way off becasue we can't get in the end zone since it's impossible to sustain 23 play drives when you are getting 3 and 4 yards per pass play.

Our defense show improvement, but just like last season, gets no help from our offense and we finish about 6-10 at best.

you really must think Carson is Kyle Boller, or Kitna. Teams fear Carson.

How did Brady do it before Moss got there? He never had a CJ type guy. Seemed to me to be successful.

How did Favre do it? He had Walker for a bit but Driver is no CJ. Seemed to me to be successful.

I think you underestimate Carson's ability to be successful if CJ were to go buh-bye. It would be better if he were here, sure, but if not, this team will adjust.

I also think you underestimate how much Henry can impact a game. Obviously he is a different style WR but CH and TJ are more than capable WR's and not going to be pinned down to 3-4 yrd dink-dunk production. Just not going to happen with Carson pulling the trigger.

This hasn't answered my question, but let's suppose that they do trade him. Building up the running game. Making the running game the 1st option. I think that Henry and Housh would be fine receivers. Depending on the trade. We could get a Bell-Cow running back.

It seems to me that we're damned if we keep him and damned if we trade him. I'm now starting to feel sick about this season.

I miss the days of my youth where I had unabashed optimism about that year's Bengals team finally turning the corner--David Klingler was going to be the answer, the trade up to get Ki-Jana was a can't-miss situation, Jeff Blake to Carl Pickens was going to be the next Montana-to-Rice, etc.

Now I feel like I may just be doomed to a lifetime of disappointment.

At least Xavier won.

How did Brady do it before Moss got there? He never had a CJ type guy. Seemed to me to be successful.

How did Favre do it? He had Walker for a bit but Driver is no CJ. Seemed to me to be successful.

I think you underestimate Carson's ability to be successful if CJ were to go buh-bye. It would be better if he were here, sure, but if not, this team will adjust.

I also think you underestimate how much Henry can impact a game. Obviously he is a different style WR but CH and TJ are more than capable WR's and not going to be pinned down to 3-4 yrd dink-dunk production. Just not going to happen with Carson pulling the trigger.

Dude, it happened last year with Carson pulling the trigger WITH Chad Johnson. TJ still averaged like 2 yards per catch and we had trouble sustainingdrives. It would be just that much worse without Chad.

You guys are getting pretty melodramatic. It's all doom and gloom because Chad's pissed off about the media and some jackass fans turning on him after he has worked his ass off for this team for the last few years. Well, if that's how fans are going to treat their players around here, then maybe all they deserve is doom and gloom.

I'm very optimistic about this seaon, by the way.

You guys are getting pretty melodramatic. It's all doom and gloom because Chad's pissed off about the media and some jackass fans turning on him after he has worked his ass off for this team for the last few years. Well, if that's how fans are going to treat their players around here, then maybe all they deserve is doom and gloom.

All that work he's done in the off season doesn't mean s**t if he isn't playing hard, and he isn't. He's not a "leave it all on the field" type of player, and that's just how it is.

Even if they did lose Chad, You guys are forgetting that Chris Henry is one of the best deep threats in the league when he stays out of trouble. And he's stayed out of trouble since getting suspended.

I look at it this way. Chad Johnson is a douchebag with a huge but remarkably fragile ego whose immaturity cost this team several victories last season. In fact, during a stretch of three or four games, each considered must win games, Chad Johnson dropped more yardage than he caught...including several passes that should have resulted in TD's.

Why anyone would expect anything else from that guy this season is just pie-in-the-sky wishing and hoping.

Dude, it happened last year with Carson pulling the trigger WITH Chad Johnson. TJ still averaged like 2 yards per catch and we had trouble sustainingdrives. It would be just that much worse without Chad.

Sustaining drives had as much to do iwth playcalling as it did any one persons effectiveness or shortcomings. Often, with the effort that Chad put in for some games, he was far more of a problem than a help, plus much of this was without Henry and during a stretch where we HAD to throw since the D was all kinds of injured and decrepid and being scored on at will.

I have no problem with the idea that should there be no CJ, Carson, TJ, Henry, Mr. #3 (Chatman, Holt, Rookie, etc.), Watson, DeDe and maybe Utecht, will all be able to get enough passes to sustain drives and score on anyone. Throw in an even half decent running game and I just don't see what the big problem is. The probelm will have already exited the tri-state area in one Chad Johnson.

What was the problem again?

I look at it this way. Chad Johnson is a douchebag with a huge but remarkably fragile ego whose immaturity cost this team several victories last season. In fact, during a stretch of three or four games, each considered must win games, Chad Johnson dropped more yardage than he caught...including several passes that should have resulted in TD's.

Why anyone would expect anything else from that guy this season is just pie-in-the-sky wishing and hoping.

No doubt.

I still have nightmares from his effort in the Arizona game.

No doubt.

I still have nightmares from his effort in the Arizona game.

Well now, if that's the way you two feel, you're bitching about the wrong person, aren't you?

If Chad Johnson deserves to be shown the door for performance reasons, then his "trade me" act is irrelevant. And if he deserves to be shown the door for performance reasons, the guy blocking the exit isn't Ocho Cinqo. It's Mike Brown.